PDA

View Full Version : too mukak or not to mumak

Majorcrash
11-09-2009, 03:22 PM
I have been running a mordor orc army, which includes a mumak as an ally. In the last tourney it performed spectacularly or did nothing. Of my four opponents only two were evil armys and the mumak ground the first one into the dust, the second simply avoided combat. Against a galadrim elf army it lasted three turn before it was pincushioned. And versus a dwarf / army of the dead combo the artillery killed it pretty quick. So as my opponents know I have one and its a large part of my army I am considering swapping with a unit of cataphracts.

Lux
11-09-2009, 06:10 PM
Based upon your post, those opponents who have a lot of shooting tend to kill it. Against those who don't, it does well. What other big scary units do you have in your army? Are people shooting the mumak but leaving other units alone? If you dropped the mumak for cataphracts would your opponents simply switch fire to the cataphracts? Remember, a unit that dies can still serve a purpose in dying if it's death leaves the rest of your force free to wreak havoc.

Lux

Majorcrash
11-10-2009, 09:45 PM
Well thats true, that in dying it keeps my other units healthy. But I have notice that legolas or his dad thrunduil can take out a mumak in two turns with little or no luck. Yet a formation of moranon orc 4+ companys strong cost less and get to fight. The other issue is artillery is very powerful in WOR. I have tried to negate this a little by gringing my own. Still dwarf bolt throwers wack a mumak in short order too.
I also had trouble with terrain. Big clump of terrain made it hard to manuver the mumak, an although it can stomp over most there is invaribly some building or stand of trees i have to go around. I am going to make a few changes to my 2k list and I believe I will let go the mumak. Any oppinon on the shadow lord as far as compared to Kamuhl

El_Davo
12-27-2009, 02:33 AM
what happens if you just spam mumaks? instead of trying to kill 1 how bout trying to kill 4 or 5? i'm mean mumaks are cheap right? 250 for one right? cant shoot them all down can you?

Majorcrash
12-27-2009, 09:46 AM
well my only issues is two fold, one that would make it a more haradrim fluff army as opposed to just being an ally. Second GW wants two armes and a leg for their mumaks!

Cryl
12-27-2009, 09:58 AM
Personally I'd drop the Mumak. They're too hit / miss for my liking, what you say about getting four plus companies of Morannon Orcs in place of the Mumak seals the deal for me. Morannon Orcs are one of the best infantry blocks in the game imo, no contest with the Mumak.

Majorcrash
12-27-2009, 11:55 PM
against new opponents it great for shock factor but your right. I still have trouble using my warg riders, they just dont seem to do anything right. they suck as lt cav, arnt good for killing arty, when used as a mobile archers they dont do that well either. what they do best is sit in my minature case!:p

Infinite Freedom
01-08-2012, 03:32 AM
Way I see it, that Mumak is serving two purposes: Mass Damage and Bullet Magnet. As long as that thing is around, it's going to be targeted above all other things in your army. If it sticks around long enough it should keep your opponent distracted from your other units.