10 GH, PF, MGx2, Mark of Wulfen, Drop Pod - 230
10 GH, PF, MGx2, Mark of Wulfen, Rhino - 230

Fenrisian wolf pack, 13 wolves/cyberwolf upgrade - 112
Fenrisian wolf pack, 13 wolves/cyberwolf upgrade - 112

Thunderwolf Calvary x5 - 395
3 storm shields
TH
Pfist

Keep in mind with canis all fenrisian wolves are I5. Its also Ideal to help my lone wolves take on remnants of squads, etc. The idea is to pressure hard on turn 2 and hope scouts roll that 3+ when they arrive. Not sure what to arm the scouts with, either PP or PW. thanks for the imput!

Chumbalaya
11-09-2009, 10:25 PM
1 Rhino and 1 Pod are not enough armor.

TWC unit is too big, Wolf Lord costs as much as a unit of TWC, you have no way to bust armor beyond running up and hitting it.

Rune Priest, Long Fangs, more mech units (Preds, GH in Rhinos, Speeders, Dreads) and the like would help significantly.

crazyzombie
11-09-2009, 10:34 PM
This is a good list but it lacks troops. In my expirence while haveing maxium super units looks scary, it lacks strengh in 2/3 missions. Sure you might whittle an oppnent down to a tac squad, but that won't matter if that tac squad is on an Obj. and your grey hunters are dead. Think of it this way if you concetrates everything he has on you TW calvery your golden, but if he elimenates 1 of your grey hunter squads you can's score a major victory in most tournaments obj games(if you don't massacer). I'm not saying it isn't possible, but after running a "superVulkan list" in a multi week Tourny I figured out their isn't much room for error. And that means your going to have to keep up good dice rolls because bad luck=error.

Earthen
11-10-2009, 02:13 AM
"crazyzombie This is a good list but it lacks troops. In my expirence while haveing maxium super units looks scary, it lacks strengh in 2/3 missions. Sure you might whittle an oppnent down to a tac squad, but that won't matter if that tac squad is on an Obj. and your grey hunters are dead. Think of it this way if you concetrates everything he has on you TW calvery your golden, but if he elimenates 1 of your grey hunter squads you can's score a major victory in most tournaments obj games(if you don't massacer). I'm not saying it isn't possible, but after running a "superVulkan list" in a multi week Tourny I figured out their isn't much room for error. And that means your going to have to keep up good dice rolls because bad luck=error.
Yesterday 11:25 PM"

Ah, see, i come from playing a variety of vulkan lists and definitely got used to running 2 tacticals in tourneys. Definitely have to be careful though. And throwing one GH squad in a pod is going to reduce their life expectancy significantly. good points all. thanks for the feedback Crazyzombie.

Chumbalaya 1 Rhino and 1 Pod are not enough armor.

TWC unit is too big, Wolf Lord costs as much as a unit of TWC, you have no way to bust armor beyond running up and hitting it.

Rune Priest, Long Fangs, more mech units (Preds, GH in Rhinos, Speeders, Dreads) and the like would help significantly.

First off id like to say that ive seen you around the forum alot, and find your advice to be very, very solid.

Hopefully you dont mind me picking our brain a bit.

While the list is low on armor, do you think that the Twolves will attract much AT fire?

why do you prefer the small, 3 Twolf /w PF builds over decked out builds with stormshields/etc? are they able to effectively handle greater demons? I guess i didnt realize they were effective in groups that small.

Rune Priest - agreed. Very useful, almost autowin against nurgle, psy defense critical for lash builds/eldar/etc. On the other hand - the list is quick enough (and able enough to smack MCs around) that lash shouldnt be able to dominate the game - right?

I can bust some armor with scouts/Mbombs, lone wolves, and grey hunters, although i think bringing aboard another squad of GH's with twin melta or some AT longfangs would be a smart choice.

Speeders and dreads... ah... Play a vulkan army generally. completely sick of melta mounted on speeders and dreads. hahaha.

thanks for the feedback Chumbalaya.

Chumbalaya
11-10-2009, 06:37 AM
First off id like to say that ive seen you around the forum alot, and find your advice to be very, very solid.

Hopefully you dont mind me picking our brain a bit.

While the list is low on armor, do you think that the Twolves will attract much AT fire?

why do you prefer the small, 3 Twolf /w PF builds over decked out builds with stormshields/etc? are they able to effectively handle greater demons? I guess i didnt realize they were effective in groups that small.

Rune Priest - agreed. Very useful, almost autowin against nurgle, psy defense critical for lash builds/eldar/etc. On the other hand - the list is quick enough (and able enough to smack MCs around) that lash shouldnt be able to dominate the game - right?

I can bust some armor with scouts/Mbombs, lone wolves, and grey hunters, although i think bringing aboard another squad of GH's with twin melta or some AT longfangs would be a smart choice.

Speeders and dreads... ah... Play a vulkan army generally. completely sick of melta mounted on speeders and dreads. hahaha.

thanks for the feedback Chumbalaya.

Well, thanks, no problem.

TWolves will attract fire, but most likely a different kind of fire than gets sent your Rhino's way. It's either gonna be high S stuff like Demolisher Cannons or medium S, high RoF weapons like autocannons (still wounds them on a 2+, plenty of shots). The thing it, the Rhino doesn't really require much firepower to bring down, and then you've got 10 marines high and dry. 10 marines, even in cover, are not difficult to kill if somebody really wants to.

I prefer more smaller units for the flexibility. Running 5 TWC into a Tactical Squad is overkill, I like having the option of running them in together to get more powerful baddies or splitting them up to go for weaker enemies, also if you have a stint of bad luck somehow, you'll only lose 1 small unit as opposed to your lynchpin. You can also deploy them separately to better trap your opponent in a net made of giant, cybernetically enhance doggies. Plus, two units will require your opponent to dedicate more units to bring each one down.

I think a Rune Priest is easily one of the best HQ choices in the book. He shuts down psykers quite well and not just Lash, utility powers like Fortune and Doom too and even Battle Psykers' Ld drop power. Having your big units of TWC dropped to Ld2 and run off at the first sight of trouble is depressing. And even if there aren't any psykers, his powers are freaking win. Living Lightning helps you knock out light armor with a bunch of S7 shots, Tempest Fury keeps mobile armies from running circles around you, Murderous Hurricane is death do any big super unit (think Nob Bikers, TWC, or big boyz mobs), and Jaws is just fun.

You are right, but think about all those methods you listed. They're very short ranged, all of them. On the first turn or even up to turn 3 you will not have much of anything to threaten enemy armor at range, so they can pretty much move around freely, targetting your mobile melta and pretty much leaving you at their mercy. Even Wolf Scout units showing up to nuke 1 tank isn't going to put a big dent in a mech army. TWC can bring vehicles down, but since you have the one big unit they will be knocking out 1 tank a turn, maybe. Missile Launchers (Long Fangs), Living Lightning, Autocannons, Multi-meltas, and even lascannons can put pressure on your opponent early, knock out their armor (particularly transports) so your TWC can munch them.

Ha, fair enough. I think you'll be hard-pressed to find anything quite as good or cheap at busting armor at range though. Long Fangs and WGT might be your best bets in that case.

Hope that helped.

Earthen
11-10-2009, 03:15 PM
definitely a great help. Many solid points. This list probably isnt changed as much as what you might like, Ill be keeping the lone wolves (i feel like they add great character, and are fantastic roaming carnie, ironclad killers) and much of the assault theme. Added another rhino, split the TWC up (melta bombs are for wound allocation) added a rune priest and sized down the scouts.

Wolf Lord - TH/SS/Eternal war/hits on 3+/Twolf - 215
Rune Priest - Living lightning, Murderous hurricane, Chooser (for bs5) - 110

5 scouts - 2 PP, 1MG, 5 meltabombs - 140
Lone wolf /w wolves 105
Lone wolf /w wolves 105

10 GH, PF, MGx2, Mark of Wulfen, Rhino - 230 - to pod or not pod one of these?
10 GH, PF, MGx2, Mark of Wulfen, Rhino - 230
7 GH, PW, MG, Rhino - 160

10 Fenrisian wolves - 80

Thunderwolf Calv unit - 240
1 - Stormshield
2 - Stormshield /w Melta bombs
3 - PF

Thunderwolf Calv unit - 235
1 - Stormshield
2 - Stormshield PF
3 - normal

Chumbalaya
11-11-2009, 08:51 AM
You could drop 1 storm shield for each TWC unit, allocate the bad stuff on him and it should be ok. Keeps them cheap and lets you squeeze in more GH.

I would also consider dropping the scouts for more armor, Predators w/ AC and HBs are cheap and effective, as are MM/HF Speeders.

To do it, you could drop the PFs and PW on your GH, 1 attack isn't very impressive and you have better assault units; drop the scouts, they're a fun gimmick unit but some good firepower at range is going to help more; drop Saga of the Bear for Warrior Born on your Wolf Lord, 3+ invul is pretty solid and getting 20+ attacks is hilarious (you may just want a Frost Blade instead); and lose 1 storm shield on each TWC unit; and drop your GH down to 5 and remove any gear beyond the melta, they sit back with your RP and sniper, so keep them cheap and disposable.

That should free up enough points to pick up 2 HB/AC Predators and a MM/HF Speeder to Deep Strike or be annoying. If you wanted more, taking 2 units of Long Fangs with Rhinos then fielding allied Inquisitorial Storm Troopers with meltas (5 men, 2 meltas, pretend they're wolf scouts) would be handy. Stick the ISTs in the Fangs' Rhinos and it gives you more cheap armor to throw at people.

Pi666
11-11-2009, 09:30 AM
You lack in scoring units. Remember Wolves can't go Combat Squads.