PDA

View Full Version : Looking into FOW

scadugenga
06-30-2013, 09:21 PM
So the title really says it all.

Finally tried a demo of the game and it seems really interesting. Plus, there's a local club (16 or so folks) that plays regularly, and my group has partially bought into the game.

Is Open Fire really worth it? I seems odd you get a decent start at a German force, some Brit tanks, and some US infantry.

I'm guessing the OF box also doesn't come with the "Forces" book that the 3 volume 3rd edition rules has.

Also--are the 2nd ed sourcebooks valid for 3rd ed games? Are rules/stats tweaked somewhere?

Thanks!

Kirsten
07-01-2013, 04:08 AM
I bought the three book volume personally. I had the advantage of getting my hands on two full forces in a trade with someone so I didn't need any models. the three books are great though, they do a good job of explaining how the forces work. the hobby book is good but of course if you are an experienced hobbyist anyway, which is probable seeing as you are here, then it isn't vital.
the forces book is very useful, but I would also recommend easyarmy.com which has every army list to date available. you pay $1 per sourcebook to have an army creator program with everything you need.

scadugenga
07-04-2013, 08:09 PM
Thanks!

I don't think the new flgs has the 3 volume set. They do have the Open Fire box. I may piece-meal it. Not sure.

Kirsten
07-05-2013, 02:48 AM
Open Fire and the online army lists might be the easiest way to go I would say personally. it is a tough call though.

scadugenga
07-11-2013, 09:43 PM
Open Fire and the online army lists might be the easiest way to go I would say personally. it is a tough call though.

I just ordered the Open Fire box. A buddy who has FOW germans is trading me a box of Plastic Soldier 15mm Shermans (sadly, he bought the M4A2's, not the M4A3's I requested) for the german stuff so I'll have a legal force out the box, so to speak. (Tank company, but hey...easiest way to start!)

As long as the A2's look identical to A3's I should be good to go. Otherwise, I may exchange the box.

I'm digging Easy Army. Works well on the iPad or on the PC. Not as carry-all as the actual Forces book, but that's okay.

White Tiger88
07-11-2013, 10:30 PM
The Germans are so much more fun........ Mmmhmmmm Panthers,Tigers, King Tigers,Panzer 4...hehehehe

Kirsten
07-12-2013, 03:59 AM
the forces book is not complete anyway, doesn't have everything you need, is more of a get you started book. I got a british tank company in a trade, a full army. the guy didn't have the reference sheet that came with it to send me, and the cromwell tanks aren't in the forces book, so I needed Easy Army anyway.

scadugenga
07-12-2013, 06:16 AM
Germans have amazing tanks, yes. That's why so many folks seem to want to play them.

However, I love the M12 and Long Tom artillery.

Eventually (as long as we actually play the game) I'll evolve into a more combined arms force.

I'm seriously digging Easy Army. I've picked up them Turning Tide lists so far, and will probably focus on Blood Guts & Glory next.

If we move to mid war area, I'll look to a Desert Rats Brit force.