PDA

View Full Version : 1500 point Troutny list - Chaos SMs Death Guard themed.

Maxis Lithium
11-04-2009, 11:54 PM
Allright people, at the end of november, one of my FLGs is having a tourny, and I'm registered. I have signed up with my Chaos Plague Mariens and I want some feed back on my current army plan.

The Fettered Host

Chaos Demon Prince w/ Wings, the Mark of Nurgel and Wind of Chaos. - 180

Plague Marine squad, 7 man, with Champion equiped with powerfist. The squad has a summoning Icon and a pair of Melta Guns. The unit is mounted in a Rhino w/ Extra Armour - 276

Plague Marine Squad, 8 man with a Champion equiped with a powerfist. The squad has a summoning icon and a pair of plasma guns. - 259

Plague Marine Squad, 8 man with a Champion equiped with a powerfist. The squad has a summoning icon and a pair of plasma guns. - 259

Summoned Deamons, 10 bodies.

2 Obliterators - 150

Chaos Land Raider with a twin-bolter and which is possesed by a the demon of all those dirty socks I left under my bed when I left home for collage, and somehow became sentian by the time I came back. - 245

Total points spent: 1499

I also had a version of this list which had more troops and a sorcerer, but I think the Demon Prince will draw fire better and be more effective in Dawn of War senarios.

What do you think?

Confuddled
11-05-2009, 12:22 AM
Eh.

1) Not a fan of Wind of Chaos – expensive, random, and most important of all, much too short-ranged.

Against most regular troopers, you’d do better to just wade in and start chopping – breathing on him just gives him a chance to remove models within 6” of the Prince.

Against the scary assault units like Assault Terminators and Nobs and whatnot, you really don’t want to get that close anyway!

Apart from that, the Prince works fine as an obligatory HQ choice, bully unit and fire magnet.

2) With only two hulls (1 a mere Rhino!), I’d be wary of bringing a lone Raider, especially seeing as how pretty much every army is bristling with melta weapons.

Priority should go towards giving Rhinos to your Plague Marine squads – gives them a little more mobility as well as some much-needed redundancy and mutual cover. Extra armour optional - that should be your last priority, really.

Rest of the points? Bring more Daemons (2 squads of 7 instead of 1 squad of 10), maybe another 2 obliterators OR maybe a suicide squad of Terminators with combi-weapons.

Might as well get some use out of all those Icons you’ve got floating around, as well as the potential to reach into the other guy’s deployment zone off the bat.

Maxis Lithium
11-05-2009, 12:46 AM
The Raider is a fire magnet, I agree. It should survive much of what's trhown at it, but Melta is a serious problem, I agree. And I'm a little loathed to use more Rhinos, as I have 2 more, but they're both 2nd ed clown cars. legal, but I don't want to field them cuz they're ugly.

I agree, Wind isn't the best, should I use Warp Time for punch, of cheap out and take Doom Bolt? Still effective at shooting, but much less espensive. I've worked very hard on my LR, and I'me hoping to score some painting points with it. Is the raider thta much of a liability?

Confuddled
11-05-2009, 01:26 AM
I agree, Wind isn't the best, should I use Warp Time for punch, of cheap out and take Doom Bolt? Still effective at shooting, but much less espensive
Ehh…

Warptime is nice, but it really depends on how y’all play it. Trouble is, its also expensive, just like everything else in your list!

Honestly, I’d just take a basic winged Prince of Nurgle and be done with it – you really don’t have the points to spend on anything else!

I'm a little loathed to use more Rhinos, as I have 2 more, but they're both 2nd ed clown cars. legal, but I don't want to field them cuz they're ugly.
… …
I've worked very hard on my LR, and I'me hoping to score some painting points with it. Is the raider thta much of a liability?
Ok. Point taken – not going to disagree either! If it looks good, go for it.

The Land Raider makes for a really nifty centre-piece model, but it IS that big (literally and figuratively) a liability – lances, melta weapons, S10 ordnance – they all make pretty short work of a Land Raider.

It doesn’t’ help that the rest of your list, with the exception of the Prince, is fairly static, expensive and very defensive in nature –

a) You don’t have quite enough warm bodies to slog across the board to take the fight to the enemy.

b) You don’t have quite enough shooting to stand up to a long-distance shooting match.

If you really do want to take the Raider, perhaps you could:

1) Split the 10-man Daemon unit into 2 units of 7.

2) Replace the mounted Plague Marine squad with a unit of Chosen riding a standard 35-point Rhino?

Call it 6 Chosen with an Icon of Nurgle (stupidly expensive, but I’m assuming you’ve got a theme thing going here), 4 melta guns, 1 power weapon and 1 melta bomb.

Entire unit outflanks.

Like I said, its stupidly expensive (especially with the Icon of Nurgle) but it actually gives you a shot at taking the fight to the other guy’s backfield and maybe gives your Daemons (or even the Obliterators) a beacon to home in on.

If you’re willing to break with theme and go with a regular Icon of Chaos Glory, then maybe beef the unit up abit with an extra model and a unit champ with a power fist instead of a regular (!!) Chosen with a mere power weapon…

Trouble is, with the limitations you’ve given, there really are no “good” choices – only less-bad ones, and I’m sure you really don’t need to hear the usual spiel about “Take Lash Princes. Take Oblits. Take Plague Marines. Everything else sucks”… … ;)

Maxis Lithium
11-05-2009, 02:17 AM
I actually agree with the out flanking chosen squad. If I was going to do them I'd use undeavidedtroops for it, but not this time out (as my fallen angels undevided squad has not a lick of paint on it.)

Right now, I'm thinking the following:

Demon Prince w/ MoN, Wings and Doom Bolt 160

Plauge Marine squad. 7 man, 2 Meltas, Champ w/ PF, Icon, Rhino (naked) - 261

Plauge Marine squad. 8 man, 2 plasma, champ w/ PF, Icon. - 259

Plauge Marine squad. 8 man, 2 plasma, champ w/ PF, Icon. - 259

Land Raider w/ possesion - 240

Obliterators x2 - 150

Summoned demons, 7 man - 91

Summoned Demons , 6 man - 78

total: 1498

Tight squeez I'll admit, but that's 5 scoring units. part of me wants to drop the 6 man demon squad for a 3rd Oblit, but this'll work out for now I think.

8 man nugel squads are solid, and if I'm good with spacing, I should be able to avoid pie plates of doom without too much difficulty.

Confuddled
11-05-2009, 02:42 AM
Fair enough – if that’s what you’ve got, that’s what you’ve got.

Thinking out loud, though, maybe tweak would be who gets the Rhino, and maybe squad size.

MAYBE call it 7/7/9, with:
1) The 9-man squad getting the 2 melta guns, and
2) One 7-man squad getting the Rhino?

That way, it might be worthwhile to load the 9-man squad into the Raider, since they can jump out, shoot and then charge – yes, their Initiative sucks, but there will be times when it might be worth it to get the bonus attack.

Meanwhile, the plasma gunners are more likely to benefit from jumping out of a Rhino and rapid-firing away – its not as if assaulting is going to be an option for them anyway.

Chumbalaya
11-05-2009, 10:40 AM
I don't see much point to the Land Raider tbh. You might be better off fitting in 2 more Rhinos and another DP or more Oblits.

SlavesToDarkness
11-06-2009, 12:39 AM
Agree. Kick the Land Raider to the curb.

TAKE WARP-TIME. It is worth its weight in gold. My Tzeentch Daemon Prince once killed a Trygon all on his own.