PDA

View Full Version : 1500 eldar

awesomebob
11-03-2009, 09:26 PM
Alright, Ive been playing this list with great success for a few weeks but i feel like 300 points or so of it could be put to better use. so without further adieu

Seer - guide, doom, stones, ward

Autarch - fusion gun, power weap, mandiblasters

Avengers - 9x + exark w/ dual cats and bladestorm, serpent w/ shuricans and stones (Seer rides here)

Avengers - 5x riding in falcon

Dragons - 6x, serpent w/ shuricans and stones (Autark rides here)

Banshees - 9x + exark w/ shout, acrobat, and exicutioner, serpent w/ shuricans and stones (This is the offending unit)

Walkers - 2 squads of 2 all with scats

Falcon - Holofield, stones, starcannon (AP2 makes me happy)

Although ive been either winning or losing/drawing in cliffhangers, it seems to me that i would be better off without the banshees since they only do what i want them to do (which is ruin heavy infantry) every fifth game or so. The rest of the time they just fly around making tac squads wet their pants until they get shot out of the sky and torn apart by bolters and such.

Im thinking of dropping 1 walker and making 1 squad of 3 and dropping the banshees altogether. To replace them im looking at a flameguard squad and maybe a wraithlord with a brightlance. i dont own banshees or stormguardians so all suggestions will be considered before my next purchase. Thanks in advance

MunDMC
11-03-2009, 10:42 PM
Seer - guide, doom, stones, ward
Solid. I imagine you are using guide the majority of the time on the falcon or war walkers. Honestly, you may be able to drop spirit stones in a pinch as it's rare you'll need to guide a bladestorming DA squad AND doom it's target

Autarch - fusion gun, power weap, mandiblasters
Hmmm... not quite sure what the utility of this guy is. S3 makes autarchs pretty lousy in assault, you don't really have anybody who needs the reserves bonus (unless you routinely outflank 2 squads of war walkers). He'll get shot to pieces with your fire dragons after disembarking. If you want a high BS melta, save the poitns and take a fire dragon autarch.

Avengers - 9x + exark w/ dual cats and bladestorm, serpent w/ shuricans and stones (Seer rides here)
Don't leave home without them

Avengers - 5x riding in falcon
I laughed the first time i heard my friend call this the "DAVU" (Dire Avenger Vehicle Upgrade). BEst 60 points spent to make a hard-to-kill tank a scoring unit

Dragons - 6x, serpent w/ shuricans and stones (Autark rides here)
See above about aurtarch.

Banshees - 9x + exark w/ shout, acrobat, and exicutioner (This is the offending unit)
They sadly need a safe delivery system. Without a wave serpent, it's tough to utilize them on a 4x6 board

Walkers - 2 squads of 2 all with scats
Hmmmm... two squads of two you say? Pro's: two outflanking units that benefit from your autard, able to split fire, easier to gain cover saves; Con's: uses a heavy slot, can only guide two at a time. It's so odd to see a 1500 point eldar list without all of the heavies filled, but if it works for you that's great.

Falcon - Holofield, stones, starcannon (AP2 makes me happy)
Really, starcannon? If you play a lot of terminators i understand, but scatter lasers get the same kills vs MEQ's, more kills vs GEQ. If you are tank hunting, star-cannon's start to separate from scatter lasers against AV12. If you're shooting at anything higher than AV12 routinely, consider going brightlance and guiding that bad-boy.

I guess "flameguards" = storm guardians with two flamers. They sound interesting on paper but i haven't play-tested them yet. Are you in any mood to buy and paint another wave serpent and banshees to go full mech? I feel that is your best bet. Dropping the autarch and one war walker would allow you to take a fire dragon exarch and a wave serpent for those banshees.

Hope I was helpful

awesomebob
11-03-2009, 11:36 PM
The banshees were supposed to have a serpent as well.... i really should check my work.

on the autark subject, im not really in love with him but i hold everything in reserve more often than not and that 3plus can be invaluable.

i like the idea of taking the stones off of the seer because most of the time only one of those powers are really useful and i cast the other just because i can. Interesting.

"flameguards" does refer to stormguardians with two flamers and also a warlock with destructor. they can drop out of a moving waveserpent and do what they are designed to do (roast people) unlike banshees who have to wait inside the serpent until next turn to get out and chop up dudes. Most opponents will not allow that to happen either by focusing on them until they are useless or simply moving away

Confuddled
11-04-2009, 01:30 AM
Flamer Guardians work very nicely indeed – relatively cheap and fast scoring unit.

Which is the key here - 2 games out of 3, they’re never getting out of their transport - they’re too valuable as a mobile, well-protected scoring unit that can rush out to grab an objective come late game.

If the other guy wants to get rid of ‘em, he’s got to kill both the Serpent AND the squad riding inside.

(Kinda like your Banshees, in a way, except that they can actually win a game for you without actually killing anything!)

I’d probably settle for Embolden, though, instead of Destructor – cheaper, and the ability to re-roll morale checks is a good thing for a Ld 8 squad…

Best part is, trading the Banshees in for a squad of Guardians would free up enough points to replace the Dragons with a unit of Wraithguard with an attached Warlock wielding a Singing Spear.

- Same effective range
- Same number of anti-tank shots

Granted, they’re not as likely to score a penetrating hit - against AV14, you’re looking at a 33% chance per hit for Wraithguard compared to 58% for Dragons, and it gets worse from there, BUT:

1) You don’t have to get quite as close (12” compared to 6”)

2) You’re a lot more likely to get a second shot, since Wraithguard are a LOT less vulnerable to massed S3/S4 shots/attacks.

Besides, you’ve still got the Autarch’s fusion gun as a back-up option if you absolutely MUST kill that pesky AV14 tank.