PDA

View Full Version : 2000 Mech Guard, comments please

Shadoq
11-21-2009, 09:46 PM
Evening all,
Looking for some comments on this list. I've been playing around with Guard, trying to figure out how to play them.

I play majority of the time Annihilation with pitched battle deployment.

I am also as you will notice, a tread head/vehicle guy.

HQ
Primaris Psyker- 70
Primaris Psyker- 70

Vet Squad w/3 GLs
Chimera-Multilaser, Heavy Bolter,Heavy Stubber-195

Vet Squad w/3 GLs
Chimera-Multilaser, Heavy Bolter,Heavy Stubber-195

Vet Squad w/3 GLs
Chimera-Multilaser, Heavy Bolter-185

Vet Squad w/3 GLs

Vet Squad w/3 GLs

Vendetta-130
Vendetta-130

Manticore-160
LR Executioner w/ PC Sponsons + Extra Armor- 245
LR Executioner w/ PC Sponsons + Extra Armor- 245

Total-1995

2 HQ
5 Troops
2 FA
3 HS

My thoughts so far:
-Primaris psykers are awesome. Games I've played, they've always done well and usually earn points back considering on average they get 6 shots at BS4 S6. Moving 6 inches in a Chimera, they are a great compliment to my 'Nade launchers

-Manticore, Executioners are a must as well. The amount of pain they put out is incredible.

-I like using the Vendetta to hit AV14 vehicles but I don't like the fact that it is the only weapon system in my list capable of dealing with AV14. Especially considering the size of the model as a target.

-I prefer 'Nade launchers because Flamers and Meltas are too short ranged shooting out of the back hatch of the Chimera and because I don't enjoy having Plasma guns blowing up in my face. I have enough risks with Perils of the Warp already.

-For the occasional (maybe 1 in 10) obj based game I play, 5 squads seems to be enough to deal with objs

-I hate 5+ armor saves so Platoons are out of the question.

Comments/Concerns/Hate Mail?

Chumbalaya
11-21-2009, 10:09 PM
Swap GLs for meltas (lose the extra armor and stubbers) and you're set.

You really need the help busting up armor and meltas do it best.

Also give your Chimeras heavy flamers in the hull to burninate infantry.

Shadoq
11-21-2009, 10:33 PM
I'll consider the meltas but I hate the fact that they're short ranged and really hindered by the fact they have to fire out of the back of the Chimera or get out. Getting Chims within 12/6 of the enemy is a dangerous proposition considering the lack of armor on them.

Dropping stubbers, no big deal, had the extra points.

Hull HFs for the Chims, again, no problem with that

Extra armor has saved my bacon so many times it isn't funny. Being assaulted by troops who hit on 6s versus auto hit is a big difference.

Polaris
11-21-2009, 11:48 PM
they have to fire out of the back of the Chimera or get out

Where do the rules specify you have to do that? Last I heard you measured shots from the hull.

Shadoq
11-22-2009, 12:00 AM
Where do the rules specify you have to do that? Last I heard you measured shots from the hull.

I can see how it could be interpreted differently but...

P. 39 IG Codex, Chimera page:

Fire points: "... but for simplicity we assume all shots are taken from the hatch."

You are referencing the mobile command vehicle bit:

MCV: "An officer embarked within a Chimera may still issue orders to squads. Measure range and LOS from any point of the Chimera hull."

The way I am understanding the RAW is that the shots are coming from the back hatch as mentioned above. I can see how the MCV bit would confuse the matter.

DoctorEvil
11-22-2009, 11:03 AM
I can see how it could be interpreted differently but...

P. 39 IG Codex, Chimera page:

Fire points: "... but for simplicity we assume all shots are taken from the hatch."

You forgot the earlier sentence that says " Five models can fire from the Chimera's top hatch". Now this is a somewhat confusing statement since the Access Point is in the rear, but do not confuse Fire Points with Access Points, they are two different things (reference page 66 of the 40k rulebook). Since we measure from the Fire Point, the question then becomes where the heck is the "Top Hatch"?

Chumbalaya
11-22-2009, 01:15 PM
Chimeras can take it up there. Keep them moving and assaulters will have a difficult time bringing them down (plus they get into great position to use the flamer on them).

I haven't found extra armor to be particularly worth it, considering how uncommon stunning is compared to shaken. The best protection for static tanks like them is infantry bubble wrap, a couple units surround them to prevent assaulters and meltas from getting too close.

Shadoq
11-22-2009, 08:31 PM
Re the top hatch:
My local game goup plays it as the back. Our theory is that that is where infantry would be carried, thus they would be shooting out of there. It would be kinda hard to get 5 guys in one turret :-D.

Now if I was playing tourney, I'd ask for clarification before kitting my troops special weaps

Heres an interesting thought, dunno about it's feasibility in game terms. What if I attach a HW team to each of the vets squads? Specifically the cheap as chips mortar. Could have 5 mortar shots the first and/or second turn, then mount up and use my assault weapons once the enemy closes range...

I find that interesting you don't get many stunned results. I seem to see em all the time. Either a 2 on a regular pen roll, or a 1 with plus 1 from melta that everyone carries. Or a 4 on a glancing roll.

mercer
11-23-2009, 06:52 AM
Does need more anti tank, and the meltas in the vet squads would fix that. A unit of plasma guns wouldn't go a-miss either. Rest is ok though :)

Lord Azaghul
11-23-2009, 07:52 AM
Evening all,

-I hate 5+ armor saves so Platoons are out of the question.

Comments/Concerns/Hate Mail?

That's why we have cover! Platoon take awesome advanatage of the new cover rules.

Thoughts on the list: a side from what the other have said (more melta, droping x-armour , hf on chimeras ect).

I don't think I'm in favor of 2 exectutioners, one sure, but two seems...well those are danged expensive tanks, and they can't really deal with armour. If it were my list I'd think either a standard battle cannon or demolisher would fit the nitch of both anti mech and anti-infantry.

UrielSynthesis
11-23-2009, 10:45 PM
You forgot the earlier sentence that says " Five models can fire from the Chimera's top hatch". Now this is a somewhat confusing statement since the Access Point is in the rear, but do not confuse Fire Points with Access Points, they are two different things (reference page 66 of the 40k rulebook). Since we measure from the Fire Point, the question then becomes where the heck is the "Top Hatch"?

Re the top hatch:
My local game goup plays it as the back. Our theory is that that is where infantry would be carried, thus they would be shooting out of there. It would be kinda hard to get 5 guys in one turret :-D.

Now if I was playing tourney, I'd ask for clarification before kitting my troops special weaps

Do you see that thing that takes up the entire top of the Chimera behind the turret, with the handles on it?

That's a big hatch.

I mean you have to put the doors on yourself when assembling it, and it's just like the rhino, i figured everyone would notice it.

zealot
11-24-2009, 02:28 AM
Firing 5 models out of the top hatch is perfectly legal and makes sense.

They'd take turns. :D