PDA

View Full Version : Help

Joey Boor
08-01-2009, 03:13 PM
I just started a Warriors of Chaos army and I have been having some difficulty. I tried an all Khorne army with 2 Tzeench sorcerers and a Khorne hero. I got beaten badly. Then I changed to an all Nurgle army with 2 Nurgle sorcerers and a Nurgle hero. This I have had more luck with. I need some suggestions for this army. I currently have: 5 hero models(I use them for both heroes and sorcerers), 12 warriors, 20 marauders, 5 knights and I will have a model to use as Galrauch or a Lord on Dragon within a week.

Randroid
08-02-2009, 11:09 AM
What are you losing to?

Joey Boor
08-02-2009, 02:06 PM
Dark Elves. Magic heavy dark elves.

iamaddj
08-03-2009, 11:01 AM
No offense, but I think you need to buy a real army, you are so limited in what you can field by your models that there is not much advice we can give you? What pts are you playing at right now?

npullan
08-04-2009, 08:08 AM
Warriors are a hard army to win with.

Take some Marauder horsemen. Make sure to not take a champ. And then kamikaze units with sorceresses and allocate onto them. Once you kill 1 or 2 level 2s then you should have enough magic defence to get on an equal footing.

Joey Boor
08-04-2009, 04:43 PM
I just started. I play at 1250 for now. I will make the jump to 2250 soon though. Why take Marauder Horsemen? I use knights to do the same job but with more of a chance to wipe the unit.

Nikephoros
08-04-2009, 05:17 PM
I just started. I play at 1250 for now. I will make the jump to 2250 soon though. Why take Marauder Horsemen? I use knights to do the same job but with more of a chance to wipe the unit.

Marauder Horsemen are core. Take knights AND horsemen. Unfortunately Chaos Warriors are not a strong core choice.

VinceBlack
08-04-2009, 05:55 PM
The limited amount of points you have to field is hurting you alot. A few friends and I played warbands with escalation. I play O&G and my roomie plays WoC. The lower point games were just brutal massacures against my army. You just cant put enough powerful numbers on the field to win combats. As the points began to increase closer to 2000+ an obvious shift began to occure. From my observation WoC function best at 2000+ points. They are just too darn expensive to run efficiently at low points.

Randroid
08-04-2009, 08:43 PM
Warriors are a hard army to win with.

Huh!? Compared to what!?

Honestly, not trying to be a dick I have just never heard that said.

npullan
08-06-2009, 07:40 AM
Huh!? Compared to what!?

Honestly, not trying to be a dick I have just never heard that said.

Really?

Warriors are just too small. You have to build a TIGHT list or you run the risk of getting overrun. It doesn't matter that you're guys are hugely powerful if they get hit in both flanks.

Unlike other elite armies, Warriors can't get enough units unless you build them right.

The most effective armies for Warriors are those which take LOTS of smaller units to help them deal with movement. Hounds, Marauder Horsemen, Chariots, etc.

If you build the most obvious Warriors + Knights = Win army, then you end up dropping games against any opponent who can capitalize on your small number of units and limited mobility.

At least that's what all the Warriors players in my area (TONS of them) say. I personally play all kinds of Elves.

Joey Boor
08-06-2009, 09:31 AM
Marauder Horsemen are core. Take knights AND horsemen. Unfortunately Chaos Warriors are not a strong core choice.

Since when are Chaos Warriors not a strong choice? I see the horsemen as an annoyance. Marauders and Horsemen are entirely too fragile for my army. I fight a lot of ranged armies so if I try to advance my marauders they get eaten by bows. The armor I can give them is negated by the armor piercing repeater crossbows I always fight.

I got the Galrauch model yesterday so I am at 2250 now. What should I save for next?

VinceBlack
08-06-2009, 10:30 AM
Again I play O&G and I too thought that goblin wolf riders were a waste of points until I went to a tournament and watched a veteran player use them. The huge advantage of your marauder horsemen is their speed, the fact that they are fast cavalry so they can change form during move and don’t have to wheel, and they are cheap. I use my goblin wolf riders to force unwanted charges and to be even nastier when I do I put them at a 45 degree angle in order to make the charging unit expose their flank. They are so cheap that you don’t care if they get smooshed as long as they can disrupt enemies. They can also slow enemy, since you can’t march if an enemy is too close to a unit and they can threaten flanks, since it only takes 3 horsemen to break ranks. Would never run another O&G list without wolf riders and I suggest you take 1-2 5 man cheap squads.

Just remember their utility... don’t think of every unit looking to own face but supporting your other units... Just having troops that can threaten flanks from a ridiculous distance is a deterrent for your opponent. Also if your opponent shoots them great because who cares if they live or die? gauge you distances and give them choices they don't want to make.

Hope this help a bit.

Nikephoros
08-06-2009, 03:47 PM
Since when are Chaos Warriors not a strong choice?

Since the new army book came out. They are very expensive and very slow. The meat of your army (knights) are significantly faster and leave the warriors in the dust. Warriors are pretty cool, but not tourney competitive.

iamaddj
08-06-2009, 10:45 PM
Marauder horsemen are pretty awesome they are great for screening and redirecting things. Really what it sounds like is you have been buying a lot of the big heroes and expensive units, when you might want to focus on building up your core units. I would suggest getting some more warriors and maybe some marauder horsemen.

HammerofVaul
08-07-2009, 12:05 AM
I heavily second the notion of marauder horsemen. They are definitely a beat-stick unit, but it can give you a HUGE tactical edge through fleeing charges, march blocking, or even in protecting your armies flanks from opposing fast cavalry. Or if you want, kit 'em out with shields and light armor and use 'em to flank. I would also suggest Warhounds, as they are one of the single greatest units in the game.

npullan
08-07-2009, 08:11 AM

I would also suggest Warhounds, as they are one of the single greatest units in the game.

Seconded.

Our local WoC player takes 4 min sized squads. Turn 1 they march into every table quarter and he leaves them there. Always a nuissance to have your success turn into victory because he owns / contests every table quarter.

It also means that you have to spend precious magic and shooting to kill a worthless unit.

Joey Boor
08-07-2009, 11:42 AM
Marauder horsemen are pretty awesome they are great for screening and redirecting things. Really what it sounds like is you have been buying a lot of the big heroes and expensive units, when you might want to focus on building up your core units. I would suggest getting some more warriors and maybe some marauder horsemen.

I have actually only bought 1 hero model. I traded 10 hounds on the sprue for the others.

My next purchase will probably be another battalion then.

Randroid
08-07-2009, 06:39 PM
Gotta love Fast Cav - Horsemen are so cheap and versatile it is outrageous. Certainly consider a unit or two of them if you are going Knight heavy.

Joey Boor
08-08-2009, 07:21 AM
I will have to take a look at them.

iamaddj
08-09-2009, 12:24 PM
Another Battalion Box sounds like the best buy for you at this point.

L192837465
08-11-2009, 08:23 AM
WoC can win, it's just you have to go all out. At 2250, run a lord with fighty kit on a steed in a unit of 6 or 7 knights (6 so you go 7 wide. unwieldy but a CRAPSHOOT of attacks) and use warriors as your anvil, kitting them appropriately. use dogs to screen your warriors as they march forwards (equip the Warriors with shields) and you have 3 heroes and about 800 points to fill 2 more core in and get some real punch going.I also HIGHLY recommend 2 units of knights. double the trouble!

Don't take Galraugh, he is awful. that is all.

\Also, make your thread titles more descriptive in the future. Thanks!

bigmackdadd
09-01-2009, 09:32 PM
More warriors, The warriors are the core of the army, your army will usually consist of like 4 heroes, then MORE WARRIORS, a block of marauders, and some knights, knights rock, but you will be spanked due to your extreme lack of warriors, so get more, heroes may be fun, but it is supposed to be more than just a few heroes, and also fantasy is a tough game to learn, but it is good to have warriors, they are sturdy, strong, and good at armor save, and having the numbers which your army lacks horribly at this point is nice, marauders are good, but its hard to make an army around them, believe me im working on my 2k marauder army, but seriously its WARRIORS of chaos, NOT heroes of chaos, so i mean, you need more men, in particularly something that hits hard, and warriors are an amazing choice

Warmaster
09-03-2009, 12:36 PM
I have to agree with what everyone else is saying you really need some marauder horseman and hounds. I always start off every WoC army I build with 2 units of hounds and 2 units of marauder horseman w/ flails, light armor. For 220pts it's amazing the amount of versatility it adds to your army.