PDA

View Full Version : Help me pick my army

Fellend
06-29-2013, 10:12 AM
I'm very tempted to start playing Infinity and I'm currently looking into what army I should play.
I've decided that I won't play any non-human army and I'm drawn to the anime-esque armor of the Nomads (tomcats and hellcats especially). I'm however having a hard time figuring out if they will play like I want them to.

I'm looking for lots of Holo, camo and airborne. Which faction does what best? And if I want an airborne stealth (starter) nomad squad. What should I get? Please advice, over.

Ze_Shoggoth
06-30-2013, 03:41 AM
I'm very tempted to start playing Infinity and I'm currently looking into what army I should play.
I've decided that I won't play any non-human army and I'm drawn to the anime-esque armor of the Nomads (tomcats and hellcats especially). I'm however having a hard time figuring out if they will play like I want them to.

I'm looking for lots of Holo, camo and airborne. Which faction does what best? And if I want an airborne stealth (starter) nomad squad. What should I get? Please advice, over.

Hey there, Infinity is a fantastically quick game. To answer your questions Honestly? your looking at the wrong force for camo and airborne. That is more an Adriana theme. the thing I think would fit you is the Jurisdictional command of Corrigidor starter set, then get a hacker too. Nomads do have some Mutants.

Adriana - have no mechs and have no hackers. Hit hard and take no prisoners they are coincided the lowest tech faction.
Haqq - are a good all rounder have really cool units, (bikes that are monowheels)
Pan o - are basically the best in tech (though aleph would argue that), have good unit synergy and they have very specific rolls on the battlefield
Nomads - have good mechs, cool hackers and some oddball units.
Aleph. - hard to say about these they draw on tech with Pan but sometimes the odd unit exceeds, though I have found there units tend to under perform, giving the tech edge to Pan
Yu - have some really evil stealth units, and are just under Pan in the meta game. There new Jap seq box looks really interesting. Aleph just push them out of the second spot in tech

I can do the others too if you want, and I can explain each unit as I have played / used most.

Fatagn!

Fellend
06-30-2013, 10:00 AM
Damnit. I kinda like the Nomads. I was Corrigidor starter set with a Spektrs, an extra hellcat and a Prowler. Is that way off? it comes down to around 200 points with none of the heavy weapons and allows me to have some alternatives as what to play.
I've only played a demo-game using mirrored Aleph units and I really have a no idea what's good.

I think my basic plan is to deep-strike (there's probably a non-40k word for it) two hellcats from the side while the prowler sneaks around and murders people. The rest will just act as a firebase to protect the lieutenant.

Quaade
06-30-2013, 10:24 AM
The beautiful thing about infinity is that everything is good as it's not about the individual unit's strenght and more about how you use them on the table. As long as you have some basic roles covered you're good to go with almost anything.

You need some hardhitting firepower
Some units who can threaten with attack vectors to discourage your opponent to go or not go some paths.
Something that can deal with camo, though not a necessity it's still nice to have.

Bring a good mix, as long as you use your SWC as well, your group can't really be considered "bad" only how it's used on the battlefield.

Certs
06-30-2013, 08:17 PM
If you like the Nomad models, play Nomads - I assure you, you won't be disappointed with their camo/AD capabilities.
Sure, Ariadna can pull camo out their *** on many of their units, but Nomad's definitely bring a lot of their own flavor to it that Ariadna doesn't. The same could also be said about their Airborne Deployment.

As for listbuilding - true, there's no one 'right' way to do it but there are plenty of good/bad ways to go about it (as well as units which are better/worse at performing certain roles). Can't really say much on it though - well, could but won't - since a lot of what makes a good list is highly dependent on the terrain layout you use, what factions you're playing against, and both you and your opponent's playstyle preferences.

Your initial blueprint of 2 Hellcats and a Prowler backed up by Cheerleaders would work fine in an appropriately sized game. 300pts is the 'standard' game size and you can probably afford even more tricks when you get to there.

edit: Will also shameless self-plug but I play both Nomads and Ariadna (and Haqq and Neoterrans) and have a number of batreps on my blog, Certs Tabletop (http://certs-tabletop.blogspot.com/), you could check out if to see how I went about using those factions. My Ariadna have probably gotten a bit more attention though since I'm using them for my group's Paradiso campaign.

Ze_Shoggoth
07-02-2013, 02:04 PM
If you like the Nomad models, play Nomads - I assure you, you won't be disappointed with their camo/AD capabilities.
Sure, Ariadna can pull camo out their *** on many of their units, but Nomad's definitely bring a lot of their own flavor to it that Ariadna doesn't. The same could also be said about their Airborne Deployment.

As for listbuilding - true, there's no one 'right' way to do it but there are plenty of good/bad ways to go about it (as well as units which are better/worse at performing certain roles). Can't really say much on it though - well, could but won't - since a lot of what makes a good list is highly dependent on the terrain layout you use, what factions you're playing against, and both you and your opponent's playstyle preferences.

Your initial blueprint of 2 Hellcats and a Prowler backed up by Cheerleaders would work fine in an appropriately sized game. 300pts is the 'standard' game size and you can probably afford even more tricks when you get to there.

edit: Will also shameless self-plug but I play both Nomads and Ariadna (and Haqq and Neoterrans) and have a number of batreps on my blog, Certs Tabletop (http://certs-tabletop.blogspot.com/), you could check out if to see how I went about using those factions. My Ariadna have probably gotten a bit more attention though since I'm using them for my group's Paradiso campaign.

This guy is absolutely correct. My first Infinity force was Haqq, I now have Nomad, Tohaa, Adriana and probably going to get Pan and Yu. I have used other figures but those are my current armies.

I do have allot of figures, I split them, for people. I was going to plug myself here but I am new and a little wary of this.

There is no strict force though. I've played with lots without hackers or docs in Haqq and won, and no mechs either.

Just try to take at least One heavy weapon, and possibly one " special " sniper / adhesive something like that.

you don't have to, they can just be useful

Fatagn!

Levitas
08-07-2013, 07:46 AM
Vanilla Nomads are superb. Lots of camo options from cheap zeros with minelayer, the ever useful Prowler with glue gun, HMG Intruder and the TO camo Spektr hacker for superior hacking shenanigans. Backed up by a Reverend Custodier as Lt and a Sin Eater. Then sprinkle in some cheap Hellcats for dropping in.

But as the guys said, buy what you like and it will still work.