PDA

View Full Version : Tau 1850 fluffy list

Kuhlbert
11-12-2009, 12:00 AM
I'm putting together an 1850pt Tau list for some upcoming Tournaments. One of the things about me, however, is I have to put together lists that "look" right. I can't stand to play lists that are just designed to win.

Of course, this means I don't win very often. But, I do have fun.

Here's what I've put together as a well rounded, tau-looking, fluffy list:

Shas'o (142 pts)
Missile Pod, Plasma Rifle, Pos. Relay, HWDC, HWMT, Shield Drone.

Ethereal w/ Honor Guard (137 pts)
HWDC, Shield Drone, 6x Honor Guard FW.

XV-8 Team (Anti-Tank, 139 pts)
Team Leader w/ BK, TL-Fusion, Missile Pod, HWDC, HWMT, Shield Drone.
XV-8 w/ Fusion, Missile Pod, MT.

XV-8 Team (Anti-Inf, 129 pts)
Team Leader w/ BK, Burst, Flamer, Missile Pod, HWDC, HWMT, Shield Drone.
XV-8 w/ Burst, Missile Pod, MT.

Stealth Team (177 pts)
Team Leader w/ BK, Fusion, HWDC, HWTL, Markerlight, Marker Drone.
3xXV-25

Firewarriors (190 pts)
Shas'ui w/ BK, HWDC, Gun Drone.
7x Fire Warriors w/Pulse Rifles
Devilfish w/ Disruption Pod

Firewarriors (190 pts)
Shas'ui w/ BK, HWDC, Gun Drone.
7x Fire Warriors w/Pulse Rifles
Devilfish w/ Disruption Pod

Kroot Kindred (110 pts)
Shaper
10xKroot Kindred
2xKroot Hounds

Pathfinder Squad (216 pts)
Shas'ui w/ BK, Carbine and Markerlight.
5xPathfinders w/ Carbines and Markerlight.
2xPathfinders w/Railrifles and Target Locks.
Devilfish w/ Disruption Pod and Marker Beacon
Sniper Drone Team (80 pts)

XV-88 Team (185 pts)
Team Leader w/ BK, HWDC, ***, Shield Drone.
XV-88 w/ ***.

Hammerhead (155 pts)
Railgun, Disruption Pod.

Again, my intent here is to have a decent Tau list that "looks" Tau... my thoughts are:

1) Redundancy. Railguns in XV-88 and Hammerhead. Rail Rifles in SDT and Paths. Markerlights in Stealth, Path, and SDT. 2x Crisis Teams, 2x Fire warrior teams.
2) Reserve and Deep Strike goodness via Positional Relay and Marker Beacon.
3) 9 Markerlights (2xStealth, 6xPaths, 1xSDT)
4) Plenty of Drones - Shields for leaders, crisis, and XV-88, guns in the FW and off the 'Fish.
5) Decent mix of 2 HQ, 3 Elite, 3 Troop, 3 Heavy... only 1 FA though.
6) Decent sized units - not the largest, but not the smallest either.
7) An ethereal. Yes, he can be a liability... but he's so... Tau-ish.
8) No points sink - all but one (pathfinders) are under 200, and they're only 216...

The plan would be for the Ethereal and Honor guard to find a place to be near the XV-88s (and pray that there is no IG Artillery nearby) and be a firebase (or to hold an objective), and the kroot infiltrated, the paths infiltrated, the SDT in place, the hammerhead lurking, and the Shas'o hiding. The crisis and FW in reserve. Using the PosRelay, the Shas'o brings in the Crisis first, using the marker beacon to Deep Strike them more accurately - later in the game, the FW come in to take objectives.

Or at lease that's the plan :) With my luck the Shas'o will get popped in turn one, and the pathfinder devilfish will get lit up by some ambitious heavy weapons team. But, I can dream...

I don't expect to come out on top - but I think its a decent list, that certainly meets fluff standards. The only thing I'm toying with is to find some points somewhere (maybe shrink some squads...but that stinks of min/maxing) to squeeze in another FA choice - either a drone squadron or a piranha...

So... thoughts? Comments? Critiques? Blasts? Have at it...

eagleboy7259
11-12-2009, 01:24 PM
Going to be honest, I am no Tau expert here but I just think you should check out this site, they had some interesting ideas on how to play Tau:

http://advancedtautactica.com/

Personally I don't know how far you want the critiques to go in keeping in line with your fluff...

1) I'd add in another Railhead there. Idk where you think the line between redundancy and fluff is...
2) Umm... Fusions? Bursts? I think most people find that Plasma and Pods work best.
3) No Snipe Drone Team...
4) Crisis Suit teams without Drones should be 2 man so they never have to deal with moral issues. With drones they should be larger.

Theres more... but I'm just going to stop while I'm ahead before you and everyone else thinks I'm an idiot when I start to make blunders...Fluff is good, Tau are very easy to play with some measure of fluff and still be competitive. Good Luck