PDA

View Full Version : 1850 Space Marine List for Anti-Mech

Valhallan42nd
11-12-2009, 07:42 PM
I'm looking forward to participating in a tournament where each mission is a five objective (one in the center of each quarter, one in the center) as a primary, five kill points assigned to units in the list by opponent as a secondary.

Mech seems to be the opperant design philosphy in my area. I was intrigued by a BoLS post that suggested a "battle company" of marines as a method of combatting that dominant paradigm. With this list, I hope to immobilise the majority of the enemy's transports in turn one. With 14 S7+ shots at 48 inch range going down the field in one turn (along with the difficult terrain causing t-fire), I think it has a good shot in doing so.

The Rhinos will stay in reserve for as long as I can keep them there. With my solid troops I can hold my two objectives with relative ease. I hope to use the bikes to take care of that random Land Raider, along with the Melta Dread as back-up. Assuming that there are no juicy targets, I'd hold them back to contest objectives later in the game. The Rhinos, bikes and the GoI librarian are are there to provide those late game obj. threats.

HQ
Librarian Null Zone Gates of Infinity Power Armor Frag/Krak Force Weapon Psy Hood

Troops
Tactical Squad, 10 Sgt Upgrade Power Weapon Flamer Lascannon Rhino
Tactical Squad, 10 Sgt Upgrade Power Weapon Melta Gun Lascannon Rhino
Tactical Squad, 10 Sgt Upgrade Power Weapon Flamer Heavy Bolter

Elites
Dreadnought, 1 Multi-Melta Storm Bolter
Terminators, 5 Cyclone Missile
Dreadnought, 1 Twin-Linked Autocannon Storm Bolter

Fast Attack
Bike Squad, 5 Sgt. Upgrade Power Fist Melta Gun Melta Gun

Heavy Support
Devastator Squad, 7 Sgt Upgrade Missile Launcher x4
Devastator Squad, 7 Sgt Upgrade Missile Launcher x4
Thunderfire Cannon, 1 Thunderfire Cannon Bolster Defenses Techmarine Servoharness Artificer Armor

Points Summary:
HQ: 100
Troops: 650
Elites: 450
Fast Attack: 185
Heavy Support: 464
Total: 1849

Unholy_Martyr
11-19-2009, 11:54 AM
To be honest, I think the list is just about as good as it gets, you cover your bases well and seem to have everything under control.

The only idea I would consider is trying some land speeders in place of the bike squadron, see how it works out for you. This would give you almost the same amount of speed as well as deadliness against armor which you could also deepstrike.

That's just my 2 cents.

Earthen
11-19-2009, 12:10 PM
you need to drop power weapons for power fists so you can actually dig yourself out of close combat with things like MCs and Walkers. You also should add a MM attack bike to your bike squadron. MM dread needs a drop pod.

Id think about dropping the thunderfire cannon to pay for the changes.

The only big conceptual issue i have with this list is the lack of a counter assault unit. if you changed your terminators to TH/SS and gated them up the field with the libby, i think you could get alot more use out of them.

Chumbalaya
11-19-2009, 01:09 PM
There's a reason nobody runs gunlines any more (or at least, they shouldn't). Cover, tougher armor, and objectives.

Your mobility is limited to 1 power or 3 AV11 vehicles, at least for scoring units. You have 3 units with melta weapons, only 1 of which has 2 shots. Any armor higher than 13 will pretty much wade through your fire without much worry, dropping nasties like assault termies that munch everything you have.

Even against medium to light armor, most of your missile launchers are concentrated into 2 units that can't split up, so you run into overkill problems or the normal problems with Devastators (overpriced, static, cover laughs at them). It's not too hard to kill off 7 marines.

Nothing is particularly durable, you don't have much in the way of redundancies beyond your 3 Rhinos and 2 Dev Squads, and you have no real answer to heavy armor or strong assault units.

If you wanted a foot anti-mech list (which is dumb, tailoring against one specific build is as silly as throwing paper all game and hoping you don't run across scissors), Space Wolves would do it better.

Cruor Vault
11-19-2009, 02:55 PM
In addition to what Chumbalaya said.

You have no hammer unit. I see lots of units that might be considered an anvil, but nothing that will come in and smash an opposing unit. The closest thing I see is the 5 regular terminators, but lets all be honest here. Not too many people are going to be afraid of 5 terminators.

You need something like Sternguard, or Assault Terminators. Something that can conceivably wipe out 5-10 MeQ in a single phase. Also, while a Thunderfire is indeed entertaining its kind of useless, a single Lascannon or MM shot and its almost guaranteed to be removed. You would be better off with a Whirlwind, at least that get a roll on the damage chart which it might survive!

Edit: Also, if you plan on using combat squads on your Tacticals, why not bring a Razorback? only 5 more points and such a bargain!

Duke
11-19-2009, 03:48 PM
My two cents:

- Drop the lascannons and Hvy Bolters on the tac Squads and put in Multi meltas.
- Pick up some Razorbacks with TL hvy bolters (I love these things)
- The librarian is neat but like CV said you need a hammer squad with him, the termies could do it... But I think something like a plasma command Squad would be really tough, they could gate around eating MEQ in the open.
- Change the Bikes to be attack bikes and give them MM.

-As it is AV 14 will be your nightmare, with a few changes that could be a non-factor.

Duke

Saint Omerville
11-20-2009, 09:21 AM
I think you will do better with your Mech guard, the list you ran seems more solid.

I am not a huge fan of the Thunderfire or relying on your librarian to move things around the table.

The thunderfire usually fires once, at most, then is destroyed by high RoF, medium strength weapons.

I tell everyone planning for a tournament to bring some form of psychic defense, I do not think you can rely on most psykers in a tournament environment.

-Mike

mercer
11-23-2009, 07:01 AM
I would drop the power weapons on the sgt's and get two power fists instead. I ahve found fists to be better as they can smack walkers, armour & monstrous creatures. Power weapons can't. If you take melta bombs you need a 6 to hit with the walker, and you only get that one shot against a vehicle. And at the end of it you're only 5 points down from a power fist which can do so much more.

I would either split them into combat squads (tacticals). And change the rhinos for razorbacks. Or, if you don't want to get razorbacks or combat squad multi melta is the best. See you've got range with the weapons you've chosen and you cannot fire out of a rhino hatch when moving with a heavy weapon. So I would go M.M's for that reason as you need to travel to get them into range.

Dreadnought with the multi melta needs a drop pod. It can only move 6" and needs to get into the fight. Though if your taking a pod then it will need support. So I would make the other dreadnought with the same wargear and dropd pod, or both make them rifileman dreadnoughts.

Terminators should either deep strike in, or be in a land raider. The normal terminators you're taking will be better deep striking because they have some ranged fire power. Though, if they're deep striking then homing/locator beacons wouldn't go a-miss on your sgts in the tact squads and the cyclone isn't needed because you're already into the fight. I would go heavy flamer or assault cannon. I would only take the cyclone if you're walking, but that isn't a good idea as terminators belong in close combat.

Only one special per squad on the bikers, unless you mean your taking a multi melta attack bike or combi melta on the sgt?

I've never been a fan of devs because armour costs cheaper and with a tank you can move and shoot at least one weapon. With particular weapons like a imperial guard colossus the devs won't last long.

Never been a fan of a thunderfire cannon. Though I guess it depends what armies you play against.

Hope that helps :)

energongoodie
11-23-2009, 07:38 AM
Assault squad, assault squad, asault squad