PDA

View Full Version : Squigs!

Melissia
11-12-2009, 08:11 PM
Some quick and dirty rules for including lots and lots of squigs and squig-based units in your games. Came up with this in five minutes, so it obviously needs work.

WS | BS | S | T | Wn | I | A | Ld | Sv | Points

Elite: Squig'ound Riders

3 | - | 3 | 4 | 2 | 2 | 2 | 10 | 6+ | 15
Infantry
Cavalry
Fearless
Furious Charge
Vicious Charge: If Squig'ound Riders moved 12" or more in the same turn they assault, their attacks that turn become Rending. However, if the unit fails to reach its assault target, it falls upon itself in a frenzy-- remove one model as a casualty.

Squad size: 3-15

Troops: Squig Swarm

3 | - | 3 | 4 | 3 | 2 | 3 | 10 | 6+ | 10
Infantry
Swarm
Fearless
Furious Charge
Overwhelm: May sacrifice one attack in order to reduce one enemy model's attacks by one. Each swarm may only sacrifice a maximum of one attack this way.
Comes with one Runt'erd for every three swarms, with the same stats as the grot entry's Runt'erd.

Squad size: 3-9

Fast Attack: Squig'ounds

3 | - | 3 | 4 | 1 | 2 | 2 | 10 | 6+ | 12
Infantry
Beasts
Fearless
Furious Charge

Squad size: 5-20

Heavy Support: Squiggoth

4 | 3 | 8 | 5 | 3 | 1 | 2 | 10 | 4+ | 60
Monstrous Creature
Fearless
Furious Charge

May purchase the following:
Kannon: 25
Lobba: 15
Zzap gun: 40

Squad size: 1-3

Master Bryss
11-13-2009, 10:28 AM
If you'll trust the wisdom of a new guy...

Am I correct in assuming it's Grotz riding the Squig'Ounds for the Riders?
I would have made the Zzap gun slightly cheaper due to its randomness, perhaps 30/35 points?

Also, squigs on their own might not do everything you tell them to, perhaps some rule to represent this? However, I'm not going to advise putting a Runtherd with the Fast Attack 'Ounds, a la Warp Beasts, as theres no way he'll keep up.

Melissia
11-13-2009, 03:43 PM
Yes, grots are intended to ride the squig'ounds.

I used the vehicle pricing for the zzap gun, but I can easily change it if people think it's overcosted.

As for squig unreliability... let's assume that these are attack squigs and that the squig'ounds are properly trained. I could make up rules for it, but fifth edition is moving away from whacky antics-- if I do add it in, it will need to be simple and yet not overwhelmingly bad.

person person
11-13-2009, 05:40 PM
We need some "D6 roll of a..." table randomness!

DarkLink
11-14-2009, 12:37 AM
How about adding this to the Vicious Charge: "However, if the unit fails to reach its assault target, it falls upon itself in a frenzy. Remove one model as a casualty."

Master Bryss
11-14-2009, 04:20 AM
After looking at the only two units in the Codex capable of taking a Zzap gun, it's either 5 or 10 points more than the Kannon. I don't have Imperial Armour 2 (paperback) so I don't know how much it costs in there. I'm going to say 35 points though. Also, I'm assuming the Squiggoth will take a wound if it overheats.

Melissia
11-14-2009, 07:44 AM
How about adding this to the Vicious Charge: "However, if the unit fails to reach its assault target, it falls upon itself in a frenzy. Remove one model as a casualty."

Hrm. I think that might work.

the one
11-14-2009, 10:16 AM
We need some "D6 roll of a..." table randomness!

How about squig eats gretchin roll a d6 for effect:
1: Urrrrrrrg- The gretchin was out of date. d3 squigs take a wound.
2: Nrrrrrrrg- The squig refuces to eat the gretchin. No effects this turn and the gretchin lives.
3: Urrrrrrrh- The squigs eyes widen with eating gretchin. +1 attack and intitive for till next your turn.
4: Maaaarh- The squig looks at the runtherd adorably (well for an ork) and it make him easier to order them around. + 2d6" movement and +d6" charge for this turn.
5: Growl!!!- The squig fells a deep evil in it's soul, or whatever. +d6 attack and intitive then d3 squigs take a wound. This only applies when in combat.
6: ROAR!!- Same as above but no die.

Sitnam
11-14-2009, 01:14 PM
Hmm. Maybe you can add squig mounts for Warbosses and Big Meks, something like a Snakebite tribal leader.

Melissia
11-14-2009, 01:31 PM
That might work, Sitnam. I'd have to work at it though.

No thanks, The One, it's just too much IMO. The unit should be useful and serious, not whacky and moronic. I don't believe the Orks are a race to be laughed at, and I wouldn't want to encourage such thoughts.

DarkLink
11-14-2009, 05:02 PM
That might work, Sitnam. I'd have to work at it though.

No thanks, The One, it's just too much IMO. The unit should be useful and serious, not whacky and moronic. I don't believe the Orks are a race to be laughed at, and I wouldn't want to encourage such thoughts.

I have to agree. Random ability tables don't make for competitive units, and non competitive units don't get taken that much. Look at how much people dislike Possessed, even though they're actually decent even without the random powers.

Melissia
11-14-2009, 05:31 PM
added Fearless, which was always my intent in the first place. The Squig'ound Riders are only fearless because they don't want to get off (and thus potentially get eaten by) their fearless mounts.