PDA

View Full Version : who are the "worst" players?

Agramar
08-01-2009, 04:25 PM
I haven't experience in international tournaments,but some friends say that the "worst"( I don't want that anybody takes offence, it'sa curiosity)players are the Italians and the spanish.

They say that the Italians lengthen very much the playing time complaining about everything and everybody...and the spanish have reputation of only wanting codexes and rulebooks in Spanish and not to strain in using them in English(i have everything in Spanish and English,one copy in Spanish and other in English),and as the translations they are different from one to other one....:(

thats true??:eek:

Magos
08-01-2009, 05:06 PM
I find any players under 13 to be utterly unbearable. I really feel like there should be an age limit on 40K just becouse of under-13 year olds.

TheKingElessar
08-01-2009, 05:10 PM
My least favourite players are jerks. Jerks = worst.

The Green Git
08-01-2009, 05:17 PM
I find any players under 13 to be utterly unbearable. I really feel like there should be an age limit on 40K just becouse of under-13 year olds.

I've played thirteen year olds that were a delight to play... and I've played (allegedly) grown men that were less mature than a 13-year old.

There needs to be a selfish jackass test. You must not be one before one can be allowed to play. :D

Mindless-Focus
08-01-2009, 05:18 PM
i gotta admit that younger players (ie 14 and below) tend to be the worst. that being said, i am sure there are some great kids playing out there... i just havent met them yet.

Agramar
08-01-2009, 05:26 PM
I've played thirteen year olds that were a delight to play... and I've played (allegedly) grown men that were less mature than a 13-year old.

There needs to be a selfish jackass test. You must not be one before one can be allowed to play. :D

sadly,that's true...:mad:

Magos
08-01-2009, 05:42 PM
I suppose there I should amend myself. There is a 13 year old I know who plays his Chaos Marines well, runs a pretty mean twin defiler list that can give my IG trouble, and is generally a pleasent person.

Then there is an 11 year old.....

Nedark
08-01-2009, 06:11 PM
Rule Lawyers. They are the worst. Not the people who question a rule because they either didn't understand it or have never heard of it, but the people who will question every single roll, rule, unit, move, and even what dice you use to represent different attacks. I played one, he did that (he even asked me if I undercoated my models and after I answered said that he wouldn't play if I didn't) and after the game, he complained about how long the game went on. It went on that long because you looked up every single rule in the rulebook, every single battle gear I had equipped, and every single unit I had. He checked every dice roll (If he didn't see it because he wasn't paying attention, he made me roll it again) and call (marine hits on a 4+ for example). They are the worst.
The next worse is probably the impatient gamer. Ok, so I haven't remembered every stat of every army, battle gear and all 200+ rules; sue me.

Dragon Knight Of Rhun
08-01-2009, 06:20 PM
Rule Lawyers. They are the worst. Not the people who question a rule because they either didn't understand it or have never heard of it, but the people who will question every single roll, rule, unit, move, and even what dice you use to represent different attacks. I played one, he did that (he even asked me if I undercoated my models and after I answered said that he wouldn't play if I didn't) and after the game, he complained about how long the game went on. It went on that long because you looked up every single rule in the rulebook, every single battle gear I had equipped, and every single unit I had. He checked every dice roll (If he didn't see it because he wasn't paying attention, he made me roll it again) and call (marine hits on a 4+ for example). They are the worst.
The next worse is probably the impatient gamer. Ok, so I haven't remembered every stat of every army, battle gear and all 200+ rules; sue me.

Yes Rule Lawyers are probably the worst. If not them then the I MUST WIN! type people drive me insane too. Im not talking people who enjoy winning or are focused on winning a bit more than fun, but people who if they dont win go nuts. I stopped playing at my local GW because of those type of people.

herger
08-01-2009, 06:20 PM
The worst for me is the guy who never has his codex or BRB and tells you every turn that you cant do this or that. i only have one person in mind and when he starts a sentence it ends in a loud and long laugh. I thank the EMPORER that i've never giving end to the calling of KHORNE.

Sangre
08-01-2009, 07:28 PM
I'm the worst player.

I just keep losing...

Commissar Lewis
08-01-2009, 07:49 PM
As far as skill, I'm pretty bad. I've pretty much lost every game I've played, but you know what? It's fun anyways. I'm gonna keeping playing until my losing streak becomes a winning one. But I digress.

IMO, the worst players are the ones who forget rule #1: It's just a game. I mean, if you have to powergame and rules lawyer and constantly question the other player's credibility, why are you playing?

I mean, building an optimal list to win is fine, hell choosing the right unit for the job is an important strategic element. But if someone builds a list solely to completely destroy the other guy's army in two turns or such and ruin the fun of the other player... that's uncalled for, frankly.

Rules Lawyering is also a big pet peeve of mine. I mean, it's just a game played for fun and entertainment, not an episode of Law and Order. At a tournament it's fine, hell if there is a prize on the line making sure no one's playing fast and loose is important. In friendly games it's a bit ill-spirited.

Oddball
08-01-2009, 07:52 PM
totally depends on the person....not the age.
However those players are the worst, who try to cheat with the dice, or measuring their body parts before the game etc. I have never tried to cheat with the dice even in desperate situations. Just simply kills the game I think.

Mindless-Focus
08-01-2009, 08:06 PM
there was a player at this one shop (back when hobby shops existed here) that ALWAYS used plastic measuring sticks. we later learned that he would stretch them out a lot before each game. i stopped playing there the next day...

TheKingElessar
08-01-2009, 10:11 PM
Yeah, dice cheat...cheats of any kind really. Deploying models that can't deploy, moving models too far or wrongly...turning Chaos Dreads to shoot things behind them in the Shooting phase...also, people who give out rubbish tactics. They're just bad for the hobby.

Chumbalaya
08-01-2009, 10:23 PM
Yeah, dice cheat...cheats of any kind really. Deploying models that can't deploy, moving models too far or wrongly...turning Chaos Dreads to shoot things behind them in the Shooting phase...also, people who give out rubbish tactics. They're just bad for the hobby.

QFT

I also lol'd at the OP. Every Italian stalls and everyone from Spain insists on their rules written in their language (how dare they).

The worst players are the ones who refuse to adapt to changing editions and armies, they get stuck in their ways and never improve, and then instead of learning and getting better, they complain and bring everybody else down. Stop ruining everybody's fun you scrub, quit crying and get with the times.

TheKingElessar
08-01-2009, 10:28 PM
QFT

I also lol'd at the OP. Every Italian stalls and everyone from Spain insists on their rules written in their language (how dare they).

The worst players are the ones who refuse to adapt to changing editions and armies, they get stuck in their ways and never improve, and then instead of learning and getting better, they complain and bring everybody else down. Stop ruining everybody's fun you scrub, quit crying and get with the times.

Your QFT also QFT! Word!

I hate people who don't adapt their list in successive editions. It's like, Swooping Hawks aren't any good, why not buy another unit, instead of Fast Attacks.

Chumbalaya
08-01-2009, 10:29 PM
Your QFT also QFT! Word!

I hate people who don't adapt their list in successive editions. It's like, Swooping Hawks aren't any good, why not buy another unit, instead of Fast Attacks.

Yeah, we should totally keep running gunlines and horde Orks. It's foolproof;)

Lerra
08-02-2009, 12:04 AM
I love playing against kids as long as they have the maturity to be patient, learn the game, be a good sport, etc. Most of my horror stories are with under-15s though.

The second round of 'ard Boyz, my opponent was a 9-year-old kid. He had never played 40k (or any wargame) before, he was borrowing his brother's army, and didn't have a codex. He had read the rulebook once through but hadn't grasped the basics of the game yet. After about 5 minutes of him looking through the rulebook trying to remember how the phases went, I ended up telling him where to move his units, which targets to shoot and why, talking him through the whole game "okay, now roll these dice. You need a 3+ because your guys have ballistic skill 4, and your best target is this squad over here because they are outside of cover now." I ended up massacring him (I was doing my best to help him but . . . its 'ard Boyz . . .) and he started crying at the end. He called and had his mom pick him up after the second game. I felt terrible but . . . it's 'ard Boyz. I can't think of a worst place to have your first game, and at 2500 points, too.

Valdore
08-02-2009, 04:02 AM
Rather than say kids, I would say people who don't know the rules at least to a rudimentary level. I've played against kids who have been hot on the rules and even corrected me the odd time ;)

Then again, I have come across mature players who have tried to do the most horrendous things sometimes, admittedly the vast majority of younger kids are still learning (or just spoilt brats who don't know the rules) but there are some very good young players out there who I try to help as much as I can.

So rather than say 13 and under as others are saying, I'm a bit more specific ;)

Bung
08-02-2009, 04:12 AM
Age is no Problem for me. as long as the rules are known and no one starts crying.

The worst are players turning the Fluff into brezels to justify their PG Lists as a Fluff List aka the 2/9 Chaos SM List is a fluff List cause its undiveded and/or Black Legion.

A hate this and i have hard times not to take their Rulebook and Codex to beat them until they are crying for their poppy and momy.

Inquisitor McSagington
08-02-2009, 04:13 AM
Mainly older rules lawyers and ADD kids are the bane of my existance. It's why I only play with mates.
I mean for exmple I went in to my local GW yesterday and it was swarming witha nnoying kids in a manner the Hive mind would be envious of. Bugging the staff, knocking over drinks etc.
Aside from 1-who sat quietly at the paint station detailing his Deathwing (and annoyingly well for a 10 year old).
He'll go far methinks.

Mustakrakish
08-02-2009, 07:13 AM
Most annoying are those already mentioned "must win!" players.
Eespecially in combination when they are cheating all the time.
Even in friendly games that were meant to be fun games these players have to powergame...
but at least it's funny when they still keep losing ^^

You really cannot say kids in generell are erible.
there are also several sorts of... I just eplained they game yesterday to two boys who just didn't get the rules. they were completely different to each other.
One was willing to understand what he was doing and why and the other was just throwing dices... not depending on who's turn it was...

TheRico
08-02-2009, 07:39 AM
Rules Lawyers blow chunks, they should buy themselves a personality. Especially the ones that are unforgiving... that exploit the technicality of the rules and make the game collection of do's and dont's instead of a fun experience for both...

I once couldn't shoot a unit right in front of my ruin, because it was behind a rhino, with a Dev squad on the fourth floor of the building.. because the rhino was Size level three... the dev squad could see every single model, clearly... by the way, this clown was a Regional Manager at GW at the time, and this was a friendly game in my basement. Last game i ever played against him. He got canned a year later.

The other thing i dont like, is the cheap player. The guy who buys a cheap skaven box on EBay and uses them as Plaguebearers... when the rest of his army is actual plaguebearers. Its fine if the whol army is themed under "rats as nurgle" .. i.e. Rat Ogres for Beasts of nurgle etc. Not the case there, and that just ruins the experience for me.

MOST kids are fun, if you give'em some slack and try to make it fun... you know, lead by example. I used to love playing kids when i had my store... they would get so excited they would literally jump at the dice rolls. Good times. Even the bratty ones, if you tell them they are acting up and spoiling for everyone, and show them why its important to be a good sportsman, they will calm down and become pleasant. Kids mostly ave good intentions, they just forget sometimes.

kitiara
08-02-2009, 07:52 AM
There is a lot of people (here in Spain) that interprets rules as they like, making word's games and tying differents editions... then when you complain, they get angry and give you troubles...:mad:

In my opinion, these short of players are worst.

TheKingElessar
08-02-2009, 08:03 AM
I hate it when people generalise Rules Lawyers like that. I could legitimately be called a Rules Lawyer, because I know the rules better than 90%+ of players, and never cheat, or allow others to cheat, even accidentally. If you're cheating by accident, I'll tell you how the rule is supposed to be used, and, in a friendly game, let you do it the way you were.

Rules Lawyer =/= Jerk.

Nedark
08-02-2009, 01:58 PM
We're talking about the ones that starch their face. The ones that will question everything you do. Even something as simple as moving a unit. The ones that will check that in your codex, the store's codex, and the rulebook.

the_killer23
08-02-2009, 02:26 PM
i.e. 'Hey! You moved that Rhino 12.01 inches!''

Chumbalaya
08-02-2009, 02:28 PM
We're talking about the ones that starch their face. The ones that will question everything you do. Even something as simple as moving a unit. The ones that will check that in your codex, the store's codex, and the rulebook.

Being a prick is one thing, making sure the rules are being followed is quite another.

Lord Anubis
08-03-2009, 12:05 AM
I would also have to go with the powergamer/ rules lawyer as the worst kind of player. Among my friends, we've started the somewhat mocking cry of "I'm just trying to play the game the way it's supposed to be played," after one local fellow's constant defense to his play style.

My first Rogue Trader was almost my last. The first guy I played had no interest in talking, except to tell me about the numerous things he thought I'd done wrong in making my army list. Other than that he just called out dice results and stared at the table. The second person(as I realized later) had some very creative interpretations on the rules.

Thank God the last guy I played had just shown up to have fun and play 40K.

Little Brother
08-03-2009, 02:06 AM
MOST kids are fun, if you give'em some slack and try to make it fun... you know, lead by example. I used to love playing kids when i had my store... they would get so excited they would literally jump at the dice rolls. Good times. Even the bratty ones, if you tell them they are acting up and spoiling for everyone, and show them why its important to be a good sportsman, they will calm down and become pleasant. Kids mostly ave good intentions, they just forget sometimes.

Playing against kids can be great. Even the bratty ones tend not to be bratty if you get them away from their circle of friends or family. I don't care if they are a bit wobbly on the rules side, after all there was a time not so long ago when I had to be re-taught how to play. I don't mind if a kid has no idea about tactics and just lines up his models and moves forwards shooting. Often I have suggested completely rerunning a turn in order to show them how to run their army better. If you don't shove it down their throat they always respond really well. I see it as my way of putting something back into the hobby.

Tournament players who power game I can cope with, because thats an aspect of the hobby needed to win a tournament (Controversial, flame me if you like, but keep it polite please.) Even the powergamers who can't switch off, and powergame in friendlies or pickups at the lgs can be entertaining in small doses, and teach you alot.

Rules lawyers, I fortunately don't have much experience of thank the emperor.

Rude people of any type I can't cope with and people who go on and on and on about how fantastic their army or they are drive me nuts.

chromedog
08-03-2009, 06:01 AM
I won't play against anyone under the age of 16 - as ALL of the <16s I've encountered have a bad habit of wandering off half way through a turn to check out something else.

I find either WAAc rules-lawyers, cheats and GW-is-the-only-wargames-miniatures-company-fascists to be utterly abhorrent to play against, too. I'm a kinda relaxed married guy. I gave up winning as an objective ages ago (I'm quite satisfied with my life and don't need to compensate with gaming accolades). The game's the thing these days.

Chumbalaya
08-03-2009, 06:11 AM
i.e. 'Hey! You moved that Rhino 12.01 inches!''

Maybe you should quit cheating:p

oni
08-03-2009, 07:37 AM
Rules lawyers, power gamers, immature kids.

I'm pretty sure I could play against someone with a personality as bland as a Lima bean and have a better time than playing against the above mentioned.

The Green Git
08-03-2009, 08:11 AM
Being a prick is one thing, making sure the rules are being followed is quite another.

QFT. You can ask that the rules be followed without using terms like "cheating" and "cheater". Likewise we are all human and make mistakes so if someone asks you to clean up a move or otherwise wants to check a rule that doesn't make them a "Prick" or a "Rules Lawyer". It just makes you imperfect or them unsure of a rule.

If someone inadvertently moves a Rhino 13 inches are they cheating? I don't think so... they just moved their Rhino too far. If they consistently move their vehicles farther than they should and refuse to accurately measure and err on the side of caution in questionable situations, then maybe they are cheating. Don't jump to that conclusion until it's warranted.

If someone doesn't think my understanding of the rules is correct, that doesn't make them an asshat. It just means we don't agree on this particular point. If someone engages in name calling, is unforgiving of mistakes and challenges every last movement, rule or outcome whether it affects the game then that is a behavioral issue, not a rules issue.

Blowupologist
08-03-2009, 08:26 AM
For me it's antisocial people in general. This is a game and the whole point of it is to have fun. If I'm playing with someone who is improving his experience at the sake of mine, then I no longer want to play that guy. Cheaters, whiners, powergamers (in a hobbyist environment), and jerks are all fairly good examples of folks I won't play with again. Also people who touch my miniatures without my permission.

But the worst, by far in my opinion, are the folks who are unhygenic. If you can't be bothered to use deoderant and take a shower before you show up, then I can't be bothered to play against you.

Dingareth
08-03-2009, 08:44 AM
People who have spouted off rules all game, despite you repeatedly showing them that they are wrong, and then blaming you.

Me: "Sorry man, your Valkyrie Hellstrike Missiles aren't Large Blasts."
Him: "Well isn't that just great for you then!"

Me: "Alright, now I get 5 attacks per Vanguard"
Him: "No, they only get 3! Stop cheating man!"
Me: "No, 2 base, 1 for charging, 1 for a Power Weapon and a Pistol, and then 1 extra for being near Kantor, just like the last three turns they were massacring you..."
Him: "Wow, where'd you find that cheat, Warseer?!"

Him: "Ha! Your Vanguard are mine, my Valkyrie is going to shoot it's one-shot Battle Cannon at them and kill them all!"
Me: "No it isn't..."
Him: "Why do you play suck a broken army and rules lawyer my army to nerf?"

...Must resist strangling urge!

Please, for the sake of the game, don't be like this guy.

Fantomex
08-03-2009, 08:51 AM
Heck, I game with a couple of friends some evenings, with a few beers and a few good albums.
I'm more the hobbyist, so a sound thrashing is pretty much the sum total of my tabletop warfare, but at least it's fun!
I couldn't play against snotty kids, cheaters, smellies, or just total dicks, as said before, it's a social game, can't say fairer than that..:D

chachi
08-03-2009, 08:58 AM
Belligerent rules lawyers!

Denzark
08-03-2009, 02:27 PM
people who think incomplete models are acceptable. If its missing arms don't put it on the table. Also people who think they are purists but try to nerf 'counts as' by vets like me who want to use their rogue trader models - just because you're too young to remember this minaiture doesn't mean its not official... (whippersnapper)

Commissar Lewis
08-03-2009, 02:31 PM
[QUOTE=But the worst, by far in my opinion, are the folks who are unhygenic. If you can't be bothered to use deoderant and take a shower before you show up, then I can't be bothered to play against you.[/QUOTE]

This, god, QFT.

Me and a friend went to our local store for an Apoc game once. By Freya's bosom, this one guy smelled like a damn open sewer. Every time he walked by was nauseating.

I mean, no offense to him, but c'mon. I know the hobby isn't the hippest thing on the planet and the GW store isn't a friggin club, but your in public for feth's sake.

Kahoolin
08-04-2009, 03:43 AM
Sneaks. I played in a tourney once where I killed this kid's Deathwing army with my Orks. It was a fun game - we seemed to be getting on well and all. It wasn't a total massacre even, I cut him some slack for the sake of fun (this was in 4th and he wasn't used to choppas I guess). I mean, he didn't seem too happy about losing but we shook hands at the end and all.

Next week I was talking to one of the judges (my club organized it), and found out this kid gave me 2 out of 10 for sportsmanship. Because he lost. Why would he do that? Did he think slashing the sportsmanship store of everyone better than him would make up for his crappy skills? I'm sorry but that just violates the spirit of gaming on every level.

Oh and silent powergamers in friendly matches. I play friendlies to chat, have fun, check out the other guy's army etc. Not be nailed to the wall by some idiot savant who treats me as if I'm the AI in a friggin computer chess match.

Xas
08-04-2009, 06:32 AM
unhygienic people

people who question my (perfect) rules knowledge AND dont even know the rules themselfes; I have no problems with teaching people the game if they accept what I and the rulebook say. Neither do I hold it against you if you want to have a nice discussion about a complicated rule and know your stuff. But those people that insist that my gaunts sitting next to a hive tyrant actually roll a pinning check against a common sniper rifle DO WIN a one way ticket to the moon.

people that smack how much their army would kick your but and when asked out to proove it the army was left at home.

people that want to do theoryhammer but dont even know the basics about statistics'n'probability (or however that science is called in english).

people who cheat (I dont care if the rhino moved half an inch more once in a game but I can get angry if you want to pull a first turn charge with non-fleeting infiltrators on foot!)

so in genreall: people that stink and/or waste my time.

Zman
08-04-2009, 08:45 AM
This, god, QFT.

Me and a friend went to our local store for an Apoc game once. By Freya's bosom, this one guy smelled like a damn open sewer. Every time he walked by was nauseating.

I mean, no offense to him, but c'mon. I know the hobby isn't the hippest thing on the planet and the GW store isn't a friggin club, but your in public for feth's sake.

Are you sure he's not a Nurgle follower?? :D

Ash
08-04-2009, 08:51 AM

Walkers can turn to shoot in the shooting phase, because they are walkers. That one is in the rules.

Ash
08-04-2009, 09:07 AM
Family, I hate playing my brothers, yet I do this weekly. We have 30 years of build up desire to destroy each other. It all comes out every game. The tension grows every turn especially if it is a close game.

That being said I think that people want to eat their cake and have it too. Rule Lawyers tend to rain on this parade. You might want to move your LR into a position giving cover to the rest of your troop and still shoot at your desired target. However it does not mean that you can. Rules Lawyers take the fun out of the game by making you have to think and plan your move strategically.

I think that the Rules Lawyers that have been described up to now are less Rules Lawyers and more of Just *** HOLES. If you are going to play the game play by the rules. other wise you might as well playing with plastic army men in your backyard.

Aldramelech
08-04-2009, 09:41 AM
People who play the "rules" rather then play the "Game"

This is supposed to be FUN after all is said and done.

If you must win at any cost, go play with Micheal Schumacher!

I heard a story from a Friend the other day. He was playing at a local tournament and what you had to do was mark your opponents painting and sportsmanship on a scale of 1-10. The guy he was playing told my friend that he had borrowed the army from someone so my mate gave him a 1 for painting. The guy got really upset and demanded to know why and my mate said "You didn't paint the army, so how can I score your painting?" He then gave my mate a 1 for sportsmanship!

This is why as a rule I tend to stick to friendly games with people I know.

Jwolf
08-04-2009, 10:07 AM
If the painting score is for the models, it doesn't matter if they're borrowed. If it's for the player's painting skill, a borrowed/bought army is reasonably scored low (if not zeroed).

I HATE 1-10 sportsmanship scoring, as revenge scoring is a significant issue. But I've also received low painting scores for a nicely painted army from opponents as revenge scores, so paint judging is also an area where player scoring is undesirable to me as well.

VinceBlack
08-04-2009, 10:19 AM
Cheaters plain and simple. I have seen every type from the guy who I played a small 1000pt game with and as I saw him deploying I thought he had too much on the table... asked to see his list and it was almost 1300pts. To the people who fudge dice rolls, bend rules, etc...

RocketRollRebel
08-04-2009, 10:39 AM
People who refuse to write a list and insist on sneaking in an extra 500pts of their army and then when you beat it spend the next week gloating about how they let you win...:mad:

People who scootch by measuring the distance really quickly and then moving the minis before you can argue that they may not be in range of your guys... yeah same guy haha

People who whine about how they went to a tourny and were eaten by Nob bikers, 3 land raiders or dual lash ect ect. Its a tournament. You should expect the most over the top D-Bag lists and be prepared to counter them and stop whining about how your army cant compete. Yeah some armies have a bit of an uphill battle but it can be remedied by playing smart and good tactics and a little bit of luck.

Lastly since I saw it a bunch on here is people who give low sportsmanship to someone just because they had a cheesy army. When I go to a tournament I will shamelessly bring out the big guns but I also enjoy talking with my opponent about his army or the hobby in general and I try to be as courteous as possible and try to make some new friends when I go to a tourny away from my local gaming store. That being said I still try to grind their army into the dust. :p

Commissar Lewis
08-04-2009, 11:20 PM
Also, a minor thing I hate... well not so much hate as it grinds my nerves, is the Jammers strategic asset in Apoc. Yes it is a valid strategy and can be useful, but to me it borders on ****ing cheating and I view it as a poor sportsman move.

It's a one-way ticket to D-bagville. Which I really hope my friends aren't taking it for the Apoc game this Thurs. I dunno, maybe it's just me, but the Jammers seem spiteful and out of place in a friendly game.

Liquidice
08-05-2009, 12:01 AM
To be honest, the whole rules-tyrant thing is ok, the way i learned how to play (correctly) was through them. The whole problem is that you just need to be polite about it, and have a rule book handy and show the rule. This works well with the younger audience, because just reading the rule book doesn't really work to well with the young'ens. It's all about attitude guys.

The one type of player that enrages me arn't even the ones i play against. What bothers me the most is the players that intentionally changes the rules agaisnt the less-expierenced players. IE last week saw a oler guy playing maybe a 13 year old and telling him his multi-melta has to be 6 inches away for the 2D6 armour pen.

just my two cents..

Grabnutz
08-07-2009, 08:43 AM
Me.

I've been playing Warhammer on and off since I saw Gary Chalk and Rick Priestley playing in Westminster Hall in the early eighties and showing off this new game.

Since then I cannot remember winning a single game on my own. And honestly its been great fun and I really don't care :D

Cheers,
Grabnutz, the worst general in warhammer history.

Vepr
08-07-2009, 09:22 AM
I love playing against kids as long as they have the maturity to be patient, learn the game, be a good sport, etc. Most of my horror stories are with under-15s though.

The second round of 'ard Boyz, my opponent was a 9-year-old kid. He had never played 40k (or any wargame) before, he was borrowing his brother's army, and didn't have a codex. He had read the rulebook once through but hadn't grasped the basics of the game yet. After about 5 minutes of him looking through the rulebook trying to remember how the phases went, I ended up telling him where to move his units, which targets to shoot and why, talking him through the whole game "okay, now roll these dice. You need a 3+ because your guys have ballistic skill 4, and your best target is this squad over here because they are outside of cover now." I ended up massacring him (I was doing my best to help him but . . . its 'ard Boyz . . .) and he started crying at the end. He called and had his mom pick him up after the second game. I felt terrible but . . . it's 'ard Boyz. I can't think of a worst place to have your first game, and at 2500 points, too.

I think we found our worst gamer. Making little kids cry! Dark of heart and bereft of humanity you are!!! ... :p ;) :D

keithsilva
08-07-2009, 09:48 AM
I hate powergamers and rule lawyers. I also hate the players that cry and wine when they dont win, and at the end of the game they try to come up with reason why they lost, like i just made this list up for fun, i really didnt fell like playing, or come up with some rule thats not even in the book. For exsample, I was playing this guy and when 5th came out and the game ended I told him i won because i held more objectives, but he said no it was a tie reason being his lord was in combat with my squad that was holding an objective and they cant hold an objective if they are in close combat. I told him that my squad is with in 3 inches of the objective and your prince wasnt when 3", so i held it and i won. He tried throwing rules at me, told him show me where in the rule book and i will accpet it, couldnt find it got pissed packet his stuff up and left. The funny thing is he didnt even have a rule book of his own. Ever since then i will not play him agian

DevilUknow
08-07-2009, 09:53 AM
The worst player is one who brings the wrong game face to the table.

40k has a pretty harsh split personality as far as what is acceptable depending entirely on where and when you play.

It can be a casual hobby game where friends enact battles with fluffy well painted armies and generally good but fuzzy adherence to the rules.

It can also be a cut throat, tense war, where cheating pays dividends, armies need to have 3 colours and nothing more and fluff only gets in the way of a hard stompy force.

Where you have fun is up to you, but don't bring the mentality of one table to the other or you'll just ruin it for everyone.

blueshift
08-07-2009, 01:03 PM
...It can also be a cut throat, tense war, where cheating pays dividends, armies need to have 3 colours and nothing more and fluff only gets in the way of a hard stompy force.

I totally agree with that... but i am totally in the leisure camp. when i was younger i was a douchey power-gaming pre-ard boy. but now i juist play to unwind and get away from reality for a couple hours.

Being around people that acted like i did, i can totally relate, but that doesn't mean i tolerate them. Rules-lawyering, belligerant, loud, obnoxious gamers are probably the worst.

Erazoender
08-07-2009, 03:07 PM
I don't mind powergamers, rule lawyers, or anything else. I just hate those snobby kids which think that they can bend the games rules to suit their condition, and claim you are cheating. Those fat ones especially. (Not fat people, the fat snobby rich kids that get whatever the hell they want whenever they want.)

The only thing I have against powergamers is when they don't let people know that they are powergamers. I enjoy games with them, it is much more fast paced, but I need to know I'm playing against them so I can bring them down to their own terms.

Valkerie
08-07-2009, 07:23 PM
Rules lawyers who don't know the rules. Also, those who say I can't do something because they read it in an FAQ, but don't bring in a copy so everyone can read it. I've played one a few times, and it gets really annoying when you have to show him the rules in the book, and he still argues that his interpretation is right and the rules are wrong.

the_killer23
08-07-2009, 07:57 PM
RAI lawyer? That's a new one.

ChaosLord127
08-08-2009, 01:04 AM
Hmmmm, I started when I was 11 (17 in a month), and I like to think that I'm not a pain :)

Anyway, I think the worst players are the ones who aren't playing the game you are. Guys who walk over from somewhere else and start telling you how to play and how your army works, even though you know.

imperialsavant
08-08-2009, 04:25 AM

;)Well my answer to a jerk like that is I would never play him again or if I had to in a Tourny I would "do unto him"

Regards Barry H.

Khestra the Unbeheld
08-08-2009, 09:10 AM
Exploiters. The ones who go out of their way to find loopholes within their Codices (sometimes multiple Codicies) that allow them to go beyond the scope of the Rulebook's rules, because "Codex trumps Rulebook".

TheKingElessar
08-08-2009, 09:34 AM
Walkers can turn to shoot in the shooting phase, because they are walkers. That one is in the rules.

Did you read my post? You can only turn to face a TARGET. If you didn't have LOS to it before, it's not a legal TARGET. You can't shoot things behind you.

Anyway, I think the worst players are the ones who aren't playing the game you are. Guys who walk over from somewhere else and start telling you how to play and how your army works, even though you know.

Holy hell, people trying to help you? :mad:

Madjob
08-08-2009, 10:11 AM

I think the sort he's referring to are the kind that come over and start outright telling you you're doing it wrong, parroting things they heard on the internet for optimized builds or strategies without even considering why you might be playing the game, or criticizing how you modeled your army.

I'd have to agree with him. I've haven't had someone pull it on me yet but I've seen it happen to people who didn't need any such 'coaching' and it really rubbed me the wrong way. These are the sorts of people who will talk smack at a tourney and then get waltzed over by the actually competent players, complain about cheese, and then go off and act high and mighty around the players who don't give a crap about competitive play and just want to have a good time.

DuskRaider
08-08-2009, 10:45 AM
I absolutely hate playing against people with no tact or taste. Especially those who completely disregard fluff.

gwensdad
08-08-2009, 11:30 AM
People who call you stupid for your troops selection ("only an idiot takes vehicle squadrons!")

People who demand you show them every rule you're using, then refuse to do the same when you question their troops abilities.

People comparing the "canon" of the game to other games' canon without really knowing either (NO! A WARHOUND TITAN IS WAY BIGGER THAN A BATTLEMECH! AUGH!)
(whoops, sorry about that last one)

Game store owners using loaded dice (never actually proven, but he bragged that he knew how to do it and had pairs of "lucky dice" used in various games)

Non-miniature players (in this case it was a Magic player) who come over to your game in progress and just pick up miniatures without asking and start making comments about how their addiction is so much better than ours. :o

Players who talk about how flexible their play style is, then always play the same army list.

Players who forget it's a frakin' game.

Players who go online and complain about the people they've played against and...Oh crap....

ChaosLord127
08-08-2009, 12:30 PM

No, people who are trying to explain your entire army to you... the best term I can think of is a back-seat player. Madjob got what I meant.

I think the sort he's referring to are the kind that come over and start outright telling you you're doing it wrong, parroting things they heard on the internet for optimized builds or strategies without even considering why you might be playing the game, or criticizing how you modeled your army.

I'd have to agree with him. I've haven't had someone pull it on me yet but I've seen it happen to people who didn't need any such 'coaching' and it really rubbed me the wrong way. These are the sorts of people who will talk smack at a tourney and then get waltzed over by the actually competent players, complain about cheese, and then go off and act high and mighty around the players who don't give a crap about competitive play and just want to have a good time.

Exactly.

The Girl
08-08-2009, 04:57 PM
The folks that can't take losing. If you're going to participate in a competative game, you need to be able to deal with losing if you're going to play. Throwing temper tantrums is for 3 year olds...

Zman
08-08-2009, 11:12 PM
I don't think the worst players are spanish players. Every player who like discuss for every rule, every action or every rolling of dices is the worst. Spanish people are just stubborns with the spanish version of rulebook and codex, but the fault is from GW Spain who's don't traduced fine the codex and rulebook.

Wannabe_Hero
08-10-2009, 02:15 AM
People that rush the game too much. Makes..me..so...mad..

Norbu the Destroyer
08-10-2009, 02:00 PM
The "worst" kind of player is someone who takes no joy in playing the game. No one likes to get stomped, or lose for that matter, but it happens even to the best of us. During the games I dont expect everyone to be Richard Pryor or anything, but smile, make a crack or two about a situation. In my humble opinion gamers need to learn that if you are no fun to play against no one will play you and then how can you get better.
The more you tumble the dice the more you get to experience and that is what makes you better. So if you are going to do it a lot, have some fun, who knows you might even make a friend or two out of gaming

Aldramelech
08-10-2009, 02:21 PM
The "worst" kind of player is someone who takes no joy in playing the game. No one likes to get stomped, or lose for that matter, but it happens even to the best of us. During the games I dont expect everyone to be Richard Pryor or anything, but smile, make a crack or two about a situation. In my humble opinion gamers need to learn that if you are no fun to play against no one will play you and then how can you get better.
The more you tumble the dice the more you get to experience and that is what makes you better. So if you are going to do it a lot, have some fun, who knows you might even make a friend or two out of gaming

Well said!

Thiselton
08-10-2009, 02:34 PM
I also would say that I, at least proficiency wise, am the worst player, I just pick an army to field based on what I've painted, it makes for some ghetto 2k fights!

Chaos
08-10-2009, 02:43 PM
Someone who has to check the rules several times in a single turn and people who take the game wayyyyy to seriously

blueshift
08-12-2009, 02:04 PM
I also would say that I, at least proficiency wise, am the worst player, I just pick an army to field based on what I've painted, it makes for some ghetto 2k fights!

hahahaha

Thiselton wins for the most self-loathing post. :D

During the games I dont expect everyone to be Richard Pryor or anything, but smile, make a crack or two about a situation.

Agreed.

People always like playing with me because I always make jokes about real life. I can always tell which guys are the douchebags by people who never crack jokes, sweat a lot, and knock over their models during the movement phase.

TSINI
08-12-2009, 04:36 PM
my vote goes to people who get angry whilst playing

any slamming fists on tables, throwing things, or generally screaming = complete loser to me, and therefore worst player

on a similar note, people who argue anti intuitively just because they NEED to win. they make second worst.

Kahoolin
08-12-2009, 05:27 PM
my vote goes to people who get angry whilst playing

any slamming fists on tables, throwing things, or generally screaming = complete loser to me, and therefore worst player.YES. I forgot about these guys. Some people just need a good punch in the mouth in order to gain some perspective on life. Sadly it'll probably never happen to most of them and they'll keep cruising along, over-reacting violently to life's everyday frustrations...

eldargal
08-23-2009, 02:13 AM
Teenage boys* who sit there staring at my chest for the whole game, and then accuse me of using feminine wiles to win (it's not like I wear low cut tops).
Teenage boys* who ask me if I paint naked.
Teenage boys* who tell me if I lose I have to take my top off.
Grown men who try and pick me up at any point during an event.
Anyone who sits there chewing food with their mouth open and spraying bits of food all over my army.
Anyone who assumes I am there because my boyfriend (which I don't have) is there. I admit I got into the hobby through my brothers but I've had an army of my own since I was 8.
People who assume I can't play well because I'm a girl.
People who assume I can't play well because I'm a girl and then accuse me of cheating when I beat them.

I was once accused of being bad because towards the end of a really tense campaign game I made a lucky save which ended up winning the game for me. All I did was give a little laugh of pure relief, and the player took it that I was laughing at him.

Re actual bad players, as in losing a lot, there is this one chap in my group who for years simply could not win. I don't know if anyone remembers but in Gorkamorka you have to win a battle to be able to upgrade your orks or some such, anyway after two weeks of this campaign and 8 battles he still had not one, I ended up throwing a game against him out of pity. Thankfully one of the really experienced players took him under his wing and gave him a bunch off friendly matches without people watching so teach him how to play better. He still loses 90% of his matches but he does pose a challenge now. He is incredibly sweet about it too, never any bitterness.

*Most of the male teenage players have been fine, there are just afew which stand out.

Schnitzel
08-23-2009, 02:46 AM
Never played 40k competitively, however I can speak based on my experience from playing MTG back when I was younger. Its the kids 13 and under who are the least fun to play. You either get a kid who doesn't really understand them game and whines, or you get a cut-throat merciless lil bugger. The can be quite vicious. And rarely courteous.

Aldramelech
08-23-2009, 03:59 AM
Teenage boys* who sit there staring at my chest for the whole game, and then accuse me of using feminine wiles to win (it's not like I wear low cut tops).
Teenage boys* who tell me if I lose I have to take my top off.
Grown men who try and pick me up at any point during an event.
Anyone who sits there chewing food with their mouth open and spraying bits of food all over my army.
Anyone who assumes I am there because my boyfriend (which I don't have) is there. I admit I got into the hobby through my brothers but I've had an army of my own since I was 8.
People who assume I can't play well because I'm a girl.
People who assume I can't play well because I'm a girl and then accuse me of cheating when I beat them.

I was once accused of being bad because towards the end of a really tense campaign game I made a lucky save which ended up winning the game for me. All I did was give a little laugh of pure relief, and the player took it that I was laughing at him.

Re actual bad players, as in losing a lot, there is this one chap in my group who for years simply could not win. I don't know if anyone remembers but in Gorkamorka you have to win a battle to be able to upgrade your orks or some such, anyway after two weeks of this campaign and 8 battles he still had not one, I ended up throwing a game against him out of pity. Thankfully one of the really experienced players took him under his wing and gave him a bunch off friendly matches without people watching so teach him how to play better. He still loses 90% of his matches but he does pose a challenge now. He is incredibly sweet about it too, never any bitterness.

*Most of the male teenage players have been fine, there are just afew which stand out.

LOL, My wife sometime asks me if I want anything in town, and I'll say can you pop into GW and pick me up some spray/paint/stuff, she'll then say "Oh no I hate going in there!" Apparently they all but point at her with their chins on the floor and say in a Neanderthal voice "Wooomannn UG! LMAO:rolleyes:

eldargal
08-23-2009, 04:14 AM
Yep, I've had that too. Walked into a store once and from a group of boys huddled in the corner heard "Oh my god its a girl!". I'm not complaining, its a male dominated hobby afterall, and most of the time its harmless.

LOL, My wife sometime asks me if I want anything in town, and I'll say can you pop into GW and pick me up some spray/paint/stuff, she'll then say "Oh no I hate going in there!" Apparently they all but point at her with their chins on the floor and say in a Neanderthal voice "Wooomannn UG! LMAO:rolleyes:

Aldramelech
08-23-2009, 04:33 AM
Yep, I've had that too. Walked into a store once and from a group of boys huddled in the corner heard "Oh my god its a girl!". I'm not complaining, its a male dominated hobby afterall, and most of the time its harmless.

Ive never understood why that is........ Especially when you take in the artistic and creative elements.

I for one would like to see more Girls/Women in the hobby, it'll certainly make a nice change from sitting across from smelly heavy metal Tshirt wearing boys who find it hard to string a coherent sentence together
whilst blinking from the sunlight they rarely see because they rarely leave their bedrooms! lol

TSINI
08-23-2009, 05:03 AM
This, god, QFT.

THIS!!!

unfortunately i know many of these people, and the strange thing is, if you waved a hot lady at them (who would probably recoil in terror as her eyebrows melted off) they still wouldnt change.

i also cannot stand any gamer who cries-screams-shouts-gets really really frustrated. i mean, its a game, we are playing a game. i had one guy get soooo angry with me for blowing up his landraider (i guess he'd never pitted it against a vanquisher before) he went red in the face, was swearing like a drain, started punching the table making my troops jump about. i simply started to pack away, wandered over to some other guys, and chatted with them. what a total baby

TheKingElessar
08-23-2009, 07:44 AM

Who doesn't?!?;)

Skragger
08-23-2009, 08:13 AM
The worst for me are the ones who dont read the rulebook or the codex. I dont mean memorize it, but even read it. My brother is like this, and playing against him is a nightmare.

We both picked up 40K in early 3rd ed, and he took a break from it and is trying to pick it up again now in 5th ed, but he wont read the gentle caressing rulebook! So he constantly claims that rules are one way when they havn't been that was for a long time, and then gets angry when you look it up in the book... he's 26 but acts like a 12 year old if you dont trust his poor, poor calls.

And he routinely asks other people to make his army lists for him because he doesn't know whats "good" in his (space marine) codex.:mad:

ChaosLord127
08-23-2009, 10:15 AM
I for one would like to see more Girls/Women in the hobby, it'll certainly make a nice change from sitting across from smelly heavy metal Tshirt wearing boys who find it hard to string a coherent sentence together
whilst blinking from the sunlight they rarely see because they rarely leave their bedrooms! lol

Amen :cool: That would be so awesome to play against a girl. It would add some variety. :) That and I have never met a female player, which makes me sad.

gwensdad
08-23-2009, 03:31 PM
Amen :cool: That would be so awesome to play against a girl. It would add some variety. :) That and I have never met a female player, which makes me sad.

Not sure why the "GW hobby" doesn't have that many women in it. If seen them play all sorts of other games-when I LARPed it was about 50% female, D&D is about 25% around here, and at a Monsterpocalyse tourney last night had 1 woman player (out of 8 participants).

Sounds like time for a new forum thread on Woman players in the hobby...

BlacknightIII
08-23-2009, 03:36 PM
Those holier than thou players annoy me.
Sore losers and sore winners
defeatists
powergamers who play only to win
gloaters who brag on an on about how amazing they are
people who build the armies based on theory then complain when it fails.
People who are not only easily distracted but also play massive horde armies at the same time.
Just to name a few!

gwensdad
08-23-2009, 03:39 PM
I admit I got into the hobby through my brothers but I've had an army of my own since I was 8.

So, in 2 years or so my PINK SITH should be ready to start:

http://www.kentjakway.com/Babypictures/2008-04/images/april_2008_image35.jpg

We'll see if she can handle SPACE HULK in a few weeks.

(hmm, that picture is over a year old. Better get her something else to practice those kindergarden skills on, like some spare grots.)

gwensdad
08-23-2009, 03:41 PM
Who doesn't?!?;)

I know someone who painted and did all miniature assembly naked-until an unfortunate superglue accident...

Ignatius
08-23-2009, 04:42 PM
Poor sports with no manners pretty much covers it for me. But poor hygine can also be no fun if you are downwind.

TheKingElessar
08-23-2009, 09:32 PM
My new pet hate is morons who don't correctly understand the term WAAC.

WAAC = Cheaters, not just competitive players.

eldargal
08-23-2009, 10:25 PM
I've made one:
http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/showthread.php?t=1119

Not sure why the "GW hobby" doesn't have that many women in it. If seen them play all sorts of other games-when I LARPed it was about 50% female, D&D is about 25% around here, and at a Monsterpocalyse tourney last night had 1 woman player (out of 8 participants).

Sounds like time for a new forum thread on Woman players in the hobby...

oldone
08-24-2009, 08:18 AM
i hate powergames which butt in on games IE at the school regionals 2 years ago my friend was winnig a game of WFB and the power game who ws a theacher just butted in and started arguing with my friend and the guy he was play against because he didn't like the way they where measuring movement.
also people who hate luck annoys me i was playing a game against my friend in our local GW and my friend got lucky and a plasma cannon scater on to my battle wagon and destoryed it and the guy just start rating about that can't happen and just getting on my nevers

i just saw some comments about under 13 year olds. i still in school and i play at the school club and most of the guys are awesome:D but there r the odd one who dosen't know all the rules but will listen to any who will teach them it which takes no more then 30 sceonds but i do adimt it dose get annoy after the first 50 odd rules

thehod
08-24-2009, 09:38 PM
#1: Cheaters. People who intentionally break rules like trying to spawn models in vehicles. Another is magical wargear appearing on people when you notice its not on their armylist. Others who really fudge distances. I dont mind mis-interpretation of the rules or people forgetting some stuff. Dice cheating is an iffy thing to catch unless its loaded dice. Worse was a guy who didnt model his guardian platform weapon so it magically was a brightlance one turn and a starcannon the next.

#2: People who slow play on purpose. Finishing a game on turn 3 is not my idea of fun and its the guys who take 45 min to deploy 30 marines and vehicles who really miff me (I can understand 180 orks or 120 guardsmen). Worse are those who slow down the game questioning every roll, movement, special rule, looking up the rule book even when you explain what you are doing and still insisting on seeing the what is the AP of a bolter.

#3: Players in tournaments who complain about your army, their army, missions, edition changes, complain about how cheesy your army is and how unfluffy it is. Its a tournament, I expect to see the toughest lists there unless otherwise.

#4: People who put no effort into painting their armies and just throw on 3 colors but the models look like an abomination on the table top. I can tell which models have been given effort and those that were sloshed 3 colors and based. I dont mind if people buy a pro-painted army if they dont have the time or skills to paint.

Phoenikuz
08-24-2009, 09:50 PM
#1: Cheaters. People who intentionally break rules like trying to spawn models in vehicles. Another is magical wargear appearing on people when you notice its not on their armylist. Others who really fudge distances. I dont mind mis-interpretation of the rules or people forgetting some stuff. Dice cheating is an iffy thing to catch unless its loaded dice. Worse was a guy who didnt model his guardian platform weapon so it magically was a brightlance one turn and a starcannon the next.

#2: People who slow play on purpose. Finishing a game on turn 3 is not my idea of fun and its the guys who take 45 min to deploy 30 marines and vehicles who really miff me (I can understand 180 orks or 120 guardsmen). Worse are those who slow down the game questioning every roll, movement, special rule, looking up the rule book even when you explain what you are doing and still insisting on seeing the what is the AP of a bolter.

#3: Players in tournaments who complain about your army, their army, missions, edition changes, complain about how cheesy your army is and how unfluffy it is. Its a tournament, I expect to see the toughest lists there unless otherwise.

#4: People who put no effort into painting their armies and just throw on 3 colors but the models look like an abomination on the table top. I can tell which models have been given effort and those that were sloshed 3 colors and based. I dont mind if people buy a pro-painted army if they dont have the time or skills to paint.

Quoted for truth! Those four types are what I'd classify as the worst players. Although, number 2 is somewhat fair, if playing a friendly game. Hell, I've got a regular opponent who doesn't play in tournaments, but simply takes a long time to play. He knows that, and thus he doesn't enter tournaments.

Also, and that might just be something more local (i.e. Danish) but I'm not too keen on players who have read about a cookie-cutter-kill-everything-in-turn-one armylist and then just built that list to play and win. I'd rather prefer a player who has just a small interest in playing the game as a story. And don't rely on cookie cutter armies.

Of course, the problem has been taken care off due to various Army Selection restriction systems in the Danish Tournaments :)

j-orge-287
09-02-2009, 02:21 PM
I officially hate people who come over to a table you're playing at see you're having a good time and ask if they can join in. It is themost annoying thing ever (especially if they are10 years old and say they can win a tournament and to cap it all off say your playing wrong and p*** you off as soon as they deploy):mad:

I also officially hate people who swagger around the store and have an engraved trophy on them, you play them, start winning and they try and bend the rules with a high voice and tears in their eyes:mad:

Do you know who else I officially hate... Grasses. I was playing a game a while back and the store was running a campaign. This kid comes up to us and says "what campaign are you playing?" I say "none" and he goes "you have to play a campaign, i'm telling the staff" I'm like fudge off you ***. Then later this kid was barefoot for a laugh, the same kid saw him and yells"urghh, i'm telling the staff. What a prick:mad:

JavaKnight
09-02-2009, 02:30 PM
I hate gloaters that guy that spooks you and tell you gona fail your 2+ inv save and when you do he rejoice in it and gloat about it. Thats when I want to jump over the table and give him a good bashing. :mad::mad::mad::mad:

R3con
09-02-2009, 03:13 PM
I've had very few bad games, but I try to talk to an opponent before hand. If I get a bad vibe from the guy, my cell phone suddenly rings on vibrate and I've gotta go. :rolleyes:

EmperorEternalXIX
09-02-2009, 03:58 PM
I guess I have sort of a unique perspective. My main pet peeve is the "side gamer." Named such for the fact that he wanders over to the side of your table, briefly overlooks the battle with no idea what phase, scenario, or player turn you are in, speaks up and offers his tactical or rules advice.

You know the guy. You and your opponent are playing. A third party, perhaps waiting for his own opponent to finish a lengthy movement phase or some such, moseys on over.

You, firing a multi-melta: "Okay, need a 3 to hit. Okay, got a hit. Rolling 2d6 for armor penetra--"
Side Gamer: "But you only get 1D6 for armor penetration!"
You: "I know. I'm firing a multi-melta."
Side Gamer: "Oh!"

The thing that makes the side gamer annoying isn't that he often walks into situations and jumps the shark without knowing the full extent (I can't tell you how many times my enemy rolls leadership tests at a negative, fails, but the side gamer gives him a friendly reminder of his guys' unmodified leadership, for example). Probably the most annoying side gamer moments are when he actually INFLUENCES THE OUTCOME OF YOUR GAME.

Opponent: **moves some models toward an objective, not heeding your THSS Terminator Death Squad around the corner from it**
You: **stone cold game face**
Side Gamer: **comes up, looks at opponent moving models** "Well why are you gonna do that, aren't you afraid of those terminators?!"
Opponent: "Oh crap, I forgot!!" **rearranges models movement to avoid charge and wins the game because you can't make assault and reach the objective**

These guys are by far the worst for me, because they are common and often mean well. They will annoy you in a myriad number of ways:

Side Gamer: **points to squad you already moved** "Aren't you gonna move these guys?"

"Well if you move them there that's one thing, but if you move them here you will probably get the charge..."

"You rolled a 2, he has a 3+ save"
"No, I gave him artificer armor..."
"Oh."

You: "I'm gonna tank shock your squad..."
**squad is lasgun-equipped guardsmen**
Side Gamer to opponent (without looking at the board or being near the table): "Don't forget you can do Death or Glory!"
Opponent: **sigh**

You: **fire a lascannon and fail to destroy a tank** "Dammit, only got immobilized."
Side Gamer: "Aren't lascannons AP1?"
You: "No."
Side Gamer: "I'm pretty sure they are. You should double check."
You: *waste time looking up obvious, well-known statline*
Side Gamer: "Oh. Okay, nevermind."

TheKingElessar
09-02-2009, 06:16 PM
What if a side gamer points out cheating though?

I ask, because I once did so, in a game where one player thought ALL Lightning Claws had the Rending rule - it would have allowed him to destroy a Dreadnought he was stupid enough to charge. Okay, I can see it not being my business, but as far as I knew it was a deliberate attempt to cheat the opponent.

Scoota
09-02-2009, 07:24 PM
Yes Rule Lawyers are probably the worst. If not them then the I MUST WIN! type people drive me insane too. Im not talking people who enjoy winning or are focused on winning a bit more than fun, but people who if they dont win go nuts. I stopped playing at my local GW because of those type of people.

Oh, I used to play against one of these guys. He would spit it when I wiped out a unit - the number of times I almost flipped the table on him! (Don't tell him that I let him win most of the time.)

There was a game that he asked to control some of my units, many moons ago (3rd Ed), where it was my Tau against Khorne CSM. As soon as it looked like Khorne were going to win, he suddenly had "someone he had to go meet". Unfortunately for him, I managed to turn it around and win. Haha.

Sux to be a sore loser.

Datadep5
09-02-2009, 09:38 PM
The kids playing really annoy me. It's the ones that don't have the patience to play a 3 vs. 2 game at a Games Day event. This kid started rolling his dice while everyone else was paying attention to the other side of the board. "I killed all those guys, " he told me. I tried to explain that I didn't see the roll, nor did he ever declare which squad he was shooting, but when I was about half way through it... he was already rolling for another squad....

I wanted to have words with his father when he showed up, but I bit my tounge.

Vuron
09-02-2009, 10:42 PM
Side Gamer > Kids > Rules Lawyers.

Personally I don't mind playing rules lawyers. I hate it when a side gamer is a rules lawyer.

Arc
09-03-2009, 01:28 AM
I really dislike people that rearrange their moved models again and again and again , everytime moving a little bit closer to me, until they are within charging distance.

Aceshigh
09-03-2009, 02:01 AM
I hear what you guys are saying luckly at the shop I play at we dont have to many of those guys. See were i would get myself into trouble is I would just say something to him because thats the type of person I am. Also because I cant stand people who do that

volrath8754
09-03-2009, 10:28 AM
Sore losers are the worst in my shop. We have this guy who players orks and for the love of god he used to be horrible at the game. But after the new ork codex his army is rough as hell for anyone. However he still *****es and moans about this squad or that squad dying when it clearly doesn't mean s(*$ about the outcome of the game. And heaven forbid if anyone should beat him you might as well pack up and head out becaues he will be wining about it for the next hour or two...

bigmackdadd
09-03-2009, 07:48 PM
for one, take minor offence to the talk about how younger players are bad, I started the hobby when i was 13, and i'm in high school now, but i believe that there must be a four-way tie between people who are rules lawyers, but don't know what they are talking about, but still believe they are right, and people who play cheezy army lists, and people who cheat(worst), and jerks who seem to only want to argue with you when you r just trying to enjoy your game, and complainers, and i do not believe that it is truly fair to judge a race. period, but also tournament players are generally the worst of a society, and they only want to win stuff, so just take that into consideration when you play one, even for fun, because competition brings out the worst of us.

---------
the toughest will always be the wolves of Fenris for they are clinically insane-Torgadon on the toughest legion in Horus Rising

TheKingElessar
09-03-2009, 08:20 PM
I disagree with that. Tournament players don't have to be jerks at all, jerk are jerks whether they are competitive or not. 'Cheesy' is also a matter of opinion, and a worthless value judgement, IMO. GW makes stuff better/worse than other stuff for a reason, why not use it if it's better?

eldargal
09-03-2009, 08:45 PM
I've recently taken a great dislike to players who harshly criticise the painting skills of new players.

BlacknightIII
09-03-2009, 09:06 PM
I get annoyed when people try to tell me how to play my army or try to tell me how the game will turn out or explain the mathhammer to me mid game.

"You know if you move there im just gonna shoot them with my plasma."
Ive got invo saves
"Psh ill just charge the leftovers with my units and kill whats left"
Good luck
"If i kill that unit ill have taken out your last anti tank unit you sure you wanna risk em?"
Yup
"I have a potential 30 shots at that squad there."
Would you let me take my turn in peace please?
"I just thought you should know that..."
*sigh*

Prometheus
09-03-2009, 09:48 PM
I have played against alot of gamers that made the game not worth my time and even "painful" so its hard to say who the worst type is overall. I think "the worst" gamers end up being in three categories for me. They are...

1) Beginners - This group is made up for alot of kids (8-12 year olds) and a few older gamers who just started a new army. This group tends to not bug me so much as I know its coming and can prepare. I use to work in a hobby shop so I have taught alot of people how to game and have dealt with being asked 45 times in 3 rounds "How does a Space marines shoot?" I havce to admit though that if I am at a tournament and my opponent doesn't know what Night Fight is I may get a little bugged. But hey we were all newbies at one point right.

2) Rule ****s - This group is probably the number one reason alot of people have "unfun" games. These gamers seem to argue every single thing they can to try and gain the upper hand. These gamers never point out when they might be doing somthing not by the letter though. I find it odd that these gamers who poor over the rules so they can call them out to you seem to miss RULE NUMBER ONE in the rule book, which is HAVE FUN. I love asking a Rule **** what thier least favorite type of gamer is, they more then not say Rule ****s. This is probably beacuse when two rule ****s game the game takes about 14 tiems longer then it should.

*It should be noted that not all Rule ****s are bad some (although they are few and far between) actually make the game more fun by reminding us that rules are there to try and make things fair and balanced.

3) Power Gamers - Much like Rule ****s these gamers forget the number one rule and again like the rule ****s they poor over the rulebook and each codex looking for that thing GW missed that will allow them to totally annihilate their opponents on turn one before they even get to move for the first time. Now let me say this, I like winning and I think we all do, but that not what power gamers like they like destorying thier opponents. I think its perfectly ok to have a "cheesy" unit or two in your army, especially if it fits the theme. Heck I often use a Deamon Prince of Slannesh in my Plague marine army beacuse it is effective, but I don't sit at home and calculate which model kills more statsically more often then other models just so I can statsically beat my opponent more often then he beats me. I have always said 40k is a game made of 3 elements- The gamer/stratedgy, the rulebook/codex, and d6. You can be great at one, deal with what GW gives you, and the d6 is all up to chance.

In the end win, lose or draw we have all had crappy games. And I am sure we might have been the reason our opponents have had ones too occasionally. The thing to remember is that this is a hobby not a proffession or lifestyle (althouygh it takes up as much as as either) and the most important rule to rememeber is to have fun.

countenescu
09-03-2009, 11:15 PM
Cheaters = my least favorite players. I especially find it vexing when I watch a cheater cheat the pants off a new player. That makes me feel so awesome I can't help but tell the cheater how I feel about him as he's playing.

My second least favorite player is the "back seat player" who stands behind you while you're playing and he's clearly not involved in the activity but feel the need to tell you what he thinks is the better play (which usually isn't).

And I think my third least favorite player is the guy that gets sore with you because he doesn't know the BRB or his own stupid codex and he gets mad when you suggest the correct rules to resolve the situation to him.

I have no problem with people who get intense about the game so long as they don't fall into the other three categories and don't smell like raw sewage. They could even trash talk and it wouldn't bother me. . . so long as they can handle some back. I'm fine with people who NEED to win. Just so long as they don't cheat to get there.

deadmanwade
09-04-2009, 02:08 AM
As someone who knows the rules fairly well, reads up on the rules forums on the net and regularly checks the FAQs I always try and make sure my opponent A) knows the mistake he has made when I correct him, B) learns the correct way to do things and most importantly C) has a chance to take back his move and do something different.I dont believe in pulling rules out of my *** to force a last minute win, but I do like my opponents to stick to the rules as presented and not some free-form game they have going on in their heads.
I hope this doesnt make me a "Rules Lawyer"

For me, the worst kind of people to play against are those who whine and complain about things. I have a friend who complains about every dice roll, every wound taken, every save I make. Its really annoying especially when he wins. The same player does argue rules when he thinks it will get him an advantage. Even when the rule book states he is wrong he will argue until his opponent concedes or at least agrees to roll a D6 to settle it. At a recent mini-tournament he tried to use his own house rules to beat his opponent. When every other player there including the judge told him he was wrong he suggested that he and his opponent roll off for it. I thought blood was going to be spilt.

Aldramelech
09-04-2009, 10:07 AM
I've recently taken a great dislike to players who harshly criticize the painting skills of new players.

New players who have made an effort to paint should always be encouraged, Criticism is fine so long as its constructive and helpful advice offered. Slagging it off is a big no no.

doublek666
09-05-2009, 10:40 AM
how's about your buddy who writes his list at the store looking at your fully painted army, tailors his list to counter every squad you have (limited because you only play with fully painted squads), then proceeds to borrow, proxy and use unpainted models some with no arms, weapons, primer. Hell why bother building, painting anything just come down with your non existent list and 'pretend' you have a pretend army

Aldramelech
09-05-2009, 12:33 PM
how's about your buddy who writes his list at the store looking at your fully painted army, tailors his list to counter every squad you have (limited because you only play with fully painted squads), then proceeds to borrow, proxy and use unpainted models some with no arms, weapons, primer. Hell why bother building, painting anything just come down with your non existent list and 'pretend' you have a pretend army

I wouldnt play him......

thehod
09-11-2009, 11:28 PM
I've recently taken a great dislike to players who harshly criticise the painting skills of new players.

I harshly criticize players who put no effort into painting their stuff or model stuff to an advantage. If someone comes to me with a horrible model but I know they put effort, I will offer some advice given I ask if they would like some advice.