PDA

View Full Version : 2010 Schedule Whispers

Bigred
11-15-2009, 09:30 PM
Lots of crazy talk on various forums this weekend. Here is a rundown of what the community hivemind is trying to piece together from the intermittant chatter out there:

January: Tyranids
February: Beastmen
March-May: Blood Angels
June-July: Fantasy 8th Edition Rulebook
September: Fantasy 8th Edition Boxed Set
Fall: 40K mystery codex: ~hints regarding it are:
-"Blood Angels are only half of the story"
-"fleet based marines"
-"very nice stuff winging its way in our direction"

There is talk of 3 codices in 2010 for 40k
General dispositions of various 40k armies awaiting new codices are described as:
-Necrons: Deep in the development cycle
-Dark Eldar: Deep in the development cycle
-Grey Knights: Work started
-Witchhunters: Work Started

On the Fantasy front, Tomb Kings and Orks&Goblins are getting a certain level of chatter out there.

~Now as with all of this stuff, serious caveats apply and there is quite possibly another 1-2 armybooks/codices in there for 2010. This stuff starts off solid and goes to soft as the dates go out. On the Necron/Dark Eldar front, the Necrons are obviously an easier update that the Eldar who are reportedly recieving a complete top-to-bottom update of their range.

entendre_entendre
11-15-2009, 09:43 PM
thanks bigred, it's nice to see an easy to read layout of upcoming releases. :)

is GW doing a "fall mystery" thing? first space hulk, now this mystery marines chapter...

Aenir
11-15-2009, 09:44 PM
lets hope its Dark Angels!

they are fleet based as their home "planet" is now a flying rock!!

Aegis
11-15-2009, 10:04 PM
I would like to see something not marines for the mystery, frankly. But, alas, who am I to the selling power that is marines...

DarkLink
11-15-2009, 10:08 PM

Even if it will be at least a year or so before they finish, at least, this just made my day :D

BS FADE
11-15-2009, 10:23 PM
well the fleet thing could also literally mean a space marine chapter based in a fleet (as in ships) which could be black templars.

But the wing thing is kinda deathwing hinting.

KSteinhil
11-15-2009, 10:35 PM
Word has it Legion of the Damned......not sure when. Was going to start my own and buy from ebay but a store manager said to wait...so we will see....

Xas
11-16-2009, 01:16 AM

do they mean "fleet" as in "the marines live in spaceships" or as in "the marine army centers around the fleet of foot spcial rule"?

Vorlon
11-16-2009, 01:24 AM
Owner of my local gaming store said he wasnt going to order anymore metal Kasrkin sets due to a "reliable source" saying the plastic Vets/storm troopers/kasrkin box set would be out soon. *shrugs*

warpcrafter
11-16-2009, 01:59 AM
So, which armies will be in the 8th edition WFB boxed set? I want to get it already, but I don't want to get stuck with a bunch of little plastic dudes that I have no intention of using in an army.

pgarfunkle
11-16-2009, 03:57 AM
Vorlon I heard similar earlier in the year from my local GW about the Storm Troopers appearing sometime in the new year.

Lord Azaghul
11-16-2009, 07:56 AM
The fantasty box set is rumor to be O&G and Empire.

Oh my that's a lot of books for one year...play testing anyone?

the one
11-16-2009, 08:18 AM
I want one of everything! Wish I won that prize in the online raffle. Dribbles...

Dunadan
11-16-2009, 09:35 AM
-"fleet based marines"

Angels of Death is back, w00t!

Brass Scorpion
11-16-2009, 09:42 AM
If the new starter set has Empire and Orcs and some of the Empire models are Greatswords that would surely sell a lot of starter sets to existing Empire collectors.

oni
11-16-2009, 09:46 AM
My predictions are that fall will herald in a new Dark Angels codex. I can only hope that Dark Eldar get pushed so far back that GW gives up and cuts their losses on them.

Brass Scorpion
11-16-2009, 09:59 AM
Honestly, I'm not that optimistic about a Dark Angels Codex being on the horizon. The existing book is not that old though it seems like it is compared to every Codex to come after it. The one thing in favor of a quick revision on that one is simply that Dark Angels now have great looking plasitc sets and conversion sprues for the already popular Space Marine range and the DA plastics would certainly sell a lot better if the Codex was as exciting as the current Codex Space Marines.

Lord Azaghul
11-16-2009, 10:02 AM
If the new starter set has Empire and Orcs and some of the Empire models are Greatswords that would surely sell a lot of starter sets to existing Empire collectors.

I'm a dwarf and greenskin player - I had empire once, but didn't really get a good 'feel' for the army - if they placed great swords in there I would be tempted to rebuild my empire army (I still have a small force I didn't want to get rid of) - as is -there is no way I'm paying 42$ for 10 plastic men (nor am I paying 57$ for a plastic steam tank) - I don't care how cool the kit is!

DarkLink
11-16-2009, 10:49 AM
Angels of Death is back, w00t!

I'm pretty sure someone killed this idea when those rumors first came out.

MarshalAdamar
11-16-2009, 11:14 AM
Lots of crazy talk on various forums this weekend. Here is a rundown of what the community hivemind is trying to piece together from the intermittent chatter out there:

-"fleet based marines"

General dispositions of various 40k armies awaiting new codices are described as:

I really hope that they get a new Black Templars codex out. I love them but they could use some love. So I'm holding out hope that we'll be in the "fleet based marines"

I am looking forward to a new Necron codex! I can get my shiny metal killers out of the closet!

And Witch hunters, I've wanted to play them for a long time but I'm boycotting the all metal mini range for them.

I'm holding out hope that they will get plastics when the new codex comes out.

Sangre
11-16-2009, 12:09 PM
Fleet Based Marines would be the hotness. Also chuffed to hear that the Dark Eldar and Necron codices are on the way.

Melissia
11-16-2009, 01:08 PM
It annoys me that you list Daemonhunters as Grey Knights but don't list Witch Hunters as Sisters of Battle. C:WH is more a Sisters of Battle codex than C:DH is a Grey Knights codex...

Duke
11-16-2009, 01:11 PM
Obviously Im really looking forward to Codex Blood Angels... The Fleet based marine comment as well as the 'winging their way..." could regard the BA.

Duke

Lerra
11-16-2009, 01:34 PM
My bet is that the "fleet-based" marines winging it our way are the Raven Guard, and GW is referring to the Forgeworld Raven Guard dex that is coming in Imperial Armour 8. Shrike gives all Raven Guard Fleet of Foot, so it would make sense that a Raven Guard codex would be "fleet-based".

A GW rep was quoted saying that neither Dark Angels or Black Templar are on the table right now. I'm hoping that GW is not releasing a new RG chapter dex when there are so many codices that need updating, but I guess with the new forgeworld models for Raven Guard coming soon, plus RG as a major focus in IA8 it is possible.

Lord Azaghul
11-16-2009, 01:38 PM
IF gw is releasing another Marines army - then the ranting threat should be changed from "why do you hate ultramarines; to: why do you hate marines!"

I think the last think the game needs is another marine variant list...lets get some more interesting armies out there ( I know squats are still hiding somewhere in the grim dark!:p)

Orkimedes
11-16-2009, 02:04 PM
With all the recent nostalgia that GW has been digging up and reissuing I have to say I believe that the reference to Blood Angels being "Half of the Story" refers to a BA/DA style Codex: Angels of Death. If you have the 2nd edition codex then you know to what I refer. There was also the "wing" comment thrown out there that seems to fit. Maybe I'm way off the mark but you never know...sometimes old is new again!

My prediction for 3rd 40k codex after Tyranids, Angels of Death, is either Tau or a specialized Chaos Codex (they have been hinting more heavily at this btw).

andrewm9
11-16-2009, 02:49 PM
My money is on there being a Blood Ravens codex. We've heard rumor that they will doing one "sometime before 6th is out" Their name could work since they are largely fleet based and have wings int heir name so to speak. I say this becuase we've been told that Dark Angels nad Black Templars aren't soon, so becuae GW loves Marines we will likely get another Marine codex, which while cool and all we don't really need one.

Duke
11-16-2009, 03:24 PM
Though i like the general idea of a Blood Ravens Codex I have to say this: NO MORE MARINE VARIENT CODECIES. Sure BA are coming around the corner, but there are a few marines codecies that need updating, not to mention all non-marine codecies.

Duke

Dosadi
11-16-2009, 03:25 PM
I would not bet on a Blood Raven Codex. They exist within the DoW setting and were cross promoted by GW when the game was released. Don't look for much more about them.

A fleet based chapter? Arn't the Dark Angels fleet based? :p

Dosadi

oni
11-16-2009, 03:31 PM
$$$ says "fleet based marines" = Blood Ravens.

oni
11-16-2009, 03:35 PM
I would not bet on a Blood Raven Codex. They exist within the DoW setting and were cross promoted by GW when the game was released. Don't look for much more about them.

A fleet based chapter? Arn't the Dark Angels fleet based? :p

Dosadi

Not really. They had a home world, but it was "destroyed", basically it was reduced to a meteor on which they build their fortress monastery.

Duke
11-16-2009, 03:46 PM
@Dosadi: It depends on what defenition of fleet we are using
1. Fleet based = The chapter is based from a fleet of warships
2. Fleet based = The chapter uses the rules "Fleet," as a part of their codex.

Duke

DarkLink
11-16-2009, 05:38 PM
It annoys me that you list Daemonhunters as Grey Knights but don't list Witch Hunters as Sisters of Battle. C:WH is more a Sisters of Battle codex than C:DH is a Grey Knights codex...

Yeah, I kinda hope they move away from all the circus freak Inquisition stuff, and focus on the Grey Knights and Sisters, the actual military forces of the Inquisition. IST's and Inquisitors themselves are more than enough inquisition for me, I want more Grey Knights :D

Melissia
11-16-2009, 05:54 PM
I wouldn't mind a bit more freakshow Ecclesiarchy stuff. Some Frateris Militia would be just awesome.

DarkLink
11-16-2009, 07:28 PM
I hope that they don't include that stuff to the exclusion of Grey Knights, mostly. The current codex has 5 GK units; Heroes, Terminators, GK's, Land Raiders and Dreadnoughts. Your unit choice for Grey Knights is limited to Terminators in Land Raiders, or normal GK's in Land Raiders, and maybe a Dreadnought if you have points and a free heavy slot open.

slxiii
11-16-2009, 08:39 PM
I've heard quite a bit about Tau coming out around Necrons, but with 4 human factions and 3 xenos factions, plus the talk about a new non-codex chapter, prospects are looking pretty dim...

Harry
11-17-2009, 12:55 AM
Lots of crazy talk on various forums this weekend. Here is a rundown of what the community hivemind is trying to piece together from the intermittant chatter out there:

-"fleet based marines"

On the Fantasy front, Tomb Kings and Orks&Goblins are getting a certain level of chatter out there.

~Now as with all of this stuff, serious caveats apply and there is quite possibly another 1-2 armybooks/codices in there for 2010. This stuff starts off solid and goes to soft as the dates go out. On the Necron/Dark Eldar front, the Necrons are obviously an easier update that the Eldar who are reportedly recieving a complete top-to-bottom update of their range.
If you are going to use so much of my stuff to inform your posts (80-90% of the above) and quote me more than once (and I really don't mind) would it not be better to link directly to my posts on Warseer or quote what I said so folks can read exactly what was said and the context in which it was said rather than a paraphrased version, which because of the nature of chinese whispers becomes less accurate.

Certainly when I quoted on Warseer something from Dosadi that I had read on here I credited both Dosadi and this site. You are usually very good about quoting sources?

There is another release before Blood Angels.
and I said definitely three codex releases and possibly four if everything goes to plan.
I suggested both Necrons and DE were about half way through the process and both are at least a year away. "deep in the development cycle" makes them sound a good bit closer.

All the best,
Harry

Grie
11-17-2009, 02:41 AM
If you are going to use so much of my stuff to inform your posts (80-90% of the above) and quote me more than once (and I really don't mind) would it not be better to link directly to my posts on Warseer or quote what I said so folks can read exactly what was said and the context in which it was said rather than a paraphrased version, which because of the nature of chinese whispers becomes less accurate.

Certainly when I quoted on Warseer something from Dosadi that I had read on here I credited both Dosadi and this site. You are usually very good about quoting sources?

There is another release before Blood Angels.
and I said definitely three codex releases and possibly four if everything goes to plan.
I suggested both Necrons and DE were about half way through the process and both are at least a year away. "deep in the development cycle" makes them sound a good bit closer.

All the best,
Harry

So I am going to guess the other side of the story could be 1 of two different codexes Blood Ravens or Raven Guard(Maybe I am wrong on both) but with BT and DA shot down at GD Italy it's nether of them. And with the hint "winging" then it might be possible, and the fact that GW said they wanted to do BR. But I am thinking that there isn't going to be a fall Codex release with 4 codexes being released in the beginning of the year. Heck the one before the BA could be a Fantasy codex, Chaos Dwarves maybe?

Melissia
11-17-2009, 08:43 AM
I hope that they don't include that stuff to the exclusion of Grey Knights, mostly. The current codex has 5 GK units; Heroes, Terminators, GK's, Land Raiders and Dreadnoughts. Your unit choice for Grey Knights is limited to Terminators in Land Raiders, or normal GK's in Land Raiders, and maybe a Dreadnought if you have points and a free heavy slot open.

The Grey Knights and Sisters of Battle will be in two separate codices. So adding in some Frateris Militia to the Sisters of Battle codex won't hurt the Grey Knights in any way shape or form.

Another minor, nitpicky thing, I hope they call it Codex: Adepta Sororitas.

Because C:SoB has many unfortuante connotations.

DarkLink
11-17-2009, 09:04 AM
Yeah, the Sisters codex is pretty well set for units as it is, all GW needs to do is update the rules and toss in a few more units. In the current DH codex, though, the Grey Knights got the short end of the stick, and it would be very nice if it didn't happen again.

Lord Azaghul
11-17-2009, 09:16 AM
I would be willing to bet that is gw rereleases SOB and GK, that one of them will lose allies (probably sisters but maybe both of them). In fantasy gw is weeding out all armies that are allowed to do any mixing (taking dogs of war units), and just excluding the option from the newer books.

I think the best way to increase play of either army is to create there troops in plastic.

steeldragon
11-17-2009, 09:47 AM
So I am going to guess the other side of the story could be 1 of two different codexes Blood Ravens or Raven Guard(Maybe I am wrong on both) but with BT and DA shot down at GD Italy it's nether of them. And with the hint "winging" then it might be possible, and the fact that GW said they wanted to do BR. But I am thinking that there isn't going to be a fall Codex release with 4 codexes being released in the beginning of the year. Heck the one before the BA could be a Fantasy codex, Chaos Dwarves maybe?

I don't think Raven Guard is a current option since they will be featured on the next Imperial Armour...

Andres

MarshalAdamar
11-17-2009, 11:27 AM
I didn't hear that the Black Templars got shot down at Games day Italy. (Boo) Can someone confirm or deny this for me?

But I would love to see a Blood Ravens codex.

And please, please, please Oh great and unmerciful gods of GW can we get some Sob and GK updates.

I'm chomping at the bit to have a Sob army but I simply refuse because all the models are metal and the codex was written some time around the first printing of Moby Dick for crying out side.

Lerra
11-17-2009, 11:35 AM
It was confirmed that neither BT or DA are on the table right now. I'll see if I can find the link.

DarkLink
11-17-2009, 12:00 PM
I would be willing to bet that is gw rereleases SOB and GK, that one of them will lose allies (probably sisters but maybe both of them). In fantasy gw is weeding out all armies that are allowed to do any mixing (taking dogs of war units), and just excluding the option from the newer books.

I think the best way to increase play of either army is to create there troops in plastic.

Gk's will need a power boost, too, though. Gk armies actually aren't too expensive money wise, because you can only afford to bring a handful of models in game :rolleyes:.

Duke
11-17-2009, 12:33 PM
Like I said before, GW really needs to get out updates on the older codecies... No new armies please.

Duke

Melissia
11-17-2009, 01:05 PM
Sisters can withstand losing the Allies rules, Grey Knights, however, would need a lot more work to be able to do that. If either or both lose their allies/inductions rules, however, they need a VAST expansion of their lists to put them up to snuff with C:SM and C:IG.

Duke
11-17-2009, 01:13 PM
In my experience the only reason those two armies (more specifically C: DH) need allies is because the codex doesn't stand alone very well at all. With DH the solution makes sense.

DH:
1. Make GK a bit cheaper
2. Give GK some decent heavy Support options (good selection of Standard marine heavy options)
3. Allow GK's to use Rhinos and Razorbacks for gods sake.
4. Some different Elite options

My opinion on WH is less informed, mostly from playing against them and seeing weaknesses.
1. better heavy support options
2. improve the penitent engine.
3. slightly cheaper sisters.

duke

Melissia
11-17-2009, 01:30 PM
And I insist: If GW removes Allies/Inductions from the lists, then they should increase the size of the lists to roughly equivalent of all the other fifth edition codices. Right now, Grey Knights have seven choices in total.

1 HQ choice (split into two different types)
1 Elite choice
1 Troops choice
1 FA choice which is a copy of the troops choice
3 HS choices

The Sisters have the following, not including Ecclesiarchal units:

1 HQ choice (split into two different types)
2 Elite choices
1 Troops choice
2 FA choices
3 HS choices (one of which doesn't really count IMO...)

Including Ecclesiarchal units would add in 1 Elite, one HS, and one attatchable Elite that isn't an actual Elites choice.

Compare that to C:SM. Not including special characters and variations of the same unit such as dreads and land raiders...

5 HQ choices
5 Elites choicse
2 Troops choices (not including bikes)
6 FA choices
6 HS choices

C:IG has the following:

5 HQ choices
4 Elites choices
3 Troops choices (not including various units within the platoon)
6 FA choices
8 HS choices (not including leman russ variants)

You can see what I mean, right? C:WH and C:DH are paltry in comparison to fifth edition codices.

Asymmetrical Xeno
11-17-2009, 02:48 PM
I'd rather the sisters had the focus on the sisters anyway, just give them some new units to make up for the loss of allies. I think theres more than can be done with pure sisters anyhow.

RocketRollRebel
11-17-2009, 02:48 PM
If they remove the allies rules that would allow them to move things like Penitent Engines and GK Dreads to Elites as well which would be a nice improvement. I'm glad to see some more substantial rumors regarding an inquisition release date.

Melissia
11-17-2009, 05:33 PM
Of course there's more that can be done. That's what my own homebrewed codex is attempting to do.

imperialsavant
11-17-2009, 05:34 PM
I'd rather the sisters had the focus on the sisters anyway, just give them some new units to make up for the loss of allies. I think theres more than can be done with pure sisters anyhow.

I totally agree! I have played Sisters since 3rd edition & the original codex & they really need some more HS Tank type choices. The Exorcist is OK but should be given the "indirect fire" plus the option of a Template missile as well as the current one.
The Immys need to be upgraded to Hellhound specs for both Armour & range. Of course our points for Rhinos, Immys etc should be lowered to compair with the SM points for Rhinos & Razorbacks.

The Sisters should be given at least one long range weapon for troops with about 48" range & the inferno pistol should have its range increased to 12"

Otherwise Sisters can still be effective under 5th as I won my last 2 games, one against Necrons on Kill Points 7 to 3 & one a 4 way battle for a central objective against Space Wolves, Blood Angels & Iron Hands 1000 Pts each army.

Melissia
11-17-2009, 05:48 PM
My W/L ratio is about 1.5:1 at the moment, with the occasional draw. I know Sisters aren't by any means weak... my main thing is that I don't want options to be taken away from me without being recompensed in return.

DarkLink
11-17-2009, 07:37 PM
Yeah, I liked your expanded Sisters list, Melissia.

I also just had an interesting idea, regarding exorcists and indirect fire. What if you could combine the fire from multiple exorcists into a single barrage, kind of like how Fire Prisms work. It would be like multiple whirlwinds, only with exorcist missile launchers. Just an idea, but I think its pretty cool.

As for Grey Knights, they can certainly be expanded.

They should get a 2 wound HQ, similar to a chaplain or librarian type, in addition to the current Brother Captain and Grand Master.

They're an elite army, so it couldn't be too hard to think up an alternative elite choice to GK Terminators, which have a unique role. Dreadnoughts should probably be elite, too.

A unique Dreadnought would be awesome. The unit name Paladin Dreadnought just sounds cool.

Basic GK troops are very flexible. Just add some new weapon and upgrade options to the unit, and that's all we really need.

Teleport Attack Grey Knights should have Heroic Intervention and Gate of Infinity. Sure, they'd be expensive, but they'd be so awesome and fluffy :D.

Land Raiders are cool already, just give Purgation squads a boost.

And on top of all that, it shouldn't be too hard to make up a few more units in various slots, and viola, new codex.

I'm proud to say that I'm at just below a 1:1 w/l ratio with my Grey Knights (best estimate), despite the rock-hard armies some of the competition in my college gaming group takes. I do take some allied Sisters pretty often, though.

RocketRollRebel
11-17-2009, 08:31 PM
Paladin dread sounds badass indeed. No idea what sorta special rules it would have but I like the name :p

Maybe some sort of melta or AT weapon for GK but I agree with keeping them super elite. Make them over the top rules and stats wise but keeping them small in numbers to balance it out.

DarkLink
11-17-2009, 09:38 PM
Paladin dread sounds badass indeed. No idea what sorta special rules it would have but I like the name :p

Maybe some sort of melta or AT weapon for GK but I agree with keeping them super elite. Make them over the top rules and stats wise but keeping them small in numbers to balance it out.

Yeah, I'm not sure what it would be like either. I wanted a Dread varient, and thought up the name, but haven't been able to decide on a particular direction to go with it. I kinda though making it actually good against Monstrous Creatures would be nice (and make total sense), as MC's rip Dreadnoughts apart in CC. Not sure how to do it, though.

Just thought of this: Paladin Dreadnought with a massive Storm Shield:D!

Jokubas
11-18-2009, 07:00 PM

That would be awesome.

A lot of people would tell me to not get my hopes up with this, but I will, kinda. Honestly, rumors like this are the only thing keeping me around Warhammer at the moment (I've been hanging around here a bit, but it took this to make me post). I really want to like the game, but I don't have as many people to play it with anymore, and I'm just so bored of my army. As it is though, Daemonhunters are pretty much the only army that really attracts me, so I look forward to even the slightest bit of news on them. It's not like getting my hopes up is really going to do anything good or bad for me anyway, aside from encouraging me to finish what I have :) (even if this is a year or two off).

I really like the unstoppable, holy warrior image of the Daemonhunters (and Grey Knights in particular), but I got sick of them within the first year or less. My problem isn't the army itself, but it's lack of variety. After I got to know the game, I felt ripped off that everyone had all these neat options, and I pretty much only have Grey Knights, unless I want to induct allies. If I wanted to play Space Marines or Imperial Guard, I would have bought them! (Nothing against them either, they are pretty cool, just not my cup of tea).

And I know a lot of people are afraid that if Daemonhunters get Assault troops or Bikers, they'd be indistinguishable from a "normal" Space Marine chapter, but I really want them. :p
With the right imagery, like these Sky Lancers: http://sttheo.deviantart.com/art/grey-knight-sky-lancer-141143673 I can't help but feel they fit right in.

If they did do it after all, I wouldn't mind a combined Codex in principle (and I'd really like the fact that it would cut down on the number of things they have to regularly update), but I'd be afraid it'd prevent the very variety I want out of a new Codex. Likewise, I think a lot a really neat stuff could be done with more Radical options, but I'm pretty much pure Grey Knights.

My ideal new Codex would primarily be about adding a swath of new options for both Radical armies and Grey Knights, even if that meant no more Allies. I'd love to see a new Dreadnought type, at least Venerable or Ironclad, but a unique "Paladin" one would fly off the shelf and into my house in a second. :P

Melissia
11-18-2009, 11:05 PM
I know it's a long shot, but I hope that, when GW updates the Sisters, they change their looks a bit so that they're less dominatrix and more holy warrior.

Maybe something like this:

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a28/melissiablackheart/th_Adepta_Sororitas_by_FirstKeeper.jpg (http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a28/melissiablackheart/Adepta_Sororitas_by_FirstKeeper.jpg)
(click the thumbnail for a full image)

imperialsavant
11-18-2009, 11:25 PM

;) How about a special Ageis Shrouding that works in Close Combat on say a roll of 4+ ???

Duke
11-18-2009, 11:33 PM
Seriously, if there was one army that I would love to see redone I would be the DH codex. I hate that the whole range for pose armour gk is 5 metal models (ugh!) also ilthe rules are great from a fluff perspective, but suck on the table. Sisters and dark eldar can make do, redo gk first... I Luke by an army tomorrow If the dex was half reasonable.

Jokubas
11-18-2009, 11:36 PM
I know it's a long shot, but I hope that, when GW updates the Sisters, they change their looks a bit so that they're less dominatrix and more holy warrior.

I hope so too. Some of their warriors are really cool, but others are just... disturbing. The whole, space marine Jeanne D'Arc idea is awesome.

One thing I'd like to see happen in a new Codex is the Living Saint included as a normal (non-Special Character) choice like in Dawn of War.

Melissia
11-18-2009, 11:42 PM
Again I object to the terminology used :P Sororitas aren't Space Marines. They are purely human. That's one of the big draws to them for me.

Jokubas
11-19-2009, 12:30 AM
Again I object to the terminology used :P Sororitas aren't Space Marines. They are purely human. That's one of the big draws to them for me.

Sorry, I should have been more specific. ;) What I meant by that was just the image of a warrior sent into the future with massive armor and intimidating weapons. I didn't mean literally "space marine" in the 40k sense. Yeah, the fact that the Sisters of Battle are super awesome without actually being anything but human does make them pretty cool. Honestly, they're the only thing that could ever tempt me away from my Grey Knights, and if I didn't know someone close who played them, I'd probably have some.

Grie
11-24-2009, 04:48 PM
Hate to burst your bubble guys but brimestone and harry have both shot down the speculations of it being an Inquisitional codex, SoB or GH.

Melissia
11-24-2009, 05:05 PM
I don't think anyone here actually honestly expected it anyway.

RedScorpionsGirl
11-24-2009, 05:11 PM
Hate to burst your bubble guys but brimestone and harry have both shot down the speculations of it being an Inquisitional codex, SoB or GH.

Interesting..I've heard a direct conformation that it is indeed an Inquisition codex and there are hints all over if you know where to look.

One in particular that was pointed out, the fact that the witchhunters/daemonhunters are not listed separately in the 5th edition army quick reference section. It is labeled "Forces of the Inquisition". If you look at the previous edition, they were referenced separately as witchhunters and daemonhunters.

And seriously... Is this "Harry" god or something? Come on, people can get lucky with information, you can make lucky guesses, and you might even have inside information. Or just really good a b/s. It's just a username... Rumors are still just rumors, and until GW confirms it/denies it, or simply produces it and suprises the hell out of everyone, I'm not going to take the word of anyone as the ultimate truth, period. That basically falls into the "he said/she said" category. You can argue one way or the other until you're blue in the face or wear your keyboards out, and GW is still going to go on and do whatever they want to, regardless.

RedScorpionsGirl
11-24-2009, 05:13 PM

What's wrong with the Dark Angels? Mine perform exceedingly well just how they are.

Grie
11-24-2009, 05:44 PM
Interesting..I've heard a direct conformation that it is indeed an Inquisition codex and there are hints all over if you know where to look.

One in particular that was pointed out, the fact that the witchhunters/daemonhunters are not listed separately in the 5th edition army quick reference section. It is labeled "Forces of the Inquisition". If you look at the previous edition, they were referenced separately as witchhunters and daemonhunters.

And seriously... Is this "Harry" god or something? Come on, people can get lucky with information, you can make lucky guesses, and you might even have inside information. Or just really good a b/s. It's just a username... Rumors are still just rumors, and until GW confirms it/denies it, or simply produces it and suprises the hell out of everyone, I'm not going to take the word of anyone as the ultimate truth, period. That basically falls into the "he said/she said" category. You can argue one way or the other until you're blue in the face or wear your keyboards out, and GW is still going to go on and do whatever they want to, regardless.

No Harry isn't god but everything he has said has been true so his track record is pretty much 100%, also there is another person named Brimstone who has an almost 99% success rate. And Brimstone just said that the Inquisitional codexes will not be getting redone, so your thought of a mixed codex could be true. The only thing is that it is not being worked on yet, so the next codex is not going to be an Inquisitional one. All the signs are there that yes they will be doing that, but the thing is "when" they are going to do it and it doesn't look to be anytime soon. Also they both live pretty close to the GW headquarters and have both had to sign NDAs recently, so I think that they know their stuff. And yes in the end all they are are rumors and who knows GW may change their schedule, but these guys haven't been wrong in a long time so they are highly believable.

BTW who was the direct confirmation on the codex being next?

Melissia
11-24-2009, 06:05 PM
And Brimstone just said that the Inquisitional codexes will not be getting redone

In that case, he's contradicted by Jervis Johnson, who has been on record numerous times saying that the inquisitorial codices will remain separate, and will probably be near the end of the fifth edition cycle. Unless you're just improperly phrasing yourself and you really mean that they will not be getting redone this year, in which case yeah, that's probably true.

Grie
11-24-2009, 06:08 PM
In that case, he's contradicted by Jervis Johnson, who has been on record numerous times saying that the inquisitorial codices will remain separate, and will probably be near the end of the fifth edition cycle.

HM.. haven't heard that before, I'm gonna have to look into that one.

Melissia
11-24-2009, 06:11 PM
HM.. haven't heard that before, I'm gonna have to look into that one.
He responded to numerous forumgoers' emails consistently saying something like this:

There will be no combined codex
The codices will focus on the chambers militant (Grey Knights, Sisters of Battle)
There is no planned Xenohunters/Deathwatch codex
They will be near the end of the development cycle

The easiest place to look would be Bolter and Chainsword's Inquisition section, but there are probably other places as well. Hopefully this is true, as this is what's best for both factions IMO.

Grie
11-24-2009, 06:14 PM
He responded to numerous forumgoers' emails consistently saying something like this:

There will be no combined codex
The codices will focus on the chambers militant (Grey Knights, Sisters of Battle)
They will be near the end of the development cycle

The easiest place to look would be Bolter and Chainsword's Inquisition section, but there are probably other places as well. Hopefully this is true, as this is what's best for both factions IMO.

Huh, that's pretty solid confirmation then, maybe Brimstone was talking right now or something? Ah well asked him about it so I'll see what he says. Also isn't it kind of pointless to have a codex released at the end of a dev cycle? Wouldn't that make the brand new codex already an edition behind and in need of a new codex?

Brass Scorpion
11-24-2009, 06:17 PM
In that case, he's contradicted by Jervis Johnson, who has been on record numerous times saying that the inquisitorial codices will remain separate, and will probably be near the end of the fifth edition cycle
That way they can be obsolete again almost immediately after their release. I know I'm not usually negative like that, but it's one of the things that's always annoyed me about the revision system for GW games.

RedScorpionsGirl
11-24-2009, 06:22 PM
No Harry isn't god but everything he has said has been true so his track record is pretty much 100%, also there is another person named Brimstone who has an almost 99% success rate. And Brimstone just said that the Inquisitional codexes will not be getting redone, so your thought of a mixed codex could be true. The only thing is that it is not being worked on yet, so the next codex is not going to be an Inquisitional one. All the signs are there that yes they will be doing that, but the thing is "when" they are going to do it and it doesn't look to be anytime soon. Also they both live pretty close to the GW headquarters and have both had to sign NDAs recently, so I think that they know their stuff. And yes in the end all they are are rumors and who knows GW may change their schedule, but these guys haven't been wrong in a long time so they are highly believable.

BTW who was the direct confirmation on the codex being next?

I spoke to a couple members of GW's England Management/sales team that visited Chicago and also heard a bit that went along with what I was told earlier on from other sources. I was simply told the collective codex is in the works, not that it is next. Please don't insert words. To be exact, this is what I posted:

Originally Posted by RedScorpionsGirl
Interesting..I've heard a direct conformation that it is indeed an Inquisition codex and there are hints all over if you know where to look....

My argument simply lied in the fact that I have heard "Harry" mentioned in our FLGS and the individual is absoutely obsessed with him and believes that he's a member of GW that's secretly giving rumors and such. I take rumors for exactly what they are, just more milled bits that people misunderstand or misinterpret to their advantage. Honestly, I don't want to see either sisters or grey knights redone, but one of the reasons mentioned for it is the redundency between the two codexes.

They want one Inquisitor Lord HQ and one Elite Inquisitor choice and the items you give it sway it to what ordo it is from, and rather than printing the same assassin information twice, there would be the choice of the 1 temple assassin per army, as long as you had an inquisitor, and the death cult assassins as well.

If it was an Ordo Malleus Inq. that sisters would become elites, and if it was Ordo Hereticus, Grey Knights would become elites, and if it was Xenos that Sisters would become elite, Deathwatch Troops, and Grey Knights FA, and so on. Also mentioned was other items and not allowing sisters or grey knights as well, but retooling a few units and coming up with a few new ones.

I thought it was actually a fairly cool idea actually.

But again, in all effect, I had a wonderful chat with them, and it is still just rumors, as it can't be confirmed without someone losing their job or getting sued by GW. It would be great if they followed through with it, but it's still GW's choice whether or not they do.

HsojVvad
11-24-2009, 07:42 PM
Is Harry a god? Well I don't think he is, but what ever Harry and Brimstone say, I usually take as gospel. I havn't seen them wrong yet, in the last 2 years. :D

Melissia
11-25-2009, 07:48 AM
No offense HsojVvad, but people always say that about their sources, regardless of actual fact or history :P

Cthulhu
11-25-2009, 11:48 AM
No offense HsojVvad, but people always say that about their sources, regardless of actual fact or history :P

Not to be a complete jerk (even though I am), but wouldn't that apply to herr Jervis and consequently his promises of not one, but two minor splinter faction within a faction codices as well?

Nids are coming, I'm very happy, it should (hopefully) keep me occupied until a Chaos Legions codex or some reasonable facsimile thereof appears and rescues us old school loyal heretics from the homogenized garbage that is the current codex.

Melissia
11-25-2009, 12:08 PM
Not to be a complete jerk (even though I am), but wouldn't that apply to herr Jervis and consequently his promises of not one, but two minor splinter faction within a faction codices as well?

The difference is that I'm not asserting that he's faultless. Also, the latter part of your statement is ignorant of the fluff regarding the three factions being referred to. The Inquisition, the Grey Knights, and the Sisters of Battle are not the same faction, unlike the various Marine chapters and traitors whom are all Astartes. The Inquisition is a political organization with vast powers, the Grey Knights are one of hte oldiest chapters of Astartes, and the Sisters of Battle are the militant arm of the Ecclesiarchy. The three factions are far more distinct than any of the Astartes chapters can claim to be.

Madjob
11-25-2009, 12:22 PM
the Grey Knights are one of hte oldiest chapters of Astartes

That's not a terribly strong argument, seeing as there are 20 legions older than them and you just claimed there's no overall difference between the traitor legions and the loyalist chapters.

Melissia
11-25-2009, 01:55 PM
you just claimed there's no overall difference between the traitor legions and the loyalist chapters.No, I didn't claim that. Try reading my post before responding.

To summarize my assertion: The Inquisition, the Grey Knights, and the Sisters of Battle are far more distinct-- that is, different from eachother, unique, and so on-- than any of the space marine chapters and legions.

Since I'm feeling bored, I'll further explain:

The various Astartes organizations are all the same race (Astartes), they are all military organizations, and they are all, in the end, descended from the same organization and history (even those that cannot trace their history back to the 20 legions and the Horus Heresy actually do have history going back there-- they've just forgotten it).

The Inquisition, the Grey Knights, and the Sisters of Battle, however, are not all the same race (Grey Knights are Astartes; Inquisitors may be any member of the Imperium, and Sororitas are all Human), they are not all military organizations (the Inquisition is a political organization, the Grey Knights are a military organization, and the Sororitas are a religious-military organization), and they all have very separate and distinct backgrounds and histories, with the Grey Knights being formed before the second founding, the Inquisition being formed gradually over millenniums (the OX is the oldest I believe, then the OM, then the OH), and the Sororitas having their own history separate from both of these as well, only having a side agreement to assist the Inquisition when asked (a similar agreement that an Astartes chapter might have with an Inquisitor anyway).

No, sir, I'm not saying that there's no distinction between the various chapters. I merely said that the distinction is not as great as between these three organizations.

DarkLink
11-25-2009, 02:15 PM
Grey Knights come from the second founding. When precisely isn't known. So we're pretty old, but not that old.

It also isn't known where the geneseed came from, though it was probably either from the Emperor himself, of a purified mix of several remaining loyal Marines from traitor chapters.

Melissia
11-25-2009, 02:21 PM
Thanks for clarifying... I don't play the faction, although they're one of the few Astartes chapters that really interest me (the other one being the Salamanders, due to their more humanitarian attitude than other chapters).

Harry
11-25-2009, 02:27 PM
In that case, he's contradicted by Jervis Johnson, who has been on record numerous times saying that the inquisitorial codices will remain separate, and will probably be near the end of the fifth edition cycle. Unless you're just improperly phrasing yourself and you really mean that they will not be getting redone this year, in which case yeah, that's probably true.

Brimstone and I do seem to differ on this point.

I have not shot them down.

In fact I have specifically said there will be both Grey knights and Sisters. (In that order ... although not for a little while yet and defo not a combined Dex).

That does not mean that is what is going to happen ... it is just what I have heard is all.

Pie for the Pie God. :D

All the best,
Harry

Oh, and I really don't work for Games Workshop in any capacity. I am a school teacher. I teach children with emotional and behavioural difficulties who have been thrown out of regular school because of their behaviour. For relaxation I collect toy soldiers.

Lerra
11-25-2009, 02:46 PM
Grey Knights come from the second founding. When precisely isn't known. So we're pretty old, but not that old.

It also isn't known where the geneseed came from, though it was probably either from the Emperor himself, of a purified mix of several remaining loyal Marines from traitor chapters.

In one of the new Horus Heresy books, there is a scene about the beginnings of the Grey Knights. A very interesting scene, but I hate to spoil it. It answers a lot of those questions, though.

Tensor
11-25-2009, 03:45 PM
Oh, and I really don't work for Games Workshop in any capacity. I am a school teacher. I teach children with emotional and behavioural difficulties who have been thrown out of regular school because of their behaviour. For relaxation I collect toy soldiers.

Some would say perfect preparation for dealing with people on teh intrewebz.

DarkLink
11-25-2009, 04:18 PM
In one of the new Horus Heresy books, there is a scene about the beginnings of the Grey Knights. A very interesting scene, but I hate to spoil it. It answers a lot of those questions, though.

Yeah, that's the non-spoiler fluff.

Artein
11-25-2009, 06:03 PM
In fact I have specifically said there will be both Grey knights and Sisters. (In that order ... although not for a little while yet and defo not a combined Dex).
GK and Sisters, not DH and WH. And I think that 'specifically' is the key word here.

Thx Harry:cool:

Melissia
11-25-2009, 08:02 PM
Which is the same thing I said, too.

DarkLink
11-25-2009, 08:07 PM
I can live with "not for a little while". That just means I'll be more likely to be out of college and have a job for money, then.

Melissia
11-25-2009, 08:13 PM
Same. My Sisters can handle waiting, even if I don't like it. Hopefully I'll have a decent job and some money saved up by then (seeing as I get my two-year degree this semester).

Just_Me
11-25-2009, 08:55 PM
Same. My Sisters can handle waiting, even if I don't like it. Hopefully I'll have a decent job and some money saved up by then (seeing as I get my two-year degree this semester).

First, congratulations on graduation and good luck on your job search, I will be joining you in the real world in the spring, and I feel like we will need all the help we can get :p.

Mores to the point, and much as it pains me, I can certainly wait for a new set of Inquisition 'dexes, the Dark Eldar and Necrons deserve the earlier attention (I am actually really looking forward to see what kind of overhaul they get in terms of game, fluff, and models). If nothing else I still have my relatively new Guard Codex to tide me over, and a brand new Tyranids Codex to look forward to (here's hoping the bugs get a really nice background section and some cool models in addition to their gameplay updates).

DarkLink
11-25-2009, 10:52 PM
Although it would kinda suck if I get into the USMC as an officer, get shipped out right when the new codex comes out, and have no one to play.

Katie Drake
11-27-2009, 06:20 PM
Although it would kinda suck if I get into the USMC as an officer, get shipped out right when the new codex comes out, and have no one to play.

Personally I'd be more worried about getting shot or blown up, but that's just me.

zealot
11-28-2009, 02:35 AM
Personally I'd be more worried about getting shot or blown up, but that's just me.

qft dayum

AngeloftheBlood
11-28-2009, 05:29 AM

He has faith in the emperor my dear!

OnFyre
11-29-2009, 10:26 AM
I wouldn't be surprised if they put Blood Angels and Black Templars in the same book, and the mystery one is the Ordo Xenos.

Cryl
11-29-2009, 10:28 AM
... and the mystery one is the Ordo Xenos.

don't tease me

DarkLink
11-29-2009, 11:56 AM
Ordos Xenos has been pretty well shot down, from what I heard. It won't be coming out anytime soon.

Aegis
11-30-2009, 08:26 PM
I may be reading a bit much into it, but in the new White Dwarf, (cannot recall which article), one author mentions how some projects have taken them away from other things (I believe it was regarding the campaigns), but where the project was mentioned, in italics, there is simple a note along the lines of ++Purged by order of the Inquisition++.

That really makes me hopeful for a new set of Inquisition books (or one compilation).

DarkLink
11-30-2009, 11:34 PM
I believe it was Harry on warseer (and actually he posted here, too) who flat out stated that there will be an updated Sisters and Grey Knight codex, and that it should be within a couple years. So they aren't any of the 2010 mystery codecies, but 2011...? We'll see.

Melissia
12-01-2009, 08:00 AM
Mmhmm. So if not 2010, probably 2011. Which would be nice. That way we have time to buy and paint the models before the zombie apocalypse.

Deckel
12-01-2009, 11:22 AM
maybe they should just wipe the slate clean, produce only SM models, and have 15 different chapter-specific codeces. that would make the most money, right?

seriously though - every other faction has a single codex to work out of, there's still a full range of model variability, and plenty of diversity with unit selection. you work around the strengths and weaknesses of your faction instead of whining for a new codex to get around the stuff you don't like. i don't play SM, i think they're tremendously over-used. other than the bias based on the literature, i don't know why they've been promoted above the rest of the factions. they should try to level the playing-field rock-paper-scizzors style. where every faction has weaknesses and strengths, just in different areas. and every faction gets equal attention. but that's just my thought on the matter. i just play the game, I don't make money from the sales.

Melissia
12-01-2009, 07:43 PM
instead of whining for a new codex
Quit trolling. Aside from the fact that most of us DO make due with what we have-- and in my case, I do so winning more often than I lose, thank you very much-- it's perfectly reasonable for people to someone who plays an army that's used the same codex for almost a decade (if not more than a decade) to want an update, especially given the massive variety in the new codices. These older codices are stale, and even if we love the armies, the models, the fluff behind them, or all of these at the same time, the facts remain:

The army doesn't change but the game does, leaving the army, or a large part of it, left in the dust. Don't call someone a whiner because they want their codex to be updated so that all the units in it are at least somewhat competitive. I love the fluff behind Sisters Repentia, and their models are some of the best ever released by Games Workshop. But I'll never buy any except maybe to use as priests for my Imperial Guard army, because the unit sucks so hard that it makes a black hole blush in embarrassment at its inadequacy,

The models don't change (in the case of some armies, they're still using second edition metal models!) while other armies get updated, better quality plastic models and a much bigger range of models that are easier to paint and put together, and more variety in the models themselves in that there are less conversions that need to be done.

The fluff doesn't change... it just... sits there, while other armies get book after book after book after book after book after book. Why should you say someone's a whiner for wanting more lore, more background for their faction?

No, we are not "whining". We are customers who want GW to give us more products to buy. And this is a forum for discussing things such as that.

DarkLink
12-01-2009, 08:14 PM
I think a lot of people make the mistake of lumping Imperial players all together, regardless of actual faction. The people who play IG are not necessarily the people who play Space Marines and are not necessarily the people who play Inquisition. There are a lot of different groups of players within the Imperium, and really, each one has as much a right to a new codex as anyone else (well, really no one has a right to a new codex, but they do deserve it as much as anyone else).

The only consolidation that I think could be done is putting all the SM codices into one book (which could be done, even with BT's and SW's*). Though to say it could be done is not to say it should be done.

*Not Grey Knights, though. Literally the only unit that we have in common with normal SM's is our Land Raiders. Even our Dreadnoughts have different statlines and options. There is just no good way to fit the Grey Knights into a SM codex.

Orminah
12-01-2009, 08:45 PM
Heh. Fleet-based marines..... Who knows, maybe GW is going to drop a Black Templar bomb on us. That would be fun. They could use a face-lift after the bashing 5th gave em. But surely no less than Necron and DE.

DarkLink
12-01-2009, 11:09 PM
From my experience, BT's have done pretty well in 5th. Regardless, I would put my money on them if I had to bet on the mystery codex. Black Templar have no home world; the chapter conducts all operations from its fleet of warships. And since Dark Angel rumors have been shot down, we're running out of candidates for the codex. Unless GW introduces a new chapter, which I find unlikely.

Aenir
12-01-2009, 11:29 PM
Maybe it is DA and they are doing the whole misinformation thing? (like the mystery box and stuff) :)

have we heard it in concrete that they are NOT DA?

DarkLink
12-01-2009, 11:37 PM
As I recall, the same guy(s) who gave us the fleet based Marines rumor in the first place pretty much said flat out that it wasn't Dark Angels.

Orminah
12-02-2009, 12:06 AM
So HAHA! It could be Black Templars.... :P And I personally think the BT got handed a piece of gooey 5th ed.-ness. Mainly because of the rule changes to SM wargear that GW refuses to give to BT.... What? We don't get the ability to get current Storm Shields?

DarkLink
12-02-2009, 11:17 AM
None of the other Marine codices got the updated wargear. In fact, doesn't a lot of the BT wargear say "refer to C:SM"? Or was that the old SW codex...

Regardless, Righteous Zeal is completely ridiculous nowadays, and you can get Preferred Enemy for your entire army for, what, 50pts?

RedScorpionsGirl
12-14-2009, 10:12 PM
I believe it was Harry on warseer (and actually he posted here, too) who flat out stated that there will be an updated Sisters and Grey Knight codex, and that it should be within a couple years. So they aren't any of the 2010 mystery codecies, but 2011...? We'll see.

:confused:

do we have to start the "harry knows everything" again? please people, how about chatting about what others have heardinstead of "what harry's said this time" or reiterating month old posts. It would be nice to see chat that doesn't drag up the same exact information that was mentioned by the same exact person and try to rehash it and come up with different conclusions.

sicarius2424
12-14-2009, 10:56 PM

-"fleet based marines"

like the looks of the mystery codex but really we need more alien armies and finnally the inquisition gets the attention they need i don't think they have changed since 3rd (i only have a 3rd full sized rule book) and they are still metal!:(

DarkLink
12-15-2009, 01:46 AM
:confused:

do we have to start the "harry knows everything" again? please people, how about chatting about what others have heardinstead of "what harry's said this time" or reiterating month old posts. It would be nice to see chat that doesn't drag up the same exact information that was mentioned by the same exact person and try to rehash it and come up with different conclusions.

I find it kinda surprising that people go here for rumors, really. We get most of our rumors from warseer and other places. The threads here have all the real information in the first few posts, then discussion about the info afterwards. If someone mentions a rumor you haven't heard brought up before, it was probably explained earlier if everyone is discussing it, so it's worth reading through all those intervening posts, or even giving warseer a quick check.

And I just happened to latch onto the GK/Sisters rumors, because I own Grey Knights and some Sisters:D.

Melissia
12-15-2009, 11:14 AM
Besides, what was said there supports what we've heard about GK/Sisters in the past.

Duke
12-15-2009, 11:43 AM
I think that the true rumour behined GK/ SOB is that GW has secretly given up on the inquisition and will soon announce that the inquisition is dead, meanwhile laughing at all the GK/SOB players.

Duke

Melissia
12-15-2009, 11:45 AM
I think that the true rumour behined GK/ SOB is that GW has secretly given up on the inquisition and will soon announce that the inquisition is dead, meanwhile laughing at all the GK/SOB players.

Duke
I don't think killing off the Inquisition and then doing GK/Sisters codices is mutually exclusive.

RedScorpionsGirl
12-15-2009, 11:58 AM

Duke

That sounds fairly stupid frankly. Considering how far back the inquisition was started and such. I also have both a SOB army and a GK army (yes, solid sisters, and solid grey knights, no Inquisitors/assassins/allies..etc) and while it would be cool to put them together on occasion, I see no validity to getting rid of the inquisition entirely. I see the collective inquisition book on its way though (Forces of the Inquisition, with Witch, Daemon, and Xenos hunters), with all of it into one book, but not getting rid of the inquisition itself.

Cthulhu
12-15-2009, 03:28 PM
Wow, you think maybe Duke was messing with you guys and anticipating the hyperbolic response?

Melissia
12-15-2009, 04:59 PM
Duh, I fully expected that to have been a sarcastic douchemuffin type of statement rather than a serious one.

MarshalAdamar
12-23-2009, 10:42 AM
None of the other Marine codices got the updated wargear. In fact, doesn't a lot of the BT wargear say "refer to C:SM"? Or was that the old SW codex...

Regardless, Righteous Zeal is completely ridiculous nowadays, and you can get Preferred Enemy for your entire army for, what, 50pts?

That was the old SW codex, no the BT don't get any such "refer to" love.

Cyberscape7
12-29-2009, 01:28 PM
I think that new necrons will be out in October 2010 and witchhunters and grey knights will be combined into the Inquisition January 2011.

DarkLink
12-29-2009, 01:40 PM
I think that new necrons will be out in October 2010 and witchhunters and grey knights will be combined into the Inquisition January 2011.

Timeline sounds about right, though previous rumors have indicated that they will have their own, separate codices. I've never heard a reliable rumor supporting a combined Inquisition codex, only speculation.

Duke
12-29-2009, 03:40 PM
Even though I think a Codex inquisition makes a lot of sense I think they will keep the codecies seperate... If only for financial reasons.

"Two codecies are better than one! because why buy one when you can get two for twice the price!?" -GW

Duke

mysterex
12-29-2009, 10:36 PM
Even though I think a Codex inquisition makes a lot of sense I think they will keep the codecies seperate... If only for financial reasons.

"Two codecies are better than one! because why buy one when you can get two for twice the price!?" -GW

Duke

At the risk of getting lynched I agree. It would have been easy to roll the Dark Angels into the SM codex simply by allowing terminators as troops for a terminator captain and adding the special characters. The rest of the DA codex is not sufficiently different to justify being separate.

So I'm inclined to go with the financial justification. It's a pity because I'd really like to see a forces of the Inquisition codex.

rbryce
12-30-2009, 04:18 AM
to make a forces of the inquisition dex, it would need to be at least twice the size of a normal dex. and even then, theyd lose out on troop selection, when everyone else is gaining options. it would be nice if you want pure inquisition, but at the expense of watering down sisters and grey knights, i would say the same for DW, but as they havnt got much anyway, theyd be the only beneficiarys(?). also, the hints on warseer point to seperate codexs for sisters and grey knights, not inquisition. anywhere. the hints seem to explicitely preclude them. good news for me at least, mixing my sisters with grey knights and uber-marines? i dont think so...

Lord Azaghul
12-30-2009, 07:29 AM
I'd be willing to bet that the inquistional stormtroopers will be awesome - they need to sell those new plastics that they are rumored to have made.

I'm not sure if a joint codex mades a whole lot of sense. I can see a bit of a fluff rewrite to justify keeping them seperate, and I'm also willing to venture a guess that the allied options would be comes a little stricter.

If anything I think sisters should lose access to IG. Let them operate more as a female Astaries chapter.

Duke
12-30-2009, 10:19 AM
Well, I haven't read many Inquisition Books, but how often to the three arms of the Inquisition work together?

I would assume that they don't work together hardly at all. Unless there was a situation where a Xenos Psycher was summoning a Daemon Prince while using imperial heretics as the chorus for the summoning.

As such, I think that the situational fluff supports seperate codecies as well

Duke

rbryce
12-30-2009, 10:31 AM
in the fluff we see of the inquisition "behind closed doors", and sometimes in the open, as being more factional than anything. each of the ordos majoris compete with each other for power and standing, as well as the factions within the ordos themeselves.then the minor ordos, individual inquisitors and even in the retinues. they are far from a cohesive force.

Nabterayl
12-30-2009, 10:53 AM
Well, I haven't read many Inquisition Books, but how often to the three arms of the Inquisition work together?

I would assume that they don't work together hardly at all. Unless there was a situation where a Xenos Psycher was summoning a Daemon Prince while using imperial heretics as the chorus for the summoning.

As such, I think that the situational fluff supports seperate codecies as well

Duke
You're quite right. Even in the situation you describe, the most likely result is that the three major Ordos would compete to see which of them got the rights to eliminate the threat.

The Vraks campaign had an example of this sort of situation, where an apostate cardinal was believed to be summoning daemons. The local inquisitorial conclave was split between two camps: the Ordo Malleus, which believed it should eliminate the threat because of the presence of daemons, and the Ordo Hereticus, which believed it should eliminate the threat because it had all started with a rogue clergyman. Nobody seems to have even considered the possibility that both Ordos could contribute to the effort (and when the Ordo Malleus carried the debate, the Ordo Hereticus faction actively worked against the daemonhunters' efforts in an effort to demonstrate that the Hereticus should have been given the mission all along).

Duke
12-30-2009, 11:11 AM
@Nab: Quite right! the inquisition is one crazy beast.

After all has been said I keep going more and more into the "different codecies," camp.

Mostly, I would love to see a plastic range Grey Knights... I would have started the army a long time ago, but I don't want the same 5 guys 'cut and pasted,' all over my army.

Duke

DarkLink
12-30-2009, 01:39 PM
There are a lot of complexities with a Forces of the Inquisition codex.

For one, Sisters of Battle aren't actually part of the Inquisition. They work with the Ordo Hereticus, but only because of an ancient oath and common interest.

As for the Ordo Malleus, the Inquisition itself isn't very directly involved in the battles. The Inquisitors are like detectives, hunting down corruption. They have small, elite strike teams of IST's, but when any real fighting needs to go on they requisition IG, SM's or call in the Grey Knights. Sometimes the Inquisitors and maybe some IST's will go along for the ride, but they don't do the main fighting.

The Ordos Xenos consists mainly of small strike teams. The Deathwatch itself is made up of small, elite teams of SM's, acting as a scalpel while any other Imperium forces just do their normal jobs.

On top of that, the orders don't really work together, unless necessary, as pointed out above.

It'd be tough to do a good combined codex without both retconning some fluff (not that they haven't done that before) and without making the thickest codex in the game.

Necrosis
12-30-2009, 02:23 PM
A problem that I have with the Forces of the Inquisition Codex is that if they were to combined them all into one, we really wouldn't get any new units aside from the Ordo Xenos stuff. They might change a few rules here and their but it would still be the same old codex with pretty much the same background. If they did combine them all and added a bunch of new units and fluffy to each ordo and miltant arms then we would have a book bigger then the space marines one.

DarkLink
12-30-2009, 03:28 PM
A problem that I have with the Forces of the Inquisition Codex is that if they were to combined them all into one, we really wouldn't get any new units aside from the Ordo Xenos stuff. They might change a few rules here and their but it would still be the same old codex with pretty much the same background. If they did combine them all and added a bunch of new units and fluffy to each ordo and miltant arms then we would have a book bigger then the space marines one.

Right. Whereas if we have one codex for Grey Knights and one for Sisters (which is what the current rumors are saying), we'd both get a bunch of new units (particularly the Grey Knights).

rbryce
12-30-2009, 03:55 PM
Right. Whereas if we have one codex for Grey Knights and one for Sisters (which is what the current rumors are saying), we'd both get a bunch of new units (particularly the Grey Knights).

hear hear! rumors ive been hearing, and hints from the pie man over at war seer indicate that theyve started work on the sisters and maybe the grey knights. the models that is, he also indicates codexs for sisters and grey knights. he made a point of excluding inquisition. as much as i like the inquisition fluff(and i love it. lots) they really failed on the table(except malleus, they can be REALLY effective). i could see GW phasing them out. ill have to grab more minis though, i actually like them.

Bigred
12-31-2009, 12:48 PM
Hi guys, this thread is getting a little long and stale. I'm locking it and have set up a new shiny thread with that latest list of 2010 minis . Go have fun!