PDA

View Full Version : WolfGuard vs. Honor Guard

MightyOrang
11-12-2009, 08:51 PM
Just thinking out loud ... wolfguard with power weapons = 28 points of A4 LD9 SV3+ on the charge

Honor Guard = 35 points of A5 LD10 SV2+ on the charge

so ... what're the compartive advantages of the two? (setting aside the obvious fact that they're in 2 different armies)

WG

1. Cheaper
2. Can upgrade (for more points) to Terminator armor (then you're at 38 pts each)
3. Can take 3 squads of them without paying for a unique hero

HG

1. Artificer armor = sweeping advance
2. A5 on the charge
3. LD 10

Chumbalaya
11-12-2009, 10:39 PM
Honor Guard have no invuls or ablative wounds, they're garbage.

DarkLink
11-12-2009, 10:42 PM
I'd go with Wolfguard. In terminator armor they're 33pts base, and have way, way better options for further upgrades. IIRC, you get better access to combi-weapons, as well.

PhoenixFlame
11-12-2009, 11:08 PM
I'd go with Wolfguard. In terminator armor they're 33pts base, and have way, way better options for further upgrades. IIRC, you get better access to combi-weapons, as well.

Any Wolf Guard may replace his CCWep and/or Pistol with a combi- flamer, melta or plasma for 5pts
[I only listed the Combi weapon upgrades]
So in theory you could take two combi-weapons with one GW for 10pts total.

burning crome
11-19-2009, 05:42 PM
Any Wolf Guard may replace his CCWep and/or Pistol with a combi- flamer, melta or plasma for 5pts
[I only listed the Combi weapon upgrades]
So in theory you could take two combi-weapons with one GW for 10pts total.

you could only fire one per turn mind

burning crome
11-19-2009, 06:11 PM
The problem with honour guard is you can’t buy them at 35pts. You need to cough up the 45pts for the company champion how dose get an extra attack but his “honour or death” is a bit of a mixed blessing since you might be better off trying to wipe out or brake the unit any IC is with, instead of going after him alone since they normally are both tougher and have Inv saves. Also taking the HG a bit of a problem. You’ve either got to get the overpriced master of the chapter (all generic SM IC apart form the lib are rubbish in my option) or take pedro or marneus. Pedro pretty cool but his extra attack dose not stack with the HG banner which is a would be a major advantage in big squads. And marneus is again over costed but very cool. So to get these guy in you have to almost build list around them and that before you add transport. It works out by my maths for a full squad in LRR or LRC (using 250 so the LRR would get a MM) with pedro at 785.
Compare that to the WG where a basic 9 squad with a wolf lord ( factored in 50pts of upgrades )in a pod come in at around 350. So you can take two of these squads and still have 85pts to spend on kitting them out to what you want for the same over all cost and slots.