PDA

View Full Version : SW 1750 Tourney list

Tyrsday
10-28-2009, 12:04 PM
Questions, comments, concerns, and addendum are all welcome. This is for a 1750 tournament in a month or so. Thanks.

Njal Stormcaller-245
Terminator armor-25

Wolf Lord Sven Bloodhowl-100
Plasma pistol(15), Frostblade(25), Runic Armor(20), Wolftooth Necklace(10), Wolftail Talisman(5), Belt of Russ(25), Saga of the Warrior Born(35), Jump pack(25)-160

Lone Wolf-20
Terminator Armor(25), Chainfist(15)-40

Grey Hunter PackX10-150
Flamer(0), Meltagun(0), Powerfist(25), Rhino(35)-60

Grey Hunter PackX10-150
Flamer, Meltagun, Powerfist(25), Rhino(35)-60

Blood Claw PackX15-225
FlamerX2(0), Powerfist(25)

Skyclaw PackX10- 180
Meltagun(10), Powerfist(25), Mark of the Wulfen(15)-50

Land Raider-250
Stormbolter(10)

I know that the Wolf Lord is pretty expensive but he's more than made up his points costs in both games I've used him. Killing Maugen Ra, a full Guardian squad with scatter laser, Dark Reaper squad with exarch, and 7/10 Dire Avengers in a squad with Eldrad all in one game.

Chumbalaya
10-28-2009, 01:30 PM
Njal Stormcaller-245
Terminator armor-25

Solid pick, I assume he goes with the BCs? Don't get him into assault, he is none too resilient. His place is near the front lines to get the most of his powers, but not actually in assault.

Wolf Lord Sven Bloodhowl-100
Plasma pistol(15), Frostblade(25), Runic Armor(20), Wolftooth Necklace(10), Wolftail Talisman(5), Belt of Russ(25), Saga of the Warrior Born(35), Jump pack(25)-160

Waaaaaaay too expensive, a Land Raider would be better. Plasma Pistols are too pricey, Runic Armor too, he is not immune to ID (squash says the powerfist!) and just waaaaay too expensive. Ragner is cheaper and better.

Lone Wolf-20
Terminator Armor(25), Chainfist(15)-40
60[/quote[

Walking guy in a mech list. Lone Wolves are cool, but losing a KP because he never reaches combat is bad.

[quote]Grey Hunter PackX10-150
Flamer(0), Meltagun(0), Powerfist(25), Rhino(35)-60

Grey Hunter PackX10-150
Flamer, Meltagun, Powerfist(25), Rhino(35)-60

Needs 2 meltas, PF on Grey Hunters are a waste.

Blood Claw PackX15-225
FlamerX2(0), Powerfist(25)

Not enough punch, needs a WG with a PF to help out.

Skyclaw PackX10- 180
Meltagun(10), Powerfist(25), Mark of the Wulfen(15)-50

Trash like Assault Marines. Too expensive for too little effect.

Land Raider-250
Stormbolter(10)

LRC, multi-melta, extra armor.

You have 0 long range firepower and very little to handle vehicles. Living Lightning will only go so far. Needs more firepower to crack open transports so you assaulters can get to the squishy bits inside. Long Fangs, TLAC Dreads, Dakka Preds, and Typhoons can nail transports from afar, while meltas are your best bets against heavier armor (that or S10 powerfist attacks, Thunderwolves HOOO!!!)

Unholy_Martyr
10-28-2009, 01:48 PM
A few observations:

1) This may be nit-picky but doesn't the Runic Armor give you a 5+ Save against Psychic Powers? (May be confused as I don't have the Space Wolf Codex in front of me, but I believe the Wolf Tail Talisman does the exact same thing as Runic Armor)

2) Who is riding in the Land Raider? From what I can see the only available units are the Blood Claws and Njal...If this is the case I think you should double check as a full 15 strong pack + Njal in Terminator armor = 17 models...

3) I don't know if this is a preference or there is something I'm missing but none of your transports have extra armor? I understand it is rather costly, at the same time though, a fully loaded Rhino that gets shaken in the middle of the board seems just a little more expensive. (Even more-so embarrassing because a 2 lucky Fire Warriors could easily stop ~40% of your Army)

4) This may be from 4th Edition, but isn't there a 100 point limit on Wargear? The Wolf Lord as Chumbalaya points out is rather pricey...

Suggestions:

A) From point #2 you could do one of two things: Go for a Land Raider Crusader, drop two blood claws and you gain enough points to afford the beast as well as some extra armor for the APC. Second option, go for a Land Raider Redeemer, drop 5 blood claws and you again pain for their Armored Baby Carriage, as well as extra armor from the Rhinos with a few points to spare (~15 points)

B) I understand Njal is like the shiny new Corvette sitting in the driveway ( You just need to go back and forth to work...why do you need a car that goes from 0-Speeding Ticket in less than 10 seconds?), I would hesitate to spend the points on the old man. With those 270 points you could really work some wonders...Another Grey Hunter Squad with 2 meltas and a Power Fist, possibly another Skyclaw Pack or a Dreadnought (or two? Again, unsure of the points.) Granted with all of his amazing powers he just isn't justifiable in a list like this. Maybe a standard Rune Priest tricked out but still...the fact that his points along constitute almost 2 scoring units just makes me hesitant to say the least.

This is just my opinion so, good luck and hope all goes well!

Tyrsday
10-28-2009, 04:34 PM
All good points. Thanks. The LR is there to get into the opponent's head, mainly, it acts as a fire sink for the enemy army and Njal I'm using as a close support unit so that his weather abilities get their full effect. Last game he made it up to chain lightning in round 4 or so killing 2 wraithguards, several dire avengers, and wounding both Eldrad Ulthuan and a wraithlord (I didn't actually use any of his psychic powers save living lightning once due to Eldrad's presence on the field).

I only have one melta in each GH squad due to the simple fact I can never hit anything with them. I have rolled 90% 1's and 2's in my career with those, not joking one bit. I played two games last night and got about 9 or so rounds of shooting out of all my meltas and hit something only once! I then proceeded to roll a 1 on pen, so they're there mainly on the off chance that I do hit something heavy with them the power fist has less work to do. So I go for the free meltas cause I can't really complain if they don't work if I don't pay for them.

The Lone Wolf and my Land Raider act as the dedicated heavy stompers, with the Grey Hunter squads' powerfists and meltas (totally meant in the hypothetical on the latter) as support heavy stompers should the need arise.

The Skyclaws act as the delivery system for the Wolf Lord, as stated before, who is a total beast in close combat and I use as an infantry killer to great affect.

As far as the Rhinos go, I actually put one of the Grey Hunter squads in the LR last game and used the Rhino as a shield for it. Shooting them both forward, popping smoke on the Rhino, and getting the LR cover behind it then Shake and Baking the LR ahead popping smoke before assaulting out with the GH's the next turn.

I think the 5+ save from the Runic armor is just a save for the Wolf Lord should he be hit by a psychic power that normally ignores saves, the talisman, to my understanding, negates any powers directed at him and any squad he's with so that they have a chance to negate the power then take armor saves if possible.

I probably will drop the Skyclaws and the jump pack/plasma pistol and attach him to the Blood Claws and pick up a Long Fang pack with the new found points, any suggestions as how to kit them out?

Thanks again for all the feedback!