PDA

View Full Version : Space Marines 500pts

Shas'O D'Narb
11-08-2009, 12:22 AM
At the local club, for little games, we use the Combat Patrols rules but with 500 points. I'm fairly new to the game, particuarly with SMs, but I recently bought a few more boxes of marine stuff so I can run something other than Tau for the 500pt tournaments in town. I'm interested to see what people think, re: strengths and weakness, considering the tournament armies can't have better than 6 toughness, 2 wounds, 3+ save, or 33 total AV on vehicles. HQ are 0-1 and Troops are 1+.

TACTICAL TEAM (Combat Squads)
- 1 Razorback w/twin-linked heavy bolter
Assault Squad:
- 1 Sergeant w/power sword
- 1 Marine w/flamer
- 3 Marines w/bolters
Support Squad:
- 1 Marine w/missile launcher
- 4 Marines w/bolters

DEVASTATOR SQUAD
- 1 Sergeant w/chainsword, signum
- 2 Marines w/missile launchers
- 2 Marines w/bolters

WHIRLWIND ARTILLERY
- 1 Whirlwind, basic

LAND SPEEDER FAV
- 1 Speeder, heavy flamer, multimelta

mstingray
11-08-2009, 06:57 AM
I don't play combat patrol that often, but looks like a solid list considering the restrictions. I would be tempted to drop the whirlwind as I've found they don't do that much damage against anything but orks.

Rapture
11-08-2009, 09:00 AM
It will be hard to do damage with the whirlwind but I also don't think that the enemy will have enough forces to justify sending something after it. It will be interesting to see how it works out.

Ivarr
11-08-2009, 09:46 AM
We play a lot of smallish games here also. That seems like it will be a very solid list...though as Rapture said, with the small forces, it is likely that when the whirlwind template drifts it will not hit much...I might opt for a second speeder.

Shas'O D'Narb
11-08-2009, 05:12 PM
Aye, thanks for the feedback. What I'll do is try out the whirlwind for a half dozen matches and then try out a 2nd speeder for some. Admittedly, I also get the impression that the Whirlwind points could be better spent elsewhere. That said, its inclusion was a reactionary choice: my friend runs two dark lance squads and I needed something to punish them hiding in cover.

pgarfunkle
11-08-2009, 07:20 PM
Hate to follow the crowd but I agree about the whirlwind too. To deal with units in cover you could try the somewhat risk manoeuvre of deep striking land speeders with heavy flamers near to them. Like I said risky but when you pull it of so much fun :)

ForeverHero
11-14-2009, 09:11 PM
I'll go against the flow and say that I like the Whirlwind because they can be effective and there is a chance that the speeder could be taken out before it does anything. At least with a WW, it can sit behind cover and distract the your opponent and if there a horde army, take some out.