PDA

View Full Version : How is the balance?

Grabula
09-20-2013, 10:05 AM
Hey all, played my first couple of games last night after picking up some wave 3 ships. Our second game was 100 points. There was no solid strategy to our list building but I typically have confidence in point systems. I did however feel outmatched and just wanted to get some opinion. Here is my list:

Lando in falcon
Rogue squadron pilot
awing pilot (can't recall guys name but he was an 7 or 8 for piloting I believe)
Chewbacca upgrade that allows you to ignore a damage and get a shield back
marksmanship

His list:
Boba in firespray
lambda (4 pilot score)
Night beast
tie with 7 piloting I believe
darth vader upgrade for lambda
+2 piloting to pilot 7 tie

My but was like 'crap, he's got two large models! ', but then I reminded myself we are playing the same pt total. His dice were hot, and I had witnesses lol but I still felt outclassed. Double teaming the falcon with boba and the lambda saw lando dead in I believe 3 turns. A lucky crit on my awing causes 2 hull damage turn 3 and boom, I'm down to one lowly xwing.

Any thoughts on why I got beat up so badly?

Bigred
09-20-2013, 10:59 AM
Lambda's are garbage skows, and with the 360 firing on the Falcon, you should be able to keep it from firing most of the game, so you can concentrate on other ships. Night beast should be easily dealt with with your other ships while you go after Boba'a Firespray with the Falcon.

You should also mess around with B-wings. They are mean pieces of work, tough and with great damage output.

Grabula
09-20-2013, 01:50 PM
Lambda's are garbage skows, and with the 360 firing on the Falcon, you should be able to keep it from firing most of the game, so you can concentrate on other ships. Night beast should be easily dealt with with your other ships while you go after Boba'a Firespray with the Falcon.

You should also mess around with B-wings. They are mean pieces of work, tough and with great damage output.

I have the bwing but hadn't pulled it point of it's package yet. The lambda didn't seem like a big deal but put the Darth vader upgrade in there and it was crazy. Like I said, some of it was definitely hot dice on my opponents part. My awing never got to ffort a shot before that critical bypassed its shields and went straight to dead. Follow that up with 4 guys on the falcon from the firespray and 2 damage from the lambda (ignored by chewy, then promptly regained from his use of darth vader. Out was brutal. 1 dice of defense on the falcon sort of sucks lol. Guess it CAN'T oumaneuver those cruisers.....

nurglez
10-02-2013, 06:10 PM
The lambda and b wing both have agility 1, which balances things out. Of course, the best way to avoid incoming fire is to not be in their fire arc. I'm yet to use a falcon but I've played against one a few times, and they aren't hard to focus down, thanks to their agility 1. At least my firesprays have agility 2, but even then they can go down quickly too.

The biggest part of this game is the movement phase. Knowing how to block enemies, using asteroids for cover or barrel rolling/boosting to get out of fire arcs. I love it so much, although it relies on predicting your opponent too.
In a recent game my opponent blocked my firespray with an a wing, but couldnt take advantage of my lack of action. Next turn he tried the same with a shieldless b wing, but I had quite rightly predicted the block and moved my firespray as far forward as possible, bypassing it and destroying it with my rear fire arc :D

Nabterayl
10-05-2013, 03:50 PM
In my experience, the biggest drawback to any "Millennium Falcon" (i.e., YT-1300 piloted by Lando, Chewbacca, or Han Solo) is that the things drop very quickly to concentrated fire. I have a standing rule as an Imperial player to shoot the Falcon first with everything I have, while I still have everything, and before it can concentrate on outmaneuvering my ships while blasting merrily away with its quad turret. The key to survivability with a Falcon, I think, is the fact that you never have to worry about maneuvering to shoot somebody - all your maneuvers should be spent focused on not being shot at at all, since anybody who does get to roll attack dice has good odds of landing some hits.

My awing never got to ffort a shot before that critical bypassed its shields and went straight to dead.
Wait, what? Critical hits don't bypass shields. It should take at least three hits to put down an A-wing - one for each shield point, and one critical to take out both hull points.

D6Damager
10-14-2013, 12:58 PM
Wait, what? Critical hits don't bypass shields. It should take at least three hits to put down an A-wing - one for each shield point, and one critical to take out both hull points.

It's not a critical hit. It's the Vader crew member special ability where you take 2 dmg and deal a faceup damage card to an opponent. Its about the only thing that makes a Lambda worth taking.

Zebgoria
11-11-2013, 01:50 PM
I switched over to this game from warhammer. Love the quickness and ease of the rules. You don't often get in arguments over the rules unless its a measuring issue.