PDA

View Full Version : Army Builder

Spellscape
08-01-2009, 12:12 PM
Hi all

I'm wondering - is Army builder worth its money ? Are WH40K and WH FB have good support in it?
I know that new version is coming so I'm wondering is it worth spending money on it?

Sangre
08-01-2009, 12:33 PM
In all honesty I'd never pay for something that I could do with excel - or even a paper and pen if you're feeling adventurous.

bob
08-01-2009, 12:40 PM
Yea I have several friends who ssay it's the best thirty quid they've ever spent

While i don't own it myself i've used it on their machine, and can testify as to it's usefulness

Orlock
08-01-2009, 12:42 PM
I have to say that Army Builder has been very useful over the years. Worth every penny, but then if you have the time to set up excel spreadsheets go for that.

Arschbombe
08-01-2009, 01:10 PM
I like Army Builder quite a lot. It's a very useful program.

Aims
08-01-2009, 01:20 PM
It is a useful program, and it makes up for the expense in time when you compare how long it takes to set up an excel spreadsheet and how long it takes to do an army builder list. No need to go track down point costs and figure up the extra eq and whatnot. It's just click and add.

Snarf
08-01-2009, 04:12 PM
Army builder Rocks. I use it all the time. The only problem i have is that the updates .... well do not happen overnight as GW does not suport the product and we have to wait for some kind soul to update it for us.

But for speed and general tinkering arround with lists it rocks big time. I have it on my work and Home PC so most lunch times i'm refining some point that never worked for me or trying to save some points for some new toy i want my army to try out.

O and Fantasy generaly gets updated WAY faster then 40K for some reason.

Spellscape
08-01-2009, 04:39 PM
Thank you all for the advice

Is all updates to AB downloaded directly from the "update" menu inside AB or from some fansites?

2dØpe
08-01-2009, 04:55 PM
Its a fantastic program, still need to sort myself a new copy out like, used to have a copy of 2.2 but lost my gubbinz when they brought 3.0 out :(

Bagration
08-01-2009, 05:09 PM
Very much a worthwhile tool - great for doing 'what if' lists, last minute lists and has a decent output - saves me time and very easy to use.

doctorahhnold
08-01-2009, 05:21 PM
Army builder is fantastic...saves HUGE amounts of time which can then be spent on painting!!

darth_papi76
08-01-2009, 06:00 PM
Army builder is a great program. It helps math-deficient people like myself make nice neat army lists. Though, you do have to double check things sometimes. Worth every penny.

herger
08-01-2009, 06:05 PM
army builder is well worth the cash. it saves so much time and you rarely have to look in your codex when you game.

chazhick
08-01-2009, 06:15 PM
It is extremely useful and save a lot of time. Its worth the money and once you buy the software which you can put on two machines, you can renew your license for a lot lower cost.

vman
08-01-2009, 07:08 PM
I have recently purchased army builder and i must say that i like it

Saves the hassle of flicking thru the codex over and over again.

I think for the price it does its job nicely.

If the price is an issue (perhaps younger players) theres absolutely nothing wrong with a simple excel spreadsheet. Plus it would get your excel skills up to scratch if you poured hours into a proper spreadsheet with formulas.

Arschbombe
08-01-2009, 07:18 PM
Is all updates to AB downloaded directly from the "update" menu inside AB or from some fansites?

The basic program is from the software developer. The data files used for 40k and other games are done by independent volunteer groups. Usually you're looking at data file updates a month or so after release of a new codex.

BuFFo
08-02-2009, 12:00 AM
Hi all

I'm wondering - is Army builder worth its money ?

Yes.

WH40K and WH FB have good support in it?

Yes they do.

I know that new version is coming so I'm wondering is it worth spending money on it?

Just wait for the new version to come out. The (current) older version won't get the support the new version will.

Uncle Fester
08-02-2009, 04:17 AM
Its a great program, shame they removed the BOLS stuff from it in the new update. Where's my Phantom titan, Tempest etc...:rolleyes:

CrusherJoe
08-02-2009, 10:46 AM
One thing I haven't seen mentioned in this long (and honest) list of AB's benefits is this: Standardized Output.

Unless you monkey with the settings every AB-made army list is going to look pretty much the same. If you're playing in a tournament it's invaluable you as a player and to your opponent, as there's no guessing what that obscure piece of wargear in his Word document army list is...it's right there in the AB page.

I know most tournaments prefer AB-made army lists (though I don't know of any that would refuse to let you play if you didn't have AB).

evil_bryan
08-02-2009, 01:09 PM
I am a huge fan of AB and have used it for years. I like the dedicated community behind to ensure the datas files are updated and corrected regualrly. I also love the fact that you receive two licenses for the program as I have running on my home and work PC. Nothing speeds a slow day at work better then working out various 40K lists in AB. :)

chachi
08-03-2009, 09:42 AM
I used to use Excel for army lists, but Army Builder is so much easier as you can switch between multiple game systems and multiple armies within each system and whip up builds very quickly.

Liquidice
08-03-2009, 11:33 AM
I use a similair but less advanced army builder called The Forge. It's free and their is also a pocket pc version of it. It calculated points and i find it really handy. The only bad thing is that you must find the seperate army datalist. Below is a link for a yahoo group with pretty much every armies datalist and also the link for the program itself.

As for data lists check out the link I posted below. You will need to make a Yahoo acount, which is free, to access the data lists.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/forge-files/files/

Here is the link for the program

http://www.thedigitalfoundry.com/forge/

Aldramelech
08-03-2009, 11:39 AM
Call me old and sad but I enjoy sitting down with the book, rosta pad and calculator. I find it quite relaxing.

boogle
08-03-2009, 11:40 AM
Yes it's worth it IMHO, even just for the single year, as once that has expired, you can just download the updates from the site, rather than automatically.

It's good also because it allows you to look uplist for non-GW games as well