PDA

View Full Version : Another Psyker/Assassin combo

tallyrand
11-12-2009, 04:05 PM
There was a thread earlier about using an Imperial Guard Psyker Battle Squad to augment a Culexus Assassin's shooting attack, gaining extra shoots for each Psyker within 12", the drawback being both getting the Psyker Squad the Assassin, and the targets all in proximity, as well as the Psyker Squad having their Ld dropped to 7, making their psychic attack unreliable.

On the other hand, i was looking at the Psyker Battle Squad's other power, Weaken Resolve, which will lower a unit's Ld by the number of Psykers. It has a nice 36" range, and thought it would combo really nice with the Callidus Neural Shredder which S8 vs the target's Ld.

What I want to know is will this result in Instant Death? I know that when a target's toughness is raised by a bike or some such, the original value is still used for the purposes of Instant Death. I suppose it would hold true here as well, otherwise, this combo could, say, torch a Hive Tyrant and it's entire Guard in a single go.

I was also thinking that if you were going to have to take an Inquisitor to get the Assassin, go Witch Hunter, and take Divine Pronouncement, which would also go just great with Weaken Resolve.

bonedale
11-12-2009, 04:17 PM
This combo has been discussed recently somewhere on this site. It's a very good combo, much better than the Culexus, however, like you touched on, You need an Inquisitor and assassin, and psyker squad. That is a lot of FOCs and resources into one plan. However, I think some are seeing it as worth it if you face a Thunderwolf force.

I just can't see how else to use the psyker battle squad. Their powers are overall weak besides that one.

Oh and it will cause instant death, since toughness is leadership in this one instance. So it doesn't matter if the model is toughness 10, Leadership is all that matters.

Denzark
11-12-2009, 04:57 PM
Not only has this been discussed it is the subject of a faq from GW - you can get an instant kill by weaken resolve and then neural shredder.

deadmanwade
11-12-2009, 11:54 PM
The Psyker Battle Squads weaken resolve power is AWESOME against any non-fearless unit. Hit a mob of Nob Bikers with a battlecannon and that power in unison and they're off the table unless they roll snake eyes. You only need to cause a break test and you can get rid of the unit of your choice.
It also works well with pinning weapons if you use it before you fire.
If you take a mystic or two with the Inquisitor along with some firepower in the form of servitors or warriors then he is a useful HQ choice. Whilst the three together (Inq, ***, PBS) are a lot for one combo, they work well individually too.

SlavesToDarkness
11-13-2009, 01:00 AM
I don't think this would instant death a hive tyrant though, right? Aren't synapse immune to instant death?

BS FADE
11-15-2009, 10:57 PM
I don't think this would instant death a hive tyrant though, right? Aren't synapse immune to instant death?

I believe you are in fact correct sir.