PDA

View Full Version : BoLS FRONTPAGE STATUS - Official Announcement

Bigred
04-30-2013, 09:22 AM
Thanks for the concern and the kind words,

As you can tell, the BoLS frontpage is down and we are actively working the issue.

We are working this issue up the chain with Google via multiple channels and making plans to avoid any such service interruptions in the future. BoLS has not received any IP notices, DMCA alerts, or violations from anyone, so at this moment we are still treating this as an IT issue on Google's side, but it is looking mighty suspicious by the hour. I'll let you all connect the dots.

There is a possibility that BoLS temporarily got caught in the crossfire between GW and other 3rd party blogger sites - we shall see.

In the meantime, all your favorite writers, are submitting their columns as new threads on the Lounge and we will be getting out links to them via Facebook, Google+, etc... Your BoLS content isn't going anywhere and if you poke around you will find lots more.

We will be back fullly operational shortly - My first priority is ensuring that BoLS keeps on delivering the news on all the game systems we cover to the wargaming community and we will do so, come Hell or high water (or any other bad actors)...

We will be moving to a more robust and secure blogging platform in the weeks ahead. We simply cannot allow this type of potential danger from 3rd parties to endanger BoLS ever again.

For our fans and readers - we love delivering the news and opinion on our beloved hobby to you day in and day out, and have been for over 7 years. Please stand with us during these trying times and tell your friends. Blog about us, and enjoy the BoLS Lounge where your favorite authors will be publishing during this time of need, and we will be back shortly.

Best regards and my deepest thanks,

-Larry Vela

UPDATE:

We are back up and running - full steam ahead! We are working with google to determine exactly what occurred over the last 24 hours with the BoLS frontpage, but I would like to clear up a couple of things for the record:

1) BoLS was never targeted by any DMCA, IP, or any other violation notices. While other 3rd party sites on blogger may or may not have been targeted by Games Workshop and/or Google, BoLS never was.

2) We take our security and availability seriously. Steps are being taken to prevent such an occurrence from ever happening again. BoLS job is to provide you with wargaming news, opinion, and entertainment day in and day out - and we will do exactly that.

On a personal note, I would like to thank each and every one of you who showed up during the frontpage outage and got to see and explore the BoLS Lounge. We are very proud of our great wargaming forum community and hope many of you return.

Look for regular posts, columns and commenting as usual on the frontpage as of now.

-Larry Vela

Zaphod Beeblebrox
04-30-2013, 10:13 AM
Thanks for the Update, Larry!!

Keep on ringing 'dem Bells!

olberon
04-30-2013, 10:18 AM
thanks for the update!

Stucarius
04-30-2013, 10:32 AM
Thanks Larry....I hope BoLS, if you were intentionally taken down, takes the action against the guilty party that the law allows for abuse of DMCA.....You guys are a news service and have full protections in every way. You are my favorite 40K site and the communities most important resource.

GW's most important resource as well if they ever stop spelunking their own bodies.

Billyjoeray
04-30-2013, 10:33 AM
Thanks for the update, and let me just go on record by saying this, if this is GW's beef about White Dwarf sales. I DON'T WANT TO BUY WHITE DWARF... I tried for a bit, and it's too expensive for what you're getting. If you want to sell an ad-rag, at least make it cheaper.

Osedaxx
04-30-2013, 10:35 AM
Thank you for the update Larry!

I've had to be productive at work since I don't have my daily Warhammer blogging that takes up about 80% of my work day. I can't wait till you're back up and draining my productivity!!

It's been a horrible day. :(

bladenkrath
04-30-2013, 10:41 AM
keep up the great work.
i think we all look forward to the day we get our BoLS back!

DeadPanda
04-30-2013, 11:09 AM
Thanks for the update Red, it would be a real kick in the BoLs if we lost the front page :)

Caitsidhe
04-30-2013, 11:12 AM
Doomo arigatoo Gozaimasu Larry.

DaBigNob
04-30-2013, 02:40 PM
GW can suck my balls. I'm sick of their bullcrap.

The Girl
04-30-2013, 03:59 PM
And we are live: http://www.belloflostsouls.net

Front page is back up. If you aren't seeing it, give it 5-10 minutes for everything to synch up again.

OverwatchCNC
04-30-2013, 04:03 PM
And we are live: http://www.belloflostsouls.net

Front page is back up. If you aren't seeing it, give it 5-10 minutes for everything to synch up again.

That just keeps rerouting me to the forums.

undone
04-30-2013, 04:04 PM
Same here.

The Girl
04-30-2013, 04:10 PM
Every network will take a different amount of time to register the new redirect. Give it a bit - took about 15-20 minutes at BoLS HQ to have it show up after changing the site the URL points to. If you're having any issues about an hour out from the time I post this, please email us at: [email protected]

Wolfshade
04-30-2013, 04:40 PM
Fine for me, and huzzah technical difficulties resolved!

Bigred
04-30-2013, 05:20 PM
UPDATE:

We are back up and running - full steam ahead! We are working with google to determine exactly what occurred over the last 24 hours with the BoLS frontpage, but I would like to clear up a couple of things for the record:

1) BoLS was never targeted by any DMCA, IP, or any other violation notices. While other 3rd party sites on blogger may or may not have been targeted by Games Workshop and/or Google, BoLS never was.

2) We take our security and availability seriously. Steps are being taken to prevent such an occurrence from ever happening again. BoLS job is to provide you with wargaming news, opinion, and entertainment day in and day out - and we will do exactly that.

On a personal note, I would like to thank each and every one of you who showed up during the frontpage outage and got to see and explore the BoLS Lounge. We are very proud of our great wargaming forum community and hope many of you return.

Look for regular posts, columns and commenting as usual on the frontpage as of now.

-Larry Vela

Denzark
05-01-2013, 06:40 AM
GW can suck my balls. I'm sick of their bullcrap.

Have you seen Big Red's post #16? This had nothing to do with GW but hey, please keep jumping on the outrage badwagon, it makes you look cool on the internet...

Kirsten
05-01-2013, 06:44 AM
Have you seen Big Red's post #16? This had nothing to do with GW but hey, please keep jumping on the outrage badwagon, it makes you look cool on the internet...

ssshh, no rational reactions allowed here, get the torches and pitchforks! to Nottingham! conspiracy!

Caitsidhe
05-01-2013, 06:48 AM
We don't actually "know" why BOLS went down. Nobody does yet. It could have just been Net-Gremlins. The timing is certainly suspicious. I'm sure that BOLS wants to get a good answer from the site provider, and soon.

Mr Mystery
05-01-2013, 06:49 AM
Though I have to say, it is a particularly well chosen forum name.....Dabignob indeed

Wildeybeast
05-01-2013, 01:22 PM
ssshh, no rational reactions allowed here, get the torches and pitchforks! to Nottingham! conspiracy!

If I were taking torches and pitch forks to Nottingham, GW HQ would be one of the few places I wouldn't burn down.

Wolfshade
05-01-2013, 02:43 PM
I personally think it was an Anonymous attack following on from criticism of their vigilantism.

MarneusCalgar
05-02-2013, 02:00 AM
Good to get you back, guys!

Welcome again!