PDA

View Full Version : Fortress of Retribution Sprues

Bigred
11-21-2009, 01:57 PM
Courtesy of: http://johnstoysoldiers.blogspot.com/

Enjoy guys!

mrphatman
11-21-2009, 03:08 PM
does anyone know if the Fortress of Retribution is a spash relese or a new item that there going to sell from now on?

The AKH
11-21-2009, 04:43 PM
The fact that they're bringing it out for the holiday season suggests to me that it might be a limited-release.

Bigred
11-21-2009, 04:45 PM
I've heard splash only available until stocks are out. Basically I'd be surprised if any are available after the holidays.

NealSmith
11-21-2009, 07:38 PM
I just hope they actually cover their pre-release orders this time...

Crevab
11-21-2009, 09:03 PM
My stockist was told he's getting one with maybe one or two more if stockists or stores don't want theirs

Duke
11-22-2009, 01:32 AM
All I know is that I have mine coming on wedensday! Noe I'm done till may when the ba dex comes out

BDub
11-22-2009, 01:46 AM
I've heard splash only available until stocks are out. Basically I'd be surprised if any are available after the holidays.

I cant possibly imagine that they would make molds for 4 sprues for a limited release. They may only be making limited runs for the holidays, to free up injection time for bulking up the mainstays, but I am sure after the holidays production will continue.

Of course they may have money to burn.

Mike X
11-22-2009, 02:35 AM
It doesn't say "while stocks last" in the official images like other splash items do/did.

mrphatman
11-22-2009, 05:40 PM
the thing is i wanted to get the Fortress of Retribution and a ork megabattle force but can only can aford one. i really regret not geting space hulk and don't want to make the same mistake with this.

Brass Scorpion
11-24-2009, 07:05 PM
If you Advance Ordered one of these Fortress of Redemption kits some of them shipped from GW Memphis as of today so that they'll be delivered hopefully by Saturday. Mine is in transit now and I am really looking forward to building it as soon as I get it.

Lord Azaghul
11-25-2009, 07:49 AM
Its a fantastic model, but compared to there other terrain prices (which are very good espeically for gw) it seems overpriced by about 20$. Its nice, but too rich for me at that price. I'm getting an imperial sector instead (christmas rerelease)

Bigred
11-25-2009, 09:28 AM
Has anyone else studied the boxes on the new large scale terrain kits like the Temple of Skulls, etc...

They are made in China, as opposed to all the other GW stuff. They are also made of a slightly differnt gauge of plastic, and have interesting plastic undersupport of a type you dont see in any other GW items.

I wonder if GW is experimenting with outsourcing on these oversized kits to test the waters. The China manufacturing might explain the low pricepoints on these massive kits compared to all the other traditional GW stuff.

Brass Scorpion
11-25-2009, 10:00 AM
Has anyone else studied the boxes on the new large scale terrain kits like the Temple of Skulls, etc...
They are made in China, as opposed to all the other GW stuff. They are also made of a slightly differnt gauge of plastic, and have interesting plastic undersupport of a type you dont see in any other GW items. I wonder if GW is experimenting with outsourcing on these oversized kits to test the waters. The China manufacturing might explain the low pricepoints on these massive kits compared to all the other traditional GW stuff.
Spending a lot of time in actual GW stores has afforded me many opportunities to see the corrugated shipping crates in which the product travels. Some of GW's cardboard shipping containers these days say "GW Shanghai" on them, such as for their Army Cases. Before the product gets to Memphis, TN for US distribution some of it is often traveling a lot farther than from the UK these days.

Sister Rosette Soulknyt
11-30-2009, 07:25 AM
Im planning to buy myself one for xmas and convert it all to the theme of my Sisters of Battle army.

lobster-overlord
11-30-2009, 07:42 AM
With the way some of the plates fit the sides, coming up with custom plates for SOB won't be hard. I'm doing it for my BA, so no conversions will be necessary, other than possibly making a different missile door with my chapter's emblem on it.

Brass Scorpion
11-30-2009, 10:38 AM
I got my Fortress of Redemption kit on Friday and already finished major construction. It is an awesome kit and very large. Now I have to figure out what colors I'm using to paint it.

If you are in the area and get the chance, stop by the HQ store/Battle Bunker in Glen Burnie, MD and check out the finished one painted by GW's John Shaffer, it's just beautiful.

Melissia
11-30-2009, 01:18 PM

They are made in China, as opposed to all the other GW stuff. They are also made of a slightly differnt gauge of plastic, and have interesting plastic undersupport of a type you dont see in any other GW items.

I wonder if GW is experimenting with outsourcing on these oversized kits to test the waters. The China manufacturing might explain the low pricepoints on these massive kits compared to all the other traditional GW stuff.

Huh. I wonder if the quality of it is as good despite being cheaper.

Brass Scorpion
11-30-2009, 02:08 PM
The Fortress of Redemption is made in China like a lot of the new larger plastic kits and I don't see any sudden loss in quality. If you own the Fortress kit or the Temple of Skulls or other recent scenery releases, you own something made in Shanghai. These kits are terrific to look at and of good quality.

My only quality criticism would be on the hinges and latches for the Figure and Army Cases. I've seen way too many of those in a broken condition and they are extremely difficult to impossible to repair. For such expensive cases, I'd like to see higher quality on these two weak spots.

ForeverHero
11-30-2009, 03:16 PM
I have to admit, the size is impressive. I pre-ordered mine from ythe local gaming store and it arrived on Wednesday. I've commissioned a friend to build it for me as he has been doing a wonderful job on updating our club and store's terrain. When he showed me the assembled tower I was shocked at how tall it is in real-life. I cannot wait until he completes the model because it will make an awesome center piece for my DA Battle company.

Cheers,

FH

lobster-overlord
11-30-2009, 03:24 PM
The quality is there, most certainly. I've found that the quality of the stuff made in the states is what is lacking. I've got some kits that are UK made and the same kit from the US is made with lower quality plastic and the details are softer, despite being made from master tools. I hunt out packs that say Made in UK over those that say USA Batch, and the china/shanghai stuff I've got no problem with picking up.

John M>

Lord Azaghul
11-30-2009, 03:39 PM
Actually the more I look at it (gw 'what's new' has it featured today) The less I like it. I like the turrets for a project I have in mind. But I think I'd be better of buying two more bastions.
Why: Those danged stupid skulls - I 'm seriously. Its like the piece of chaos terrian they released over the summer - huge gagantic skulls all over the place. Realist sized skulls make sense (sort of) but gw really, really over does the whole skull thing (like packing them in every crevas in ROB board)