PDA

View Full Version : 1500pt Orks, No vehicles! lots of bodies!

Latro_
10-30-2009, 05:03 AM
Ok so adjusting my orky army for 5th ed. Got rid of all vehicles! - mech/melta is gonna cry.

So its my tried and tested 3 tier force, Fast wave (boss, storm boyz, koptas) plunge in and mawl the enemy and give them something to worry about early on.

Lootas sit back and fire away at stuff and help out against mech.

Solid core of boyz marches up and hits home after the first fast wave to mop up the enemy.

Know koptas are not 'great' but I love the models and think they'll be fun to use.

Grots act as a screen for boyz and the mek acts as an all round 5+ cover saver.. basically the boyz marching up should be fairly well protected.

Have 5 troops choices so i'v really geared the army to be able to take and hold objectives, in total its 130 bodies on the table.

Warboss (Kommanda Gorfang) 150
Bike, Power Klaw, Cybork Body
Slugga, Attack Squig

Big Mek (Shaknob Deffteef) 85
Choppa, Mek's Tools, Kustom Force Field

20 Shoota Boyz 175
Shootas, 2x Rokkit Launchas
Nob
Power Klaw, Slugga

20 Slugga Boyz 155
Sluggas, Choppas
Nob
Power Klaw, Slugga

20 Shoota Boyz 175
Shootas, 2x Rokkit Launchas
Nob
Power Klaw, Slugga

15 Grots 55
Blastas
Runtherd
Slugga, Squiq Hound, Grabba Stikk

15 Grots 55
Blastas
Runtherd
Slugga, Squiq Hound, Grabba Stikk

10 Lootas 150
Dakkaguns

10 Lootas 150
Dakkaguns

15 Storm Boyz 215
CCW, Sluggas, Stikkbombz
Nob
Power Klaw, Slugga, Stikkbombz

3 Deffkoptas 135
Choppas, Twin Rokkit Launchas

Chumbalaya
10-30-2009, 05:27 AM
Foot Orks don't work out, at least not this way. You don't have much to handle mech, nothing stops AV14, so you're pretty much at the mercy of a mech army. It's not that difficult to take out 60 boyz.

Latro_
10-30-2009, 05:53 AM
Well the lootas should be able to pop most light mech like rhinos and chimeras.

A14 isnt all that common and the best way to mince those with any ork army are power klaws, which I have lots of. The WB is a pretty good tank popper, fast and 6 s10 attacks on the charge.

The plan is (has worked so far) is that the fast stuff takes the punishment off the core 60 boyz for the first turn or so and with the mek:

4+ cover from the grots and the mainstay of the boyz and grots get a 5+ cover from the mek.

Maybe i'm being to optimistic

Wanderingroue
10-30-2009, 06:31 AM
hmm. well stormboys and deff copters really aint all that (thier ooookay), but points could be much better spent on bikes (nobs for preference) to ride round with the warboss (who is your ONLY av 14 handler) but apart from that it seems ok.

As said you will struggle a little in a competetive envirnoment...but i need to get out the mindset, not everyone plays for that.

I would really make them all shoota boys with x2 rokkits tho. Sluggas boys go in battle wagons or trukks

Latro_
10-30-2009, 07:00 AM
Why is he the only a14 handler? there are 4 nobs who charge in with 4 s9 attacks...

You dont rate storm boyz? They'v always done me well in the previous version of the list owing to how they can potentially move 24" a turn and get right up in the enemy's face from the get go.

Chumbalaya
10-30-2009, 07:15 AM
Stormboyz are too pricey and die way too easily. They zoom ahead of the army and get eliminated, since everything else is so slow you basically give them up to your opponent in nice little packages.

PKs don't stop AV14. You have to:
a) Reach it
b) Hit it (hard if it goes 12")
c) Pen it (S9 vs AV14 is not good)
d) Destroy it (1/3)

A charging Nob has a 22% chance to destroy static AV14, 11% if it moves 6", 3.7% if it moves 12". So no, that's not going to happen. Then your mob is all bunched up in front of the tank, you get hit by templates, and 20 Orks go poof.

Latro_
10-30-2009, 08:11 AM
Well with the storm boyz i'v always used them in that disposable way. They get in the enemy face quick and I don't expect them to make their points back but they cant maul a unit or two and really take the focus of the rest of the army marching forwards.

I take the point on pks, anti a14 really isnt great in this list, and orks in general struggle against it unless you invest silly points in stuff. Its funny actually, last night I played with my deathguard against someone with a LR..

2 units of plague marines with dual melta, chargins 6 attack defiler and obilts... it survived to the end of the game! However... it didnt actually do much gamewise. In case of a14 I think trying to deal with it if it presents a problem but owing to how rare they are (in my exp any way) i'm unsure if modding this list to deal with a14 more effectively is gonna bone it against more common threats.

going back to the storm boyz however:

part of me does think perhaps dropping the mek and storm boyz and taking another biker boss to take the storm boyz place might work. That'd leave 150 pts to take another unit of grots for protectiction and 100pts on something else...

Wanderingroue
10-31-2009, 07:59 AM
see throwing a unit forward in a "shoot me shoot me" kinda way is a valid tactic. now stormboys, as said just die. But thats why bikers (and nob bikers specifically if you want to take the competetive route) are popular. You throw the unit forward (boosting) get a 3+ cover save (and FNP if you have nobs) take the same if not more shooting as the storm boys do ...but they LIVE (mostly) and then cause havok and the boss has the option to peels of and go and slap some landie (or nasty unit/tank of whatever)to hell.

So the list and the tactics are sound.. but you just have a better troop type available to you to achieve your desired effect with orks :)

Second biker boss ive seen done too to great effect.