PDA

View Full Version : Tzeentch Warriors or Vampire Counts

Learn2Eel
06-15-2013, 07:51 PM
EDIT: Title should read Vampire Counts 2000 - sorry!

With a whole bunch of people starting Warriors of Chaos in the past month at my LGS - to add to an already WoC dominated meta - I felt I may have to move away from them and on to another army I am really looking at; Vampires. I've had a look around and found a few army lists similar to this, though they are mostly at 2500 points and thus have bigger Ghoul/Black Knight units, which begs the question; would this army work at 2000? Cheers for any input; the cool thing about this army is that it is basically the models I like most.

Vampires 2000
Lords - 500
Vampire Lord w/ heavy armour, barded nightmare, level three wizard, lore of the vampires, quickblood, red fury, ogre blade, talisman of preservation, the other tricksters' shard - 500 (pretty stock standard blender lord at 2000, supports the army and murders virtually anything at this points level with reckless abandon)

Heroes - 188
Vampire w/ heavy armour, lance, barded nightmare, level two wizard, lore of death, dread knight, enchanted shield, potion of foolhardiness - 188 (can't fit in everything to make a proper support caster - i.e. dispel scroll - but tough and very killy, Dread Knight works for taking out other hero-level characters such as Exalted Heroes pretty easily on the charge while the Vampire Lord attacks the unit)

Core - 500
Ghouls (30) - 300 @ 6 wide 5 deep (cheapest model-wise Core fillers, reasonably killy, won't do well against Warriors of Chaos but I don't want to list tailor; with buffs from Vampires Lore, should do just fine, not sure on formation though)
Dire Wolves (5) - 40 (self explanatory)
Dire Wolves (5) - 40 (self explanatory)
Zombies (40) - 120 @ 5 wide 8 deep (awesome tarpit unit, wondering if swapping out the Ghouls for more Zombie hordes may work better)

Special - 362
Black Knights (7) w/ full command, barding, lances - 212 @ three wide, three deep (with characters, this is my issue, is this unit too small and should I make them at least 10 strong for two ranks to get rank bonuses?)
Hexwraiths (5) - 150 (for dealing with enemy heavy cavalry/elite units)

Rare - 450
Terrorgheist - 225 (mobile and deadly support unit)
Terrorgheist - 225 (ditto)

If I wanted to make a bigger Black Knight unit I could drop the Hero Vampire down to a Level one wizard, add in another Black Knight and five wide and two deep with the attached characters so that I have rank bonuses of some kind. With those two at the front though in a three wide unit, they would struggle to hurt the unit (minimal frontage) and I should be doing loads of wounds in return anyway. I've also seen that the lack of the Banner of Swiftness for the Black Knights is a bit of an issue (Movement 7 when barded).

Even though I didn't tailor, I have a big advantage over most WoC players in my store - deployment. All of them run Skullcrushers or Chaos Knights, and dealing with them should be pretty easy with a pair of Terrorgheists screaming as well as the Hexwraiths thrown in.

White Tiger88
06-15-2013, 10:42 PM
Do vampire counts so i an sell you my whole army :p Also Hexwraiths suck, way to easy to kill for there cost.

Chronowraith
06-15-2013, 11:00 PM
Overall a pretty solid list.

Defintely go with the extra black knights to fill out the unit. In truth, you need to decide if you want a dedicated backup caster or a combat support hero. Putting them all into the same basket is an inefficient use of points typically. Also, Necromancers make the best support casters unless you go with the level 1 vampire spam.

While I love Hexwraiths, they are horribly inconsistent. Many of the better armies have enough ways of dealing with them through magic attacks they they will either die quickly or cause minimal damage. The terrorgheists are much more efficient at killing high armor units. Just tie them up with zombies and charge the terrorgheist into the flank. Quick and easy.

I'd almost always go with more zombies versus ghouls.

Now, I've said I like the list... however I wouldn't use this list unless I knew what the scenario was going to be. Why? Blood and Glory scenario. You have a breaking point of 2 and 3 fortitude points meaning that if you lose either your general or the standard bearer of the black knights, it's game over. Your blender lord is *probably* safe. The standard bearer for the black knights less so. The blender lord however could be easily neutralized by most WoC armies who take the cookie cutter BSB. 2+ armor with 3+ ward (rerolling 1s) is a pain in the rear even for the blender lord to chew through quickly without some luck. Also, nurgle daemon princes with death magic will give the blender lord a run for their money by trying to snipe the lord at every opportunity.

So if you truly want an all-comers list that can handle all scenarios you need to find a way to sneak in some more banners.

Learn2Eel
06-15-2013, 11:17 PM
Thanks for the replies!

@WhiteTiger Haha sorry mate, I would be getting all of my Vampires at my LGS to help out my store manager. I've heard Hexwraiths are ok unless you have to contend with magic missiles - which are common - so I see that point of view.

@Chronowraith Yeah I thought seven might be a bit too few, I'm thinking of dropping the Hexwraiths - as you say, Terrorgheists are a lot more efficient at dealing with well armoured foes, and at 2000 there are only so many I will see. I see what you mean about the Vampire, I could drop her down to a level one and take more combat buffs. If I go Zombie heavy, it may be prudent to chuck in some Necromancers.

On Crypt Ghouls, yeah that is what I thought too but it seemed like a pretty balanced Core selection, money wise as well lol. It is about an extra $150-200 to go all Zombies, but it would definitely be more effective. I think though that if I go that route I would probably have to swap the army a bit perhaps to get more support casters in; i.e. drop the Vampire and add in a Necromancer to each unit. Would require some reshuffling though.

Fair enough on the banners part, in my store actually we just play the standard victory points game - unless it is a tournament it seems most Fantasy players I know just play stock standard kill or be killed.

How's this?
Lords - 500
Vampire Lord w/ heavy armour, barded nightmare, level three wizard, lore of the vampires, quickblood, red fury, ogre blade, talisman of preservation, the other tricksters' shard - 500

Heroes - 195 (all three Necromancers have Lore of Vampires)
Necromancer - 65
Necromancer - 65
Necromancer - 65

Core - 500
Dire Wolves (5) - 40
Dire Wolves (5) - 40
Zombies (45) w/ standard bearer - 140

Special - 357
Black Knights (12) w/ full command, barding, lances, banner of swiftness - 357

Rare - 450
Terrorgheist - 225
Terrorgheist - 225

Comes out to 2002....trying to figure out if I can drop anything. My only problems are Necromancers can be singled out, a lot more expensive money wise, etc. I really like the Core actually, and it is only $150 more expensive. Costly, but worth it.

If I instead keep the Hero Vampire and drop him to Level One (extra Invocation?) I can do this instead;

Hero
Vampire w/ heavy armour, lance, barded nightmare, level one, lore of the vampires, enchanted shield, potion of foolhardiness, dawnstone - 168

Special
Black Knights (13) w/ full command, barding, lances, banner of swiftness - 383

But then I am a single point over 2000, but not two points at least lol. I could drop the Banner of Swiftness and give the Vampire Dreadknight to make him even more of a challenge monster, or I could remove the Potion of Foolhardiness and call it a day.
It is a good thing the range of Invocation can be boosted, particularly when my store has mostly 4x4 tables.

Learn2Eel
06-16-2013, 10:24 PM
Lords - 500
Vampire Lord w/ heavy armour, barded nightmare, level three wizard, lore of the vampires, quickblood, red fury, ogre blade, talisman of preservation, the other tricksters' shard - 500

Heroes - 168
Vampire w/ heavy armour, lance, barded nightmare, level one, lore of the vampires, enchanted shield, potion of foolhardiness, dawnstone - 168

Core - 500
Dire Wolves (5) - 40
Dire Wolves (5) - 40

Special - 383
Black Knights (13) w/ full command, barding, lances, banner of swiftness - 383

Rare - 450
Terrorgheist - 225
Terrorgheist - 225

Probably what I am settling on right now.

Learn2Eel
06-17-2013, 07:52 PM
Any suggestions?

Chronowraith
06-17-2013, 08:42 PM
Overall I think that's a pretty solid list. What would be pretty neat is fitting in a corpse cart for the synergy with all those zombies, but, it isn't required by any means. Starting with 115 zombies is enough to make any opponent unnerved. If they don't kill them quickly enough the they will only be facing more of them as the battle goes on.

Learn2Eel
06-18-2013, 02:07 AM
Cheers mate! Yeah the only issue was money, but I think I got that covered so 115 Zombies it is. I'll probably grab another box of them to have 25 spare for early Invocations.
I was wondering, what spell lore would you go on the regular Vampire? Just Vampires in case I get something like Vanhels/Hellish Vigour or just another Invocation?

Learn2Eel
07-04-2013, 04:57 AM
Just thought I'd update this; I went out and bought $700 worth of Vampires last week, built almost all of them (two Black Knights and a Vampire Lord on foot to go) and have so far played one 2000 point game and one 1500 point game. The first was against Wood Elves, the second against Skaven. Can I just say that Terrorgheists are absolutely insane? Particularly on the first two turns they help to clear out chaff, then they shred elite units easily and can flank or rear charge infantry to put on a good 5-6 unsaved wounds to combat res each round. My 13 Black Knights, Vampire Lord and Vampire are devastating as you would expect and swept through anything that stood against them - I even used that unit in the 1500 point game, minus a lot of kit on the Vampire Lord and Vampire though. I must say I am debating whether to drop some stuff on the Vampire Lord to try and fit in Wizard Level 4, as I played against Level 4s twice and it really sucked with a Level 3 at 2K and a Level 2 at 1.5K.

I do find it funny how anyone that tries to run the unkillable Nurgle Daemon Prince against me won't have much joy.....between Death snipes and two Terrorgheists, it would be pretty easy to kill one.