PDA

View Full Version : Codex: Necron Legions (5th Ed)

B_Steele
10-31-2009, 08:12 AM
Hello 40k players! I need some fair and fun playtesting of a 5th Edition Necron Army Force List that I have created from rumours, gossip, intelligent ideas and previous GW experiences.

What I want here is for people not to get "sticker shocked" at what they see and post a bunch of negative comments before they try them out. If you get a game in with these and find X unit overpriced or Y rule unbalancing, so be it - post what happened in your playtest and why you feel it should be changed. In my career I have dealt with LOTS of playtesters, and the best ones are the ones that make constructive comments on both sides of the coin; not the naysayers or fanboys.

Essentially, I want this thread to be clutter-free so it can be used to discuss the playtest games you have played.

Thank you,
Bryan Steele - Professional Writer and Game Designer

--------------------------------------------------
The Necron Army For Warhammer 40,000 5th Edition

Necron Special Rules

The following are universal special rules may apply to models within the Necron army list, as specified in each entry.

Artificer: Tomb Spyders are mobile construction units designed by the ancient Necrontyr to aid in the reuse of scraps of living metal. This model allows any Necron unit within 6” of it, once per turn, to re-roll its failed Feel No Pain saves against a single unit’s shooting or close combat attacks targeting them. The use of this ability must be declared after Wounds are suffered but before any saves are made for the attacks in question.

Gauss: Attacks made by weapons with this trait are made with the Rending Universal Special Rule if the model did not move that turn.

Living Metal: No attack that hits a vehicle with this trait may ever roll more than 1d6 for Armour Penetration, nor will any effect or weapon quality reduce the Armour Value of the vehicle (i.e. Lance).

Necron: Models with this trait are considered Stubborn (as per the Universal Special Rule) and gain the We’ll Be Back special rule (see below).

Ponderous: Necron Monoliths are immense and ancient constructs of living metal that glide effortlessly over the ground, repulsing away anything that gets in their way. These models may only ever move 6” during the Movement phase, ignore Difficult Terrain tests, and may always fire all of their weapons despite movement. Ponderous skimmer vehicles ignore Crew Shaken and Stunned results, and will harmlessly sink to the ground if ever made Immobile by a damage result.

Psychic Terror: Models with this trait reduce any enemy Leadership value of 8 or higher to that of 7 within 12 inches. Additionally, any model within 12” attempting to use a Psychic Ability must first pass a Morale Test or Fall Back away from this model.

Swarm Slave: Tomb Spyders frequently use swarms of scarabs to help them collect metal to recycle into their work. Any Scarabs Swarms that Deep Strike within 12” of this model are allowed to Assault on the turn they arrive.

Teleportation Matrix: Monoliths and Obelisks never need to make Mishap rolls when Deep Striking. They will move enemy models out of their way when they arrive, or fall 1” short if their scatter roll takes them into any form of terrain or off of the board.

Additionally, if the Monolith does not fire its Particle Whip in the following Shooting Phase, it may choose to use the Teleportation Matrix to embark any unit with the Necron trait within 18” (even one engaged in an Assault) directly into the Monolith at the beginning of the Movement Phase. The embarking unit is considered to have moved this turn and therefore cannot disembark on the same turn, although the Monolith can move as normal. This part of the rule does not apply to Obelisks, as that they have no Transport capability.

Terrible Visage: Models with this trait are so horrifying to look upon that all enemies in contact suffer a -1 Leadership penalty.

We’ll Be Back: Models with this trait have the Feel No Pain Universal Special Rule.

Wraithflight: The model with this special rule is always considered to be moving over Open terrain and does not have to roll when moving through Difficult Terrain.

Necron Wargear

Chronometron: The Lord has a device that subtly alters the flow of time around it. The Lord and any unit it is part of rolls an additional d6 when rolling running distances, difficult terrain movement and falling back, dropping a single d6 of their choice to achieve the best result.

Destroyer Body: The Lord has been granted a body that incorporates the flying engines of a Necron Destroyer. It exchanges the Infantry type for Jump Infantry, gains +1 Wound, and must be modelled appropriately.

Disruption Field: The model is wrapped in crackling pulses of gauss energy, and is considered to have the Rending Universal Special Rule when attacking a target with an Armour Value (vehicles, bunkers, etc.) in an Assault.

Essence of the C’Tan: The Lord has been gifted with a small spark of the greater energy that is the C’Tan. Whether it be a disciple of the Nightbringer, the Deceiver or even the Dragon; the Lord has untold power hidden away inside of it. The Lord is treated as normal, but the Necron player rolls for its Essence like any other unit in Reserves. When the Essence finally “arrives”, replace the Necron Lord model with a suitable representation of a monstrous C’Tan creature, carrying over any Wounds lost to the new model. The Lord uses the following statistics for the remainder of the game:

C’Tan-form WS7 BS6 S9 T7 W5 I5 A4 Ld10 Sv3+/3+(i)

Special Rules:
● Armed with Phase Lightning (Shooting) and Necron Warscythe (Close Combat)
● Fearless
● Fleet
● Independent Character
● Monstrous Creature

Gauss Flux: This weapon hurls a cascade of molecule-flaying energies out of several projectors whenever the weapon is triggered. When firing, the Necron player rolls the total number of Heavy shots the weapon will be using that turn, then choose what enemy units those shots will be targeting before rolling to hit. This weapon system has several firing points on the shooting model, and Line of Sight/Range can be measured from any or all of these projectors. Unlike a normal weapon, the Gauss Flux is allowed to target multiple units in a single Shooting Phase. No single non-Vehicle unit can be targeted with more shots than it has current models. Any “Weapon Destroyed” damage results remove one projector from the model, reducing its available firing points.

Gaze of Flame: The Lord with this artefact has eyes that burn with an unholy light and is considered to have Defensive Grenades. Additionally, any unit that is in an active Assault with the Lord suffers -1 to their Leadership value (after all other adjustments).

Lightning Field: The Lord with this artefact has a special collector that turns the kinetic energy of weapons against the living metal bodies around it into bolts of green lightning that punish those near to the source. After an Assault is resolved and all Pile In moves have been made, if an enemy unit is still in contact with the Lord, that enemy unit suffers a number of Wounds with no AP equal to the number of unsaved wounds (after Feel No Pain rolls) the Lord and his unit suffered that Assault Phase.

Necron Warscythe: The C’tan gifted the model with a piece of ancient technology from the era of the Necrontyr. This weapon is a two-handed blade that ignores all forms of Save (Armour or Invulnerable) in close combat and incorporates a standard Gauss Blaster as a ranged weapon.

Nightmare Shroud: A tiny sarcophagi is attached to the immortal memories of the Lord, which it can unleash upon its foes in a torrent of negative psychic energy. In any Shooting Phase in which the Lord does not make a shooting action, every non-Fearless enemy unit within 18” of the Lord must immediately take a Morale test or begin Falling Back.

Pariah Body: The Lord has been selected to be transferred into one of the newly constructed Pariah body shells. It adds +1 to its Strength and Toughness, but it exchanges its Necron trait for the Psychic Terror trait. This should be modelled appropriately.

Phase Shifter: The Lord has a powerful artefact that allows it to slip between the states of reality for moments at a time, allowing matter and energy to pass harmlessly through it. The Lord is given a 4+ invulnerable save.

Reconstruction Matrix: The Lord is surrounded by a cloud of tiny scarabs that help rebuild the living metal bodies around it. Any Necron unit with a model within 6” of the Lord bearing this artefact pass their Feel No Pain rolls on 3+ instead of the normal 4+. A Necron army may only have one Resurrection Orb or Reconstruction Matrix.

Resurrection Orb: The Lord bears a rare artefact that is directly tied to the undying essence of the Necrontyr, pushing their bodies beyond what would normally destroy them utterly. Any Necron unit with a model within 6” of the Lord bearing this artefact may always attempt its Feel No Pain roll, even when wounded by a weapon or attack that would otherwise deny it. A Necron army may only have one Resurrection Orb or Reconstruction Matrix.

Solar Pulse: The Lord has a shining amulet that can emit a powerful green light that blasts away the darkness and can blind onlookers. Once per game, at the beginning of the Movement Phase, the Lord can use the Solar Pulse to either cancel the effects of Night Fighting for the remainder of the Necron Turn or force all enemy forces to roll as if the Lord and any friendly unit within 6” of it were currently under the effects of Night Fighting.

Staff of Light: This ancient Necrontyr weapon counts as a Power Weapon in an Assault in addition to its ranged weapon qualities.

Veil of Darkness: The Lord wears a miniature crystal matrix similar to that found in the gigantic monoliths, allowing it to tap into the C’Tan energy streams that they use to travel the galaxy. Once per Movement Phase the Lord and any unit it is joined with that has the Necron trait can be re-deployed as per the normal Deep Strike rules.

Wraith Body: The Lord has had its essence transferred into a lithe, monstrous body like those of the wild and terrible Wraiths. It exchanges the Infantry type for the Beast type, gains +1 Strength, Assault Grenades, the Wraithflight trait and must be modelled appropriately.

Necron Army Selection
The following are the various units used to build a Necron army.

HQ Choices

Necron Lord Cost: 75 points

Bronze Lord WS4 BS4 S4 T4 W2 I3 A2 Ld10 Sv3+
Silver Lord WS4 BS4 S5 T4 W3 I3 A3 Ld10 Sv3+
Gold Lord WS5 BS5 S5 T5 W3 I4 A3 Ld10 Sv3+
Platinum Lord WS5 BS5 S5 T5 W4 I4 A4 Ld10 Sv2+

Unit Type:
● Infantry

Number/squad:
● 1

Wargear:
● Disruption Field
● Staff of Light

Special Rules:
● Eternal Warrior (Gold and Platinum Lords only)
● Fearless (Gold and Platinum Lords only)
● Independent Character
● Necron

Options:
- May be upgraded to Silver Lord for +25 points
- May be upgraded to Gold Lord for +50 points
- May be upgraded to Platinum Lord for +100 points

- May replace Staff of Light for a Necron Warscythe for +10 points

- May be upgraded to a Destroyer Body for +30 points
- May be upgraded to a Pariah Body for +50 points
- May be upgraded to a Wraith Body for +30 points

- May add up to 100 points of the following Necron Artefacts
- Add Chronometron for +20 points
- Add Gaze of Flame for +20 points
- Add Lightning Field for +15 points
- Add Nightmare Shroud for +25 points
- Add Phase Shifter for +25 points
- Add Reconstruction Matrix for +40 points
- Add Resurrection Orb for +40 points
- Add Solar Pulse for +25 points
- Add Veil of Darkness for +50 points
- Add Essence of the C’Tan for +100 points (Gold or Platinum Lords only)

Elite Choices

Flayed Ones Cost: 22 points

Flayed One WS4 BS- S4 T4 W1 I4 A2 Ld10 Sv3+

Unit Type:
● Infantry

Number/squad:
● 5 - 10

Wargear:
● Claws (Close Combat Weapons)

Special Rules:
● Infiltrate
● Move Through Cover
● Necron
● Rending
● Terrible Visage

Immortals Cost: 28 points

Immortal WS3 BS4 S5 T5 W1 I2 A1 Ld10 Sv3+

Unit Type:
● Infantry

Number/squad:
● 5 - 10

Wargear:
● Gauss Blaster

Special Rules:
● Necron

Options:
- May add Disruption Fields for +2 points per model

Pariahs Cost: 34 points

Pariah WS4 BS4 S5 T5 W1 I3 A2 Ld10 Sv3+

Unit Type:
● Infantry

Number/squad:
● 4 - 10

Wargear:
● Necron Warscythe

Special Rules:
● Fearless
● Psychic Terror

Troop Choices

Necron Warriors Cost: 16 points

Warrior WS3 BS3 S4 T4 W1 I2 A1 Ld10 Sv3+

Unit Type:
● Infantry

Number/squad:
● 10 - 20

Wargear:
● Gauss Flayer

Special Rules:
● Necron

Options:

0 - 3 Tomb Warriors Cost: 22 points

Warrior WS3 BS4 S4 T4 W1 I2 A1 Ld10 Sv3+

Unit Type:
● Infantry

Number/squad:
● 5 - 10

Wargear:
● Gauss Flayer

Special Rules:
● Deep Strike
● Necron

Options:

Fast Attack Choices

Destroyers Cost: 50 points

Destroyer WS3 BS4 S5 T4(5) W2 I2 A1 Ld10 Sv3+

Unit Type:
● Jump Infantry

Number/squad:
● 2 - 5

Wargear:
● Gauss Cannon

Special Rules:
● Relentless
● Necron

Options:
- Up to two Destroyers can upgrade their Gauss Cannon to a Heavy Gauss Cannon for +20 points
- May add Disruption Fields for +4 points per model

Scarab Swarms Cost: 18 points

Scarab Swarm WS2 BS- S3 T3 W3 I2 A3 Ld10 Sv4+

Unit Type:
● Jump Infantry

Number/squad:
● 2 - 8

Wargear:
● Mandibles (Close Combat Weapon)

Special Rules:
● Deep Strike
● Fearless
● Swarms

Options:
- May add Disruption Fields for +4 points per model

Wraiths Cost: 50 points

Wraith WS4 BS- S5 T4 W2 I5 A3 Ld10 Sv3+/4+ (i)

Unit Type:
● Beast

Number/squad:
● 2 - 4

Wargear:
● Savage Claws and Barbed Tail (Counts as a single Close Combat Weapon)

Special Rules:
● Counts as having Assault Grenades
● Necron
● Rending
● Wraithflight

Heavy Choices

Necron Monolith Cost: 265 points

Monolith FA14 SA14 RA14 BS4

Unit Type:
● Skimmer

Transport Capacity:
● 21

Armament:
● Particle Whip
● Gauss Flux (4 Projectors)

Special Rules:
● Deep Strike
● Living Metal
● Ponderous
● Teleportation Matrix

Necron Obelisk Cost: 175 points

Monolith FA13 SA13 RA13 BS4

Unit Type:
● Tank

Armament:
● Gauss Flux (3 Projectors)

Special Rules:
● Deep Strike
● Ignores Crew Shaken and Stunned results
● Immobile
● Living Metal
● Teleportation Matrix

Tomb Spyder Cost: 115 points

Tomb Spider WS3 BS2 S8 I2 A2(3) FA12 SA12 RA12

Unit Type:
● Walker

Armament:
● Two Claws (Power Weapons)

Special Rules:
● Artificer
● Living Metal
● Swarm Slave

Options:
- May add Disruption Fields for +15 points
- May exchange one Claw for a Particle Projector for +10 points

Necron Weapons

Ranged Weapons

Gauss Blaster 24” S5 AP4 Gauss, Assault 2
Gauss Cannon 36” S6 AP4 Gauss, Heavy 3
Gauss Flayer 24” S4 AP5 Gauss, Rapid Fire
Gauss Flux 18” S5 AP4 Gauss, Heavy 3d6
Heavy Gauss Cannon 36” S8 AP1 Gauss, Heavy 1, Twin-Linked
Particle Projector T S5 AP3 Assault 1, Template
Particle Whip (Low) 18” S6 AP4 Heavy 5
Particle Whip (High) 36” S9 AP2 Barrage, Ordinance
Phase Lightning 18” S8 AP2 Assault 1, Small Blast
Staff of Light 12” S5 AP3 Assault 3, Gauss

Atrotos
10-31-2009, 12:14 PM
It's not immediately clear how many close combat weapons the Flayed Ones and Wraiths have due to the wording. "Close Combat Weapons" for Flayed Ones seems like "more than one". Wraiths have both the Claws and the Tail but just one close combat weapon right? "Count as a single Close Combat Weapon" would clear that up.

Although you've done great work with the balance of the 'dex it remains pretty underwhelming. You've given Necron players more options in the sense that obsolete units are a little more useful (deepstriking scarabs for instance) but you've only added one unit (Obelisk) and taken away one (there's one C'tan now). Deep Striking warriors are nice but honestly while these rules would satisfy players that already own a necron army I don't see it attracting any new players because there's nothing new being presented. I feel you were overly cautious and, perhaps, constrained by the models available.

Suggestions:

1. In keeping with GW's newer codicies that allow FOC changes you could have the addition of a Lord make a single unit of Immortals a Troops choice to allow for more unique builds (and to give players a good reason to take Immortals over more warriors).

2. While Special Characters would be tricky to include I don't think it can't be done. Similarly upgrade characters might make units more interesting and give Necron players a chance to change up their tactics. Upgrade characters need not be unique (as with Sgt. Harker) but closer to a kind of "sargent" or mini-lord that will a give a squad access to some USR or other. You may find that doesn't fit into the Necron theme or you may find it does depending on its presentation.

3. Necron Walker. Something similar to the Terminator movie's depiction of slow-moving gun platform searching the ruins of a blasted wasteland for survivors. There could be several types of these.

EDIT: I know you wanted playtesting discussion but if you really are a professional you know there's more to game development than balance - you need a reason to play in the first place.

DarkLink
10-31-2009, 01:34 PM
Looking over the rules, I think this will make the core of a good list, but as Atrotos mentioned, yoou could throw in some new units to give it some oomph.

Also a few things I noticed:

The Lord with the C'tan upgrade keeps the Independent Character rule after transforming. There isn't a single other Monstrous Creature Independent Character in the game that I know of, so i'd say it should probably be dropped.

Does the Gauss Flux get one shot per projector? And do weapon destroyed result destroy one projector?

Veil of Darkness should be worded as such for clarity: The unit is removed from play and placed in reserves and is immediately redeployed following the Deepstrike rules. (this way it is clear what happens if the unit suffers a mishap that delays the unit entering the board for a turn)

The Warscythe is awfully cheap for what it does. +10pts to ignore Invulnerable Saves on a power weapon is pretty cheap.

The Silver and Gold Lord upgrades are a little cheap for the stat bonuses they get. The platinum lord is good, I think, but I'd say the Silver upgrade is worth about 35pts, and the Gold upgrade about 65pts.

I noticed that you took all the units that were jetbikes, like destroyers and scarabs, and just made them jump infantry. Intentional?

Wraiths still aren't too intimidating in CC. They're better now, but I'd say it would be fair for them to get a 3+ armor in addition to their 4+ invulnerable.

Aside from that, the stuff you posted looks solid.

B_Steele
10-31-2009, 02:36 PM
but if you really are a professional

Do an Amazon.com search for Bryan Steele. :) Hell, then buy some of my stuff ! lol

As for the list, I AM being cautious. Maybe too much so. My playtests so far show this to be a very capable army, but I dislike having to "tone down"...I'd rather "spruce up" in post-playtest editing. :)

More comments, please!

Herald of Nurgle
11-21-2009, 04:11 PM
First, I have to note that it has been 3 years since I even touched a Necron army so I may be wrong on a few things. Crons formed a good starting army which certainly influenced my choice to then start Nurgle lol.

However... this is even more bland than the 3rd ed book.
a) Lord levels just seems too much like an upgrade rather than something kickass. Think a bit larger - there's so many Apocalypse references for Lord Names, and stuff such as Lords going insane that you should think about adding a bit of that action!
b) Unlike what everyone else is saying, the Necrons need to have an Independent Character/Monstrous Creature. PROTECT THE LORD! It would make the Orb a bit more survivable etc.
c) Feel No Pain and Stubborn as well as a +2 pt increase to Warriors? No. Make them Fearless and Feel No Pain, but add to the Necron rule that 'Units with the Necron rule will not suffer from No Retreat, but require the greater will of their masters to act with any sort of real speed - when running, roll 2d6 and pick the lowest dice, and when moving into Difficult Terrain roll 1d6'.
d) Everything needs to go DOWN in points, except Scarab Swarms. You're thinking too much in terms of a gamer - look as if it's GW. Something needs to be nerfed and something needs to be boomed. Nerf the Swarms and Monolith. Boom the Flayed Ones, Pariahs, and Tomb Spyders.
e) If Heavy Destroyers and Destroyers are now competing for Fast, you need to increase squad sizes. Make them feel a bit hammertimish.
f) Tomb Spyder is all wrong. That's the STALKER you're thinking about there. Keep the Spyder as it is, but add the Stalker - the one you've made is crazy hard!
g) Back to Destroyers. Remain Jet Bikes, not Jump Infantry. Also, if anything you should make them JET Infantry anyway! Give 'em Acute Senses as well. 46pts each.

For my lords, I made a few changes:
- Bronze: These are Squad Leaders. 60pts gives you the current statline, and no Orb option. Get upgrades depending on squads attached to.
- Silver: Basic HQs. 100pts gives you a 6 inch Night Fighting range, as well as an Orb for free. 1 Squad Immortals become Troops.
- Gold: Big HQs. Essentially what you have, plus Psychic Abomination immunity. Have access to various 'Harbringer' abilities - Chain Lightning, Psychic Powers, and sending things into Space (everything takes Mishap rolls lol). 1 Squad Immortals or Pariahs as Troops.
- Platnium: 2000+ HQs. These ARE what the C'Tan models are for. Either 'named' (specific abilities for specific existing models), or more generic. All Immortals are Troops.

Few of my thoughts. I have a bit of a Necron codex up at the moment anyway - i'll try to track it down.

Sitnam
11-21-2009, 05:25 PM
1. Instead of a lord allowing one immortal sqaud to become troops, I would function it to where a Lord with a normal body allows one immortal troops squad, one with a wraith body would allow one wraith troops squad, etc. Maybe give higher level lords the ability to take two as troops.
2. Why not make Tomb Warriors a limited upgrade for Warriors, kind of like Ard Boyz upgrade for orks. Neither seem very different from the other beside DS.
3. Wraiths seem a bit overpriced to me.

ZenPaladin
12-31-2009, 09:19 AM
Hmm. I like some of your ideas. The Transformation of the lord is alot of fun. Rending is a given the obolisks are nice. And the spyder as a walker is something I've always thought would be a good idea. Oh and getting rid of phase out? Nice.

Now obviously I've not had time to play test this list and frankly I probibly never will have an opertunity. My friends that I game with more or less refuse to alow any sort of homebrew sheninagins.

I do agree with other comments that more expensive is a bad bad idea. I've seen older more expensive lists (read old Tyranids) Go up against newer cheeper lists. (Read new guard/marines) The disparity in raw number of troops is pretty huge.

This army while more effective in some troop types and more flexable seems to be slightly weaker in overall fighting power. If it still had the phase out rule I'd say it was in real trouble. What in this army is going to stand up to Nob' Bikers? Thunderwolves? These are the units of our times. Think about how this force would stand up to Vulkan and his twin linked Heavy Flamers on a Redemer.

I'm not going to sugest that the cron's should have equivilant forces. Only that their over all list should provide options. In a very real sence the curent list and your list seem to have little to offer in a world of Deathstrike missiles and out flanking Leman Russ squadrons.

But that's only at first glance.

B_Steele
12-31-2009, 01:12 PM
This list is comprised of my "realistic" design options for what I think will end up in a codex list. I have several other ideas that are a bit more individual, but I'm working them up in playtest right now and will post them in a separate thread called "5th Ed. Necron New Forces".

Just wait, you'll see. :)