PDA

View Full Version : ElectricPaladin Teaches Infinity

ElectricPaladin
02-28-2013, 11:11 AM
Next Wednesday, I'll be running a demo game for a friend. He's most interested in the Military Orders. Sadly, I know nothing about Military Orders and have never taught the game before. Can anyone here do any of the following:

1) Give me good general advice for teaching Infinity.
2) Recommend a good, relatively simple 150 point Military Orders list that showcases the sectorial's strengths.

My current plan is to run one ordinary demo game, followed by a demo game with a simple scenario if we have the time.

Thanks in advance. I'll be posting about the experience this time next week.

Levitas
02-28-2013, 01:09 PM
Cool!

I don't know MO very well, so can't comment on a list. But try to get a few of the toys in there.

As for teaching, don't be afraid to show them the 'cool' rules. You might overwhelm them a little, but they will see the potential. Things like camo and hacking are elements that other games don't often do. But mainly you are focusing on the order pool and AROs.

Possibly go easy on the likes of retreat and loss of Lt. By all means explain them, but you might want to give the option to skip them for the first game.

Help them out and point to situations where they could possibly make a bad move. You don't have to sign post it, but can hint.

Explain that there are missions, and go over a few. They may even feel comfortable playing on e after a few quick intro games.

Just be casual, and show what Infinity can do. IJW is a great person to contact on the boards, he has much wisdom in such matters!

ElectricPaladin
02-28-2013, 01:12 PM
Just be casual, and show what Infinity can do. IJW is a great person to contact on the boards, he has much wisdom in such matters!

Yeah... I can't get to the Infinity boards from work, and I don't feel like tapping into my phone. So... later.

I do plan to introduce camo tokens and mines in the first game. Why not? They're complex, but if I save the best parts of the game for later, I'll lose him. Probably I won't include much hacking, though, because there won't be a lot of targets for them in games this small, and the MOs aren't very good at hacking, so it would stack the deck against him a bit. I would very much like for John to do some damage, or even win his first game.

ElectricPaladin
02-28-2013, 03:47 PM
So, based on the Military Order starter kit (which would probably be my buddy's first buy), here's the list I've cooked up for him:

MILITARY ORDERS
────────────────────────────────────────────────── ──────

GROUP 1 (Regs: 6/Irrs: 0):

TEUTONIC KNIGHT Lieutenant Combi Rifle, Panzerfaust (42 | 1)
Berserk, Jungle Terrain, Religious Troop, V: Courage, Lieutenant

MAGISTER KNIGHT Panzerfaust, Light Shotgun (31)
Martial Arts L2, Religious Troop, Hyper-Dynamics L1

3x ORDER SERGEANT Combi Rifle (13)
Religious Troop

ORDER SERGEANT MULTI Sniper Rifle (27 | 1.5)
Religious Troop

139 Points | SWC: 2.5

ARMY CODE: eNozMlY1VzNWM6yxAJNGagYYpKGaIQCf8QhD
Army Infinity v.3.0. - http://www.devilteam.com

• • •

And the list I'll be playing...

ALEPH
────────────────────────────────────────────────── ──────

GROUP 1 (Regs: 5/Irrs: 0):

DEVA Lieutenant (G: Synchronized) Combi Rifle, Nanopulser+Devabot (26)
V: No Wound Incapacitation, Lieutenant

DEVABOT Heavy Flamethrower
Lieutenant

DEVA (G: Synchronized) Combi Rifle, Nanopulser+Devabot (27)
V: No Wound Incapacitation

DEVABOT Heavy Flamethrower

DEVA Combi Rifle, Nanopulser (23)
V: No Wound Incapacitation

NAGA Combi Rifle, Monofilament Mines (32)
CH: Camouflage, Infiltration, V: Dogged

NAGA MULTI Sniper Rifle (39 | 1.5)
CH: Camouflage, Infiltration, V: Dogged

147 Points | SWC: 1.5

ARMY CODE: eNozM1Q1VjNVM6wxVjMEkwZA0gzMNlMzUjMEAHDEBuw=
Army Infinity v.3.0. - http://www.devilteam.com

What do you think? Good start?

Levitas
02-28-2013, 04:06 PM
It looks good to me! I think it is a good start. Will you be swapping sides?

I know in my demo games I try as many things as possible, and relax my own tactics some. This lets me illustrate what can be done, and even try a few wacky tactics. Ideally you want a close, open and fun game.

ElectricPaladin
03-06-2013, 11:12 AM
Demo game is today. I've swapped up my list a little to give myself a fighting chance. I've been talking up Infinity, and my buddy is really into it. He's practically at the point of buying the Military Orders starter box and Joan of Arc blister. All I need to do is not screw this up...

Levitas
03-06-2013, 05:11 PM
Demo game is today. I've swapped up my list a little to give myself a fighting chance. I've been talking up Infinity, and my buddy is really into it. He's practically at the point of buying the Military Orders starter box and Joan of Arc blister. All I need to do is not screw this up...

Good luck, and let us know how it goes!

Darkeldar
03-09-2013, 08:15 AM
I hope the demo went well, as while I am a "throw 'em in the deep end" demo'r, the Aleph force you picked looks a bit off compared the the MO, and I'm not talking about just the point differential; 7 fielded minis vs. 6, Camoflaged infiltrators with no opposing MSVs, the Magister Knight is impetuous.

I would try to replace one of the Devas with one of Alephs basic units a Dakini or possibly a Chandra (Thorakitai).

Xenith
03-11-2013, 09:50 AM
the Aleph force you picked looks a bit off compared the the MO

Agree that the two are off kilter. You have loads of special rules, etc, and the number of models advantage.

If you added another order sergeant to the MO list, you would be closer in points totals than you are at the moment...

You want a fair, fun game, not to hammer them with special rules that they dont know exist. Go with a basic starter box list yourself.

ElectricPaladin
03-11-2013, 12:26 PM
You want a fair, fun game, not to hammer them with special rules that they dont know exist. Go with a basic starter box list yourself.

Yeah... I learned that lesson the hard way. I really thought that by including as many of the easier special rules in each force as I could, I could emphasize the things that made Infinity fun. That would have worked for me... but before my demo game, I'd read the free rulebook, the rulebook rewrite, and nearly every page on the Infinity wiki. My friend... not so obsessive.

He's intrigued, but cautious, so I didn't totally screw it up. We're trying again this week.

Darkeldar
03-11-2013, 03:37 PM
Here's a link to my Human Sphere demo lists. http://wargamingtrader.com/dl/darkeldars-75pt-infini
I've had alot of success running demos with these lists for a couple of years, and by using two or more lists have given me a chance for some quick throwdowns. I have updated the Aleph list to have a Deva Lt./Devabot, Myrmidon w/ Spitfire, Dakini and a NetRod. I usually play this on a 3'x3' board, and I have played 2 vs. 2 games.

ElectricPaladin
03-12-2013, 02:19 PM
Here's a link to my Human Sphere demo lists. http://wargamingtrader.com/dl/darkeldars-75pt-infini
I've had alot of success running demos with these lists for a couple of years, and by using two or more lists have given me a chance for some quick throwdowns. I have updated the Aleph list to have a Deva Lt./Devabot, Myrmidon w/ Spitfire, Dakini and a NetRod. I usually play this on a 3'x3' board, and I have played 2 vs. 2 games.

Would Deva Lt/Devabot, Spitfire Myrmidon, and Chain Rifle Myrmidon work as well? That way its not just tiny and lacks complicated rules, but it's also an entirely legal list.

Darkeldar
03-12-2013, 09:46 PM
I usually just waive the SWC for LTs and the hacker requirements for Remotes, because of the low point value. A couple of my lists do field remotes, but only where it is part of the character of the force in general, and assumes the hacker is nearby, just not part of this portion of the battlefield. Plus, I'm would prefer to have two Myrmidons in a separate Steel Phalanx list with a Myrm Officer, Combi Myrm and a Thorakitai for exactly 75 points.

kbdrand
03-28-2013, 01:18 PM
Keep in mind that the MO knights all are pretty similar. You could take the Magister Knight from the starter box and run it as another Teutonic Knight. I find that two Teutonic Knights are good for the 150 starter battles.