PDA

View Full Version : space wolf 2000pt Unbeatable???

burning crome
11-19-2009, 05:23 PM
The Unbeatable bit a lie it just their to get you lot to have a look.

Ok your all probable sick to death of seeing these, but here another 2000pt SW list. A few notes on what I trying to do and how I plan to play them. The list is basically what I got model wise (with a few cosmetic alterations and some scratch building for the thunders). Hence the Prometheus which I really couldn’t leave out in all it forge world glory. Combined with the very nice TL HB dread that I’ve got (some else I couldn’t leave out ) I took the heavy bolter as a bit of a theme.
So I went with long fangs at the back, they will be backed up by the Prometheus in case they need to move or get threatened by assault. The split fire ability will let the rune priest get off living lighting against transports or light tanks whist the long fangs do what their best at. The dead will stick around them or walk up to where ever the rhino GH end up to offer some CC counter ability. Since the Prometheus is a dedicated transport for the priest only one reserve role need to be taken to get both of these units on the table, whilst not great it may be useful in some scenario’s (possibly).
The gray hunters in the LRR will form my aggressive objective takers. I gave them another rune priest for some back up. Murderous hurricane seems to be the default power, and I gave him JOTWW to see what it can do!
The thunders and wolf lord are basically a cut and past job of what people recommend. I’m hoping they tie up the opposition and generally be annoying. I’ll hide them behind the LRR and rhino’s on the way in and then try and use them to stop any counter attack units or mobs bunting my main force. (I will probable end up using denied flank tactics most of the time)
The last two gray hunters packs do that it says on the tin. I’ll try to get them forward and pop any tanks using the rhino hatches in the first few turns them get them on the objectives. With only three scoring units I may be in a bit of trouble in high objective counts games.
OK here the list see what you think

HQ
Wolflord, Saga of the Warrior Borne, Thunder Wolf, Storm Shield, Runic Armour, Frost Axe - 255pts
Rune priest 100pts living lighting and murderous hurricane (goes with long fangs)
Rune priest 100pts murderous hurricane and jaws of the world wolf (goes with gray hunters in LRR)
HQ Total 455pts

Elite
Dreadnought with TL heavy bolter 120pts
Elite total 120pts

Fast attack
Thunder Wolf Cav (5) - 250pts
Fast attack Total 250pts

Troops
Gray hunters x 10 plus melta gun + melta gun free + rhino total 190pts
Gray hunters x 10 plus melta gun + melta gun free + rhino total 190pts
Gray hunters x 10 plus flamer + plasma gun free total 150pts (will travel in LRR)
Troops Total 530pts

Heavy support
Long fangs x 5 with heavy bolters (4) total 95pts
Land raider redeemer with multi melta total 250pts
Land raider Prometheus total 270pts (counts as DT for one of the priest so dose not take HS slot but will leave it here for simplicity)
Heavy support Total 615pts

Total 1970

As you can see I’ve got 30pts to play with as well.

Chumbalaya
11-19-2009, 07:01 PM
Heavy bolters as theme? Eh. They can hurt infantry, but don't do anything to vehicles. If you had more missile launchers/autocannons and melta you might do better.

How about something like so?

Wolf Priest w/ lightning, tempest, chooser
Wolf Priest w/ lightning, jaws
Dread w/ TLHB
2x MM Dreads
4x GH, melta, Razor
2x 3 TWC, 1 thunder hammer, 1 storm shield
2x 5 Long Fangs, 4 missile launchers, Razorback

1990 total

Not so much the Land Raiders (can you even use a Prometheus without opponent's permission?), but lots of light armor and heavy bolters, with enough dakka from missile launchers and melta to hopefully put a hurt on armor. TWC do hilariously awesome things as usual.
2 Typhoons w/

burning crome
11-19-2009, 07:42 PM
Thanks for replying was getting a bit worried that every one now hates SW so much that I get nothing back.
You can right about having to ask about the Prometheus but it should be to much of a problem since it generally consider overpriced for what it dose, and that before the latest FW update knocked it down to 10 capacity. I’m not planning to take it to tournaments or any thing.
As I said I got the model and petty much every thing else listed. Those sky claws I've got are going to have to lose their packs to become GH but other than a few tweaks and leaving my squad leaders at home every thing else is there (bar TWC and another rune).
I can see what your trying to do with the list you proposed. I did have a look at SW horde idea. You can get six squads in rhino’s and three rune/long fangs squads to use the fire control trick for 1725pts leaving you with a few point to play with. The problem with those list is that I was woefully uninspired by them for some reason they all seem dull and I just know that I’d never get around to assembling let alone painting such a list.
Below is the list I was going to go with for quite some time but it just didn’t really seem to spark for me. (note the Prometheus gets dubbed down to a crusader something I was never quite happy with since I not a fan, and the dread get left out all together + I Had to go find 30 BC form some where or use LF models some how)

HQ
Wolf priest 100pts (go’s with blood claw in LRC)
Wolf priest 100pts (go’s with blood claw in LRC)
Rune priest with jump pack 125pts (go’s with sky claws)
Rune priest with jump pack 125pts (go’s with sky claws)
HQ Total 450pts
Troops
Gray hunters 10 plus melta gun + plasma gun free + rhino total 190pts
Gray hunters 10 plus melta gun + plasma gun free + rhino total 190pts
Total 380pts
Blood claw pack 15 with flamer plus free melta gun = 225pts
Blood claw pack 15 with flamer plus free melta gun = 225pts
Total 450pts
Troop total 830pts
Fast Attack
Sky claw 5plus flamer 5pts total 95pts
Sky claw 5s plus flamer 5pts total 95pts
Fast Attack total 190pts
Heavy support
Land raider crusader with multi melta 260pts
Land raider crusader with multi melta 260pts
Total 520pts

Total 1990pts

burning crome
11-19-2009, 08:34 PM
There are a few solutions to getting more high strength hitting power out of the list using the 30pts I’ve got left. First off is swapping the HB for ML on the long fang for +20pts leaving ten for the chooser of the slain. The problem there is it make them each 25pts with no abrasive wounds they become a very tempting target. The second is upping the GH flamers to melta’s (flamers may be a bit over kill with the LRR backing them up any way and I can always abuse the wording of JOTWW to get off a shot using the priest at a different target) and giving the TWC a fist making both those units able to go after armour. The second seems more likely but I don’t really want to use my expensive “ warrior born” lord tank hunting if I can help it.

burning crome
11-19-2009, 08:46 PM
It also might be worth noting murderous hurricane can be fire at vehicles. At st 3 it can’t hurt them directly but it them move in difficult terrain next turn. Might be worth doing to slow some thing down and the word unit means it would apply to entire squadrons. And you could argue it would also applies to skimmers since it says even if in clear terrain and it is a storm. Which makes it much more interesting.