PDA

View Full Version : Nevermoor Kickstarter begins August 1st

the9ravan
07-17-2013, 12:02 PM
Hi BOLS community, my name is David Tepfer and I am the creative director and founder of BareHanded Games.

As the title of the post states we are launching a Kickstarter Campaign for our first game Nevermoor. Nevermoor is a skirmish style miniature game with deep rooted themes in medieval horror. Players take control of a party of characters within the plague infested city of Nevermoor and fight to find what supplies and support exists to try and escape it's deadly streets.

For more information and preview pictures of our miniatures please visit our website at www.NevermoorGame.com or our Facebook page at https://www.facebook.com/BareHandedGames

Thanks for your time.

GrauGeist
07-17-2013, 04:36 PM
So it's a Mordheim meets Malifaux mashup?

the9ravan
07-17-2013, 06:25 PM
I guess there are some similarities in theme to Mordheim (I am not as familiar with Malifaux as Mordheim), but the game itself is quite different. Players fight for control of the many buildings that line the city streets of Nevermoor. Once in control of a building players can convert the building into a variety of structures which can produce better weapons/equipment for characters, activate events that help you/ hinder your opponents, change the dynamics of the table, and score points.

Due to the low model count, combat between each model is extremely dynamic. Playing out encounters with an enemy model is a brisk melee of hit, defend, and counter hit until one side flees or dies. However, play never stands still as their are a wide variety of ways to interrupt and completely abolish turn order.

Sorry for being long winded but I just wanted to clarify a bit. If I had to compare Nevermoor to existing game systems, I would say its a mashup of Settlers of Catan, Mordheim, and D&D.

GrauGeist
07-17-2013, 09:55 PM
As I see it', you've cribbed the basic strategy concept from Mordheim for the exact same gangs skirmish for control of the city to get resources. You're taking steampunk visual bits and guilding concepts from Malifaux - the mention of steam and the character carrying a huge wrench are dead giveaways that you're not pre-Renaissance "medieval", but more Victorian steam. Your game appears to have expanded resource development / management with smaller gangs.

You mention D&D - how many stats / abilities / characteristics / whatnots does each character have? Are we talking a handful like Mordhiem, or dozens like D&D?

Also, interesting that you're going with large models at 40mm scale. Any particular reason for big models?

the9ravan
07-18-2013, 06:24 AM
I think it may have been a bit unclear. It is true that in Mordheim you gain resources and experience for better equipment and such, but Mordheim does it through the creation of a campaign. In Nevermoor characters gain experience, in a simple system, every time the successfully complete an encounter (being combat, scoring, or an event). Progression of characters is built into the game itself to allow steady pacing of action until power levels peak at the end.

To answer your Victorian steam punk point, I can supply some insight. Steam power does not solely belong to Victorian era fantasy. We took the interesting concept of steam powered technology and applied it to a medieval setting with armored knights, witches, monsters, and plague doctors. It creates (what we found) to be a more interesting aesthetic when compared with classic black powder.

As a veteran of D&D I am a bit confused by your statement since a character only has 6 main stats (8 with def and atk) and we are akin to that with 6 attributes and the ability to buy new skills. However, I was drawing more similarities to the combat style (of 4th ed).

As for 40mm models, we decided that since the game functions on a larger 4'x4' board larger models would aesthetically fit better. It also allows the model to be easier to paint considering the near true scale features for the models.

GrauGeist
07-18-2013, 12:20 PM
For a D&D Character, the 6 stats are just the tip of the iceberg. Move, AC, Thac0, saves, vision, etc., etc. Reading, appraisal, crafting. etc., etc. Inventory. Spells. Companions. The list goes on. So when you say D&D, I'm curious what level of detail you intend.

the9ravan
07-20-2013, 06:36 PM
Again, I was drawing more similarities to the combat style of D&D. In Nevermoor characters enter what's called a combat encounter when one of more characters become aware of each other (via an awareness mechanic). These encounters function as almost a game within a game, allowing the characters within the encounter free reign of their full set of actions. However, this isn't the only way combat can take place. Many characters can perform stealthy combat actions that do not force them into full encounters. I used the D&D reference since combat is treated on an almost separate level to the rest of the game. Although Nevermoor does have a leveling system, it is more akin to receiving points to allocate into skills/level up rather then building a full fledged RP character.

the9ravan
07-31-2013, 11:47 AM
So tomorrow is the big day for our Kickstarter Campaign. We will have a bunch of miniatures up for pledge rewards including several different "starter kits" for Nevermoor and a few Kickstarter exclusive items. To see what we are going to have available tomorrow check out www.NevermoorGame.com or our Facebook Page (https://www.facebook.com/BareHandedGames)

the9ravan
08-01-2013, 06:13 AM
Hi everyone, our Kickstarter has now officially started! You can check out everything we have to offer on our Kickstarter Page Here (http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/695582251/nevermoor). We could use all the support we can get, so please if Nevermoor is something you might be interested in pledge!