PDA

View Full Version : Nasty IG Unit

Stiff Neck Studio
10-28-2009, 11:06 AM
Ok so I was looking at a daemon hunter codex and an IG codex last night and stumbled across a very nasty little combo. The way it works is you have a Psyker battle squad (8 psykers and the overseer) and you take the daemonhunter aly inquisitor lord and a caluxes assassin. The assassin has a weapon that is strength 5 AP1 and is assualt 2 but or every psyker you have in 12 inches the assualt number on the weapon goes up one. So if you have the assassin within 12 inches of a chimera with a psyker battle squad in it the assassins weapon becomes Assualt 10 !!! Say goodbye to a deepstriking terminator squad if you have a couple mystics in the inquisitor lords retinue. LOL Just nasty. It's not the best use of the assassin in my mind as I would rather her be on the other side of the table but I thought it was a nasty little side effect.

Xas
10-28-2009, 12:25 PM
play apoc, ally with tyranids and drop the assasin(s :D) between 2-3 squads of tyranid warriors (who each is a psyker due to synapse).

assoult20 weapons are nice. and unlike the PBS the tyranids dont mind their lds dropping because they auto pass all lds test they may come across :)

Melissia
10-28-2009, 12:38 PM
Better idea. Make the Calixis Assassin join the Psyker Battle Squad inside the chimera (I think he can join at any rate, I never use assassins myself), and ride around zapping and shooting people.

Consadine
10-28-2009, 01:07 PM
Better idea. Make the Calixis Assassin join the Psyker Battle Squad inside the chimera (I think he can join at any rate, I never use assassins myself), and ride around zapping and shooting people.

That has never come up in any discussion about this that I've heard/read. Cool... and the psyker squad can get their shooting attack on top of that, right? Just has to be at the same unit the assassin shot at.

Chumbalaya
10-28-2009, 01:15 PM
I don't think Assassins are ICs.

It's a neat idea, but not terribly practical thanks to the short range and medium S.

Lord Azaghul
10-28-2009, 01:25 PM
I've actually been hearing about that one for quite a while, but I have yet to see anybody actually try it out.

Consadine
10-28-2009, 01:26 PM
Looked at the Daemonhunter Assassin entry, they can't ride in vehicles or join units. Bummer :( You could still run him behind the Chimera though, right, using it to block LoS until he's close.

RocketRollRebel
10-29-2009, 01:55 AM
Looked at the Daemonhunter Assassin entry, they can't ride in vehicles or join units. Bummer :( You could still run him behind the Chimera though, right, using it to block LoS until he's close.

I haven't touched my assassins yet in 5th ed but I have heard of this trick. Could be pretty funny to pull off but it seems a bit to reliant on too many factors coming together at the right time to be truly nasty.

Yhcrana
10-29-2009, 03:24 PM
As soon as the new guard book came out I tried this one on my friends as a joke, I proxied 2 PBS and had my assassin running around with an assault 20 gun.

Quite nasty when you infiltrate the assassin then 2 valks fly in with 2 PBS squads and you blast a squad to death.

Ivarr
10-29-2009, 08:11 PM
When the first IG player in our store brought this up, it caused him to receive several death threats...which escalated to some pretty good shouting matches. It is a very rude use of the new codex...but should be relatively effective if you can get everything in the right places.

tallyrand
10-29-2009, 09:07 PM
I've looked at this, and the major drawback I see here is that any unit, friend or foe, within 12" of the Assassin gets their Leadership lowered to 7, thus making the Psykers much less reliable.