PDA

View Full Version : Warhammer Quest Apple app - your thoughts.

Wolfshead
09-02-2013, 08:21 AM
I'm going to be joining the digital age soon and getting me one of those new fangled smart phones. I'm not a Van Saar, meaning I don't know a thing about which phone out performs the rest or whether Android is better than Apple, nor do I really care all that much as I don't understand half that jazz anyway. The main deciding factor will be price. However, there is one other thing that may sway me one way or the other...

...is the Warhammer Quest game app any good? I know it's currently Apple-exclusive, so if it turns out it's a pile of pestilent pants Grandad Nurgle has left around for an age or seven I shan't feel bad about not bothering getting an iphone.

How well does it capture the tabletop game? What are it's good and bad points, in your opinions? Are there expansions or plans for some?

Also, if you'd be so kind as to consider a tangential questions, what other RPG-type games are worth a shot on the iphone (or, if you're that way inclined, Android)?

Wildeybeast
09-05-2013, 02:06 PM
It is basically the game in digital form. A top down, turn and tile based dungeon crawl with plenty of monster smashing. Characters level up, there are various supplies and magic items that you can buy and find for them. There are story quests to pursue as well as random crawls, though the story is pretty simplistic. The settlement visiting is pretty basic; buy supplies, train (level up) and pray for blessings being about it. You do get a few random events as you are out on your travels.
You start with 4 basic characters (chaos barbarian, wood elf, wizard and dwarf ironbreaker), greenskins and critters as the enemies. There are three additional characters to buy (trollslayer, warrior priest and high elf mage) as well as an expansion which adds Skaven and new tiles. There is another expansion coming later this month, not sure what that features but there will be an ogre character to purchase and a level cap increase)

My personal thoughts are that although it is fairly basic, I got really addicted to it. I levelled up every one of my characters to the max and bought all the additional content which is very rare for me. If you enjoyed the physical game, you will like this, even if it gets a bit repetitive after a while. Given it is so cheap, it is worth getting. I finally succumbed to Apple largely for this and I haven't regretted it. I played it on a ipad, not sure what it will look like on a phone.

In answer to your last question, not sure if it is available on the phone, but Knights of the Old Republic is available on the Ipad, which is always worth playing through.

Wolfshead
09-06-2013, 05:54 AM
Cheers for the reply, Wildeybeast! Sounds like it's definitely worth the money, then. Thanks for the help :)

Wildeybeast
04-11-2014, 12:05 PM
Looks like this has now become free on the App Store.