PDA

View Full Version : High Elves 2500, new to Fantasy

Hessenth
06-25-2013, 04:34 AM
hey guys, I just started a fantasy army and this is my first real crack at a list. Please let me know what you thing.

Lords: 625

Archmage: 185/320
Level 4: 35
Book of Hoeth: 55
Talismen of Preservation: 45

Annointed of Asuryan: 210/305
Blade of Leaping Gold: 70
Potion of Strength: 20
Enchanted Shield: 5

Heroes:

Mage: 85/145
Level 2: 35
Dispel Scroll: 25

Noble: 70/138
Celestial Lance: 30
Dragon Armor: 20
Shield: 3
Mount w/ Barding: 15

Core: 630

Lothern Seaguard x40: 440/510
Shields: 40
Full Command: 30

Archers x11: 110/120
Musician: 10

Special: 937

Swordmasters x26: 338/368

Dragon Princes x11: 319/399
Banner of the World Dragon: 50

Eagles x2: 100

Reaver Bolt Thrower: 70

This leaves me with 25 points to do something with. The AoA and the level 2 mage (high magic) go in with the sword masters, giving them a 6++, immune to psycology,Magic Resist (2) and an increasing ward save.
The Level 4 mage goes with the archers and takes shadow. The dragon princes have 2++ ward saves against flaming attacks, magic attacks, and magic, so they get to go against anything that does that kind of damage. The noble joins them. Eagles are redirects, Bolt thrower I took for a cheap deploy unit that can help shoot with the core of the army.

Hessenth
06-29-2013, 02:13 AM
bump...?

Kirsten
06-29-2013, 03:15 AM
Looks fairly solid. I would definitely recommend a hero of some sort for the sea guard though. whilst they get loads of shots, loads of attacks, re-rolls etc. at S3 they can still really struggle to actually put any damage out. Cheap hero with a great weapon, or the sword of might and merwyrm shield for example can help you get a few more kills reliably each turn.
11 archers aren't going to achieve a whole lot to be honest, I would consider swapping them for an extra bolt thrower and putting the archmage in with the sea guard

okeyigiveup
06-29-2013, 04:26 AM
I am not sure, but, it seems a bit risky to have two big groups of infantry but no BSB.

Kirsten
06-29-2013, 07:44 AM
I agree, drop the archers, get a bolt thrower and a battle standard bearer, he can be the hero I outlined above and have the standard too, drop a sword master, a couple of sea guard, wont be far off

Hessenth
06-29-2013, 01:12 PM
Don't you need 25% of your points spent on core?

okeyigiveup
06-29-2013, 02:19 PM
I may be wrong, but a single bolt thrower would not do much in a 2500 game.
So now you have 70 for another noble, and your 25 left to be used to upgrade it as BSB.
(I don't have the new book yet, so I hope GW didn't change the price of BSB)

For the Lv.2, change it to Lv.1, with Lore of Death so you can have more stable power dice with the signature spell.
Put it into the Seaguards, or the Swordmaster if you don't mind to put all ch. in one group.
Those 35 pts could be used for dragon armour & shield of Merwyrm to the BSB added.

The Book of Hoeth fits High Magic on a Lv.4 the best, as you may easily cast all 4 spells as you want.
Put it into the Swordmaster, and you can give your SM lots of ward save in a short time.

If you really think my changes above are ok, and you would somehow also want to give up the archer, change them into 10 more seaguard.
Then you may have a strong horde 10 by 5 which can have tons of shots, and 5 ranks of ASF (front + support + spear + martial prowess + horde) if be charged & 4 ranks if you charge your opponent.
Big number + steadfast may help to overcome low S & T & armour save.

Kirsten
07-01-2013, 05:12 AM
Don't you need 25% of your points spent on core?

yes, you could always swap the eagles for reaver knights, then they meet your core needs, can move almost as fast, and can shoot.

I may be wrong, but a single bolt thrower would not do much in a 2500 game.

For the Lv.2, change it to Lv.1, with Lore of Death so you can have more stable power dice with the signature spell.

The Book of Hoeth fits High Magic on a Lv.4 the best, as you may easily cast all 4 spells as you want.
Put it into the Swordmaster, and you can give your SM lots of ward save in a short time.

bolt throwers are handy for bringing down knights, monsters etc, I do think they are worthwhile personally.

the point of the level 2 high magic mage would be to increase the ward save of the unit which is a high magic boon, +1 ward save per spell cast, so going death magic would negate that advantage. the annointed gives a ward save to the unit, which the high mage bumps, adds survivability.

okeyigiveup
07-04-2013, 04:20 AM
The ward save issue is the reason I suggested to change the positions & lores of the Mages.
A Lv.2 only has 2 spells, and can be easily dispelled as it has only +2 bonus & nothing else.
The swordmasters need ward save increased, so a Lv.4 with Book of Hoeth can do a much better job on this case.
As the Lv.4 becomes the main caster, the Lv.2 using Death can provide extra assassination power & guarantee to power dice, in case there's a bad roll on the Wind of Magic.

Also I'm not saying a single bolt thrower can do nothing, but in a 2500 game, a single bolt thrower could probably harm (but not kill) one knight unit or monster. The efficiency of bolt thrower increases geometrically with the number (and I believe that's why GW lets us use 4 instead of 2 as other unit). In my point of view a BSB worths more than a single bolt thrower in a 2500 game.

Swap 2 eagles to 1 group of reavers could be a dangerous move. 1 unit could block and redirect less, and could be taken care by a single enemy unit. Terrains may also cause lots of problems or limitations to reavers on ground, but not eagles in the air.