PDA

View Full Version : X-Wing game mechanics licensed by Star Trek

Bigred
07-17-2013, 10:28 AM

http://wizkidsgames.com/startrek/star-trek-attack-wing/

NECA/WIZKIDS ANNOUNCE STAR TREK™: ATTACK WING

Hillside, N.J. – March 11, 2013 – WizKids/NECA, LLC (WizKids), the leader in collectible gaming, is inviting gamers, collectors and Star Trek fans alike to recreate some of the most iconic battles in Star Trek lore. Today WizKids announces the latest board game title to join their Star Trek HeroClix™ miniatures game line-up, Star Trek: Attack Wing. It features collectible pre-painted Star Trek ships and the FlightPath™ maneuver system licensed from Fantasy Flight Games. Under license by CBS Consumer Products, Star Trek: Attack Wing is expected to launch late summer at Gen Con Indy 2013.

Players engage in exploration and combat, traversing sprawling Star Trek space maps made available via an in store Organized Play program. As commander, players have the ability to customize, upgrade, and assign famous crewmembers to their fleets, which feature ships from the series’ prominent empires and forces as well as special stats and abilities, and unique maneuvers on separate HeroClix Combat Dials™.
“The FlightPath™ maneuver system used in FFG’s game is an amazing system for free-form movement in a space combat game,” said Justin Ziran, president at WizKids. “It’s a natural fit for the Star Trek universe. Players familiar with the FlightPath™ system will most definitely enjoy Star Trek: Attack Wing.”
American retailers looking for Star Trek: Attack Wing can purchase the product through Alliance Game Distributors or Diamond Comic Distributors and should contact their sales representatives for order information. International retailers should contact their local distributors for ordering information.
For more information about the new enterprise, Star Trek: Attack Wing, visit WizkidsGames.com/StarTrek

eldargal
07-17-2013, 10:39 AM
Hm, I want to be excited. not sure how something like Galaxy class ships or d'deridex warbirds would work with what is basically a starfighter ruleset. At least this is including 'contemporary' ships rather than TNG period stuff which is nice but a little boring.

magickbk
07-17-2013, 11:17 AM
I'm either really excited, or horrified. Not sure which, yet. I'm also not familiar with the system in question, so I don't know if that would change my feelings one way or the other.

Bigred
07-17-2013, 12:43 PM
It's Star Trek, so we are talking about grand starships here - not fighters. I would hope we see modified maneuver tempaltes, and less barrel rolls and such.

I would think Star Trek would work better with a ruleset transposed from Age of Sail or something like that.

That said - a card for Khan is kinda cool!

tremere47
07-17-2013, 01:00 PM
It's Star Trek, so we are talking about grand starships here - not fighters. I would hope we see modified maneuver tempaltes, and less barrel rolls and such.

I would think Star Trek would work better with a ruleset transposed from Age of Sail or something like that.

That said - a card for Khan is kinda cool!

Thank God they got the right Khan in there.

Bigred
07-17-2013, 01:05 PM
Thank God they got the right Khan in there.

Indeed!

Apparently, it's not a literal copy of X-Wing. There are captains, shields and other stuff.

Iceman
07-17-2013, 03:30 PM
I agree that as long as they minimize some of the more dramatic maneuvers like barrel rolls it could be OK. In the series they tend to maneuver pretty nimbly for their size, especially ships like the Defiant. I'm interested to see how they handle different firing arcs because they don't just shoot straight ahead. If they use some of the old Starfleet Battles mechanics a lot of the strategy centered around positioning to maximize your firing arcs. The other big thing is that there are multiple shields covering different areas. That is a big factor in positioning your ship and is integral to the series. Finally, it would be really nice if they can include some sort of energy allocation mechanics also.

theHman
07-17-2013, 03:41 PM
I think this will be way better than the Star Wars version for one simple reason:

More than 2 factions to choose from!

Just off the top of my head you got:
Federation
Klingon
Romulan
Borg
Ferengi
And tons more.

Denzark
07-22-2013, 07:07 AM
Not to be more than my usual pedantic self but there could be loads of Star Wars factions. Imps, Rebs, Smugglers, Correllian, Chiss Ascendancy, Ssi-Ruuk, Yuuzhan Vong, Mon Calamari, Black Sun, Sith, Naboo etc etc.