PDA

View Full Version : Can I do this?

Tyrsday
10-28-2009, 11:45 AM
Okay so I pulled something in a friendly game last night that was a little cheesy, but hilarious and we could no fault in its logic. My opponent had a Wave Serpent chilling near some Rangers holed up in a building. I combat moved a Rhino with a pack of Grey Hunters armed with a flamer and a meltagun up next to the Wave Serpent and shot it with both special weapons. Knowing full well that the flamer couldn't harm the vehicle I angled the template so that, while still hitting the hull of the Wave Serpent, blasted the squad of Rangers killing three of the five. I then proceeded to miss with the meltagun, but I just want to make sure that this strategy is legit. We could find nothing stating the contrary so we just laughed it off as a hilarious and devious plan.

Lindargo
10-28-2009, 12:03 PM
Its absolutely legal! The rules say you can affect two units so why not?

phoenyxx
10-28-2009, 12:04 PM
It depends on how you placed the flamer. The flamer template must be placed so as to cover the maximum amount of the vehicle as possible. Otherwise it's a perfectly legitimate maneuver.

Phoenyxx

Tyrsday
10-28-2009, 12:07 PM
Alright, thanks. I did, that's why I only got 3 of them instead of the whole squad, but I just wanted to make sure I could.

Chumbalaya
10-28-2009, 01:12 PM
You have to get the maximum number of models, so go nuts.

Did the same to a Hammerhead and its drones so I still counted as shooting the Hammerhead so I could charge it.

PhoenixFlame
11-05-2009, 07:02 AM
Yup, I use this a lot on my hit-and-run daemon prince to take bites out of things like Tyrant Guard w/o having to assault into a full strength unit... massed gaunts can be used as cover in more than one way ;) (applies elsewhere too of course, but I find I use it most against swarm armies)

DarkLink
11-05-2009, 12:52 PM
One of my games, I pointed this out to my opponent, particularly that you can shoot models in CC doing this*. Later that game, he used it to fry half my Grey Knight squad locked in combat with Lysander:mad:. At least my Justicar singlehandedly killed Lysander in that assault phase:D.

*The only other way to shoot models in CC is a scattering blast template. Or a Vindicare assassin, too.

ChrisW
11-05-2009, 01:14 PM
evil, devious, and adding more flamers to the mix as i type!

Sam
11-06-2009, 02:10 PM
It depends on how you placed the flamer. The flamer template must be placed so as to cover the maximum amount of the vehicle as possible. Otherwise it's a perfectly legitimate maneuver.

Phoenyxx

You have to cover as many models in the target unit as possible. It never say that you have to cover the largest area of a single model as possible. If the tank is under the template at all, it is covered by the template.

Edit: I stand corrected, it does state that you must cover as much of the vehicle as possible.

EmperorEternalXIX
11-12-2009, 10:24 PM
Isn't there a rule that says you can't flame through vehicles somewhere?

DarkLink
11-12-2009, 10:36 PM
Isn't there a rule that says you can't flame through vehicles somewhere?

Not to my knowlege. Aside from needing LOS to shoot a target, it doesn't matter if a vehicle is in the way of your template, so long as it isn't your own vehicle.

volrath8754
11-13-2009, 08:30 AM
One of my games, I pointed this out to my opponent, particularly that you can shoot models in CC doing this*. Later that game, he used it to fry half my Grey Knight squad locked in combat with Lysander:mad:. At least my Justicar singlehandedly killed Lysander in that assault phase:D.

*The only other way to shoot models in CC is a scattering blast template. Or a Vindicare assassin, too.

So group vote is this actually legit???????? I have always assumed as with everyone at my local club that you can't intentionally place a flamer over units in cc even if they are the secondary target?????

Nabterayl
11-13-2009, 11:57 AM
That's certainly my vote, yes - within the restrictions about covering as many models as possible/as much as the vehicle as possible in the target unit, and not covering any friendly models.

DarkLink
11-13-2009, 12:22 PM
So group vote is this actually legit???????? I have always assumed as with everyone at my local club that you can't intentionally place a flamer over units in cc even if they are the secondary target?????

There's no restrictions regarding intervening models that the flamer template covers, aside from not touching your own guys and being required to cover as many models in the target unit as possible. Clipping other units is perfectly legal, and there's nothing that prevents you from clipping units locked in CC. To the best of my knowledge anyways.

pgarfunkle
11-13-2009, 12:36 PM
While it doesn't discuss flamers the entry for blast weapons state that the template can scatter onto close combat

lobster-overlord
11-13-2009, 02:53 PM
Apocalypse Templates make this even more fun. Shoot a vehicle and catch half of a Green Tide under an Apoc Barrage template with a Hellhammer. Tons of fun.