PDA

View Full Version : LoS, cover and Monstrous Creatures

Kriga
08-01-2009, 07:30 AM
Ok I dont think this is a big problem but I wanted to ask you, the community, about some LoS problems me and my gaming group encounterd last time we played.

On monstrous creatures armed with long range weapons, like say a Hive Tyrant with some nasty slime-gun or whatever, you measure range from the eyes, correct? And you also check Line of Sight from said eye sockets?
And if the LoS goes above other infantry-units, the targeted enemy does not gain a cover-save because of the infantry-unit. Correct?

Sorry but me and my firends have had a little bit of an argument about this and need som clarification :P

bob
08-01-2009, 07:49 AM
If the targeted unit is entirely visible from the head of the tyrant then no cover saves.
But if the intervening unit is close enough to the target some models would probably be in cover.

Andrew283
08-01-2009, 08:01 AM
Me and my freinds personally measure range from the weapon and LOS from the eyes which makes sense really as you don't shoot from your eyes (Unless your superman)

bob
08-01-2009, 08:09 AM
but for determining cover it's the los that counts not range

Ferro
08-01-2009, 08:48 AM
Range will be measured from the front of the Tyrant's base, not its eyes. LOS for determining what it can actually see and whether the enemy gets cover is used from the eyes. Thus tall models like tyrants are more likely to be able to shoot enemies without giving them a cover save.

Enemies do not get cover simply by virtue of there being an intervening squad in the middle. The LOS must actually pass through or be obscurred by the intervening squad. There's a pic in the BRB of a unit shooting down from a building, and it shows them shooting over a squad at the one behind them without granting cover. It's the advantage of having the upper ground (or being really tall in this case).

BuFFo
08-01-2009, 09:01 AM
And you also check Line of Sight from said eye sockets?

Page 16 of the MRB (main rule book), under Check line of sight, third paragraph, first sentence. Its pretty obvious.

And if the LoS goes above other infantry-units, the targeted enemy does not gain a cover-save because of the infantry-unit. Correct?

Yes.

whitewolfmxc
08-02-2009, 06:40 AM
you check LOS from eyes i believe , for vehicles its the actual weapon that's shooting

StrikerFox
08-02-2009, 06:10 PM
in a general case, you should give your opponent the benefit of the doubt. in the case with the tyrant, usually we say he doesnt get a cover save from infantry models (so in its case gaunts or little bugs), but would get cover from other monstrous creatures or warriors etc. (and visa versa)
its just a matter of looking from the models perspective.. not neccisarily the "eyes" because then i could make a telescoping eye piece on my lootas and say they can see over a hill they are behind... or something.. :P

johnny_trash
08-10-2009, 04:32 PM
this is why the FLGS I play at bought a set of laser pointers, makes LOS very easy :)

Nabterayl
08-10-2009, 05:02 PM

The relevant citation for shots going over a unit not conferring cover saves being page 22:

Firing through units or area terrain: If a model fires through the gaps between some elements of area terrain (such as between two trees in a wood) or through the gaps between models in an intervening unit, the target is in cover, even if it is completely visible to the firer. Note that this does not apply if the shots go over the area terrain or unit rather than through it. (emphasis added)