PDA

View Full Version : Pricing Shenanigans (an interesting article for you Aussies)

Kaptain Badrukk
09-06-2013, 04:09 AM
Recent discussion on GW and the $13,000 one click bundle got me thinking about prices, geo-pricing and those big projects we all love to undertake.
In the spirit of just that, and in building up to my move to Australia in just under 2 months, I decided to work out how cheapest to create a space marine battle company while still buying direct from GW in Aus. The Idea here being to get all the bits and models required to knock one out without being overly focused on wargear etc in terms of specififcs.

I am defining a Battle Company as such;
1 Captain
1 Chaplain
1 Command Squad with banner, apoth and champ and dedicated transport
6 10 man tactical squads, inc sarge hvy and special, with dedicated transports
2 10 man assault squads, inc sarge, with jump packs
2 10 man devastator squads, inc sarge and 4 heavys, with dedicated transports

SO here's the rub.
VIA GW in store in Australia
Space Marine Strike Force $350
Saves you $37 on the stuff you need and nets you a "free" Dread and a "free" sniper scout squad.
3 Assault Squads $165
2 Devastator Squads $110
5 Tactical Squads (for the extra ten men for the Devs) $325
5 dedicated transports $275
1 Chaplain $22
That works out at $1247

It's worth pointing out that if you get 3 strike forces instead of a lot of the individual bits you end up paying $45 dollars more for an extra 2 commander models, 2 more dreads and 10 more scouts. Which ain't bad. But it's not the cheapest way to get a COMPANY and that's what we're aiming for.

Now if one buys from Forgeworld we see a different picture. These individual prices are in £ but i've converted the final price to AUD.
Legions Astartes is the easiest way to get marines in bulk form these fellas, so let's have a look.
Legion Champion and Master of the Signal £22
Legion Command Set £25
SM Apothecary Set £20
That gives us our 6 men for the command squad and captain
1 Standard GW Chaplain $22
2 Legion Tactical Squads £320
1 Legion Assault Squad £136
1 Legion Heavy Support Squad £122
3 Legion Demios Pattern Rhino Sets £270
1 special weapons set and 1 heavy weapons set £23 (because you don't get enough)£
£938.00 =
$1598.09
add 15% postage and we get $1837.81
Add our chaplian and we're at $1859.81 BEFORE customs.

That really dispels the myth that GW plastic is just as expensive as FW in Aus huh?
On a side note, ordering our GW direct list from GW UK costs;
£488.20
which when shipped by GW to Aus increases by £229.17 to
£717.37
Converted to AUD that works out at
$1222.31
And there's no customs duty on this as far as I could tell (i'm new to the Aus customs websire so please correct me if i'm wrong).
So for big orders at least, it's a bit cheaper to buy through GW UK and have it shipped to Aus. That's a $25 saving for us AND a big "up yours" to GW who lose out on $415.22 which goes to UPS instead. For those of you who'd rather not give GW your money. Now obviously you can likely do all of this cheaper through eBay or you FLGS, and i'm not saying don't.
This was just an interesting exercise in math.
Thoughts?

Kaptain Badrukk
11-12-2013, 05:43 PM
Now a while ago I published the above, in preparation for my arrival in Aus I figured a bit of research was required after all.
I have since discovered that royal mail prices are in fact so good that buying from UK a ebayer and shipping here can save me upwards of $10 a box, sometimes as much as $30. I just have to be willing to wait 1-2 weeks for my toys.
Frankly I'm impressed.
anyone else out there doing this? Anyone Playing the geo-pricing game in other countries?