PDA

View Full Version : GENCON: Warhammer: Diskwars from FFG

Bigred
08-15-2013, 01:30 PM

“The cost of victory is blood, the cost of defeat is everything.”
–The Empire at War

Across the Old World, armies of Orcs, Chaos Daemons, High Elves, and the Men of the Empire collide. Heroes spur their regiments into battle. Soldiers die. Lesser armies are annihilated. Victorious commanders become legends.

Fantasy Flight Games is pleased to announce the upcoming release of Warhammer: Diskwars, a game of heroes, regiments, and ferocious battles!

What Is Warhammer: Diskwars?

Based on the original Diskwars game design by Christian T. Petersen and Tom Jolly, Warhammer: Diskwars is a fast-paced, tactical battle game for two to four players that can be played in an hour or less. It has been updated to its new setting within the Warhammer world and features flexible rules for hero-centric army-building. Additionally, whereas the original Diskwars was a collectible game, Warhammer: Diskwars has moved away from the blind buy model, and the Core Set includes everything you need to play the game.

At the core of Warhammer: Diskwars are its disks. Each disk represents a hero or unit from the Old World and comes complete with its own combat statistics, traits, and special abilities.

What makes these disks truly unique, though, is the way that players maneuver them around the battlefield. To move a disk, you simply flip it end over end. Thus, each disk’s movement doesn’t just involve a starting point and end point; it has a whole path, and as it moves, it interacts with terrain and other disks it overlaps.

Whenever a disk flips in such a way that it covers up another disk, the disk on top is considered to be “pinning” the disk below it. This prevents the pinned disk from activating, and at the end of the round, overlapping disks must fight each other. By maneuvering carefully to pin your opponent’s units, you can strike them down, seize control of the battlefield, and win the day!

http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_news.asp?eidn=4295

archimbald
08-15-2013, 01:41 PM
Sounds funny, in a bad way, like people laughing at a special needs kid. In fact that's what this seems like, the special needs kid of the WH family.

( P.S. No offense to special needs people, as most of the ones I know rock!)

SadisticMagician
08-15-2013, 01:45 PM
Remember Warhammer? It's back, in Pog form!

NockerGeek
08-15-2013, 01:53 PM
This was embarassingly bad when they released Diskwars: Legend of the Five Rings years ago. A Warhammer Fantasy version is no less embarassingly bad.

aznthecapn
08-15-2013, 02:01 PM
Its a board game. Its not meant to replace WH Fantasy. My gaming group doesn't dig wargames (recently some have gotten into MERCS which is nice) but this might be a gateway for them. Get them hooked on the lore and story and idea of it, then slowly rope them in. I think it looks like fun. They've vastly improved the ranged mechanic it seems. The change from collectible to "living" (to borrow FFGs LCG term) is also a welcome change.

bfmusashi
08-15-2013, 02:40 PM
This is totally not treating the epic battles between the ratmen and the anthropomorphic hippie trees with the respect it deserves.

Jay Adan
01-18-2014, 01:49 PM
My son and I did a review, in case anybody is interested.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xo9bQ-FeORE