PDA

View Full Version : 1500, 'non-cheese', I.G. Mech Force

Tombworld
11-09-2009, 01:48 PM
Hi All!
I want to take my Imperial Guard into battle! I love collecting and painting, but haven't played for a long time, certainly not with 5th ed and the new IG codex.
What I'm looking for is a solid, 'take-on-all-comers' kinda list.I have two ideas for lists; please lemme know which you think is more competitive! Any advice or feedback is very welcome. Notes on the lists:

Both come to exactly 1500 points.
Neither are static gun lines...that's too dull a tactic, hence the lists force movement to be made.
I'm going on the assumption that Chimeras can provide almost all the mid-strength fire power with their multi-lasers and possibly Heavy bolters.

List one: 'Tread-Heavy'

Heavy Support:
Leman Russ Eradicator
Leman Russ Demolisher
Leman Russ Demolisher
(The Demolishers rumble along, absorbing fire-power, and taking down...well, anything in range! The eradicator supplies a slightly longer range and cover-negating blast to take care of troops that try to negate the demolishers power by hiding in cover)

Fast Attack:
Vendetta
Vendetta
(Long range, heavy hitting and accurate fire-power for the popping of transports, dreadnaughts, termies and the like that may be out of range of the demolishers. Although they're intended primarily as gunships, they could also come in handy as transports for last-minute objective grabs.)

Troops:
Veterans W/Chimera (Hull H.Flamer, Hull Multi-Las), 3xMelta Guns
Veteran W/Chimera (Hull H.Flamer, Turret Multi-las), 3xMelta Guns
Veterans W/Chimera (Hull H.Flamer, Turret H.Flamer), Shotguns, 2xMelta Guns
Veterans W/Chimera (Hull H.Flamer, Turret Multi-Las), 2xPlasma Guns
(All are chimera mobile, and the vehicles provide a lot of mid-strength firepower. They have flamers for hordes or in-cover enemies, and Melta Guns and plasma Guns...well, you know what they do, right? :)

H.Q.:
CCS W/Chimera (Hull H.Bolter, Turret M.Las) Master of the Fleet, Grenade Launcher
(A bit of a gooseberry. Will hopefully sit back and let the chimera provide anti infantry/horde busting fire power, but there weren't many points left to do much with the HQ. could mebbe lose the MotF...)

ListTwo: 'Cans and mans':

H.Q:
CCS W/Chimera (Hull Heavy Bolter, Turret Multi-Laser), Medic, Master-of-the-fleet (Or Astropath to help my elite choice), 3xPlasma Guns.
CCS W/Chimera (Hull HB, Turret ML), Medic, 3xPlasma Guns.
(These guys sit a bit back and fire at heavy infantry, maybe transports, and High Toughness/low save targets of choice)

PCS W/Chimera (Hull Heavy Flamer, Turret ML), 4xMelta Guns
Infantry Squad W/Chimera (Hull and Turret HF), flamer
Infantry Squad W/Chimera (Hull and Turret HF), flamer
(The PCS are a suicidal bundle of death, the troops are anti-hoard/dig-the-bad-guys-out-of-cover strike teams)

Veterans W/Chimera (Hull HF Turret ML), 3xMelta Guns
Veterans W/Chimera (Hull HF Turret ML), 3xMelta Guns
(They’re here for the drive-by-of-doom tactic)
Veterans W/Harker, 3xGrenade Launchers, Shotguns
(To spit out some mobile, deployable anti-horde/light infantry fire power)

Fast Attack:
Vendetta
Vendetta
(Long-range, accurate and mobile support, targeting dreads, transports and the like. May also be used as transports if any chimeras are taken out of Harker’s lads need to be moved)

Elite:
Le Soldiat Marbeau
(Yeah, it’s Marbo, and he’s trying to fool everyone with a beret for a disguise and a phoney accent. Prat)

Any advice or feedback welcome!

Chumbalaya
11-09-2009, 03:46 PM
I prefer the first for it's killy Russes.

3 Vets squads would be sufficient I think, you can include allied ISTs to stick in your Vendettas and make them scoring. A pair of Devil Dogs would give you some mobile firepower to bust tanks or infantry.

Always give your Chimeras heavy flamers and multi-lasers. The ML can threaten light armor and provide medium S power at range, while the flamer is better once you get up close. Since you'll be moving all the time (don't want to get auto-hit in CC) you can only fire one anyway.

If you put flamers on everything and bring DDs or Hellhounds, the Eradicator becomes redundant (still awesome though). A Manticore might give you a little more bang for your buck.

Go for an Astro over the Fleet Officer. Against an army like yours, people are more inclined to go into reserves and try to avoid getting shot up. With a Fleet Officer you keep them off the table longer (less time to kill them) and make their arrival more reliable. They'll show up later and in larger groups so they can more effectively counter attack and cripple you. An Astropath helps when you want to go into reserve (up against another mech army, IG gunline, Tau, or Drop Pods/Daemons).

Tombworld
11-11-2009, 11:31 AM
Ok, I took what you said on board. I do love those Devil Dawgs. I worked out a list to incorporate two of 'em. In this list, Everything is designed to be very dangerous, making it really tough for the enemy to know what to shoot at. There's lots of armour, and lots of unit-mirroring to mean that if one of the units is taken out, its brother can get the job done. There's lots of melta since I expect to face marines often. All chimeras have Hull H.Flamer, Turret Multi-laser BTW.

Fast Attack:
Valkyrie W/Rocket Pods (Or Vendetta)
Devil Dog W/Multi-Melta
Devil Dog W/Muti-Melta = 400
Well, The Devil Dogs have that relatively cheap multi-melta hull weapon to ensure maximum hard-armour killy-ness. With that blast template, they can also worry termies and other heavy infantry squads. The Valkyrie is in there for mass horde-busting with its Rocket pods. The Valk could always be outfitted as a Vendetta, though I have loads of anti-tank ability elsewhere

Heavy Support:
Demolisher,
Demolisher = 730
Well, they advance and shoot at anything they like. They'll probably hurt it! :)

H.Q.
Company Command Squad W/Chimera, 3xPlasma Guns, Medic = 910
I like making my HQ be useful. After all, they're the leaders; I don't like just having a token HQ, I want them to make a difference. This is a fairly expensive, but very effective load-out I feel.
Troops:
Veteran Squad W/3xMelta Guns, Chimera
Veteran Squad W/3xMelta Guns, Chimera
Veteran Squad W/Harker, 3xGrenade launchers, Shotguns
Veteran Squad W/Chimera, 3xGrenade Launchers, shotguns = 1500
Is four troops choices enough? The Melta Guns are there to scare big things, and back up the Deil Dogs and Demolishers. The other two squads are there to work as a team, ideally pouring on so much anti-infantry fire-power as to splatter hordes or force dozens of rolls on tougher enemies.

Lemme know if y'all reckon this needs anything. An extra troop choice, I'll ditch the Valk. More anti-horde, I'll swap out a Devil Dog for a Valk. More anti-armour...well, you must really hate armour!;)

Chumbalaya
11-11-2009, 01:14 PM
I'd go for heavy flamers on your Dawgs for flexibility. Harker is eh, an infantry platoon works better. 4 Troops are ok.

SlavesToDarkness
11-11-2009, 11:18 PM
I think this is pretty strong - but I would go with flamers not grenade launchers. 2 x Flamer + Heavy Flamer if possible.

How much is Harker? Don't have my book with me. Maybe kick him to the curb and take a couple Demolitions upgrades on your vets? Love those meltabombs and Demo Charges.

Tombworld
11-12-2009, 12:50 AM
Well, Harker costs the same as a chimera. I thought he might be fun to take, as he'd allow a unique deployment option, and add a little variety to a can-heavy list. Alas, I can't replace him with an infantry squad, I don't have the points for a minimum sized platoon. I could, obviously, swap Harkey boy for a chimera, and stick a heavy bolter on that instead...

As for the flamers, well...yeah, ok! Why not huh? I could give 'em a go, they'd compliment the shotguns well too.Everyone usually goes on about how it's a waste of BS4. I could give both loadouts a try easily, and see what I like.

As for a few demo charges, it'd be nice to put 'em in there, but I dunno if I can juggle the points. I think the list is pretty 'tight', dropping a plasma gun here and a melta gun there for the spare points could make some of the units less effective. I also really wanted to include marbo (I converted a great model for him), but I think this list could well be 'locked in' I could ditch the multi-meltas, but I wouldn't know what to do with the points!

Thatnks for the advice and feedback, and more is still welcome!