PDA

View Full Version : A few Space Wolf Questions

S0ULDU5T
11-21-2009, 03:47 PM
I'm having a real hard time finding a purpose of the Iron Wolf. He's not an Independant Character so I can't join units so if I take him in a vehicle I want to go faster such as a transport I can't actually transport any other units but his which is pointless. I can give him some decent melee capability but I can get other units that do melee just as well for cheaper. I can make him really mobile but this seems practical only for lists that have a lot of armor in it and not a 1500 point list with maybe a single land raider or a dreadnaught.

Also, I know this is a rules question but I can't seem to figure it out - does a model in terminator armor get the +1 attack for a storm bolter and power weapon? I know you do for a power weapon and pistol but since a terminator model can use a storm bolter with one hand, I just wasn't sure.

Also, if Arjac is part of a squad as an upgrade model and the rest of the squad is destroyed except for him, is he allowed to join another unit as an IC?

The AKH
11-21-2009, 04:40 PM
The other thing Saga of the Ironwolf does for the Iron Priest is give him +1 to his Repair rolls - I can see this being a more obvious benefit. The other thing you could do would be tool up 3-4 combat monster heroes, have them join the Iron Priest, and have them zoom towards your enemy's deployment zone in a Land Raider.

Terminator armoured models don't get +1 attack from the power weapon/stormbolter combo, despite the fact they hold stormbolters in one hand. The only ones who can do that are Grey Knights. You only get +1 attack from two close combat weapons, two pistols, or a pistol and a close combat weapon.

If Arjac's squad is destroyed, he becomes a one-man unit - he is not an Independent Character, just a unique Wolf Guard model.

MightyOrang
11-21-2009, 05:16 PM
i'd have to look at the codex again, but i seem to recall the guys at 40k Radio talking about putting him in a unit with wolves and on a thunderwolf ... and then sending him out to wreak havoc with his power weapon and servo arm.

frankly, i think he's a waste of an elites choice.

DarkLink
11-21-2009, 11:50 PM
Terminator armoured models don't get +1 attack from the power weapon/stormbolter combo, despite the fact they hold stormbolters in one hand. The only ones who can do that are Grey Knights. You only get +1 attack from two close combat weapons, two pistols, or a pistol and a close combat weapon.

Yeah, and we don't get charge bonuses:mad:. Cause, ya know, Grey Knights are way broken...:rolleyes:

Chumbalaya
11-22-2009, 01:01 PM
Iron Priest works bets riding a TWolf and running with cyberwolves. A surprisingly hitty unit, all things considered.

Termies don't get +1A from power weapons and storm bolters, only from dual wolf claws, power swords, powerfists, or thunder hammers

RedScorpionsGirl
11-22-2009, 01:18 PM
Yeah, and we don't get charge bonuses:mad:. Cause, ya know, Grey Knights are way broken...:rolleyes:

Grey Knights are not broken...I honestly wish people would stop saying this. This is an old codex, written for rules from what, two editions ago? How can you call it broken, when it's not even set up for these rules.

If you want to start calling broken, point the finger at the new codexes that came out, and how each author is trying to out do and out kill the last new codex released. These were written WITH the 5th edition rules out, and in mind.

Craz
11-22-2009, 01:47 PM
I honestly think that DarkLink was turning the sarcasm up to eleven with that one. ;)

The AKH
11-22-2009, 01:55 PM
Especially considering he plays Grey Knights. :D I think GK players would be the last to call "Broken!" on their army.

With regard to what Chumbalaya said, a Thunderwolf-mounted Iron Priest with 4 Cyberwolves is surprisingly hitty - the unit is majority T5, with a S10 thunder hammer, and if you have a character with Saga of the Wolfkin in your army, the Cyberwolves are I5 as well. Other than that, there are better things you could spend your Elite choices on... namely Wolf Guard, Dreads, or Lone Wolves.