PDA

View Full Version : Non-mechanised IG

Sangre
08-01-2009, 12:32 PM
I see a lot of Imperial Guard armies that basically consist of small squads with grenade launchers in chimeras, playing like Space Marines Lite. This is not what it's about in my mind.

So my question to you, is how would one assemble a competitive all-comers IG list without excessive mechanisation of units?

Hal'jin
08-01-2009, 02:06 PM
I play a semi-mechanised list. I do have two squads of Vets and a CCS in Chimeras, but I also have a 4-squad platoon with GLs and Autocannons.

For a non-mechanised I'd go with two platoons, preferrably bigger. You could outfit one with heavy weapons and the other not so it can actually advance on to objectives. Though that sure is made much easier with Valkyries and Chimeras. Also Veterans with Camo Cloaks and a heavy weapon can be quite nasty I'm sure. I'd keep a SWS or two behind the platoons in case something gets to your lines, once it mops up a unit and consolidates it gets two demo charges in the face. You could try something like:

Company Command Squad
-Regimental Standard, some advisor of choice (I'd go for OoF myself), Mortar

Infantry Platoon 1
Platoon Command - 3 flamers (love that loadout)
4xInfantry Squad - Grenade Launcher, Autocannon
-A Commissar in one of those for merging, with a PW.
2xSpecial Weapon Squad - 2xdemo charge, flamer

Infantry Platoon 2
Platoon Command - 3 flamers
4xInfantry Squad - Flamer

Veteran Squad
3xPlasma, Lascannon, Forward Sentries

Vendetta
Vendetta

Leman Russ Battle Tank
Leman Russ Battle Tank
Leman Russ Demolisher - Plasma Cannons

Comes down to 1805 and should be very competetive. With the remaining points you can do anything, get psykers, get more meatshields, pick up some Sentinels or another Vet squad. Also you could use some artillery instead of tanks, I'd go for a Manticore or a Colossus, preferrably the former though.

Bluephoenix
08-01-2009, 02:15 PM
took this list from a post I made over at boot camp, and is my current friendly games list.

works amazingly well, and for 2000 I usually throw in a couple of chimeras (2-3) for some extra mobility and firepower.

the spirit of the list was to try and capture the theme from the old FW D-99 elysian list.

company command
creed, kell, bodyguard, medic, camo, carapace, MoO, vox, sniper

veterans
bastonne, plasmagun x3, grenadiers

veterans
plasma x3, vox, grenadiers

veterans
melta x3, demolitions, shotguns

stormies (10)
2x plasma

stormies (10)
2x melta

valkyrie
multilas, rocket pods

vendetta
lascannon, hellfuries

armored sentinel squad
3x lascannon, camo x3, smoke x3

total: 1735

Chumbalaya
08-01-2009, 10:39 PM
Non mech Guard are certainly viable. What you lack in mobility, immunity to small arms, and all the added benefits of vehicles, you have to make up for in bodies and guns.

Company Command Squad
-Regimental Standard, some advisor of choice (I'd go for OoF myself), Mortar

Infantry Platoon 1
Platoon Command - 3 flamers (love that loadout)
4xInfantry Squad - Grenade Launcher, Autocannon
-A Commissar in one of those for merging, with a PW.
2xSpecial Weapon Squad - 2xdemo charge, flamer

Infantry Platoon 2
Platoon Command - 3 flamers
4xInfantry Squad - Flamer

Veteran Squad
3xPlasma, Lascannon, Forward Sentries

Vendetta
Vendetta

Leman Russ Battle Tank
Leman Russ Battle Tank
Leman Russ Demolisher - Plasma Cannons

Something similar to this. Infantry should be all out dakka, autocannons work best for this. The only time I'd field infantry not with heavy weapons would be a big mob of stubborn guardsmen with power weapons, meltas, and commissars blocking enemy assaulters. Normal Russes would have to go in favor of better tanks, since you have anti-transport covered I'd recommend Demolishers or Eradicators/Executioners, the first to kill heavy armor autocannons can't hurt, and the latter to kill whatever piles out of those transports. Add Vets or ISTs with meltas to give the Vendettas a little surprise and you're good.

took this list from a post I made over at boot camp, and is my current friendly games list.

works amazingly well, and for 2000 I usually throw in a couple of chimeras (2-3) for some extra mobility and firepower.

the spirit of the list was to try and capture the theme from the old FW D-99 elysian list.

company command
creed, kell, bodyguard, medic, camo, carapace, MoO, vox, sniper

veterans
bastonne, plasmagun x3, grenadiers

veterans
plasma x3, vox, grenadiers

veterans
melta x3, demolitions, shotguns

stormies (10)
2x plasma

stormies (10)
2x melta

valkyrie
multilas, rocket pods

vendetta
lascannon, hellfuries

armored sentinel squad
3x lascannon, camo x3, smoke x3

total: 1735

Not this though. Too many pricey characters (vox >>> Kell, Bastonne = lol), FailTroopers, Armored Sentinels with lascannons (BS3 AV12 squadron, not exactly scary or hard to bring down), and not enough armor or firepower to be an appreciable threat.

Majorcrash
08-02-2009, 08:34 AM
I've been trying to make a Mech guard unit work since 2nd ed. And failed miserably. Instead i have had a lot of success with infantry heavy force. Most of my oponents have been surprised how mobile they truly can be. Even more so with the 5th ed. As marines are my most common opponnent i plan against them.

Hq: lascannon, 2x grenade launchers

Elites:
5x ratling snipers
squad of stormtroopers 5 strong with meltagun
squad of stormtroopers 5 strong with meltagun

Troops:
1st platoon Hq cnd and commisar pwr wpn an plama pistol
medic, vox, 2x meltaguns
3 squads with plasma rifles
spc wpn sqd 3 meltaguns

2nd platoon Hq lascannon 2x grenade launchers
2squads grenade launcher and missle launcher

fast atk:
3 scout sentinel 2x multilaser, autocannon

hvy support:
2 squadrons of russ's
1st - standard russ with sponson bolters, Executioner with plasma sponsons
2nd- Vanquisher with plasma sponsons, standard russ with bolter sponsons

My 1st platoon is my mobile element advancing with the tanks/ sentinels and reinforcing taken objective with the storm troopers. Using the CC hq and the 2nd platoon to be my fire base and hold my objectives.

so far works against everything but orks.............

xarius
08-02-2009, 08:54 AM
competitive all-comers IG list without excessive mechanisation of units?

that is pretty much one of the mlost comp guard lists about but you can still use fairly big platoons with grenade launchers and HB/autocannons upported by artillery e.g. colossus or medusa, something like a hellhound (though a bit nerfed) or devildog(melta one?) and a russ or to. It depends on how mech you want to go. no mech is doable but harder than mech, meching about a third give you a nice support element and still objective grabbing ability. I personally mech 1 alrahem platoon to outflank and grab objectives whilst the rest of my army holds anything in the deployment zone and suppresses the enemy, though it never works out that nice

CKO
08-03-2009, 10:00 PM
Ofcourse it can work we win using one strategy bring more stuff then other people, whether its tanks or special weapons or heavy weapons, spamming those weapons will work.

Aldramelech
08-04-2009, 12:39 AM
Ok, I use non mech Guard-

HQ - COY Cmd Plas pistol, Power weapon, Melta Bomb.
Regimental Standard, Medic, Plasma Gunner, Vox op, two Body guards. Frag and Krak for all.

Lord Commisar, Power sword, Bolt Pistol.

Platoon 1

Platoon Cmd, Power fist, Las pistol, Melta Bomb.
Vox op, Medic, Melta gunner, Sniper. Frag and Krak for all.

1st squad, Sgt with Bolt Pistol, sword, Melta bomb.
Vox op, Flamer, Missile team. Frag and Krak for all.

2nd Squad, Sgt with Plas Pistol, sword, Melta Bomb.
Vox op, Grenade launcher, Hvy Bolter team. Frag and Krak for all.

Hvy Weapon Squad 3x Mortars
Hvy Weapon Squad 2x Autocannon 1x Las Cannon

2nd Platoon is as above except both Sgt have Plas pistols and the Platoon Cmd has Bolt pistol and sword.

Veteran Squad, Sgt with Plas pistol, sword. Autocannon team, Vox op, Hvy flamer, Plasma Gunner, Melta Gunner and 1 demo charge. All with frag and krak and melta bombs. Mounted in autocannon chimera with HK missle.

2x5 Ratling snipers

3x Armoured Sentinals (Plasma cannon, Auto Cannon, Las Cannon) all with HK missile.

Leaman Russ Vanquisher, Hvy Stubber, Las Cannon, HK Missile.
Leaman Russ Punisher, Hvy Stubber, Las Cannon, Hvy Bolters and HK Missile.

Chumbalaya
08-04-2009, 06:39 AM
What's with all that superfluous crap? Guard don't need upgrades, they need more guns and bodies.

Aldramelech
08-04-2009, 08:31 AM
What's with all that superfluous crap? Guard don't need upgrades, they need more guns and bodies.

Keeps the cost (£££££) down, Im not made of money lol. ;)

Anyway I like superfluous crap.

Exlorn
08-04-2009, 03:07 PM
To be competitave, big platoons with lots of heavy weapons. But I say make it fun and crazy.

If I ever get arround to actually glueing and painting my gaurd it will be all infantry and no heavy weapons. Veterans with demolition and Special Weapons squads with demo charges. All behind 2 conscripts with Chenkov special rule (can't remember what its called, old nid without number). Once the scipts are stuck in remove them at the beggining of my turn and demo charge the whole front line. Charge in on the rest, probably with Iron hand straken backing them up.

No one would suspect a whole gaurd army charging across the field on foot, and that means they can't prepare for it, right?