PDA

View Full Version : 1500 Pt OK Iron Man Competition

Solution9
05-12-2013, 07:13 PM
My local gaming store we are going to do an Iron Man competition where we build 1500 points and paint it in a day. I was looking at OK because well they are expensive and small model count (yup I'm being that guy). So I figured out a stupid list but still want to run it by you folks and get some ideas. Here is what I drew up thus far:

Slaughtermaster: L4, Ogre Blade, Talisman of Preservation

Bruiser: Ogre Pistol, Heavy Armor, Sword of Might, Enchanted Shield, Seed of Rebirth, Brawlerguts

Butcher: L2, Gamblers Armor (FAQ says I can), Dispel Scroll, Ironcurse Icon

Ogres: x7 Full command

Ironguts: x6 Full command

Leadbelchers: x4

Esseldal
05-13-2013, 10:17 AM
I don't think you need both the Slaughtermaster and the Butcher. You want your SM "bubble"-ing most of his spells anyway.

I would give your Slaughtermaster a Great Weapon (looks awesome and the ASL penalty isn't that bad given his Initiative stinks anyway). I also wouldn't bother with the Ward Save. He's got a bazillion wounds, high toughness, and heals himself every time he casts. I'd give him a Great Weapon and either Grut's Sickle or the Hellheart (enemy wizards HATE the Hellheart) and call it a day.

Bruiser's OK, although I wouldn't bother with the Seed- he should have regen from Trollguts anyway. Don't know what Brawlerguts does offhand, but I would find the points to make this dude a BSB. You suffer from lowish leadership in your army and need to find a way to mitigate that. Pistol's cool but it's a gimmick- I wouldn't waste too much time on it.

I'd put both characters in your Ironguts and go 4 wide 2 deep, or really go whole hog and go BIG on that unit. If the points for the Bruiser allow (I think they would), I'd go 8 Ogres (w/Ironfists, of course) and 8 Ironguts, throw both characters in the Ironguts unit, and then the 4 Leadbelchers...

Or, if you're really serious, try to find the points to take a Horde of Ironguts- 16 of them plus the two characters, 6 wide/3 deep- AKA the infamous "Gutstar". It's a monster of a unit that benefits tremendously from the Slaughtermaster's spells (and he doesn't have to bubble them anymore because he only cares about having them on his unit anyway).

Something like (and you'll have to tweak the points as I'm not looking at the book ATM):

Slaughtermaster- L4, Great Weapon, Grut's Sickle

Bruiser- Battle Standard, Heavy Armor, Enchanted Shield <Sword of Might, Brawlerguts, other items/names as points allow>

16 Ironguts- Full Command, Banner of Eternal Flame

4 Leadbelchers. Try to get a musician/bellower in there if you can.

Have fun! =)

Solution9
05-13-2013, 01:33 PM
The only problem is that I need a 3rd unit to comply with the basic rule of having 3 units.

Esseldal
05-14-2013, 06:43 AM
I knew I'd forgotten something!

At that point I'd be looking at Sabretusks or (even better) 10 Gnoblar trappers for redirecting charges and stalling people off your gutstar.

Also don't have the OK book in front of me- what's the minimum on Leadbelchers? Can you go two units of two?

Or take a Gorger, but then you gotta shave off more points.

Solution9
05-14-2013, 01:57 PM
Leadbelchers are minimum 3 or 4 but defiantly not 2. I was thinking of tossing a large monster in. This is an Iron Man competition where we pain a 1500 army in one day. I'm trying to be that jerk (j/k) who has like just a few overpriced models and have a barely functioning legal list. I could just put in a unit of Bulls but I would like to avoid gnoblars altogether if possible.