PDA

View Full Version : 1500 Points Dark Angels (Using C:SM)

Another Random Geek
08-01-2009, 11:51 AM
HQ: (350 Pts)

Azrael
Chapter Master w/ Relic Blade, Plasma Pistol, Digital Weapons, Artificer Armor, Meltabombs

Ezekiel
Epistolary w/ Gate of Infinity, Vortex of Doom

Elites: (290 pts)

Company Veterans
4 Sternguard Marines w/ Bolters
1 Sergeant w/ Plasma Pistol, Chainsword

Dreadnaught

Troops: (851 pts)

3 Tactical Squads (10 Men)

1 tactical squad has Sergeant with plasma pistol and Power Fist, Plasma Gun, and Missile Launcher

1 tactical squad has Sergeant with plasma pistol and Power Axe, Flamer, and Missile Launcher

1 tactical squad has Sergeant with bolt pistol and Power Fist, Plasma Gun, and Missile Launcher

1 Tactical Squad (6 Men)

6 Marines in a Rhino w/ Hunter Killer

1 Scout Squad (5 Men)

5 Bolt Pistol/CC Weapon Scouts w/ Camo Cloaks

Any constructive comments are welcome.

Lerra
08-01-2009, 12:53 PM
CC Scouts in C:SM are not that great, especially in a small squad. I'd recommend either bumping that squad up to 10, or drop them and bump your tactical squad of 6 up to 10.

You might also run into a few misunderstandings about your HQs if people think they are the "real" Azrael and Ezekial from the DA codex. Just make sure to be clear about that with your opponent.

mkerr
08-01-2009, 02:54 PM
My advice is to keep your costs down if you are playing at 1500pts.

1. You are spending 200pts (like 13% of your total) on one character. I recommend going with a cheaper version, say a Captain with Bolt Pistol, Power Weapon and Digital Weapons. You'll save 75pts that way.

2. Dropping your Epistolary to a standard Librarian saves you another 50pts (that's 125pts so far)

3. The Plasma Pistol on your Sternguard Veteran Sergeant isn't really necessary, so definitely drop that as well (so 140pts so far).

4. Lose the Plasma Pistols on your two Tactical Sergeants (they are terrible on 1 wound models), which saves you another 30pts (so 170pts).

5. Change those two Plasma Guns to Meltaguns for another 10pt savings (180pts).

6. Lose the Hunter Killer Missile on your Rhino (190pts).

7. I also recommend losing the Camo Cloaks on your Scounts (they are really only effective for units with long-range shooting), so that's another 15pts for a savings of 205pts.

8. You've got three small squads (6-man tactical squad, 5-man scout squad and a 5-man Sternguard squad) that could use fleshing out. Personally, I'd drop the small Tactical Squad (141pts and add those to the 205 you've saved so far -- for a total of 346pts).

9. Now I'd think about how you want to get your Captain, Librarian and Sternguard into action. That means Rhino, Drop Pod or Land Raider. With a little more chopping, you could afford a Landraider and three Rhinos which would give you a very nimble mechanized force.

If you want, you can post a revised list (with the points you think work for you) and I can give you some more feedback on that.

I like the idea of using the Codex Space Marines for a Dark Angels army without RW+DW elements. In most cases, you'll come away with a much more effective list.

-- Mker

Another Random Geek
08-02-2009, 12:12 PM
Here goes:

HQ: (240 Pts)

Captain w/ Bolt Pistol, Power Sword, Digital Weapons
Command Squad w/ Apothecary

Elites: (265 pts)

Sternguard Squad (5 Men)
Rhino

Dreadnaught

Troops: (630 pts)

3 Tactical Squads (10 Men)

Each Squad has Meltagun, Missile Launcher, Rhino

Heavy Support: (365)

Land Raider Crusader

Vindicator

I can't say I'm happy about the loss of Plasma weapons, as they gave the list a decidedly "Dark Angely" feel. Are they really that bad? :confused:

mkerr
08-02-2009, 12:38 PM
I can't say I'm happy about the loss of Plasma weapons, as they gave the list a decidedly "Dark Angely" feel. Are they really that bad? :confused:

No, they aren't "that bad" but they just aren't as good (for the points) as a Meltagun. At least not in a mechanized unit. Meltaguns can id very dangerous to every vehicle in the game, so you'll be able to deal with Landraiders and Leman Russes. Plasma isn't great against vehicles.

Meltaguns are good if you need to assault after shooting (again more flexible). Plasma Guns are decent if you plan on standing still and letting your opponent come to you (like an IG Company Command Squad) or in a unit where they can be massed to deal with 2+ armor (like in an IG Veteran Squad tasked with tracking down Terminators).

In the army you are building, Meltaguns are better than Plasma Guns.

This isn't a bad army. You have a decent number of guys (which will be important as you expand the army) and a couple of interesting vehicles (Dreadnought, Vindicator and Landraider Crusader).

I'd like to see the Command Squad a little tougher (a Power Fist or Power Weapon would be a nice addition to the squad), but you can add that later -- after you played the army a few times and found what you liked and didn't like in the list.

A nice start, with plenty of room to grow.

-- MKerr