PDA

View Full Version : Dark Angels Power Armor

Darkriver
08-24-2013, 10:22 PM
This is my Dark Angels project that I've been working on in time for Dragon Con. Robe will hopefully be finished within the next day or two. Will be adding a hood and some details (including red emblem stitched to front of robe, purity seals, etc) to this also. This is my first time playing with this and have learned tons on how to improve for next time. Comments and critiques always welcome. Enjoy!

SotonShades
08-25-2013, 04:33 AM
Great work mate. Do you have a backpack for it as well?

Couple of critiques; the body lacks bulk, which is something that is always difficult to get right on SM costumes (after all, we are simply not as bulky a 7'+ transhumans...). You need something to cover your neck, could literally extend just into the helmet/below the neckline of your robes, but it currently looks odd with exposed flesh. Maybe buy a cheap wetsuit of ebay and just use the shoulder and up? Lastly, the bolter looks very flat with the solid block colours. Either give it a coat of gloss varnish (probably looking more at stuff you'd use to make furniture than miniatures) or add some variation to the colour. Dust, wear and tear marks, battle damage and ornamentation such as kill markings or devotional iconography (especially good for DA) are great for that kind of thing :)

Hope that helps, looking forward to seeing more pics with the details you've all ready talked about.

Darkriver
08-25-2013, 07:55 AM
Soton, thanks for the tips. There are several good ideas I had not thought about yet.

I do have a backpack. I'm in the process of reattaching the top exhaust as I angled them the wrong direction the first time. Once the robe is finished, I will be bolting the pack directly to the chest piece. I also hope it will help to give a bulkier illusion. I do have a chest piece on under the robe, but everything else is clothes. I cheated because of time and unfamiliarity with working with these materials. Next year I'm planning on doing a fully armored marine (no robe) now that I have a little more experience.

The exposed neck was bothering me last night as well, as I thought I had taken account for that and was supposed to be right at the collar line. I realized that I forgot to put the padding under the chest at my shoulders to help raise it up. But I think I will end up extending further down into the chest to fully block it out. Good call.

The bolter received a purity seal on it last night that helps break up the flat area of the clip. I love the kill marks and devotional marking idea and am currently looking on how best to add those.

I began taping off and drawing out a squad marking on the right shoulder plate last night. Also began the cutting of the red emblem for the chest. The wife and I began to looks at it and will probably split the front of the robes and add a red cloth between the split. This should help break up some of the flatness toward the bottom of the robe. Then to figure out where to add the remaining 2 purity seals.

Keep it coming.

Darkriver
08-25-2013, 09:31 PM
Here is some progress done today. With the chest raised the neck is no longer visible. And my shoulders are enjoying the padding. Hoping tomorrow we can hem the front up some to just touch the ground and add in the side red fabric to match the front some. From there I can attach the backpack.

I think the minor details added today have helped more this costume along. I've got several more in mind. Only three days remaining before Dragon Con so we'll see.

Enjoy.

Darkriver
08-28-2013, 11:38 PM
Here it is in it's final stage. I'm happy with the results for a first timer. Next years will be better from what I've learned. Enjoy!

SotonShades
08-29-2013, 09:24 AM
Great Work mate. Still a few bits I'd change, but as you said, all things you can work on for next time. That is still by far and a way one of the better SM costumes I have seen.

Bigred
08-29-2013, 10:09 AM
I really like it Darkriver.

I think the armor itself is great - my only comments are on the robes / fabric part.

In general with anything Space Marines, I think you need to go with chunky oversized accessories to match the scale of the armor.

So stuff like belts, chains, censors, etc will stand out visually if they are oversized. I would avoid little fine filligree type of accessories as they just get lost in comparison to the armor.

Finally I would add on a strap for your bolter both to look cool, and to let you wear it over the shoulder so your hands don't get tired.

-Larry

Arkhan Land
09-06-2013, 09:16 AM
looks sweet, only thing it could use is a little more tall-shoes and a little more fabric