PDA

View Full Version : Apothecaries for all ;)

Joeker
11-07-2009, 11:01 PM
Yay! Well, one step closer anyway.

http://www.cnn.com/2009/POLITICS/11/07/health.care/index.html

tallyrand
11-07-2009, 11:13 PM
Well, he used a gaming reference, so it must be appropriate and on topic, right?

DarkLink
11-08-2009, 12:33 AM
Yeah, this should probably be in one of the subforums for non-40k stuff.

All I have to say is that the sort of healthcare reform that would actually do America good doesn't cost nearly a trillion dollars to implement.

http://www.dilbert.com/blog/entry/healthcare/

Turns out Scott Adams, the guy who writes Dilbert, is pretty smart (and a member of MENSA). Not an expert, but I like this article in his blog.

For a better informed opinion on healthcare reform: http://www.investors.com/NewsAndAnalysis/Article.aspx?id=510506&Ntt=sowell

I'll also point out that, ironically enough, opinion polls for Obama's presidencey have the majority of Americans disapproving of how he is dealing with the economy and health care reform, while approving of how he has handled the wars, though I got that info from somewhere on Wikipedia, and I'm too lazy to dig up the link.

entendre_entendre
11-08-2009, 12:57 AM
i love this part:

Republicans in the chamber stood across the floor, some with their arms folded.

it's so serious. i find it amusing how seriously Americans (seem to) take the actions of their senators (i use the "YOU LIE!!!" incident as an example). Obviously they've never seen a session of parliament. Coming from Canada, some of our House of Commons sessions are just yelling matches held together by a veil of civility (and i'm not even touching South Korea's parliament...). i just find this amusing, and i'm sure i'm not alone in this feeling. i guess we're just used to outbursts and our MP's with "their arms folded". :rolleyes:

i believe Robin Williams said it best; "...they have parliament. It's like the Congress, but with a two drink minimum." QFT

BuFFo
11-08-2009, 01:12 AM
i love this part:

it's so serious. i find it amusing how seriously Americans (seem to) take the actions of their senators (i use the "YOU LIE!!!" incident as an example). Obviously they've never seen a session of parliament. Coming from Canada, some of our House of Commons sessions are just yelling matches held together by a veil of civility (and i'm not even touching South Korea's parliament...). i just find this amusing, and i'm sure i'm not alone in this feeling. i guess we're just used to outbursts and our MP's with "their arms folded". :rolleyes:

i believe Robin Williams said it best; "...they have parliament. It's like the Congress, but with a two drink minimum." QFT

You're wrong. Americans couldn't care less.

Its the Media, and the Media is international.

entendre_entendre
11-08-2009, 02:35 AM
You're wrong. Americans couldn't care less.

Its the Media, and the Media is international.

what? since when does the media not represent the people?
what? the twenties?...
oh... i blame Edward Bernays. (yay scapegoats!)

Aldramelech
11-08-2009, 03:31 AM
Thank god for the welfare state!

Denzark
11-08-2009, 07:53 AM
Hussah for the Queen!

oni
11-08-2009, 08:12 AM
what? since when does the media not represent the people?
what? the twenties?...
oh... i blame Edward Bernays. (yay scapegoats!)

The media in America hasn't represented "the people" as you put it for a very long time. News media here in the states has become more about profit generation via advertising due to large viewer ratings that come from deliberate misinterpretation and hyped subject matter. The Media's sole interest is to capitalise on the drama they create. The Media here in the states no longer researches their information, rather jump to conclusions, make a huge deal about something and then if they turn out to be wrong... issue a retraction statement. This is not only wrong, but leads to misinformed people as most will watch the hyped report, but see or hear nothing about the retraction. It's dangerously close to controlled information.

I pay nearly $12,000.00 in taxes every year. That is an absolutely disgusting number once you look at it. $12,000.00... TWELVE THOUSAND DOLLARS! Not one thousand two hundred... TWELVE THOUSAND DOLLARS. And that number will dramatically increase if socialized health care is passed. Why should I work to pay for health care for all the lazy ***** who either don't work or who don't care to succeed in life?

There's a growing cancer here in America and things are going to get extremely bad.

eldargal
11-08-2009, 08:27 AM
The great irony (or tragedy) is that the American health system, such as it is, is already one of the most expensive in the world. The French system, widely regarded as the best, costs just above half what the American system already does. I'm not going to make any comments on the politics of this issue, as that a domestic American thing.

But honestly, this thread should so not be here.

I pay nearly $12,000.00 in taxes every year. That is an absolutely disgusting number once you look at it. $12,000.00... TWELVE THOUSAND DOLLARS! Not one thousand two hundred... TWELVE THOUSAND DOLLARS. And that number will dramatically increase if socialized health care is passed. Why should I work to pay for health care for all the lazy ***** who either don't work or who don't care to succeed in life?

There's a growing cancer here in America and things are going to get extremely bad.

DarkLink
11-08-2009, 01:46 PM
The great irony (or tragedy) is that the American health system, such as it is, is already one of the most expensive in the world. The French system, widely regarded as the best, costs just above half what the American system already does. I'm not going to make any comments on the politics of this issue, as that a domestic American thing.

Well, cost is really the big problem with the American health care system. It is really a good system in terms of care provided*, it is just very expensive. This new health care bill probably won't make the system better, but it sure as heck will make it a whole lot more expensive.

*of course, it doesn't help that America is known as a fast food nation. You can have the best doctor in the world, but if you have McDonalds for lunch every day, there's nothing that doctor can really do to keep you from having an early heart attack, except tell you to stop eating fast food.

On the other hand, all those morbidly obese Americans are the least likely to die of things like cancer. Americans have the easiest access to the best medical technology in the world. That won't save us from unhealthy lifestyles, though.

Ultimately, what is really the issue isn't our healthcare system itself, though I won't say it can't be improved. Americans just need to live a healthier lifestyle (meaning less fast food and more fruits, veggies and lean meats), and we need to figure out how to cut healthcare costs.

Neither of these two problems will be achived by spending an extra TRILLION dollars on healthcare, and most Americans realize this. That's why healthcare is such a big issue right now (in America), because of its cost and the legislations and debate happening over it.

oni
11-08-2009, 09:10 PM

You need to do some serious research about the French health care system before you make a statement like that. I suggest you read this and reconsider your comment. Pay particularly close attention to the part that starts "The problem is that Assurance Maladie has been in the red since 1989."

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB124958049241511735.html

I'm going to bite my tongue on further comments, as I have VERY STRONG opinions when it comes to these matters and this thread indeed does not belong here.

CAN A MOD PLEASE DELETE THIS ENTIRE THREAD?!

Bigred
11-08-2009, 09:56 PM
Not 40K and Politics to boot....

A double whammy...

Locked and off to the Oubliette for this one.