PDA

View Full Version : Painting Help PLZ!!!

tfkimmortal
09-11-2013, 06:21 PM
First off i apologize if this is the wrong place for this, but this is driving me crazy!

Anywho, i recently started painting my orks(yay!) and am loving the it, death skulls are so much fun to paint, but i have a lil problem now. They are no longer coming out the way they were. the first thing i painted were 20 Nobz, and they all look fantastic, an one of the key features of them is they all look a bit wet, like the shade didnt just dry out, it filled in the lines and cracks and leave most o the model generally looking...glossy i guess? but since ive finished them ive done a boy nob a biker nob and a couple of looters and they just keep drying out and looking dull same paints same techniques I even went out and bought new shades since i figured i might have diluted the old ones too much but no, it is still happening. People have suggested to use actual gloss to get the look but it doesnt work. I'm not sure what is wrong, its kinda upsetting, even my resin painboy looks amazing but these other things are just making me sad, and would like to what ppl have to say before i keep painting these, cuz too much shade and stuff ruins them.

I would put pictures of my stuff but i cant find a way to upload them :(

Wolfshade
09-12-2013, 02:36 AM
I really don't kn9ow what to suggest, it could be that the plastic is slightly different, or it still had some of its grease to release it from the mould so it looks damp.
You might try using an ink rather than a wash as they retain a higher "gloss" to the finish.

Psychosplodge
09-12-2013, 03:51 AM
Think you have to up the post count to add images :D

Kaptain Badrukk
09-12-2013, 03:55 AM
Atmospheric conditions can change the way your paint dries too, you turned the heating or aircon on?

tfkimmortal
09-13-2013, 05:24 PM
Alright thanks for the opinions, I'm not sure what to do, I've been told about inks, im just one of those ppl that like to see what something looks like before I do it, otherwise im hesitant. most of them, all but the last 3 models, were done in my room, and our building is climate controlled so its always(supposed) to be the same humidity and temp and all that. I actually just did one loota yesterday here that ended up the way I wanted it but the rest haven't. Its an oh well I guess, they all still look bad arse, just the dryer ones dont seem to pop as much, still get compliments either way :)

DWest
09-13-2013, 06:12 PM
One thing I might suggest is to get some matte spray sealant and spray everybody down with that; this will make the models flat rather than shiny, but it will be a uniform level of flat. You can then take some satin varnish and apply a thin layer of that to things that are supposed to have a "wet" shine. As an added bonus, the spray sealer will help protect from paint chips when the Boyz get set out to play.