PDA

View Full Version : DeamonHunters and Imperial Guard come together in an epic 2000 pt list!

Polaris
11-05-2009, 07:24 PM
UPDATED

Alright, after much review and help from this forum I have come up with a new army list. I am a fan of highly mobile, elite lists. I feel this army list reflects that the best!

Please review this, don't be afraid to be mean. I want to you to exploit EVERY weakness you see in my list.

Fluff/theme

I like to try to come up with a background theme for my army. I will probably be using the Death Korps models for the Infantry squads.

4th war for Armageddon.

After losing Ghazghkull in a chase with the black templar, Yarrick returns to Armageddon (silly umes! Dey was not as fast as da Ghazghjull!). He arrives in a sea of chaos. It seems that all of the blood shed on the planet caught the attention of the demon gods and they want their share. An inquisitor and a force of grey knights descends on the planet. The inquisitor heard how Yarrick defended the planet so brilliantly before and will need someone with his kind of knowledge.

The inquisitor has put a force of the most elite soldiers Armageddon has to offer. They are the plants only hope.

New list

HQ

Yarrick

(attached to grey knight squad)

Elites

Marbo

Inquisitor w/ psychic hood
x2 mystic
x2hierophant
Multimelta servitor

Fast attack

x 2 Vendetta

Troops

Grey Knight Squad
Justicar with frag grenades melta bombs and targeter
Grey knight with incinerator
Grey knights x 6

Grey Knight Squad
Grey knights x 6

Veteran Squad
Melta x 3
Chimera

Veteran Squad
Melta x 3
Chimera

Veteran Squad
Melta x 3
Chimera

Veteran squad
Sergeant Harker
Sniper veterans x 3
Missile Launcher
Chimera

Heavy
Leman Russ /w lascannon
Leman Russ /w lascannon
Leman Russ /w lascannon

66 bodies
4 chimeras
3 leman russ tanks
2 vendettas

I think this is a substantial improvement over my old list. I buffed up the GK squads and attached Yarrick to one of them. These units are going to be absolutely brutal.

I got rid of the demo charges on the Melta squads.

Added Harker to the vet squad that will camp on my home objective. He helps the squad IMMENSELY.

By taking out upgrades I didnt need and switch out some units, I believe I have an effective blend of elements.

Please compare to my old list, which is as follows.

HQ

"Iron Hand" Straken

Melta x 4

Elite

Inquisitor with Psychic hood
x 2 Mystic
x 2 Heriophant

Guardsman Marbo

Fast Attack

Vendetta

Vendetta

Vendetta

Troops

Grey Knight Justicar with melta bombs and frag grenades
GK with incinerator
x 4 Grey Knights

Grey Knight Justicar with melta bombs and frag grenades
GK with incinerator
x 4 Grey Knights

Imperial Guard Veteran Squad in a Chimera ( ML, HB)
x 3 melta
"Demolitions" Upgrade

Imperial Guard Veteran Squad in a Chimera ( ML, HB )
x 3 melta
"Demolitions" Upgrade

Imperial Guard Veteran Squad in a Chimera ( ML, HB )
x 3 melta
"Demolitions" Upgrade

Imperial Guard Veteran With A Chimera ( ML , HB )
x 3 Snipers
Rocket Launcher

Heavy Support

Leman russ

Leman russ

Leman russ

1999 Total Points

Tactics

The Inquisitor gets the Sniper Squads Chimera. The sniper squad camps on my home objective.

The Inquisitor and the demolishers try to stick together. Anything that deep strikes near me gets to deal 2 demolisher tanks. OWCH!

Marbo is thrown in for some fun : )

The HQ and the 2 squads of grey knights either go into the vendettas and outflank or scout ahead. The Vendettas pop transports and the Grey knights deal with whats inside. Straken gives the grey knights STR 7 and I 5.

Medusa hangs out and does what it does.

SlavesToDarkness
11-06-2009, 12:32 AM
1. Master of Ordnance does not belong in that command squad. It will be embarked or moving too much for him to be of any use. Swap him out for a Master of the Fleet.

2. I don't know why you are implying DH codex rhinos are terrible - strictly according to the codex, elite inquisitors cannot take transports. However - if you use the Imperial Armor 2 re-write, you can take 35pt Rhinos for any inquisitor. Download it from Forgeworld.

3. You've got plenty of melta. Inquisitors shouldn't get close to the enemy - they die. Get two heavy bolter servitors and a psycannon and park the squad in cover.

4. That Executioner costs 280pts. Drop Pask.

5. You do realize that if you take bastion breacher shells, they replace the normal blast, right? You don't get to choose which to use. It's usually not worth the trade - S10 ordnance cracks armor open easy enough without any help.

6. 40 guys in a 2000pt list? Good luck against Orks, IG, Tyranids etc.

Lord Anubis
11-06-2009, 01:08 AM
2. I don't know why you are implying DH codex rhinos are terrible - strictly according to the codex, elite inquisitors cannot take transports. However - if you use the Imperial Armor 2 re-write, you can take 35pt Rhinos for any inquisitor.

Ummmm... or just use Codex: Demonhunters, where it says any Inquisitor with a retinue may take a transport. One of many transports, in fact.

The Rhinos are overpriced compared to most of the other books, yes. But the potential for a seven Land Raider army is kind of cool... ;)

bonedale
11-06-2009, 08:34 AM
Inquisitors can take Valkyries as transports from Forgeworld. That would be fun with your list. But as was said, they suck unless they sit and shoot with psy and 2 heavy bolters. My current fav based strictly on looks is the Ordo Mallus Razorback. He can take that and it gives him an extra psycannon twin-linked, that makes a shooty inquisitor squad a serious issue.

So the Vendettas can deep strike GKs? I need to do some morning reading. This sounds very interesting. Do they scatter at all if it moves normally? Trying to see the benefit beside the cool factor.

Polaris
11-06-2009, 08:40 AM
You do realize that if you take bastion breacher shells, they replace the normal blast, right? You don't get to choose which to use. It's usually not worth the trade - S10 ordnance cracks armor open easy enough without any help.

Can you show me in the codex where it says I cant take both? I am new to IG so I might have missed that.

40 guys in a 2000pt list? Good luck against Orks, IG, Tyranids etc.

4 plasma cannon small blast templates, 2 large blast templates, 2 incinerators, 6 plama guns, 6 melta guns, 1 multi-melta, 24 storm bolter rounds, 6 twin linked lascannons, and a minimum of 24 lasgun rounds per turn? Hoard!?! Whats hoard? : )

Polaris
11-06-2009, 09:02 AM
So the Vendettas can deep strike GKs? I need to do some morning reading. This sounds very interesting. Do they scatter at all if it moves normally? Trying to see the benefit beside the cool factor.

You can, with all the same DS rules.

Vendettas can also " Scout " which gives them 1 free movement turn at the start of the game.

Vendettas can also " Outflank".

The options are endless : )

Polaris
11-06-2009, 10:04 AM
Updated!

I dropped the Executioner Leman Russ tank and 2 medusas. With the extra points I bought

2 demolisher tanks with plasma side sponsons

and additional infantry squad.

Chumbalaya
11-06-2009, 12:31 PM
Split the Demos, ditch plasma.

Chimeras should be turret multi-laser and hull flamer. Meltas > plasma.

GKTs > GKs.

Straken + GKs = fun.

Sam
11-06-2009, 01:59 PM
Can you show me in the codex where it says I cant take both? I am new to IG so I might have missed that.

p. 53 "A Medusa armed with bastion-breacher shells always fires using the following profile:"

And Chumbalaya is right, split the demolishers. It will increase their durability and allow them to fire at separate targets.

Polaris
11-06-2009, 02:42 PM
p. 53 "A Medusa armed with bastion-breacher shells always fires using the following profile:"

And Chumbalaya is right, split the demolishers. It will increase their durability and allow them to fire at separate targets.

Thanks for that clarification. Updated the list. Any other suggestions?

Polaris
11-06-2009, 02:44 PM
Split the Demos, ditch plasma.

Split the Demos. Why do you say I should ditch the plasma?

Chimeras should be turret multi-laser and hull flamer. Meltas > plasma.

GKTs > GKs.

Straken + GKs = fun.

Im not really sure what you mean here. Can you clarify this for me please?

Chumbalaya
11-06-2009, 03:55 PM
Split the Demos. Why do you say I should ditch the plasma?

Demos should keep moving, sponsons force you to be static.

Im not really sure what you mean here. Can you clarify this for me please?

Grey Knight Termies will do more damage than normal Grey Knights. If that isn't feasible, buffying the unit sizes would suffice.

Meltas are cheaper and more versatile than plasma guns.

Multi-laser turret has multiple high S shots to annoy light armor or stick wounds on units (2+ to wound most infantry) while the heavy flamer BBQs infantry. You'll rarely get to fire both, so building for versatility is handy.

Straken gives units furious charge. Grey Knights with S7 and I5 are hilarious.

SlavesToDarkness
11-06-2009, 07:43 PM
4 plasma cannon small blast templates, 2 large blast templates, 2 incinerators, 6 plama guns, 6 melta guns, 1 multi-melta, 24 storm bolter rounds, 6 twin linked lascannons, and a minimum of 24 lasgun rounds per turn? Hoard!?! Whats hoard? : )

If you think that's a lot, sorry, you're mistaken.

Does anyone know where I can find the rules to the inquisitorial Razorback??????

Polaris
11-06-2009, 09:55 PM
Demos should keep moving, sponsons force you to be static.

I thought the "Lumbering Behemoth" rules (page 48 IG codex) stated that we could move and fire all weapons?

Grey Knight Termies will do more damage than normal Grey Knights. If that isn't feasible, buffying the unit sizes would suffice.

Terminators, while AWESOME, dont fit into Vendettas : / I buffed the GK squads up a bit more though.

Meltas are cheaper and more versatile than plasma guns.

True, but plasma gets to rapid fire. I think I might play around with these still. Not quite sure yet.

Straken gives units furious charge. Grey Knights with S7 and I5 are hilarious.

Thats amazing. I will most certainly be trying that one out! Thanks for all the great advise!

If you think that's a lot, sorry, you're mistaken.

Im pretty sure that IS a lot. Are we looking at the same army list here?? You do realize that demolishers are 10/2 and that each infantry squad gets a demo charge thats an 8/2 large blast template that shoots FROM INSIDE a chimera?

Next time, offer some insight on why you say the things you do. The worst thing you can do is to make a pointless post and then ask a question thats completely irrelevant.

Does anyone know where I can find the rules to the inquisitorial Razorback??????

It does not exist in normal 40k scenarios. Perhaps it is in one of the "Imperial Armor" volumes from Forge World?

SlavesToDarkness
11-07-2009, 12:49 AM
I thought the "Lumbering Behemoth" rules (page 48 IG codex) stated that we could move and fire all weapons?

No. It only allows you to fire the turret weapon in addition to any weapons you would normally be allowed to fire.

Im pretty sure that IS a lot. Are we looking at the same army list here?? You do realize that demolishers are 10/2 and that each infantry squad gets a demo charge thats an 8/2 large blast template that shoots FROM INSIDE a chimera?

Next time, offer some insight on why you say the things you do. The worst thing you can do is to make a pointless post and then ask a question thats completely irrelevant.

Trust me, this is relevant. 2000pt Guard lists will sometimes have as many as 6 large templates coming from the heavy support alone. If you really thing 40 guys with a few demo charges will make a dent in a 2000pt ork army or a 2000pt Tyranid army then (this is from experience) you are wrong. Maybe Space Marines fear the demo charge (WHEN IT HITS, I might add) but ork boyz mobs do not.

I happen to play IG and, yes, I do know the profile of a demolisher cannon. Maybe someone who wants their list critiqued should be a little less defensive when someone else obliges.

If you ever think "I have enough firepower in this list" then you are not playing IG correctly.

DarkLink
11-07-2009, 02:55 AM
Unfortunately, you'll have to be careful about how you use the Grey Knights. Grey Knights need to be able to assault after shooting, they're too fragile to leave out in the open.

Don't deploy the Grey Knights after moving the Valkyries unless you really, really have to. Instead, turbo-boost/deepstrike the Valkyrie into position, then next turn let the Grey Knights walk out, and assault.

Sometimes, this won't be ideal, as a Valkyrie full of Grey Knights makes for a big target. But as I said, Grey Knights NEED to be able to assault after shooting. If only you could take a LR or two...

Polaris
11-07-2009, 09:15 AM
Maybe someone who wants their list critiqued should be a little less defensive when someone else obliges.

I wasn't trying to be defensive, my appolgies if thats how it was taken. I was hoping people would explain their critique a little more. Everything needs to be discussed/argued/picked apart. That how solid lists are built in my opinion.

It's not that I am trying to "power build" But I dont have the money to buy a ton of different units and see how they work. This here is kind of like my "play testing" if you will.

If you ever think "I have enough firepower in this list" then you are not playing IG correctly.

How would you change the list up then to reflect this?

Sometimes, this won't be ideal, as a Valkyrie full of Grey Knights makes for a big target. But as I said, Grey Knights NEED to be able to assault after shooting. If only you could take a LR or two...

True, the Valk will be a big target, but if it moves flat out it gets a nice cover save : )

Since the valk can deepstrike/outflank/scout I think I will be able to hit my target before anything really bad happens.

SlavesToDarkness
11-07-2009, 10:53 PM
I wasn't trying to be defensive, my appolgies if thats how it was taken. I was hoping people would explain their critique a little more. Everything needs to be discussed/argued/picked apart. That how solid lists are built in my opinion.

No problem. It would be better to do a few Grey Knights in skimmers, but then have large numbers of basic troops to back them up and take objectives.

Take double Medusas - that's good. But take double demolishers. Sub out vendettas for valkyries so you can use the rocket pods to crush orks.

DarkLink
11-07-2009, 11:30 PM
No problem. It would be better to do a few Grey Knights in skimmers, but then have large numbers of basic troops to back them up and take objectives.

Take double Medusas - that's good. But take double demolishers. Sub out vendettas for valkyries so you can use the rocket pods to crush orks.

Grey Knights with dual Incinerators do fine against orks. If this is a take-all comers list, I'd stick with Vendettas for the anti tank.

However, if you are willing to do mild changes between games with this list, then Valkyries are better against orks, so if you know you'll be facing them, take Valkyries.

Polaris
11-08-2009, 05:07 PM
It would be better to do a few Grey Knights in skimmers, but then have large numbers of basic troops to back them up and take objectives.

Agreed, thats why I added another troops choice.

Take double Medusas - that's good. But take double demolisher

How would you suggest I do this? I think I am at a disadvantage if I put them in squads. Perhaps only 1 medusa?

Grey Knights with dual Incinerators do fine against orks. If this is a take-all comers list, I'd stick with Vendettas for the anti tank.

I like the vendettas more also. I think the flamers will do fine for hoard. Perhaps I'll try to fit another tank in here some where. (as stated above)

However, if you are willing to do mild changes between games with this list, then Valkyries are better against orks, so if you know you'll be facing them, take Valkyries

If Bill Gates were my father, I'd have no problem doing this haha. Buying Vendettas AND Valks is a little out of my price range right now.

DarkLink
11-08-2009, 06:53 PM
If Bill Gates were my father, I'd have no problem doing this haha. Buying Vendettas AND Valks is a little out of my price range right now.

QFT. My group is cool enough to let me use my Godhammer Land Raiders as Land Raider Crusaders when I want too, though, so it's worth asking your opponent before the game.

Polaris
11-08-2009, 08:43 PM
I made some significant changes to the list. I also added some "fluff" for fun. Please tell me what you think!

DarkLink
11-08-2009, 10:39 PM
6 man Grey Knight squads are a little small. 8 with two Incinerators is where it's at, if you can fit that in and have the models. I would normally say get a second Incinerator in each squad, but with Stracken's boost you will probably be better off with the Nemesis Force weapons rather than extra Incinerators.

Polaris
11-09-2009, 01:00 AM
Stracken's boost you will probably be better off with the Nemesis Force weapons rather than extra Incinerat

My thoughts exactly.

The reason I took out the incinerators is to prevent me from roasting units TOO much before I get into assault. If I kill everything there will be nothing for me to charge at. GK are safest in assault where they can't be targeted by any big guns my opponent might have.

I might drop Marbo and thrown in 2 more GK's. Not sure yet.

bonedale
11-09-2009, 09:01 AM
First off, great list. We think alike.

Now to my real question. Regular GKs at first glance won't benefit from Counter Attack Straken rule. We all know when they assault they get a bonus attack, but loose their true grit. Then if assaulted, or in the second round if you will, they just get true grit, so for simplicity, PAGKs always get 2 attacks. However, counter attack lets a GK getting assaulted, get the bonus attack. So true grit and assault bonus apply. Am I correct here? Evil, just plain fun evil. Obviously it works with GK terms.

Suggestions:
Keep Marbo, talk about a fun model to play with. If you loose him, take a Callidus assassin.

Instead of incins, I would do nothing or Psycannons. Why Psycannons? You can destroy just about anything from the rear at 18" if you take two that is. Expensive but flexible in my experience. However, with all your meltas, you have anti-tank up the .. so I would do nothing to you GKs.

Maybe a regular Russ to replace one of the demos. Not many early threats in your list, and I think the range will help draw attention to it. Maybe easing pressure on the vendettas and demo?

Polaris
11-09-2009, 10:54 AM
First off, great list. We think alike.
Thanks!

Now to my real question. Regular GKs at first glance won't benefit from Counter Attack Straken rule. We all know when they assault they get a bonus attack, but loose their true grit. Then if assaulted, or in the second round if you will, they just get true grit, so for simplicity, PAGKs always get 2 attacks. However, counter attack lets a GK getting assaulted, get the bonus attack. So true grit and assault bonus apply. Am I correct here? Evil, just plain fun evil. Obviously it works with GK terms.

I think you are over complicating it haha. Grey Knights in power armor ALWAYS get true grit ( if they have a storm bolter/force weapon). Nothing can negate what the DH codex says. Straken gives the grey knight STR 7 and I 5 and counter assault all the time. If assaulting we get two attacks each. If being assaulted we take a leadership test, if PASSED we get 3 attacks. ( 2 for true grit, 1 from straken )

Hope that helps.

Keep Marbo, talk about a fun model to play with. If you loose him, take a Callidus assassin.

I plan on keeping him, he just looks like to much fun to pass up. I could not take the callidus assassin in this list. I only get 1 elite choice from the DH side : (

Instead of incins, I would do nothing or Psycannons.

While it is true that psycannons are awesome, I dont think they would help the list overall. Incinerators are very cheap, I can afford to put a few in my list. Psycannons, on the other hand, cost as much as a Grey Knight! My Gk squads need bodies to be effective, they die like normal space marines.

Furthermore, have you ever played with an incinerator? Those things are BRUTALLY effective.

Not many early threats in your list, and I think the range will help draw attention to it. Maybe easing pressure on the vendettas and demo?

Well, the Vendettas can scout ahead before the game starts. This could get me into assault range as early as turn 1. Plus, they have lascannons.

The medusa has some decent range (3 feet), plus, a tournament sized board is 6 x 4. That gives it a huge ability to deny area to my opponent.

bonedale
11-09-2009, 05:41 PM
As GK player, my fast, skimmer knowledge is seriously lacking.

So, Vendettas can infiltrate on deployment, move 12, spin around if needed, disembark within 2, and assault 6. Is that correct? If it is, that is sick and wrong, I love it. Def need a Tarot on the Inquis to try and go first.

For that Callidus, can't you just make her a WH Elite? As I read it, it works.

Polaris
11-10-2009, 02:21 PM
So, Vendettas can infiltrate on deployment, move 12, spin around if needed, disembark within 2, and assault 6. Is that correct? If it is, that is sick and wrong, I love it. Def need a Tarot on the Inquis to try and go first.

If the vendetta moved, the GK can not assault after they deploy from the vendetta, they can only shoot.

Duke
11-10-2009, 02:35 PM
As GK player, my fast, skimmer knowledge is seriously lacking.

For that Callidus, can't you just make her a WH Elite? As I read it, it works.

Everything up unitl the assault was right... pretty crazy. For them to assault they will either have to deploy and shoot then wait or stay in the transport and wait.

Duke

Polaris
11-10-2009, 11:20 PM
Everything up unitl the assault was right... pretty crazy. For them to assault they will either have to deploy and shoot then wait or stay in the transport and wait.

You have to be VERY careful not to disembark before you are ready to assault. In the turn it takes to gain the assault ability the enemy can easily run away and leave you in the open.

I think the best way to go about assaulting is create a vise of vendettas around the unit you wish to assault. This way the unit has no where to go and has to smash into a wall of grey knight.

DarkLink
11-11-2009, 12:00 AM
I think you are over complicating it haha. Grey Knights in power armor ALWAYS get true grit ( if they have a storm bolter/force weapon). Nothing can negate what the DH codex says. Straken gives the grey knight STR 7 and I 5 and counter assault all the time. If assaulting we get two attacks each. If being assaulted we take a leadership test, if PASSED we get 3 attacks. ( 2 for true grit, 1 from straken )

While it is true that psycannons are awesome, I dont think they would help the list overall. Incinerators are very cheap, I can afford to put a few in my list. Psycannons, on the other hand, cost as much as a Grey Knight! My Gk squads need bodies to be effective, they die like normal space marines.

Technically, he's right about true grit. It states that you get +1 A for having 2ccw, EXCEPT on the turn you charge. However, on the turn you charge, you get the charge bonus, so it works out the same.

Psycannons aren't worth it. 50pts for a couple Str6 shots, that you'll only use once, maybe twice, then be in assault the rest of the game? And you loose Str 6 and True Grit in the process? Yeah, I'll stick with two basic GK's instead.

That's not to say that psycannons are never worth it. But I used to play psycannons, and now use Incinerators. I've done both, and found that Incinerators work way better, in pretty much every case.

Polaris
11-11-2009, 09:21 AM
sycannons aren't worth it. 50pts for a couple Str6 shots, that you'll only use once, maybe twice, then be in assault the rest of the game? And you loose Str 6 and True Grit in the process? Yeah, I'll stick with two basic GK's instead.

I've done both, and found that Incinerators work way better, in pretty much every case.

I think Psycannons are very situational. In my "pure" GK army I have a psycannon squad that camps on my home objective. They always work out very well becuase they make up for my lack of medium range and strength weaponry.

Incinerators, on the other hand, are GREAT for assault, but lack any decent range.

It really just depends on what you need to get the job done.

SlavesToDarkness
11-11-2009, 11:21 PM
Squadding up Medusas is not really that bad. I know you don't have any mystics (now THAT'S deadly! Pair them with a Medusa squad!). It especially works if you can afford the closed top upgrade. People will fire on your other threats and ignore them - or will fire on them and wind up ignoring the Demolishers.

Polaris
11-13-2009, 03:07 PM
I know you don't have any mystics

Take a closer look at my Elite sections. ; )

It especially works if you can afford the closed top upgrade. People will fire on your other threats and ignore them - or will fire on them and wind up ignoring the Demolishers.

While putting them into squads might not be a terrible idea, it certainly is not something I would go for. I like being able to chose how many templates I put down and where. Put vehicles into squads limits my versatility in that sense.

I might take out all my tanks and replace them with 3 battle cannon leman russ tanks!

bonedale
11-14-2009, 10:23 PM
I tried my list out last night, and my medusa's (we went to 2500pts last minute so I added another Medusa and a Executioner. They decimated the front line troops on turn one, But in the return fire they both died. Needless to say they became priority after those templates. Their S10 didn't come into effect. And I wouldn't go after land raiders hoping for a 4+ dice roll. The vendetta took out a land raider. So I am going to try standard russes next time. Then I can reach to the predator annihilators, and devastators that wrecked my poor medusa.

Standard Russes will get my nod next game. I just didn't shoot any high armor or terms with the medusa, So I need the range instead. I was thinking of doing flanking Demos too.

SlavesToDarkness
11-14-2009, 11:45 PM
I tried my list out last night, and my medusa's (we went to 2500pts last minute so I added another Medusa and a Executioner. They decimated the front line troops on turn one, But in the return fire they both died. Needless to say they became priority after those templates. Their S10 didn't come into effect. And I wouldn't go after land raiders hoping for a 4+ dice roll. The vendetta took out a land raider. So I am going to try standard russes next time. Then I can reach to the predator annihilators, and devastators that wrecked my poor medusa.

Standard Russes will get my nod next game. I just didn't shoot any high armor or terms with the medusa, So I need the range instead. I was thinking of doing flanking Demos too.

I would not advise that. Try the same list more than just one time before giving up on it. Just because they exploded right away is no reason to give up on it. Use the same list a bunch of times before making a decision about it.

That being said, remember: Medusa cannons are ordnance, you can roll 2D6 and pick the highest for armor penetration. Bye-bye Land Raider.

Polaris
11-15-2009, 12:50 AM
I was thinking of doing flanking Demos too.

I wouldn't do flanking demos. I want my tanks shelling the enemy from turn 1. If anything, use creed to give them the "scout" ability so they can get into range faster.

That being said, remember: Medusa cannons are ordnance, you can roll 2D6 and pick the highest for armor penetration. Bye-bye Land Raider

I believe the Leman russ and leman russ demolisher are ordinance as well. I like there survivability too. Plus, when you REALLY need a land raider gone, just point your 9 twin linked lascannons at it : )

tallyrand
11-15-2009, 01:58 AM
If you want to run an assassin, you can bump your Inquisitor up to an HQ, freeing up that slot.

Also, while it is usually good wisdom to not squad up your Demolishers, if you are facing a Deep Strike heavy force, being able to unleash the squad's full fury via the Inquisitor & Mystics on each of his Drop Pods, or whatever could make up for slight ding the tanks take to survivability for being in a squad.

If you really want to wreck a Pod Droppin army's day, take an Inquisitor +2 Mystics as both an HQ and Elite, and deploy them 12" out flanking on either side of a Russ squad, this will provide some real active denial of a large portion of the board. Remember the Inquisitor and Mystics don't need LOS to the Dropping squads for this to work.

Polaris
11-15-2009, 10:54 AM
If you really want to wreck a Pod Droppin army's day, take an Inquisitor +2 Mystics as both an HQ and Elite

I like the idea, and I use 2 inquisitors in my pure deamonhunters army. I just dont have the points for him in this list. I have a problem taking out units that can kill things for a unit that MIGHT help me IF i face a drop pod heavy army.

tallyrand
11-15-2009, 11:23 AM
Oh, I admit that it's pretty situational, but the day you are able to fire your same Russ squad several times during your opponent's first turn as his pods come down will live in infamy.

Possibly as the day you were taken around the back and worked over with a baseball bat.

Polaris
11-15-2009, 03:10 PM
Oh, I admit that it's pretty situational, but the day you are able to fire your same Russ squad several times during your opponent's first turn as his pods come down will live in infamy.

Possibly as the day you were taken around the back and worked over with a baseball bat.

Two very, very true statements hahaha ;)

bonedale
11-17-2009, 10:28 AM
I think the list is pretty refined. My only suggestion would be to change a Demo to a standard Russ. It will give you long range, maybe even park it in front of the medusa. Then the Demo can move forward and get into the fight. The Medusa can hang within 6" of the Inquisitor.

I found I lacked long range AP 3+ and it hurt me. Primarily devastator squads. People seem to dis the standard Russ, but I think it is a great compliment to the Vendettas.

Vendettas rock at anti-tank obviously. They are just plain cool and fit the elite Inquisitorial theme so well.

mkerr
11-17-2009, 02:02 PM
Please review this, don't be afraid to be mean. I want to you to exploit EVERY weakness you see in my list.

I think we can do that without being mean, lol.

1. A LD8 Psychic Hood isn't worth 20pts. You really need an Inquisitor Lord if you want to take a Psychic Hood.

2. I wouldn't put Meltabombs on your Justicars. They shouldn't be chasing AV14 rear armor vehicles and against everything else their S6 weapons will be better.

3. I don't see the utility of the 3 Sniper Rifles. You'd be better off with a shooty Inquisitorial retinue (nd a heavy weapon squad for scoring)

4. You've got a ton of meltaguns, so you might be better off with Valkyries over Vendettas -- especially since the new Tyranid codex is right around the corner.

Polaris
11-18-2009, 07:01 AM
1. A LD8 Psychic Hood isn't worth 20pts. You really need an Inquisitor Lord if you want to take a Psychic Hood.

I forgot to update my list reflecting a few changes I had made. I switched out the demolishers and medusa for 3 regular leman russ tanks. I also added 2 heriophants to my inquisitor to boost his LD.

My bad! :D

2. I wouldn't put Meltabombs on your Justicars. They shouldn't be chasing AV14 rear armor vehicles and against everything else their S6 weapons will be better.

The melta bombs are more as a defense then an offense. I don't plan on hitting anything but infantry with these guys........But I'll sure use them to get rid of any pesky deadnoughts that come my way.

3. I don't see the utility of the 3 Sniper Rifles. You'd be better off with a shooty Inquisitorial retinue (nd a heavy weapon squad for scoring)

If i had the points I would have both of these units. I needed an effective unit to hold objectives that can reach out and touch other units. I feel these guys do a good job of that. I might throw in Gunnery sergent harker to add some fire-power/cover saves.

4. You've got a ton of meltaguns, so you might be better off with Valkyries over Vendettas -- especially since the new Tyranid codex is right around the corner.

I think 3 leman russ tanks can hold down the fort here.... I also might eat my words later haha. I'll be sure to play test this and see how it works. I dont want to gear out for one specific army to much.

Polaris
11-18-2009, 12:31 PM
Made some big changes.

New list

HQ

Yarrick

(attached to grey knight squad)

Elites

Marbo

Inquisitor w/ psychic hood
x2 mystic
x hierophant
Multimelta servitor

Fast attack

x 2 Vendetta

Troops

Grey Knight Squad
Grey knights x 6

Grey Knight Squad
Grey knights x 6

Veteran Squad
Melta x 3
Chimera

Veteran Squad
Melta x 3
Chimera

Veteran Squad
Melta x 3
Chimera

Veteran squad
Sergeant Harker
Sniper veterans x 3
Missile Launcher
Chimera

Heavy
Leman Russ /w lascannon
Leman Russ /w lascannon
Leman Russ /w lascannon

66 bodies
4 chimeras
3 leman russ tanks
2 vendettas

I think this is a substantial improvement over my old list. I buffed up the GK squads and attached Yarrick to one of them. These units are going to be absolutely brutal.

I got rid of the demo charges on the Melta squads.

Added Harker to the vet squad that will camp on my home objective. He helps the squad IMMENSELY.

By taking out upgrades I didnt need and switch out some units, I believe I have an effective blend of elements.

tallyrand
11-18-2009, 02:55 PM
I believe that a Chimera has 5 fire points, so if you have the points, no reason not to get the 3rd melta for your vet squads.

Polaris
11-18-2009, 03:47 PM
I believe that a Chimera has 5 fire points, so if you have the points, no reason not to get the 3rd melta for your vet squads.

Aye! Im used to looking over the DH codes haha. Adjusted the list to reflect the change.

bonedale
11-19-2009, 01:44 PM
First, it's painful to see Straken go. GKs are good, but don't last long. Furious Charge and Counter really help.

Check this, but it might be cheaper to have your Inquisitor a HQ lord. Then leadership 10 is free, and you can build the unit up to have psycannon, 2 heavy bolters and either plasma cannon or mm. Right now the unit has a purpose, but could be a lot more effective, but it's another 100pts or so. Worth dropping a russ for? Not sure. But they will be at least BS4. A nice touch for DH servitors. Drop them in cover and ouch.

DarkLink
11-19-2009, 02:26 PM
Doubt it's worth it. The ld10 might be free, but the Lord is 20pts more than an elite inquisitor, so you're still paying more. Plus, and elite inquisitor can still take a retinue with guns in it. He can just give the current Inquisitor a psycannon and take two more gun servitors.

vutall
11-19-2009, 03:49 PM
Forgive me if I am wrong, but melta bombs as a defensive tactic isn't so sound because as I was told at a tourny not to long ago, walkers require you to roll 6's to hit with melta bombs, regardless of weapon skill. And you only get one shot a turn with it.

Stupid rule locked my Terminators in close combat with an Ironclad for an entire game.