PDA

View Full Version : Arjac the Bada$$

VulkansApprentice
11-04-2009, 04:51 PM
I have not heard his praises sung enough, so I have decided to become the
herald for Arjac. He may only be an upgrade character, but man is he a doozy.
Yes, 170 points is pricey, but below see my comparison to the nearest compatible
option, and he's really a bargain. Now, Lukas won't be getting any of the same
praise from me, however.

Arjac(170)
WS5 BS5 S5(10) T4 W2 I4 A3 LD9 SV2+/3+
-Stubborn
-Grimnar's Champion- must direct attacks against IC, re-roll to hit IC/MC
-Foehammer-TH, 6" S10 AP1 *** 1
-Anvil Shield-SS, +1A 1st round of ANY assault
-Wolftooth necklace- 3+ hit CC
-Term. Armor
-Saga of the Bear

The closest next option:
Wolf Guard Battle Leader(195)
WS5 BS5 S4 T4 W2 I5 A3 LD9 SV2+/3+
-70-Base
-40-Term. Armor
-40-TH/SS
-10-Wolftooth neck.
-35-Saga of the Bear-while not even an option, saga costs are comparable across
WL/WGBL(beastslayer, wolfkin, warrior born), so if this was an option it would
probably be 35

Arjac's advantages:
-+1S(+2 when you factor in the TH)
-Anvil shield gives +1A for the first round, so if he charges or gets charged
and makes his counter-attack test, that's 5 S10 attacks that hit on 3+! Even if he fails
counterattack that's still 4
-Stubborn, Grimnar's Champion, Foehammer shooting attack, and SotB

WGBL Advantages
- +1I - though no real difference with TH
-Arjac is not is an IC, so once his his meat shield is gone he's a super lone-wolf,
minus FNP, WGBL can find more bodies to hide behind

Questionable advantage/disadvantage: The WGBL is an HQ, so if you need to fill your
mandatory slot he works; with 4 HQ choices available this is not really a problem
of him burning a slot if you don't need him for that purpose. Arjac is not an HQ, he's
Elite/Troops depending on if you have Logan or not, so he can't fill that same role.
The WGBL can be taken independently; Arjac requires at least min. Wolf Guard, which I
don't find a problem because they fit well into any type of force.(Maybe a problem
in smaller games, but I don't play less than 2k)

All this for a comparable 25 points cheaper? He will be in every SW army I ever make,
hands-down.

With no shortage of attacks elsewhere to cut down chaff, Arjac beats any configuration of Lone Wolf
you can make to hunt and kill armor/MC.

One wording choice I noticed that was rather interesting. (No, I do not want to open another
chapter of whether the TH shooting attack affects initiative or not) This is regarding
the wording for Grimnar's Champion. More of a rules question though, so I put it in the rules section HERE (http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/showthread.php?p=32579#post32579)

Xas
11-04-2009, 05:09 PM
arjac actually is 188 points because 170 is only the upgrade cost from a normal, naked wolf guard.

this doesnt change anything on his awesomness though (unless you are a neat number freak but then you are allways wrong served with wolf guards :) )

Confuddled
11-04-2009, 07:14 PM
Technically, seeing as how Arjac is an upgrade character, the fairest comparison would be other Wolf Guard.

Assuming you’ve already paid for the minimum 2 Wolf Guard models –

On the one hand, you’ve got Arjac weighing in at 188 points.

On the other, you’ve got an equivalent number of points in MORE Wolf Guard – call it 2 Thunder Hammer/Chainfist+Storm Shield Terminators and 2 Terminators with combi-meltas at 192 points.

- Twice the number of wounds – same effect as Saga of the Bear, since they're all W1 models anyway.

- More attacks (4 S4 I4 power weapon attacks and 4 S8 Thunder Hammer/Chainfist attacks). Granted, combat losses will degrade the unit’s performance, but you’ve still got the 2 “spare” wounds you already paid for.

- For the first shot, at least, they have a similar threat profile when shooting at 12”. Arjac’s got 1 S10 hammer shot. The Wolf Guard get 2 S8 melta shots.

On the basis of points, I’ll stick with Wolf Guard, thank you very much.

Where Arjac really comes into his own would be if:

1) You want to chain his attacks with a Wolf Priest, since no one else can do his job, OR;

2) You absolutely MUST pack the most punch into a limited space (ie a Drop Pod or Land Raider) and points are a secondary concern.

DarkLink
11-04-2009, 07:32 PM
You can't get WS 5, BS 5 or 2 wounds on a Wolf Guard, while the only difference for a Wolf Leader is I5 (which doesn't matter) and the IC rule, plus all of Arjac's special rules. Battle Leader is a better comparison.

The fact that Arjac isn't an IC is actually an advantage. Stick him in a decent sized squad of Wolf Guard, and the enemy will have to go through the Wolf Guard to get to him. That gives him plenty of time to kill stuff in the meantime.

The real question is, who is cooler, Arjac or Lysander:D?

Chumbalaya
11-04-2009, 07:33 PM
Arjac is awesome.

Anybody who disagrees is a wuss.

Arjac Rockfist's beard conceals another fist.
Arjac Rockfist leaves the light on at night. Not because he is afraid of the dark, but because the dark is afraid of Arjac Rockfist.
Arjac Rockfist doesn't sleep. He waits.
Arjac Rockfist doesn't go hunting, hunting implies the chance of failure. Arjac Rockfist goes killing.
Arjac Rockfist eats nails for breakfast. Without milk.
Every night, Khorne checks under his bed for Arjac Rockfist.
Arjac Rockfist is twice as manly as a lumberjack juggling chainsaws while screaming his bald, purity-seal-adorned, head off.
Arjac Rockfist divided by 0.

Arjac Rockfist's railgun is only 6" long. If you know what I mean.

/bored

MightyOrang
11-04-2009, 07:42 PM
Much as I LOVE the idea of 188 points of whupass in a can ... Lysander edges him out for Bolter Drill and the fortify abilities.

AND Lysander can take a retuine ... which means he could get FNP as well.

Woof Woof Woof!

VulkansApprentice
11-04-2009, 07:57 PM
How stupid of me to have forgotten the initial 18 pts. Don't worry, I'll report myself to the nearest wolf priest for punishment due to my failure.

As far as using the same amount of points to buy more wolf guard, I don't buy it. But then again, that's because:
"2) You absolutely MUST pack the most punch into a limited space (ie a Drop Pod or Land Raider) and points are a secondary concern."
this condition applies to me. He drops pods in with a squad of blood claws as meat shield and kills big stuff.

DarkLink
11-04-2009, 08:09 PM
Arjac once threw his hammer so far, it hit him in the back of the head.

If you spell Arjac Rockbeard in scrabble, you win. Forever.

Arjac once hit a Tyranid so hard that he altered its DNA structure, creating a virus that killed the entire hive fleet when the splattered remains of the Tyranid was reabsorbed.

Arjac doesn't need to "Seize" the initiative. He already has it, he just likes to give his opponent a glimmer of hope.

Arjac can solve every single one of his problems with violence.

Confuddled
11-04-2009, 08:39 PM
You can't get … 2 wounds on a Wolf Guard

You don't need to, precisely because Arjac is NOT an IC – his wounds belong to the squad as a whole, as do his attacks, just like any other Wolf Guard.

For almost the exact same cost (1-4 point difference), you get:

1) Arjac and 2 gophers = 4 wounds (4 S10 attacks), 5 on the charge; OR

2) 2 Thunderhammer/Chainfist+Shield Terminators, 2 regular Terminators and 2 gophers = 6 wounds, 4 S8 attacks (6 on the charge), 4 S4 power weapon attacks (6 on the charge); OR

3) 3 Thunderhammer/Chainfist+Shield Terminators and 2 gophers = 5 wounds, (6 S8 attacks, 9 on the charge)

Allocate wounds and attacks from/to both sides as you will.

The only real advantages in favour of Arjac?

1) Arjac takes up less space, so you can attach an IC or two as well if you’re using a transport.

2) Arjac’s squad can take ONE extra wound without losing any critical Thunderhammer attacks.

As for WS/BS5, well:

WS is pretty much irrelevant, since he’s already hitting on 3+ and most opponents are already hitting him on 4+.

BS5 vs BS4 IS a weakness on the part of regular Wolf Guard – the question is whether the extra point of WS/BS and his special rules are worth the cost of another 3-9 Wolf Guard.

Stick him in a decent sized squad of Wolf Guard, and the enemy will have to go through the Wolf Guard to get to him. That gives him plenty of time to kill stuff in the meantime.

Aye, well, that’s the thing, innit?

Considering the premium you’re paying for Arjac, can you afford to field said decent-sized squad of Wolf Guard?

]As far as using the same amount of points to buy more wolf guard, I don't buy it. But then again, that's because:
"2) You absolutely MUST pack the most punch into a limited space (ie a Drop Pod or Land Raider) and points are a secondary concern."
this condition applies to me. He drops pods in with a squad of blood claws as meat shield and kills big stuff

I’d disagree that it applies here, since you can actually pack MORE punch for similar points.

Arjac, 8 Bloodclaws, drop pod – 343 points

Pack of 7 Wolf Guard (3 Terminators with thunder hammers and storm shields, 4 Wolf Guard with combi-meltas), drop pod – 316 points.

Heck. Throw in a cyclone launcher or assault cannon for good measure, bringing the cost of the squad to 346 points.

I’d respectfully submit that the pack of 7 Wolf Guard has a heck lot more punch than Arjac and his Bloodclaws for almost exactly the same points.

About the only time that condition really kicks in would be if you’ve already maxed out the killing potential of the unit but you want to squeeze in even MORE punch.

Say you’ve already got Logan, 2 combi-melta Wolf Guard, a Terminator with a heavy flamer and a Terminator with a chainfist in a drop pod.

There’s space for 1 more Terminator – you could get a regular Wolf Guard termie, or you could get Arjac.

Assuming points are not an issue, then heck yeah, Arjac’s the man.

RocketRollRebel
11-04-2009, 08:59 PM
Arjac is awesome.

Arjac Rockfist leaves the light on at night. Not because he is afraid of the dark, but because the dark is afraid of Arjac Rockfist.
Arjac Rockfist doesn't go hunting, hunting implies the chance of failure. Arjac Rockfist goes killing.
Arjac Rockfist is twice as manly as a lumberjack juggling chainsaws while screaming his bald, purity-seal-adorned, head off.

/bored

I will second the motion

MightyOrang
11-04-2009, 09:40 PM
Arjac once threw his hammer so far, it hit him in the back of the head.

If you spell Arjac Rockbeard in scrabble, you win. Forever.

Arjac once hit a Tyranid so hard that he altered its DNA structure, creating a virus that killed the entire hive fleet when the splattered remains of the Tyranid was reabsorbed.

Arjac doesn't need to "Seize" the initiative. He already has it, he just likes to give his opponent a glimmer of hope.

Arjac can solve every single one of his problems with violence.

Arjac's tears could heal the Emperor, but Arjac never cries.

crazyredpraetorian
11-05-2009, 01:17 AM
Arjac killed a 6 pack just to watch it die.

MightyOrang
11-05-2009, 07:11 AM
Arjac rolls 7s on a D6

Bikeninja
11-05-2009, 10:12 AM
So far I have gotten every point that I have spent on Arjac and the wolf guard back cause Arjac is that darn awesome. Wolf Lord w/ Saga Bear and Frost blade, Arjac, WG w/ 2 LC and SS and 1 w/ TH SS vs. Lysander and 7 TH SS TDA's. 2 rounds of combat. Lord and Arjac standing tall. Everyone else toast.

He is awesome. No doubt about it.

DarkLink
11-05-2009, 01:02 PM
Arjac can sweeping advance.

Arjac is one of the missing Primarchs.

The fear of Arjac is the real reason why Abbaddon never makes it past the Cadians on his crusades.

Gotthammer
11-05-2009, 01:13 PM
Arjac has two speeds - walk and kill.

Ajac can hear fruit. He says apples scream the loudest.

crazyredpraetorian
11-05-2009, 01:28 PM
The wind doesn't blow by Arjac, it runs.

Dingareth
11-05-2009, 02:06 PM
It's a common misconception that Arjac painted his armor black. The sun is just afraid to shine on hi, for fear of offending him in some way.

DarkLink
11-05-2009, 07:58 PM
Horus dropped his shields so the Emperor could kill him, because Horus heard that Arjac had just arrived.

Rixnor
11-05-2009, 08:23 PM
The Wolf Priests may wake up Bjorn every hundred years, but Arjac puts him to sleep.

EmperorEternalXIX
11-05-2009, 08:48 PM
Arjac seems like too many points for me, no matter how badass he may be.

In the end it comes down to one simple fact: Lukas the Trickster and his unit is scoring and cheaper. And the best part? If those blood claws are on an objective, no monstrous creature is going to anywhere near them for fear of hearing the Last Laugh...

DarkLink
11-05-2009, 10:09 PM
The Wolf Priests may wake up Bjorn every hundred years, but Arjac puts him to sleep.

I think this is the best one so far :D

VulkansApprentice
11-06-2009, 09:38 AM
Who would win in a fight between Arjac and Chuck Norris?

Trick question: Arjac IS Chuck Norris

(My model actually kind of looks like him too)

Sam
11-06-2009, 04:12 PM
Arjac seems like too many points for me, no matter how badass he may be.

In the end it comes down to one simple fact: Lukas the Trickster and his unit is scoring and cheaper. And the best part? If those blood claws are on an objective, no monstrous creature is going to anywhere near them for fear of hearing the Last Laugh...

Arjac and his unit are scoring in my army.

Also, Lukas has the Last Laugh only when he dies, Arjac ALWAYS has the last laugh, because Arjac never dies.

EmperorEternalXIX
11-06-2009, 05:11 PM
I dunno I still like Lukas more. I just love the idea of toying with the one instant death wound during allocation, taunting my enemy...

CaptainSinon
11-13-2009, 04:53 PM
i prefer this wolf lord

wolf lord + saga of the bear, runic armour, thunder hammer, storm shield, wolftooth necklace, thunderwolf

granted 100 points more but with an extra wound and a few more attacks a point of toughness a vague imunity to psychic powers extra leadership extra speed i think its worth it

(smaller games i take arjac though for the lols:))

Flummer
11-28-2009, 09:37 AM
Arjac is the reason why the necrons went into hiding. The only reason they have come back out is because Lukas the trickster told them Arjac moved on to conqer another galaxy. They're in for a rude awakening!

Arjac is the real Captain Hammer, and no, his fists are not the hammer...

In all previous SW codexs they had the LRBT, now they have Arjac, good luck universe....

When Arjac picks his teeth, he uses other peoples teeth.

Leman Russ once said "We need a Fortess" and looked at Arjac. He rolled his eyes and slammed his hammer into a mountain. That is how the most unbreachable fortress "the Fang" was really created.

Bard of Twilight
12-01-2009, 04:20 AM
Arjac is awesome.

/bored

Well, althought I really like Arjac ,I'm afraid that if Chac finds out what is going on, then poor Arjac will be as good as dead!

toomanyarmies
12-01-2009, 06:45 PM
If Arjac Rockfist lifts his leg to pee on you. You let him.
Seriously though. I've heard that the only way to distract and stop Arjac from attacking you is if you stick your thumb up his bum. But what if he is attacking you BECAUSE you stuck your thumb up his bum?
It's a tricky one.