PDA

View Full Version : Which guard list?

mercer
11-10-2009, 09:45 AM
Both these lists are meant to be 2k points, though both have 140 points left give or take.

List has the problem of lack of transport for the two melta vet units. I could take chimeras, but I really want vendettas, but I lose two fast attack slots and I want a devil dog and hellhound tag team. I could put them in a squadron, but they can only shoot at the same target. So pop the transport I cannot fire the hellhound at whatever is inside it.

list 1

HQ

Company Command Squad w/ Chimera 3 x flamers & 1 x heavy flamer - chimera w/ heavy flamer 140

Troops

Veterans 3 x meltaguns 100
Veterans w/ Chimera 3 x meltaguns 155
Veterans w/ Chimera 3 x flamers & 7 shotguns 140

Fast Attack

2 x Devil Dogs 240
1 x Hellhound multimelta 145
1 x Hellhound multimelta 145

Heavy Support

1 x Leman Russ Demolisher heavy flamer 165
1 x Leman Russ Executioner plasma cannon sponsons 230

total 1865

list 2

HQ

Company Command Squad w/ Chimera 3 x flamers & 1 x heavy flamer - chimera w/ heavy flamer 140

Troops

Veterans w/ Chimera 3 x meltaguns 155

Fast Attack

1 x Hellhound & 1 x Devil Dog 1 x multimelta 265
1 x Vendetta 130
1 x Vendetta 130

Heavy Support

Leman Russ Executioner plasma cannon sponsons 230

total 1860

Lord Azaghul
11-10-2009, 10:09 AM
You are aware that you can not give orders to units embarked in vehicles right?

Options: I don't like to squardon of vehicles even with the hell hounds, especially if the vehcicles do not compliment each other, with as many vehicles as you'll be having they might end up tripping over each other. I would consider looking at some of the elite options ie psykers or ratlings. And you still have 1 HQ option, either another CCS or a primis psyker would fit your list well.

Foot sloggy vets, you could drop both and pick up an autocannon bearing platoon.

mercer
11-10-2009, 10:41 AM
Yes I am well aware of that ;)

Well, thats my problem as I said in my original post. My tactic is "melta & burn" but that won't work in a squadron as the squad must fire at the same target - pop the transport cannot burn the unit inside. So I could make that hellhound a devil dog and have two units of melta death.

I don't like any of the elites, and I don't favour ratlings either. Taking another CCS isn't much benefit either besides adding another unit.

None of my vets will be foot slogging. I'll either get a chimera for them, or throw them in valkyries.

CaptainSinon
11-13-2009, 05:02 PM
definately vendettas

Chumbalaya
11-13-2009, 06:52 PM
I'd go for the second, but just take 2 Dogs. Every vehicle and even some Vets have flamers so you will be fine in that department.

mercer
11-16-2009, 08:25 AM
I think I'm going for two hounds with multi meltas each. Can still pop tanks. If I destroy a tank with a dog, then other dog has nothing to shoot at. Though with a hound I can burn two lots of infantry and fire two melta shots at a tank.

I'll give it a go and report in.