PDA

View Full Version : Starting with Tour of Duty/Vietnam? Suggested purchases?

Mark Gottlieb
03-23-2013, 09:23 AM
So as my previous post indicated, i'm toying with buying a small amount of FoW to dabble in the newly growing local community. That said, I own a LOT of WW2/and Weird War 2 games and systems, and thus am much more inclined to want to dive into the Vietnam setting.

This is their newest "system" correct? As such... where do I being? I notice their is a book, and a handful of products, but no starter box. Does the book serve as their core book/release, or should I buy FoW 3rd Ed. books AND Tour of Duty book, plus some models?

Thanks!

The NIghtbringer
03-27-2013, 11:27 AM
Don't. The Vietnam stuff is just sitting there. It's been out for 2 or 3 years now and almost noone plays it. I know Battlefront is putting out new minis and a couple of new books, but there's still not a community for it. I've seen, at a local hobby store, an older gentleman who was part of our FoW group start to boycott the store after they began carrying the Vietnam stuff. Turns out he was a Vietnam vet and it angered him that there was a game for that. Don't know if that's a more general consensus, but what's the point in forking over a few hundred dollars for a game that you can't find people to play with.

Cessna
03-29-2013, 04:39 PM
I've seen, at a local hobby store, an older gentleman who was part of our FoW group start to boycott the store after they began carrying the Vietnam stuff. Turns out he was a Vietnam vet and it angered him that there was a game for that.

So he's fine playing WWII but just seeing Vietnam made him boycott the entire store? Huh.

Mark, check to see if anyone is playing at your local club or store. There are some places where it is popular, others where it isn't. There's a decent amount of people playing here in Colorado.

Then check to see what armies aren't represented and which appeal to you.

Regardless with what side you pick, you can't go wrong starting with some basic infantry.

silashand
04-03-2013, 03:21 PM
What Cessna said. It will depend on the community and what they are interested in. Per Battlefront, the original Vietnam release sold much better than anticipated, hence why they got a book this year and another planned for next year. I personally have AirCav, Blackhorse and PAVN Armoured and happen to like the game. As for what you will need, you will have to get the 3rd edition FoW rules plus the Vietnam book to play. Vietnam uses the basic FoW rules and any extras like helicopters are in the Vietnam book itself.

Cheers, Gary