Veteran Squad: 3 plasma guns, Chimera w/ multi-laser, heavy flamer

Fast Attack:
Scout Sentinel Squadron: 3 autocannons

Hellhound w/ multi-melta

Hellhound w/ multi-melta

Heavy Support:
Leman Russ Battle Tank w/ heavy flamer

Demolisher w/ heavy flamer

I've put together a hybrid list for semi-competitive play. The CCS and melta vets rush towards the flank of the enemy, burning out tanks while the Platoon hides in the rear of the table and defends objectives while taking potshots at transports. The one vet squad with plasma guns helps clear out enemy objectives and provides some anti-MEQ. The Sentinels help the platoon pop transports and light vehicles. The Hellhounds roll up to the enemy's ranks, clearing a path for the rest of the force. The Demolisher pretty much helps the whole army all-around and the LMBT provides some anti-MEQ without getting too close to the action. What do you guys think?

Chumbalaya
11-18-2009, 12:36 PM
I'd prefer 2 Demos over 1 and the LRBT (redundancy, Demos > LRBTs anyway), dropping your infantry 'nade launchers should do it.

Aristocrap
11-18-2009, 12:46 PM
Hmmm, alrighty. I'm not sure how often my squads would get to use their grenade launchers anyway, seeing as how far I position them from the enemy. I was considering dropping the Sentinels because the infantry already has transport-killing autocannons. With the points, I'd probably take a pair of Griffons to support the Chimera advance by wiping out infantry.

Jwolf
11-18-2009, 01:10 PM
A Valkyrie/Vendetta would get you more mileage than all Chimeras, too. Try dropping a Hellhound and adding a Valkyrie with Multiple Rocket Pods.

Aristocrap
11-23-2009, 10:43 AM
I decided to go the full mechanized route, and swapped out the platoon for two more vet squads. In addition, I put the Hellhounds into a squad, took out my sentinels, and added two Vendettas. (not in squadron)
I added a squadron of two Griffons, and replaced the LMBT with another Demolisher. The CCS now has an OoF. I had more free points than I thought. With the changes, it comes out as exactly 2000.

HQ- 175:
CCS: 4 meltaguns, Officer of the Fleet, Chimera w/ multi-laser and heavy flamer

Troops- 825:
Veteran Squad: 3 meltaguns, Chimera w/ multi-laser, heavy flamer

Veteran Squad: 3 plasma guns, autocannon, Chimera w/ multi-laser, heavy flamer

Veteran Squad: 3 plasma guns, autocannon, Chimera w/ multi-laser, heavy flamer

Fast Attack- 520:
Hellhound Squadron:
2 Hellhounds w/ heavy bolter

Vendetta Gunship

Vendetta Gunship

Heavy Support- 480:

Ordnance Battery:
2 Griffons w/ heavy flamers

I think it looks a bit more competitive and I have more of my bases covered. (Anti-GEQ, MEQ, ect.)

bonedale
11-23-2009, 11:13 AM
I disagree with Chumb, but frankly my experience with guard is limited. Demos and LRBTs are very different in my mind. Based on range of course more than anything, devastator squads, or anything that is light armor that threatens your chims/demo need to be taken out, and the LRBT is a good tank for that. The Vendettas will be busy with AV14 and 13.

So I would drop a demo for a LRBT or even a Manticor. Something that can make the opponent focus on your backline instead of your chimera/demo push.

I would also consider replacing a hellhound with a Bane Wolf. Redundant with the Demo in a sense, but if you are like me, MEQ is what you primarily face, and any attention you can draw from your troops is always good. Besides two scary MEQ killers, demo and bane wolf will help one of the two survive.

Aristocrap
11-23-2009, 12:52 PM
I'm not sure I want to replace a Hellhound with a Banewolf, as they'd be squadroned and they're meant for different roles. My FA slots are filled by the Vendettas, so I wouldn't be able to fit anything else unsquadroned.

I'm not real sure what to think of replacing a Demolisher. I'd think they work better in pairs, though.