PDA

View Full Version : 1000 Doubles Tournament High Elves

Learn2Eel
03-15-2013, 03:28 AM
Hey guys, I am considering participating in an upcoming doubles Warhammer Fantasy tournament where each player has 1000 points available; each army list has to have their own general and follow the normal rules for army selections. Essentially, it is just throwing two one thousand point armies together rather than actually being able to mesh them as well as might be done in other doubles tournaments.

The person I would be teaming up with - as he has already signed up and as yet does not have a team-mate - is a Dark Elf player that, from memory, is running a Level three Sorceress (I can't remember if she was a Hero-level or Lord-level), a massive block of Warriors, a War Hydra and a block of Cold One Knights. I dunno how competitive that is supposed to be, but I'm not really in it to win it, if you know what I mean haha. I'm not well versed in the rules for Fantasy whatsoever.

In any case, having had a look at my High Elves after seeing this, I thought to myself; what do High Elves do best? Firstly, very cheap and very good anti-magic Mages that run High Magic; I can literally slap down a Mage with a Guardian Phoenix, take Shield of Saphery and Drain Magic and call it a day. I'll just let my friend's Sorceress dominate with Shadow magic or whatever works, then follow up with Drain Magic and Shield of Saphery - the former most importantly. Our Core isn't anywhere near as good as Dark Elf core, so I'll just take the bare minimum; 25 Spearmen with a full command is spot on 250 points and thus satisfies the minimum core requirements. Now, I've got my anvil to go with his, and protect both our mages. Now, a Great Eagle would be very good as a warmachine hunter - I could even take two if I had the points spare - and works pretty well given that the Hydra will likely be the focus of most enemy shooting. Going off of that, it is obvious I should just delve into the Special choices, but this is where my dilemma arises - what should I take? Phoenix Guard apparently don't work too well in smaller games, as though they don't die, it is hard to get BSB's and the like in as well as take the Guard in numbers. A small ten-strong unit of Sword Masters (five wide), or a fourteen-strong (seven-wide) unit would make pretty useful flanking units, though seeing as he has a heavy cavalry unit, would a small five-strong unit of Dragon Princes be worthwhile? White Lions are apparently a strong choice at 1000 points too, owing to Stubborn and Leadership 9.

I have come up with a core of an army, though I am really undecided as to what to add;

1000 Points Tournament
Heroes
Mage w/ guardian phoenix – 125 (General)

Core
Spearmen (25) w/ full command – 250

Rare
Great Eagle - 50

That's 425 points so far. Another suggestion I saw was that Archers apparently work well at 1000 points seeing as enemies can't recoup losses from shooting as well as they would in bigger games? I dunno lol.
Thanks for any and all feedback/advice!

kyfer
04-16-2013, 05:19 AM
Don't play Elves, but don't Sea Guard have bows, spears and shields? And they're a core choice too? Will likely be a few more points per model, but might be worth it if they can fill multiple roles.

Like the idea of a High Elf/Dark Elf reluctant reunion ha