PDA

View Full Version : Drop/Mech 1850 SW

bryce963
11-04-2009, 09:49 PM
Wolf lord rides with the blood claws, and the rune priest rides with the 9 hunters.

Before it can be said, I know: plasma guns are pointless, that it needs more melta, and blood claws only have WS 3. Also I don't have the resources or skill to make TWC at the moment. In 1850, which is what is played in the area I have moved to, I cannot get the amount of troops I want and a landraider.

As to the ld 8 problem, with taking the 2 HQ's, which is debatable, trading the priest and some points for 3 wolf guard with power fists is a possibility.

Also I don't know about the missile launcher and assault cannon, but it gives him an 8, or template and some range, as nothing else is over 24in. But I have a normal dread so two AoBR dreads aren't in the cards at the moment.

Thanks everyone, sorry to be a bit snippy at the top, I just wanted to get a few things out of the way.

HQ
195 Wolf lord, frost blade, storm shield, saga of the warrior born, melta bomb
105 Rune priest , melta bomb Tempest's Wrath and Living Lightning

Elites
150 Dreadnought , Multi melta, heavy flamer, drop pod
150 Dreadnought , assault cannon, missile launcher , drop pod

Troops
205 10 grey hunters , 2 plasma guns , drop pod
210 10 grey hunters , 2 melta , MoW rhino
210 10 grey hunters , 2 melta , MoW , rhino
190 9 135, grey hunters, melta , MoW , rhino
170 9 blood claws , flamer, rhino

Fast Attack
60 MM speeder
60 MM speeder
60 MM speeder

Heavy Support
85 Whirlwind

Confuddled
11-04-2009, 11:15 PM
plasma guns are pointless, that it needs more melta
Oh, I don’t know – podding 2 plasma guns in makes for a pretty scary first volley. Not so hot against heavy armour, but downright mean against anyone else!

Thanks everyone, sorry to be a bit snippy at the top, I just wanted to get a few things out of the way.
Perfectly alright! Always good to be clear about any external limitations that might apply before you start asking for comments.

So, about that list…

Also I don't know about the missile launcher and assault cannon, but it gives him an 8, or template and some range, as nothing else is over 24in..
I actually rather like the assault cannon – what I don’t like is the missile launcher.

For the exact same cost, I’d much rather run a bog-standard assault cannon Dreadnought with a Wolftooth Necklace – still contributes to the shooting phase, but a LOT scarier in close combat.

As for the limited range, well, he can always run up behind the various Rhinos whilst his pod comes down empty.

As for the rest of the list:

1) Are you absolutely dead-set on the Wolf Lord and Bloodclaws? ;)

Its not the WS or the Ld that’s an issue – it’s the fact that the Blood Claws and Wolf Lord are a very assault-oriented unit mounted in a very thin-skinned transport that has to be stationary before they can assault out of it.

Given the way the list is trending (lots of troops!), I’d actually use the points to beef up your existing Grey Hunters - Wolf Standards (one of the best one-shot upgrades EVER), power weapons, the whole hog.

Maybe bring along a couple of Razorback-mounted squads to hold the fort whilst everyone else goes out to play.

2) Same thing applies to the Whirlwind – the Grey Hunters are just that good that the points for the Whirlwind would go nicely towards bringing MORE Grey Hunters to the party, or possibly upgrading the Razorbacks to twin-linked lascannon.

Gives you some extra reach, and between the pods, Dreads and Rhinos, AV11 shouldn’t be an issue, especially since a Razorback can shoot over the top of any blocking Rhinos just fine!

Basically:

Rune Priest, combi-plasma, melta bomb

10 Grey Hunters, Rhino, power weapon, Mark of the Wulfen, Wolf Standard, 2 melta guns

10 Grey Hunters, Rhino, power weapon, Mark of the Wulfen, Wolf Standard, 2 melta guns

9 Grey Hunters, Rhino, power weapon, Mark of the Wulfen, Wolf Standard, 1 plasma gun

10 Grey Hunters, drop pod, power weapon, Mark of the Wulfen, Wolf Standard, 2 plasma guns

6 Grey Hunters, flamer, Razorback, t/l lascannon

6 Grey Hunters, flamer, Razorback, t/l lascannon

Dreadnought, multi-melta, heavy flamer, drop pod
Dreadnought, assault cannon, wolftooth necklace, drop pod

3x1 Land Speeder with multi-melta

No idea what you’re going to do with the last 15 points – buy extra armour for a Dreadnought?

Chumbalaya
11-05-2009, 10:38 AM
Plasma guns are pointless, Blood Claws only have WS3, you need to get TWC ;)

Now that that's out of the way.

Some more armor wouldn't hurt here. Swapping out the Whirly and a Speeder for 2 dakka Preds would be most agreeable. They're cheap and dish out a lot of pain. Adding heavy flamers to your Speeders would be useful as well.

I'd go dual TLAC for your second dread, or double up on MM/HF. The AC/ML doesn't really work well together considering their different roles.

Wolf Lord is pretty pricey, him and his unit will be priority targets since you don't have much HtH threat beyond them.

bryce963
11-05-2009, 06:19 PM
Even more troops I like it, I always forget about razorbacks.

I have the wolf lord already built in terminator armor(twin wolf claws and warrior born is crazy in test combats), and he is in progress in power armor, but yes he and the blood claws do cost a lot. I can get another squad for that one model. Ok more troops for that almost 200 points sounds good.

He is being a pain to put together anyway. Though shield, huge terminator axe(as tall as a normal marine) and beard are cool looking.

I had predators in an older version of this list, with autocannon and las sponsons. That doesn't seem to be many points and if stationary can get off 4 shots that will pop transports, and half will hurt everything but 14. the Tl las cannon on a predator seems like too many points for what you get. An autocannon and heavy bolters would help with troops and light armor, that seems more flexible than the whirlwind.

I like the dreads, they seem like they would be a good disruption, and if my opponent just doesn't deploy because of 3 drop pods, well that gives me more time to head towards objectives and get good fire lanes. The plasma squad is for hopefully dropping near an objective, shooting the hell out of it and then claiming/contesting. If it gets screwed and comes in late because of guard etc, even better. The dreads are guaranteed on the first turn.

thanks.
bp